• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

bender

What time is it?
AoC caps your level at 20. :(

Finished up hard on both missions and both side missions before hitting the cap with Link.

Played through the first three bosses in NMH. Earning money in the game is kind of a drag.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I wonder where Nintendo is at with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2?

Decided to take some time to analyze BOTW2 trailer. It turns out that almost everything I found was already on Reddit long ago lol, but maybe something I said can bring light to something that went unnoticed...

Thoughts on the trailer and the possible direction of BOTW2:

It's been nearly a year and five months since the reveal trailer, will be a year and five months this come November 11th, 2020. And in the trailer, I think it's accurate to say that there is a strong grasp, a strong idea of where the story will be going. Zelda + Link exploring the catacombs beneath Hyrule? That's a major setting. I'm assuming that was the Royal Tomb, of the Royal Family? But the thing that piqued my interest some is that Ganondorf's music is playing when that corpse is, through whatever means, brought back to life. Based on past TLoZ games, I've noticed a certain pattern, and this trailer tells me
that the Calamity Ganon either secured and guaranteed his revival in the event that he failed or battled someone or something besides Zelda and Link at some point in time. Ganon(dorf) usually finds a way to manipulate a powerful sorcerer/mage/entity that is capable of much and he uses that to his advantage to increase his power. It's happened in ALttP, FSA, TP, SS, and now I'm thinking this will be the case in BotW2 for two reasons:

1) The 'entity' resurrecting 'Ganondorf' has tangible jewelry (?) artifacts (?) clad to its limb from the wrist up so this enemy may have something that wields magic or strange power(s)

2) The obvious spell (or possibly remnants of ___X___) that evoke life that is emanating from the corpse all the way up towards the ceiling of catacombs

I think this all points to a witch or sorcerer being involved. And I've watched the trailer carefully. I don't think that corpse belonged to Ganonforf. Maybe or maybe not. The teeth resemble Ganon. But the hair and the jewelry upon corpse's head does not resemble Ganondorf. This may be a bit much to assume, but it looks like Zelda and Link are inside the Royal Tomb of the Royal Family or possibly, inside the Spirit Temple. There will be an incarnation of his (Ganon's) hatred reborn but it will take form of that corpse which may be Din, may be Nabooru, I think it could have even been an Gerudo warrior we have not heard story of yet in any of the Zelda games. But the point is, I think we will once again see the dynamic of having to face off against two main villains or more in BotW2. The hand has very sharp nails so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a witch at all. And one more thing, the hieroglyph on the wall seems to be that of a feminine Gerudo warrior, and the most interesting part is that the figure is wielding a trident. So Ganondorf is a part of this, and Ganon (pig form) is likely as well given that the Trident is being wielded

This is only a guess but with me I feel somewhat confident: BOTW2 will be a fight against Yuga, possibly another villain involved, possibly even Ganon himself at some point as well. Hyrule will suffer immensely within the confines of another realm, possibly more sophisticated and complex than what has been in the Twilight Realm, possibly more than A Link Between Realms (have not played yet btw)

It's a long read and kind of all over the place, but there are some guesses there. I don't even know much about the one that I assume will rise, so I have no idea how immense the sequel's potential can be in all areas but personally I am very excited after thinking this through some

The only thing that I don't understand is this: Why is the Castle rising?

I think that Ganon may have fought Yuga at some point after having defeated Link 100 years ago. He might have killed Yuga but perhaps undetected magic or a powerful spell of some sort, an incantation set up before, mid, or maybe even right before death (this seems to be the case in the trailer, incantation) allowed Yuga to prevail despite having lost his life at that point in time. This is interesting because potentially, Yuga or whoever that is, has the knowledge and the capability to cheat death just as Ganon has so this will be a very daunting foe. But if this does turn out to be Yuga, since I never played ALBW, I can't have a sense of how dangerous he is--how calamitous Yuga can or will be in BOTW2. After all, Ganon's essence looks to be the source at least in part that brings the corpse back to life. Interesting all around for me, the only thing is that not having played ALBW I cannot imagine the scenarios from all possible angles

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
My guess is they're aiming to simultaneously launch BOTW2 with Switch Pro
I’ve been wondering that too. But it’d be a little uncharacteristic to have a Zelda go dark for a year (or has it been two?) only to resurface months before release. I’m used to big, event-style releases.
Still have a lot of questions about the alleged Switch pro. The rumors have been a Q1 launch but I don't see Zelda launching before November of 2021. Which leads me to the real question-if the Pro launches Q1 and Zelda makes the Christmas shopping window 7 months later...will we see a special Zelda console?

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
It's hard to figure out Nintendo's marketing. On one hand you have all of those ridiculously early announcements they made back in 2017 (Metroid, Bayonetta, SMT) to the present state where they seemingly announce a game and it's out within weeks (Paper Mario, 3D All Stars, Hyrule Warriors). Then you get the curveball once in a while like New Pokemon Snap where you have no clue when it's supposed to come out.
Zero news on Detective Pikachu as well. That one sounded like it was mostly a remake with a new ending. I was shocked they didn't have that locked and loaded to tie in with the movie release. Seemed like a no brainer to me.

I do think Zelda is a bigger title than the others and I would imagine those would have been announced with a little more lead time during a normal year.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Data published by US sales intelligence firm Intelligence360 has revealed that Metroid Prime 4 developer Retro Studios intends to move into a new headquarters by next summer. The company is investing $500,000 in the custom 40,000 square feet office.

In other news, Marisa Palumbo joined Retro Studios earlier this month. Palumbo previously spent close to a decade at Rockstar Games having worked in production and as a producer on Grand Theft Auto IV and V, L.A. Noire, Max Payne 3, Red Dead Redemption, and Manhunt 2. More recently, she was with Blizzard’s Overwatch team for six years.

Still have a lot of questions about the alleged Switch pro. The rumors have been a Q1 launch but I don't see Zelda launching before November of 2021. Which leads me to the real question-if the Pro launches Q1 and Zelda makes the Christmas shopping window 7 months later...will we see a special Zelda console?

If the Switch Pro comes out in March, it will be the first time that I’ve ever traded in a console to buy another one. I don’t need two Switches and see no need to hold onto the current one if a better alternative exists. That would be a huge deal for me. I never traded in handhelds before either. I own several hundreds of games, but the only game I ever traded in was Triple Play 2000 on N64. I hated that game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Question, if games go all digital, does everyone continue to buy them? Are you more open to gaming subscriptions? I’m curious to see what the enthusiasts think. I think that I would stop buying games and play my backlog. Family life has seriously limited my ability to play and enjoy games anyway.

For all intents and purposes, we're already in that all-digial dystopia. I am ok with it only because I don't have to phone home - even if I can't sell the games, it still functionally feels like I own them, and big brother can't take them away. That said, I will almost never buy a game on Steam, because you don't have that same sense of ownership... but I have an assload of games on GOG.

Gaming subscriptions? Absolutely fucking not. And without getting too specific, I'm kinda very involved in that business. A hilarious contradiction, all 'round.

Edit: To clarify - the reason I'm ok with all-digital is because physical copies are basically useless now. Between patches and DLC, there's just no value to what's on the actual disc/cart anymore. Which is sad. Anyone who peruses the pick-ups thread will realize very quickly that I'm still a huge proponent of physical from the era where it actually mattered.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Danny Dudekisser Danny Dudekisser

Legit question, because I really don’t own digital games, what happens if you fail to update a game and it won’t work without the update but the console is no longer supported? Would you be out of luck?

That's not the case with any digital game, to my knowledge. Like, you won't be able to play multiplayer without the update, but then.... if we're talking the far-flung future, that would be irrelevant anyway. You aren't locked out of launching games for failure to update them.

Not updating your console firmware is a different matter, though that would affect physical copies, too. But as with anything else, in this dystopian future, there would be hacked firmware options that bypass all that nonsense anyway.

Shaqazooloo

Question, if games go all digital, does everyone continue to buy them? Are you more open to gaming subscriptions? I’m curious to see what the enthusiasts think. I think that I would stop buying games and play my backlog. Family life has seriously limited my ability to play and enjoy games anyway.
Around 80-90% of the retail games I own are digital and I'm very open to game streaming, I'd be able to adapt.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I would stop. Digital is cancer.

Yeah, I would probably stop buying new games. I've collected physical since the 1980s and if they stop selling physical versions, well, I'll just continue to enjoy all my games I currently have. With around 350 physical games (most are unplayed) between NES, PS2, PS3, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, and Switch I think I'd survive.

The main advantage for physical at present is being able to share the game with my daughter. Generally speaking I save more than 50% over the cost of 2 games since physical is usually cheaper.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
If the Switch Pro comes out in March, it will be the first time that I’ve ever traded in a console to buy another one. I don’t need two Switches and see no need to hold onto the current one if a better alternative exists. That would be a huge deal for me. I never traded in handhelds before either. I own several hundreds of games, but the only game I ever traded in was Triple Play 2000 on N64. I hated that game.
I'll be upgrading to the Pro. Undecided on whether I keep my current Switch or trade it out for a Lite.

I am 100% digital this gen with the exception of Destiny and Breath of the Wild (I own Mario 3D all stars digitally and physically for the novelty). Digital is very convenient. I think game preservation is a potential issue but that has always been very dependent on fan efforts. I think BC and resale value are the two biggest practical concerns I have.

I am pretty confident in Microsoft's commitment to BC. Their consoles and cloud offering are both built on the idea of being able to access a large library of content. Assuming that they continue to build on that strategy and don't get another Don Mattrick at the helm I feel like my purchases are "safe".

With Sony I am somewhat confident in their commitment to BC. I think that they are realizing it is more important to the market than they initially thought and they seem to be putting in a lot of work to catch up. I think they had a lot of lessons learned between PS3, PSP, and Vita. I feel mostly ok about my purchases from PS4 onwards. I think they are building with the future in mind now more-so than what they used to do.

Nintendo is the only one I am not really comfortable at all with. I have no idea what they are going to do with BC going forward. I also do not get the sense that they are building their store with the future in mind. I will be really frustrated if my Nintendo Switch purchases do not carry over to their next console.

Resale value is the other issue. Not a huge concern with Sony and Microsot. With digital options available most of my PS3 and Xbox 360 DVDs are barely worth the cost of the plastic case they sit in. Nintendo is a different story. All of their games retain value and can be resold to buy the latest and greatest ports. If Nintendo does not embrace BC then digital will certainly have been an expensive and possibly foolish decision depending on how you look at it.

Subscriptions are an another thing entirely. For me subscriptions are great. There are a lot of games that I enjoy that I don't feel the need to truly own. Unless a game is going to be delisted I don't care as much about owning it. Digital has ensured that nothing goes "out of print" and has turned rare/hard to find niche titles into a commodity. Nintendo games are the only ones that I feel a need to own precisely because they are notorious about availability and have a habit of becoming really expensive later on.

ExpandKong

Banned

I'm okay going digital on something like the Switch, which I use primarily as a handheld, because you don't want to lug around your entire collection with you everywhere you go. It's part of the appeal of a portable to me.

But something that's tethered to a television at home....ehhh. I do have an extensive digital library on my XBox and PS families of systems but not enough to consider going entirely digital.

DESTROYA

Danny Dudekisser Danny Dudekisser

Legit question, because I really don’t own digital games, what happens if you fail to update a game and it won’t work without the update but the console is no longer supported? Would you be out of luck?
No thanks, I only buy physical . I have a huge backlog to hold me over for a while.
I would post a pick of my latest Switch and Vita game haul but a little embarrassed about how many games I’ve bought the last couple of weeks.

Eevee86

I'm okay with it when it happens. I'll miss having a library of games and space is usually a pain to deal with, but I never sell games unless I absolutely hate then anyways.

Games are pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things. Not to alarm anyone, but I'm into *fashion*, and if you want a stupid interest that is a complete and total waste of money... well, look no further.

I have about 20 pairs of dress shoes for work, but I’m pretty much set for life. They’re all AE, so not the most expensive. My wife is frugal though so it’s all kind of shocking to her.

GAMETA

Banned
I wonder where Nintendo is at with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2?

Decided to take some time to analyze BOTW2 trailer. It turns out that almost everything I found was already on Reddit long ago lol, but maybe something I said can bring light to something that went unnoticed...

Thoughts on the trailer and the possible direction of BOTW2:

It's been nearly a year and five months since the reveal trailer, will be a year and five months this come November 11th, 2020. And in the trailer, I think it's accurate to say that there is a strong grasp, a strong idea of where the story will be going. Zelda + Link exploring the catacombs beneath Hyrule? That's a major setting. I'm assuming that was the Royal Tomb, of the Royal Family? But the thing that piqued my interest some is that Ganondorf's music is playing when that corpse is, through whatever means, brought back to life. Based on past TLoZ games, I've noticed a certain pattern, and this trailer tells me
that the Calamity Ganon either secured and guaranteed his revival in the event that he failed or battled someone or something besides Zelda and Link at some point in time. Ganon(dorf) usually finds a way to manipulate a powerful sorcerer/mage/entity that is capable of much and he uses that to his advantage to increase his power. It's happened in ALttP, FSA, TP, SS, and now I'm thinking this will be the case in BotW2 for two reasons:

1) The 'entity' resurrecting 'Ganondorf' has tangible jewelry (?) artifacts (?) clad to its limb from the wrist up so this enemy may have something that wields magic or strange power(s)

2) The obvious spell (or possibly remnants of ___X___) that evoke life that is emanating from the corpse all the way up towards the ceiling of catacombs

I think this all points to a witch or sorcerer being involved. And I've watched the trailer carefully. I don't think that corpse belonged to Ganonforf. Maybe or maybe not. The teeth resemble Ganon. But the hair and the jewelry upon corpse's head does not resemble Ganondorf. This may be a bit much to assume, but it looks like Zelda and Link are inside the Royal Tomb of the Royal Family or possibly, inside the Spirit Temple. There will be an incarnation of his (Ganon's) hatred reborn but it will take form of that corpse which may be Din, may be Nabooru, I think it could have even been an Gerudo warrior we have not heard story of yet in any of the Zelda games. But the point is, I think we will once again see the dynamic of having to face off against two main villains or more in BotW2. The hand has very sharp nails so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a witch at all. And one more thing, the hieroglyph on the wall seems to be that of a feminine Gerudo warrior, and the most interesting part is that the figure is wielding a trident. So Ganondorf is a part of this, and Ganon (pig form) is likely as well given that the Trident is being wielded

This is only a guess but with me I feel somewhat confident: BOTW2 will be a fight against Yuga, possibly another villain involved, possibly even Ganon himself at some point as well. Hyrule will suffer immensely within the confines of another realm, possibly more sophisticated and complex than what has been in the Twilight Realm, possibly more than A Link Between Realms (have not played yet btw)

It's a long read and kind of all over the place, but there are some guesses there. I don't even know much about the one that I assume will rise, so I have no idea how immense the sequel's potential can be in all areas but personally I am very excited after thinking this through some

The only thing that I don't understand is this: Why is the Castle rising?

I think that Ganon may have fought Yuga at some point after having defeated Link 100 years ago. He might have killed Yuga but perhaps undetected magic or a powerful spell of some sort, an incantation set up before, mid, or maybe even right before death (this seems to be the case in the trailer, incantation) allowed Yuga to prevail despite having lost his life at that point in time. This is interesting because potentially, Yuga or whoever that is, has the knowledge and the capability to cheat death just as Ganon has so this will be a very daunting foe. But if this does turn out to be Yuga, since I never played ALBW, I can't have a sense of how dangerous he is--how calamitous Yuga can or will be in BOTW2. After all, Ganon's essence looks to be the source at least in part that brings the corpse back to life. Interesting all around for me, the only thing is that not having played ALBW I cannot imagine the scenarios from all possible angles

I think that's TP Ganondorf being held by Twilight Realm magic/runes, the green matches the style.

It never shows what happened to Ganondorf's body after we defeat him in TP, he just stands there with the Master Sword in his chest (same place where the green hand is holding him in BotW 2 trailer).

My theory is that they sealed him under Hyrule Castle with Zelda and Midna's powers and there he stood for millennia, only manifesting his powers through the Calamity (which is basically demon energy corrupting things like Princess Mononoke's demon worms (which heavily inspired the game)).

BotW mixes all timelines but follows the SS>?>OoT>TP route the most. It'd make sense.

If it is, I hope we get to see Midna again.

Cutty Flam

Banned
GAMETA GAMETA that’s an interesting theory

who do you suspect is responsible for his resurrection; the one with the hand bring him back to some level of sentience again? If your theory turns out to be correct, two villains potentially play major roles in the story in BOTW2 and at some point will likely clash

Cutty Flam

Banned
I always hated how Ganon was the ultimate bad guy like come on the dude ain't shit.
Vaati needs to make a return

Ganon has always been a savage but the best appearances have been when he operated under the guise of Ganondorf. You have to admit though, his evolution and motives, means of returning have been pretty interesting

GAMETA

Banned
GAMETA GAMETA that’s an interesting theory

who do you suspect is responsible for his resurrection; the one with the hand bring him back to some level of sentience again? If your theory turns out to be correct, two villains potentially play major roles in the story in BOTW2 and at some point will likely clash

That's a tough one... maybe the Yiga clan, they could've had a proper leader 100 prior to BotW (that we may see in Age of Calamity)

Maybe Zant (he appears at the end of TP too), or maybe the usual evil sorcerer (Vaati, Yuga, etc)..

Or it could simply be the result of Zelda defeating the Calamity and changing the "balance" that was keeping the seal or whatever...

Have you played the Age of Calamity demo? If the story there is canon it could also be a paradox.... it's hard to tell.

Cutty Flam

Banned
That's a tough one... maybe the Yiga clan, they could've had a proper leader 100 prior to BotW (that we may see in Age of Calamity)
That’s another possibility, good mention, I had never thought about them

Maybe Zant (he appears at the end of TP too), or maybe the usual evil sorcerer (Vaati, Yuga, etc)..

Or it could simply be the result of Zelda defeating the Calamity and changing the "balance" that was keeping the seal or whatever...

Have you played the Age of Calamity demo? If the story there is canon it could also be a paradox.... it's hard to tell.
I haven’t played the first one or the new demo for the latest. They should make it canon, they have the Champions of Hyrule in it, Link, Zelda. Or at least make a portion of the game cannon, maybe the ending. That would be a great incentive to play the game as well

Eevee86

Not sure I want to play Animal Crossing tomorrow, I bought like 3 candies and got like a couple of recipes. Got plenty of pumpkins though. I'm BR, we don't do halloween here. Normal life is scary enough as it is.
I think you can get candy from the Villagers wearing the Jack mask or something like that.

Intoxicate

With the Switch I started to buy physical but quickly got annoyed switching cards especially because the EShop only games were so convenient. So I bought all games I liked on a discount and sold the cards.

I only buy the games I likely don’t want to keep physical (e.g. the last Paper Mario). Hell I have over 200 games (over 100 don’t have a physical release) it would be a nightmare to carry all cards.

Top Bottom