• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Cutty Flam

Banned
I've been feeling like replaying Fire Emblem TH. Dunno which house to choose this time, I was Golden Deer on my first play through.

I still have to finish Xenoblade and Bayonetta 2 (almost at the end for sure). And I still wanna buy a new game, dunno if I should go for the Mario All Stars Collection or Odyssey, or just wait for the new one coming.
Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, or Super Mario Galaxy are must play games if you've never experienced them. More challenging and complete platformers than Super Mario Odyssey. But Super Mario Odyssey does have a little bit of everything...I would still go for the 3D All-Stars, but Odyssey is definitely an outstanding game just the same. It might even take you longer than all three games in 3D-All-Stars to 100% complete. Well worth the price either one you decide on

gtrwll

HugeIckyKingbird-size_restricted.gif

Christ, what a goddamn RIDE. Thank you so much Newly Vacant Newly Vacant , @Thicc Team Six, @SLoWMoTIoN, @Eevee86 and everyone who forced me to finally play this gem. Finished it late last night and my mind is still stuck in AWESOME mode. I need a short break from long ass JRPGs, but soon I'll dive into Torna and the first Xenoblade as well.

Japan man. Dudes are saving gaming and we take them for granted. What a country.
Oh man, I remember that feeling SO well...one of those games I wish I never played so I could experience it all again.

Last edited:

Hudo

All gone, what were they?

Hoping Argos or Amazon put Astral Chain & Octopath Traveller on sale at some point. Missed Astral Chain when Curry’s were selling it for £29 in November and they don’t carry it anymore :messenger_pensive:
Ah, wow. Nintendo's Ninjas were pretty quick, huh?. They were songs from the Bowser's Fury part of the game; pretty good ones.

Hudo

Trolls aside,

What are your guys' favorite 3DS/DS hidden gems?

Flower Sun + Rain
Barnyward Blast: Swine of the NIght
Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ
Contact
Polarium

Those are all DS though. Looking for some 3DS too.

I'm kind of in the market in a sense
Hidden gems? Hmm...

3DS:

Miitopia
Ridge Racer 3D
Monster Hunter Stories
Tank Troopers
Sega 3D Classics Collection
Etrian Odyssey V (but I'm not sure that is considered a "hidden gem" ?)

DS:

Infinite Space
Bangai-O Spirits
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Pokemon Conquest
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (again, not sure if that is considered a "hidden gem"?)

Astral Dog

Trolls aside,

Flower Sun + Rain
Barnyard Blast: Swine of the NIght
Contact
Polarium

Hidden gems? ummm

Rune Factory 3 is pretty cool on DS, i like it because its advanced gameplay wise over the previous game and the Wii one (definetly much better paced)

VIRTUE last Reward was pretty interesting.
Mercenaries 3D is fun
FFCC Echoes of Time the best CrystalChronicles sequel
Probably more SE games, like Revenant Wings(?) i never played that one but heard its pretty good

Trolls aside,

Flower Sun + Rain
Contact
Polarium

7th Dragon 3 is just so amazing

SMT4A. Quite dark at places but also humourous too.

Shantae: Pirate's Curse

Fantasy Life

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Trolls aside,

Flower Sun + Rain
Contact
Polarium

Hidden gems are tricky for the 3DS - seems like most of the catalogue went under the radar and doesn't get the love it should, even the big name ones.

3DS:

Stella Glow
Ever Oasis
Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers
Monster Hunter Stories
Little Battler's Experience
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
7th Dragon III Code VFD
Rhythm Thief
The Inazuma Eleven series (May be JP and EU only)
The Alliance Alive
Sushi Striker (Plays best on 3DS)
Culdcept Revolt
Code of Princess
Shantae: The Pirates Curse

DS is old enough that it's easier to pick out the lesser known hidden gems

DS

Ninja Town (Cheap and awesome tower defence game - everyone should play it)
Thor - God of Thunder (A rare case of a movie title being good. Only the DS version is good however, steer clear of the 3DS version)
Custom Robo Arena
Infinite Space
Aliens Infestation
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
Scourge: The Hive
Soul Bubbles
Okamiden (Okami sequel on the DS)
Solatorobo
Metroid Prime: Pinball
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (Everyone forgets this exists)
Elite Beat Agents
Boing" Docomodake
Magical Starsign
Avalon Code
Pokemon Conquest (Pokemon SRPG)
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
Ghost Trick
999: 9 Hours. 9 Persons. 9 Doors
Chronos Twiin

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Trolls aside,

Flower Sun + Rain
Contact
Polarium

Hotel Dusk and it's sequel The Last Window don't get enough love.

cabbage5k2

Trolls aside,

Flower Sun + Rain
Contact
Polarium

Meteos for the DS is one of the best puzzle games I've played

Trolls aside,

Flower Sun + Rain
Contact
Polarium

On the DS, Soma Bringer (Japan-only Diablo-like from Monolith, with music by Yasunori Mitsuda).
I'll never understand why this wasn't brought to the West; at least it was fan-translated.

Aldric

Trolls aside,

Flower Sun + Rain
Contact
Polarium

Loved Dillon's Rolling Western on 3DS. Surprisingly long, challenging and mechanically interesting for such a low budget game. Great art direction and OST too.

Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, or Super Mario Galaxy are must play games if you've never experienced them. More challenging and complete platformers than Super Mario Odyssey. But Super Mario Odyssey does have a little bit of everything...I would still go for the 3D All-Stars, but Odyssey is definitely an outstanding game just the same. It might even take you longer than all three games in 3D-All-Stars to 100% complete. Well worth the price either one you decide on
The thing with All Stars is the limited time to buy. Maybe I'll buy All Stars collection and some other game (maybe Splatoon 2 or AoC).

I actually still have to finish Xenoblade Chronicles but I got to a point where I'm stuck. I'm too underpowered to do anything, fuck.

Cutty Flam

Banned
How much of a difference would it make if I got the Hori Split Pad Pro, considering I’m currently rocking a Goplay grip and it still cramps my hands.
Not sure, but in for answers as well. Idk why but ever since I got a Switch a couple years ago I've been really interested in all the controllers since Switch can play almost every one out there
The thing with All Stars is the limited time to buy. Maybe I'll buy All Stars collection and some other game (maybe Splatoon 2 or AoC).

I actually still have to finish Xenoblade Chronicles but I got to a point where I'm stuck. I'm too underpowered to do anything, fuck.
I would recommend those games to anyone. Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy all in one is the deal of a lifetime

Aldric

When do you guys think the news drought will end? Im hoping that in march we will get some info on a few new first party games this year.
Hopefully before the end of February, the last good Nintendo direct was two years ago at the same period (the one where they revealed Mario Maker 2, Astral Chain and Link's Awakening remake).

Umbasaborne

Banned
Yeah that's terrible. I don't know why they gave up on regular Directs when they can still easily put together Indies and 3rd party titles showcases.

my theory is that wfh basically caused nintendo to fly by the seat of their pants in terms of a solid release schedule. They were probably releasing things as they were ready, instead of by a traditional release calender. They probably didnt want to commit to dates or time frames they might not be able to hit. Its annoying, but i get it a little. I hope we can go back to real directs this year.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I just found this and wanted to share:

It's amazing how Mario Galaxy was built around lots of concepts they previously had developed and shown on 2006.

Thanks! I love re-watching these. I remember seeing this game for the first time via g4’s e3 coverage live in 06. This was the game that i got a wii for

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Thanks! I love re-watching these. I remember seeing this game for the first time via g4’s e3 coverage live in 06. This was the game that i got a wii for
Did it worth it for you? I had the wii with the game borrowed from a friend and I can say for sure that SM3DA worth it just for it.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Did it worth it for you? I had the wii with the game borrowed from a friend and I can say for sure that SM3DA worth it just for it.
For me it was. Galaxy is one of my favorite games of all time, despite some stars not aging particularly well, especially the wii mote gimmick ones. Its still one of marios most, grand fun, and creative adventures ever. Galaxy 2 was even better. I had a 360 and eventually a ps3 as well and those consoles are where i spent most of my time, but i always turned my wii back on for Nintendo's 1st party games, even if there were long gaps between those releases.

Woopah

my theory is that wfh basically caused nintendo to fly by the seat of their pants in terms of a solid release schedule. They were probably releasing things as they were ready, instead of by a traditional release calender. They probably didnt want to commit to dates or time frames they might not be able to hit. Its annoying, but i get it a little. I hope we can go back to real directs this year.
I think this is exactly what happened. We know that Pikmin 3 was supposed to come in the first half of the year and that Bravely Default 2, 3D World and the Famicom Detective remakes were supposed to come in 2020. None of that happened.

I'd guess that Metroid Prime 4 was originally a 2020 title too, before it got cancelled.

We didn't get a Partner Showcase in Jan, so I'm thinking we could get a Mini Direct this month ( along with the Pokémon remake announcements). I know it's Zelda's anniversary this month too, but I think they'll want to wait until the Mario celebrations are over before moving on to the next one.

Top Bottom