• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

bender

What time is it?
tenor.gif

HuskerfanChuck

Neo Member
So I was curious about how many games my son and I had picked up since the Switch came out after convos here... so I did a count tonight. 67 physical, 130 total. This doesn't include games that were freebies. Surprised it was quite that many, tbh.

Humdinger

I'm still plugging away at BotW. Really good game. I still resort to Youtube for help occasionally, because I'm just not that patient to solve all the riddles, but otherwise, I'm playing the game as intended. I've travelled all the roads in the game. I've got one more divine beastie to deal with, but I'll leave it for later.

By the way, a couple thoughts about the GOTG poll. You may have noticed Witcher 3 beat BotW by about a hundred votes or so. Two things I noticed:

1. The majority of people voting (I'd estimate 2/3 at least) have not played BotW. They never had the chance, because they don't own a Switch or Wii U, and those are the only platforms BotW appeared on. Witcher 3, otoh, appeared on every platform there is, including PC. So the majority of voters have not even played one of the games they're voting on. It's not an equal playing field.

2. About 300 people voted for BotW. That's probably everyone who owns a Switch here. What that means is, nearly everyone who played both games voted for BotW.

I shared the first insight in the GOTG thread, and I got some aggressive deflections, so I'll just share the second thought with you guys. :p

Not that I care. It doesn't matter who wins GAF's GOTG poll. It's not like it changes any minds about which game they prefer. I just thought it was interesting.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Those sorts of polls are always inevitably flawed given none of us can honestly claim to have played all the games worthy of winning. That BOTW got so far when Nintendo doesn't exactly get a good rap here is pretty impressive.

Eevee86

Those sorts of polls are always inevitably flawed given none of us can honestly claim to have played all the games worthy of winning. That BOTW got so far when Nintendo doesn't exactly get a good rap here is pretty impressive.
Pretty much. Witcher 3 sales are 2.5x the amount of BotW, so it's naturally going to get more votes. I couldn't handle playing it for more than an hour or two because it felt awful to play.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

• 2021 will mark the 40th anniversary of Falcom.
  • Falcom plans to release multiple titles for console(s) in commemoration of its 40th anniversary, including an all-new entry in the Trails series.
  • With over five million copies sold and winner of various awards including the Japan Game Awards, Famitsu Award, and PlayStation Awards, the Trails series is one of Falcom’s flagship franchises.
  • Falcom will expand its game content to multiple platforms such as PlayStation 4, Switch, PC, and smartphone worldwide (Japan, North America, Europe, and Asia).
  • Falcom will continue to provide appealing new game content while actively utilizing in-house IP to produce new titles that act as new challenges, including the Trails and Ys series.

Seems like Falcom is more interested in Switch now. Just a year or two ago they were saying that they though their audience was mostly on PS.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Seems like Falcom is more interested in Switch now. Just a year or two ago they were saying that they though their audience was mostly on PS.

I haven't heard what the titles are yet, but I hope the Crossbell games are a part of it. They know we want em, dammit.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much. Witcher 3 sales are 2.5x the amount of BotW, so it's naturally going to get more votes. I couldn't handle playing it for more than an hour or two because it felt awful to play.

Now personally I liked Witcher 3. I had a good time with it, undoubtedly in large part due to an excellent cast of characters and quality writing. Sure the combat's not much to write home about but I had a good time. In my case it probably helped having a decent rig. I put it on my wife's machine at the time and it wasn't up to the job and it wasn't a pleasant experience whereas on mine it was excellent, so I wonder if some of those who don't like it are suffering from lag due to optimisation issues/under-specced machine.

Of course, outside of BOTW, the game of the generation is Kingdom Come Deliverance.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'll be honest, I am not too familiar with Falcom's catalog. Lack of localizations, lots of PSP/Vita games, and generally little noise around them in the West.

I've never even played a Ys title. I should give one a shot.

Ys is really great. Ys Seven was the first one I played (which isn't one of the more highly-regarded ones) and I remember starting it and being like "I don't get it. I'm just running around talking to people and this just seems like a generic RPG" for the first 30 minutes. And then the actual game started, and it was like Zelda on crack. And now I'm an addict.

Andyliini

I want more Ys games on Switch. I really liked Ys Origin, I really need to at least play the first two games. Hope they come to Switch soon.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Ys is really great. Ys Seven was the first one I played (which isn't one of the more highly-regarded ones) and I remember starting it and being like "I don't get it. I'm just running around talking to people and this just seems like a generic RPG" for the first 30 minutes. And then the actual game started, and it was like Zelda on crack. And now I'm an addict.
Zelda? That's a good sales pitch. I'll definitely have to check it out.
I want more Ys games on Switch. I really liked Ys Origin, I really need to at least play the first two games. Hope they come to Switch soon.
Seems like they are looking to be more multi-plat. Never understood why they were so staunch on being PS first with how the Japanese market was shifting.
Still waiting for those Ninja Gaiden and Soulcalibur Switch announcements
I would buy SC2 HD on Switch with Link immediately.

Eevee86

Now personally I liked Witcher 3. I had a good time with it, undoubtedly in large part due to an excellent cast of characters and quality writing. Sure the combat's not much to write home about but I had a good time. In my case it probably helped having a decent rig. I put it on my wife's machine at the time and it wasn't up to the job and it wasn't a pleasant experience whereas on mine it was excellent, so I wonder if some of those who don't like it are suffering from lag due to optimisation issues/under-specced machine.

Of course, outside of BOTW, the game of the generation is Kingdom Come Deliverance.
I tried it on Xbox One. Geralts basic movement made me think he was drunk all the time. It just felt awkward. Combat didn't do it any favors.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think Switch + PS4 is gonna be the combo for the next 3+ years. Most devs are too cashpoor (esp with the lockdowns and economic downturns) to jump right into 4k / 120fps asset generation, so hopefully we'll keep getting more "current gen"-tier games.

Also, the craftmanship in Luigi's Mansion 3 is absurd. A lot of 1st party Switch games have felt phoned in (personally) but this is really solid, coming from someone who never bothered with the series on prior systems.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

Won't add to cart for me but some have managed to order.

Porcile

I just bought the Moon RPG Premium Edition. So glad the game got a sweet physical release. I'm keeping it as a sealed display piece for the collection.

So Moon, Ikaruga and Grandia got physical release. It's probably the last time these games will ever get one I imagine. The only thing I want from this point on is a No More Heroes qudrilogy.

Are there any other physical editions that people want for already released eshop games? Grim Fandango would be nice but I doubt it will ever happen now.

ExpandKong

Banned
I just bought the Moon RPG Premium Edition. So glad the game got a sweet physical release. I'm keeping it as a sealed display piece for the collection.

So Moon, Ikaruga and Grandia got physical release. It's probably the last time these games will ever get one I imagine. The only thing I want from this point on is a No More Heroes qudrilogy.

Are there any other physical editions that people want for already released eshop games? Grim Fandango would be nice but I doubt it will ever happen now.

If they’d put FF7 8 and 9 all together I’d probably import that. Kinda weird that they did 7&8 and are now much later doing 9 on its own.

Did anyone see the LRG update on shipments?

These guys have so many games that I am still waiting for. I’m waiting for the following, some because they were ordered together.

SoR4 Classic
Dark Force PC
Jedi Knight PC
Panzer Dragoon
Master Blaster Zero 1&2
Jedi Knight II/Academy Switch

I also have GRIS, Ys Origin, Episode I Racer, and Doom 64. I get the pandemic, but these guys have taken a good chunk of my money and annoy me with their shipping costs.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I would but it would be one of those things after 10 minutes gets thrown in a drawer somewhere and gets forgotten.

I gotta say that I agree with this post and I'm trying to understand the hype I'm seeing on Twitter over this thing.

I saw a bunch at our local Meijer and was completely not tempted? I just don't have any need for yet another device to play Super Mario Bros much less on a ~2-3 inch screen.

That said - I might consider a Zelda version because Zelda.

bender

What time is it?
I gotta say that I agree with this post and I'm trying to understand the hype I'm seeing on Twitter over this thing.

I saw a bunch at our local Meijer and was completely not tempted? I just don't have any need for yet another device to play Super Mario Bros much less on a ~2-3 inch screen.

That said - I might consider a Zelda version because Zelda.

FOMO.

I'll never even open mine.

Top Bottom