• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

I finally gave in and bought Sakuna.
Currently 2 hours in, and so far I'm quite enjoying it. I got destroyed by what I believe is the first boss (large boar-demon in red armour) - it being night probably didn't help (I only noticed after respawning outside the gate, so maybe it wasn't night yet when I fought him though?), and I finished my first rice harvest too so next try will probably be easier.
Also, mining spots don't respawn? This is going to be pretty annoying if true...

Jooxed

Gold Member
lduTVGn.jpg

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I’m thinking about either getting a Switch or an Oculus Quest 2, but the rumours of Switch Pro are giving me pause.
Did someone tried to play with a single joy on as a controller with a 3-year-old?

Hudo

I’m thinking about either getting a Switch or an Oculus Quest 2, but the rumours of Switch Pro are giving me pause.
Did someone tried to play with a single joy on as a controller with a 3-year-old?
Just out of curiosity, doesn't the Facebook online account gatekeeping with the Oculus Quest 2 deter you from buying it?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Just out of curiosity, doesn't the Facebook online account gatekeeping with the Oculus Quest 2 deter you from buying it?
Not really, I grew up without social media and after being heavily into FB around 2009 I then quit it cold turkey. My main account has long been deleted and I kept a dummy one with zero activity for when a lot of sites had annoying FB login option. So I’m not invested in the ecosystem in any way.

I was also at some point a heavy portable player - PSP, PSVita, DS Lite, New 3DS XL. I enjoyed the freedom and just gaming for a few minutes here and there. Now I have an XSX but I’m selling it since I realised it’s more of the same. On the other hand I would love to play Divinity 2, Disco Elysium and all the other games on Switch, not to mention all other jRPGs. I would not even touch them on the main console, the time investment is too much, but it might be possible on a portable.

TexMex

I've been slowly rebuying my old Nintendo collection, currently working on N64/GBA stuff. Can anyone tell me how there are so many reproduction carts available for sale? They look and function great apparently, and the auctions don't try to hide it, they're all labeled as reproductions. My question is for a company as litigious as Nintendo, how do they continue to operate? How have these market places not shut this down, or is it just completely legal? Is the problem too wide spread to stomp out? Seems crazy to me.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
I've been slowly rebuying my old Nintendo collection, currently working on N64/GBA stuff. Can anyone tell me how there are so many reproduction carts available for sale? They look and function great apparently, and the auctions don't try to hide it, they're all labeled as reproductions. My question is for a company as litigious as Nintendo, how do they continue to operate? How have these market places not shut this down, or is it just completely legal? Is the problem too wide spread to stomp out? Seems crazy to me.

It's a complicated one to litigate. Going after individual sellers who are only selling 1 or 2 carts is expensive and because there are so many doing it would be a large undertaking. Even the ones selling a few hundred repro carts are small fry and because they're only working on much older systems where there's a very niche market for this thing it's probably not at the top of Nintendo or other copyright holder's list of priorities.

When all is said and done the repro carts are technically illegal and N or any other copyright holder could bring the hammer down on them at any time. Sellers are just banking on being able to continue flying under the radar indefinately.

That said - be careful with repro carts. They can pose a risk to your hardware and many are sloppily made or repurposed carts from other games (commons like sports) which in turn can pose a risk depending upon the method used to put the new ROM in there. I've seen some that were spaghetti junction inside and have spken to a couple of people whose systems ceased functioning due to badly built repros.

StormCell

I'm really just starting to accept that we're on back side of the peak of the Switch, and Nintendo doesn't need to do anything for us. They already have all the momentum, so why do these Directs? If we lose interest, it's of little or no consequence to them, and they already know we'll buy anything they release on the system.

The next big Nintendo announcement will be their Wii Switch U system reveal. Bank on it. /s

StormCell

I still believe 2021 is going to be the best year for switch since launch
And that's what I like about you, Jooxed. At least one of us in Nintendogaf has to keep the hope alive.

I know BotW 2 can't be too far away, and some remakes of Diamond and Pearl would be alright. Mix in a little MP Trilogy, and we're okay.

Jooxed

Gold Member
And that's what I like about you, Jooxed. At least one of us in Nintendogaf has to keep the hope alive.

I know BotW 2 can't be too far away, and some remakes of Diamond and Pearl would be alright. Mix in a little MP Trilogy, and we're okay.
Multiple Zelda games and multiple Pokémon games in one year according to rumors. Mixed with smt and bravely 2 already a strong start.

StormCell

Multiple Zelda games and multiple Pokémon games in one year according to rumors. Mixed with smt and bravely 2 already a strong start.
Yeah, I've heard those rumors. I do expect we will get those remakes, and I'm kind of hoping it will be the 3DS versions. It's just that I've already played those games several times, and I guess I'm just not really excited for those. I might be excited if they gave LttP the Link's Awakening treatment, but even that I am able to play by memory--so yawn...

I do appreciate your responses though. I should start looking forward to Bowser's Fury since that is looking pretty good.

Last edited:
StormCell StormCell
Unfortunately, I think we're mostly looking at ports, remakes, and remasters. I really would like some new big games, but I don't know if that's in the cards. Zelda game ports seems like a sure thing. Metroid GBA games via Nintendo online seems like a safe bet as well. At least we're getting a new Monster Hunter game, and a new Bravely Default game.

TexMex

It's a complicated one to litigate. Going after individual sellers who are only selling 1 or 2 carts is expensive and because there are so many doing it would be a large undertaking. Even the ones selling a few hundred repro carts are small fry and because they're only working on much older systems where there's a very niche market for this thing it's probably not at the top of Nintendo or other copyright holder's list of priorities.

When all is said and done the repro carts are technically illegal and N or any other copyright holder could bring the hammer down on them at any time. Sellers are just banking on being able to continue flying under the radar indefinately.

That said - be careful with repro carts. They can pose a risk to your hardware and many are sloppily made or repurposed carts from other games (commons like sports) which in turn can pose a risk depending upon the method used to put the new ROM in there. I've seen some that were spaghetti junction inside and have spken to a couple of people whose systems ceased functioning due to badly built repros.

Thanks for this. Haven’t bought any myself. Too picky about them all being legit/CIB.

Woopah

I'm really just starting to accept that we're on back side of the peak of the Switch, and Nintendo doesn't need to do anything for us. They already have all the momentum, so why do these Directs? If we lose interest, it's of little or no consequence to them, and they already know we'll buy anything they release on the system.

The next big Nintendo announcement will be their Wii Switch U system reveal. Bank on it. /s
The last Direct-themed event was in October so I'm sure we will see them in some form in 2021. Now whether that's a Mini, General, franchise-specific or Partner Showcase I don't know. From the sounds of it Nintendo's teams are still working from home so we really don't know when the Covid disruption will end

StormCell

The last Direct-themed event was in October so I'm sure we will see them in some form in 2021. Now whether that's a Mini, General, franchise-specific or Partner Showcase I don't know. From the sounds of it Nintendo's teams are still working from home so we really don't know when the Covid disruption will end

I hope that working from home isn't still a stumbling block for them. It sure seems like a lot of other studios have adapted by now.

Woopah

I hope that working from home isn't still a stumbling block for them. It sure seems like a lot of other studios have adapted by now.
I think it was originally. We know it affected Capcom and Square Enix and I can't see Nintendo being that much more prepared than them. Hopefully they have since adapted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom