• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

-Arcadia-

Banned
It always surprises me how poetic (really good descriptor) and beautiful the experience ended up being, while the typical exuberant, loud, massive casts, epic cutscenes, and plot twists were all relegated to the flashbacks. Daring.

It’s a (brilliantly) strange Zelda game, and a game in general. I can’t recall playing another game that just breathes like this, that’s so willing to be quiet, and let players feel things. Maybe the Team Ico games and indies? But those feel a step too far in the opposite direction at times — BotW layers gameplay, themes, and emotion together perfectly.

Btw, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that everyone is suddenly thinking about BotW again. I think Age of Calamity is the first strike of the BotW 2 marketing over the next year. Maybe we’ll even see a Game Awards trailer.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I actually like riding horses in BOTW the most compared to other games, probably because the emphasis of long journey in BOTW is bigger than most games. It really feels like you're exploring the world, adventuring.

As long as there’s a road. Lol. I left so many horses around giant mountains before I figured out that it wasn’t N64 anymore, and you can’t take a horse everywhere.

Agreed. It’s such a big world, but it’s even bigger because it’s so easy to get caught up in never-ending amounts of things and adventures along the way. I’ve had journeys that took literal hours, to where I would have layovers along the way, or finally arriving would almost feel like the end of a road trip in real life.

And I’d go to the hotel for two hearts and maximum immersion, before ending the game for the day, of course, hahaha.

I did the whole thing on foot. Am I a bad person?

Careful saying foot out loud like that. We’ll attract them.

MagnesG

Banned
I did the whole thing on foot. Am I a bad person?
Nah. I kinda did both on my two playthroughs. It's different experience though if you're travelling on horse, you actually could be familiar with the routes more with different sections of the map segregated properly in your mind instead of climbing anywhere mindlessly.

I would suggest you at least try unlocking all the towers on horse as soon as you got out of the Plateu, with less stops on the way. But make sure you got at least a 4 speed horse first, it's just fun to dash through the map fast while learning the topography by route.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Nah. I kinda did both on my two playthroughs. It's different experience though if you're travelling on horse, you actually could be familiar with the routes more with different sections of the map segregated properly in your mind instead of climbing anywhere mindlessly.

I would suggest you at least try unlocking all the towers on horse as soon as you got out of the Plateu, with less stops on the way. But make sure you got at least a 4 speed horse first, it's just fun to dash through the map fast while learning the topography by route.
Tbh I had a decent handle on topography and map layout on foot - going more slowly I guess I was able to really take it all in.

It always surprises me how poetic (really good descriptor) and beautiful the experience ended up being, while the typical exuberant, loud, massive casts, epic cutscenes, and plot twists were all relegated to the flashbacks. Daring.

It’s a (brilliantly) strange Zelda game, and a game in general. I can’t recall playing another game that just breathes like this, that’s so willing to be quiet, and let players feel things. Maybe the Team Ico games and indies? But those feel a step too far in the opposite direction at times — BotW layers gameplay, themes, and emotion together perfectly.

Btw, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that everyone is suddenly thinking about BotW again. I think Age of Calamity is the first strike of the BotW 2 marketing over the next year. Maybe we’ll even see a Game Awards trailer.

Games that tell a story or convey feelings through letting you play are extremely rare and Team Ico was one of those devs that did it too, their best case for it was Shadow of the Colossus imo. This is one of those sorts of playstyles, for lack of a better word, that I always advocate for. Gaming is entirely unique in this but very few (can) do it, hence why you can probably count the examples of this on one or two hands for the entire history of gaming. I'd actually consider Majora's Mask to be something of a prototype for this feel by playing concept, but mainly in the larger context of the game.

MagnesG

Banned
Tbh I had a decent handle on topography and map layout on foot - going more slowly I guess I was able to really take it all in.
To be fair exploring on foot works too, but then you'll want to climb here and there, looking for shortcut to your destination maybe by gliding through. Sometimes you'll miss the little things by not going through on route normally.

At least that was my experience anyway.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Games that tell a story or convey feelings through letting you play are extremely rare and Team Ico was one of those devs that did it too, their best case for it was Shadow of the Colossus imo. This is one of those sorts of playstyles, for lack of a better word, that I always advocate for. Gaming is entirely unique in this but very few (can) do it, hence why you can probably count the examples of this on one or two hands for the entire history of gaming. I'd actually consider Majora's Mask to be something of a prototype for this feel by playing concept, but mainly in the larger context of the game.

That’s a really good observation. Majora is a little more exuberant with cutscenes and all of it, but the way the theme was weaved into gameplay... you always felt like you were running out of time, trapped in a loop, and uneasy.

To be fair exploring on foot works too, but then you'll want to climb here and there, looking for shortcut to your destination maybe by gliding through. Sometimes you'll miss the little things by not going through on route normally.

At least that was my experience anyway.

I think it’s good to do both. Straight lines to a destination will give you a lonelier, more atmospheric experience, with more elements of the wild. Routes give you a ton of NPC interaction, merchants, side quests, really cool roads with awesome views of the scenery, etc.

JimiNutz

Banned
10 stars into Galaxy.

I knew it would look nice but was still shocked at how good it looks for a 13 year old game. I know it's had a resolution bump but I think it's another example of a timeless Nintendo game.

Mario moves incredibly well as usual and I really like the gravity effects, setting a Mario game in space was a brilliant idea. I also really like the bite sized nature of playing a few moons/planets here and there. It's a very easy game to just pick up and play.

I'm very early in so the game is pretty void of any challenge at the moment but I must admit I'm liking that aspect having just come from playing Demon's Souls. My gf and I have both found that it's a very relaxing experience playing it.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
10 stars into Galaxy.

I knew it would look nice but was still shocked at how good it looks for a 13 year old game. I know it's had a resolution bump but I think it's another example of a timeless Nintendo game.

Mario moves incredibly well as usual and I really like the gravity effects, setting a Mario game in space was a brilliant idea. I also really like the bite sized nature of playing a few moons/planets here and there. It's a very easy game to just pick up and play.

I'm very early in so the game is pretty void of any challenge at the moment but I must admit I'm liking that aspect having just come from playing Demon's Souls. My gf and I have both found that it's a very relaxing experience playing it.

Yeah it's pretty damn spectacular visually, absolutely bloody gorgeous, and a perfect advert for art style over polygon count.

Woopah

So what do you guys think the next big first party game will be after Super Mario 3D World?

I can see Pokémon Snap coming in March. I'm expecting Metroid 5 to be in the first half of next year too.

I was on the Politics board and it got me thinking. I would really like the Metal Gear Solid games on the Switch. Anyone want to speculate with me about the chances of it happening? Konami loves money, and the Switch is doing well, so I'm going to put the chances at 25%. I have no idea the complexities of the situation, I just know I want it to happen.
Konami has had a lot of success with the Switch in Japan so they're support for it is going to keep increasing. More Konami games on Switch is definitely happening but I'm not sure what Konami thinks of the MGS IP or what they will do with it next.

DESTROYA

I was on the Politics board and it got me thinking. I would really like the Metal Gear Solid games on the Switch. Anyone want to speculate with me about the chances of it happening? Konami loves money, and the Switch is doing well, so I'm going to put the chances at 25%. I have no idea the complexities of the situation, I just know I want it to happen.
Well we do have Metal Gear collection on the Vita so I don’t see why they wouldn’t at some point put them on the Switch. Sure why not I’d buy that.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

I’m hoping they weren’t impacted by COVID. A November 2021 release would be fantastic. I’m hoping we are working up to an onslaught of Zelda after Age of Calamity. A Zelda 35th announcement in an early 2021 direct, a collection in April, and other smaller tie ins much like Mario, all working up to Breath of the Wild 2 in November.

It is all good after that.
I bought it based on what you and Danny Dudekisser Danny Dudekisser said.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

I would really love some Metal Gear Solid ports, never played one (only the demo on 3DS) and after looking at some video's and the Hideo Kojima thread I would really like to try it. They seem over the top and badass which are things I usually like, so it should be up ally.

HuskerfanChuck

Neo Member
Hope everyone is having a good weekend! Meant to get a comment off a couple days ago and didn't get it done. Have gotten immersed again into WoW after the xpac came out. Do this every time after xpac release. Really love the world that Blizzard builds.

Okay, hijack over. Really need to get back to BOTW sometime soon. Beat Ganon quite a while ago, dabble every so often, but the comments here make me want to go back.

AoC is one of three big games I put on the yearly Christmas list, along with I:FR, and CP2077. They'll all likely sit, though, til I've had my fill of WoW again.

I also wanted to say that this thread is perpetually a breath of fresh air of positivity on GAF. Really thankful for everyone that contributes in here! Here's a Peanut Butter Porter for all of you! Cheers, and a wonderful Thanksgiving/Christmas/holiday season to all of you, NintendoGAF!

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I saw my notifications explode so I knew HuskerfanChuck HuskerfanChuck was around.

I'm right there with you only replace WoW with the latest Destiny expansion. Have been trying to catch up-some folks in my clan have already hit the soft level cap and run through the seasonal content.

I'll take you up on the Peanut Butter Porter. Hope you make another celebrity appearance soon. We need to get you an avatar too!

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
10 stars into Galaxy.

I can't wait until SMG2 comes out as DLC, which I am 100% sure is going to happen but holy hell am I getting a little worried it might not happen....

Uhhh.... but yeah, the Switch version of Galaxy is just incredible.

Eevee86

Oh no, I just got it on the sale. Why is it shit?
Story is fine. Combat isn't anything special. Puzzles are obnoxious. But the absolute worst part is the level design. It's a damn mess and I spend most of my time just trying to figure out how to get to things. It's not uncommon for you to have to go through two whole areas just to get to a chest that doesn't have anything special in it, and everything just looks the same.

bender

What time is it?
I'm expecting Metroid 5 to be in the first half of next year too.

giphy.gif

Camreezie

I can see Pokémon Snap coming in March. I'm expecting Metroid 5 to be in the first half of next year too.

Konami has had a lot of success with the Switch in Japan so they're support for it is going to keep increasing. More Konami games on Switch is definitely happening but I'm not sure what Konami thinks of the MGS IP or what they will do with it next.
Super mario 3d world and bravely default 2 in february and then pokemon snap In march would be a good start to 2021

Story is fine. Combat isn't anything special. Puzzles are obnoxious. But the absolute worst part is the level design. It's a damn mess and I spend most of my time just trying to figure out how to get to things. It's not uncommon for you to have to go through two whole areas just to get to a chest that doesn't have anything special in it, and everything just looks the same.

Sounds like a mediocre indie game alright. I keep falling for this crap. Oh well, I'll still give it a try since I got it already, but that sounds like a shitty time. Level design and searching all the time especially, since I really fucking hate that.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I hope for an awesome year next year. Nintendo’s Switch output has followed this pattern so far:
2017: Amazing. The hard sell. Good luck not being interested in this incredible new concept, accompanied by two of the best games ever made, and flanked by month after month of fantastic content

2018: Pretty awful. Fun tennis and Kirby games come out, and the year ends with a enjoyable Pokemon spin-off, alongside a pretty historic and excellent Smash Bros entry. Everything else is ports. From PS4 to Wii U.

2019: Memory a little hazy here, but the second half ends quite well, with a bunch of well-liked games and a new system. Labo and Yoshi are quite enjoyable at the start of it. Ports are far more likable alongside unique content.

2020: Animal Crossing preceded and followed by an abyssal wasteland. Unlike 2018, it actually recovered, with Paper Mario, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart Live, and a collection that was so desired, nobody cared if it was a port, and had the time of their life.

It seems like it follows a tick tock pattern, ala Apple hardware design, and we’re due for the big year.

Eevee86

Yeah, fuck CrossCode. Finished the first dungeon and it barely qualifies as an RPG. The whole thing was just sliding block puzzles and super time rigid bomb shit. Then the game mocks me for taking awhile because you're apparently racing your teammate, she's waiting there at the end if you take to long to do the dungeon. To hell with it, I quit.

MagnesG

Banned
Yeah, fuck CrossCode. Finished the first dungeon and it barely qualifies as an RPG. The whole thing was just sliding block puzzles and super time rigid bomb shit. Then the game mocks me for taking awhile because you're apparently racing your teammate, she's waiting there at the end if you take to long to do the dungeon. To hell with it, I quit.
Haha. It does get tedious and time attack is all you're gonna be doing for the whole game.

I love it though.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

I hope for an awesome year next year. Nintendo’s Switch output has followed this pattern so far:
2017: Amazing. The hard sell. Good luck not being interested in this incredible new concept, accompanied by two of the best games ever made, and flanked by month after month of fantastic content

2018: Pretty awful. Fun tennis and Kirby games come out, and the year ends with a enjoyable Pokemon spin-off, alongside a pretty historic and excellent Smash Bros entry. Everything else is ports. From PS4 to Wii U.

2019: Memory a little hazy here, but the second half ends quite well, with a bunch of well-liked games and a new system. Labo and Yoshi are quite enjoyable at the start of it. Ports are far more likable alongside unique content.

2020: Animal Crossing preceded and followed by an abyssal wasteland. Unlike 2018, it actually recovered, with Paper Mario, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart Live, and a collection that was so desired, nobody cared if it was a port, and had the time of their life.

It seems like it follows a tick tock pattern, ala Apple hardware design, and we’re due for the big year.
Omitting 2019's GOTY Fire Emblem: Three Houses? For shame.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Ok so I must be around 30 or 40 hours into BOTW and it already replaced WW as my favorite Zelda game and, definitely one of the best games I've ever played.... AND I RLY DON'T LIKE SANDBOXES, but this one is just pure love comprised in form of a videogame.

One think I'm constantly amazed about is the graphics. Yes. Some low resolutions aside and some lack of contrast (which, btw, are not always, most of the time it's not) but to think that the damn Wii U could pull full fledge PBR graphics with particles, volumetric lighting, realistic wheather (damn, rain looks so good,, those animated decals did their thing), and fucking lighting is so sooooo good! (its GI... my god) I can only think BOTW2 will look just much better due to textures finally be more optimized for Switch total amount of RAM.

I can't think of a single 7th gen game that comes close to that one and that's not even counting physics, and I played that gen on PC at 1080p@60... I'd rly like to see a very technical analysis but there's no chance for that at this stage :(

I'm probably the only person amazed by BOTW graphics in 2020, but remember I'm taking its context into account.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Ok so I must be around 30 or 40 hours into BOTW and it already replaced WW as my favorite Zelda game and, definitely one of the best games I've ever played.... AND I RLY DON'T LIKE SANDBOXES, but this one is just pure love comprised in form of a videogame.

One think I'm constantly amazed about is the graphics. Yes. Some low resolutions aside and some lack of contrast (which, btw, are not always, most of the time it's not) but to think that the damn Wii U could pull full fledge PBR graphics with particles, volumetric lighting, realistic wheather (damn, rain looks so good,, those animated decals did their thing), and fucking lighting is so sooooo good! (its GI... my god) I can only think BOTW2 will look just much better due to textures finally be more optimized for Switch total amount of RAM.

I can't think of a single 7th gen game that comes close to that one and that's not even counting physics, and I played that gen on PC at 1080p@60... I'd rly like to see a very technical analysis but there's no chance for that at this stage :(

I'm probably the only person amazed by BOTW graphics in 2020, but remember I'm taking its context into account.

Nope, not the only one. I was absolutely blown away by it. Art > techie stuff any day.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I love how BotW looks, but I think it’s the hardest a Nintendo game has ever had to push its respective hardware. As a result, on TV (handheld, this looks almost flawless), I can see where cutbacks needed to be made.

Which is something I’ve enjoyed about BotW 2 being on Switch only. It’s really easy to think it looks the same, but if you’ve played BotW recently, you can see how much ‘cleaner’ and closer to it’s intended aesthetic BotW 2 is.

But it’s still gorgeous. I’ve seen a lot of realistic lighting in games, but I’ve never seen anything like what this game does, where today’s lighting tech seems to meet the most fanciful artistic expression of it. Sunsets, the light playing off the clouds, the powerful and thick atmosphere in some areas — it feels like some kind of fantasy novel art come to life.

One of the things that gets me is overcast days. Not my favorite look for the rest of the game (although props for figuring out how to exactly represent dreariness, lol), but the clouds and how sunlight filters through them, is one of the strangest, most beautiful things I’ve ever seen in a game.

Skies aside, it’s the whole game, though. I don’t know if the art + tech here will ever get the same credit as Wind Waker, which is a shame, because it feels like it has to do so much more, with so much less (for its time), and pull off the contradiction of the realistic world these systems need, while still being a highly artistic game. That it so effortlessly accomplishes that — I don’t think a whole lot of people notice how much of an achievement that is.

Top Bottom