• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Skip Rex and Pyra and go right to Nia, Sakurai.

qBfiiA6.png

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Also I've never played an Atelier game. I should give one a shot someday. Ryza made a lot of noise relative to previous entries in the series.

Xenoblade 2, Dragalia Lost, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and Shin Megami Tensei get my votes for new characters. All Nintendo owned or closely associated with Nintendo .

Klonoa 2 is so goddamn good, I replayed it last year and it still holds up. The Wii one is good, but both the original and the sequel are better.

If we get Klonoa then glorious Sakurai deserves canonization.

Another good bet is ULTIMATE FAP MATERIAL Ryza.

8FF3EF3263F64219AF4326227358566BB41D4FAF

No hate.

Klonoa 2 honestly one of the best games ever made. The amount of soul in it is unmatched.

And if they do pick Ryza, they have to leave her ass intact. They can't Solid Snake her, it's her defining character trait.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Also I've never played an Atelier game. I should give one a shot someday. Ryza made a lot of noise relative to previous entries in the series.
I also never played any Atelier games before but I had tons of fun with Ryza. My biggest reason is its gameplay loop, Exploring and getting materials to craft items for battle then craft tools to gather new materials and even later on craft tool that lets you explore new places that gets new material to craft even new items and weapons for battle.

While having nice summer vibe with really charming and relaxing story.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I also never played any Atelier games before but I had tons of fun with Ryza. My biggest reason is its gameplay loop, Exploring and getting materials to craft items for battle then craft tools to gather new materials and even later on craft tool that lets you explore new places that gets new material to craft even new items and weapons for battle.

While having nice summer vibe with really charming and relaxing story.
I’ll have to check it out. Not sure if I’ll grab it on PS4 or Switch. My backlog keeps getting longer and longer.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Here is how I would slice it:

Minecraft is an absolutely a monumental video game and has left a huge impact on the industry. Minecraft/Steve however is not an iconic character. Frankly none of the characters in Minecraft are iconic. They are hardly characters at all; in game mechanics more than celebrated characters.

Contrast that with Sonic, Captain Falcon, Terry, Game & Watch, Pac Man, Simon, Mega Man etc where the characters themselves have risen above the games. In a lot of ways these characters are more exciting than the games they are in. There is some personality there even if it is just communicated through the art. With Steve/Alex there isn't a ton of personality-they are blanks slates to slap skins on; the personality is your own and the way you interact with the world. The closest comparison I would make would be Animal Crossing Villager-another customizable character. The difference between the two is that the villager is very emotive with facial expressions while performing tasks, reactions to events in game, and interactions w/ NPCs whereas Steve/Alex are seemingly emotionless.

Minecraft is an exciting game but Steve/Minecraft is not an exciting character. I think the prospect of "Minecraft in Smash" is exciting for a lot of people but would be better served as a stage w/ assist trophies rather than a character.

Oh well, it is what it is...

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
As much as I wanted to see Jooxed and Dudekisser on a date... :messenger_pensive:

This is amazing. You guys don't realize how big this is for the world outside of millennial gaming, or for big fans like me. Minecraft is that generation's Mario, and representation in the game that's become the Hall of Fame for videogames is going to be a nuke for that crowd.

Not every Smash pick is for everyone, but for many out there, this is one of the most megaton Smash debuts ever.

Astral Dog

Nintendo wants to sell millions more of Smash Ultimate and no amount of salty fanboys is gonna stop them

Last edited:
I'm actually disappointed. And it's not just that this shitstain is in this game now, but he probably will be in the next one(s) too. Can't escape this lame, ugly character.

I'm curious to find out what the popular opinion is gonna be. I think there's gonna be a lot of negativity around this choice.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yes, it is a sound business decision. But as someone who spends all day making sound business decisions about video games, I can also tell you that it's fucking boring.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Yeah for me it boils down to Minecraft is exciting and fun but Minecraft is not an exciting character. A stage or mii costume would have been great. Minecraft works as game world rather than a character in my opinion.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Here is how I would slice it:

Minecraft is an absolutely a monumental video game and has left a huge impact on the industry. Minecraft/Steve however is not an iconic character. Frankly none of the characters in Minecraft are iconic. They are hardly characters at all; in game mechanics more than celebrated characters.

Contrast that with Sonic, Captain Falcon, Terry, Game & Watch, Pac Man, Simon, Mega Man etc where the characters themselves have risen above the games. In a lot of ways these characters are more exciting than the games they are in. There is some personality there even if it is just communicated through the art. With Steve/Alex there isn't a ton of personality-they are blanks slates to slap skins on; the personality is your own and the way you interact with the world. The closest comparison I would make would be Animal Crossing Villager-another customizable character. The difference between the two is that the villager is very emotive with facial expressions while performing tasks, reactions to events in game, and interactions w/ NPCs whereas Steve/Alex are seemingly emotionless.

Minecraft is an exciting game but Steve/Minecraft is not an exciting character. I think the prospect of "Minecraft in Smash" is exciting for a lot of people but would be better served as a stage w/ assist trophies rather than a character.

Oh well, it is what it is...

Look at them less as characters, and more as symbols of years of creativity, fun, and amazing times. Touchstones for a ton of wonderful memories.

Likewise, the mechanics, as a fan, look completely faithful, hilarious for Smash, and fun. A simple stage or trophy wouldn't have had near this effect.

I might be the only one in here, but this might be right behind 3D All-Stars for best gaming news of the year. I had to try very hard not to cheer at work, for each added character, and awesome moment in the trailer. Lol.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Look at them less as characters, and more as symbols of years of creativity, fun, and amazing times. Touchstones for a ton of wonderful memories.

Likewise, the mechanics, as a fan, look completely faithful, hilarious for Smash, and fun. A simple stage or trophy wouldn't have had near this effect.

I might be the only one in here, but this might be right behind 3D All-Stars for best gaming news of the year. I had to try very hard not to cheer at work, for each added character, and awesome moment in the trailer. Lol.

I think we should see other people.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

I certainly understand that. I have a few copies of Minecraft across different systems. I enjoyed my time with the game and think that the creativity that it affords is incredible. Huge for the younger generation too, no doubt.

I find Minecraft to be a really fun world but I find the characters to be boring. I see the blocky vista and ambient music as my touchpoint to that game rather than any of the characters. I would rather have a different character and a Minecraft stage, but like you said, a stage or trophy would not have the same impact with players.

While a "disappointing" addition for me I can't complain too much. The only character revealed so far that I don't have any interest in. Exciting for plenty of others though.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Honestly it looks absolutely bonkers. Tbh I love Minecraft - been playing it since way back in the early days and actually it was me who got everyone playing it at the school I worked in at the time - good times. I agree the 'character' isn't particularly interesting though a certain mythology has been constructed around him by players - for me though Minecraft is about finding that big epic cave that just blows your mind or stumbling upon a vista that takes your breath away, which for some reason seems to have become less common in more recent updates.

Personally I don't play Smash, I just don't quite get the game, but for the kids I'd say the minecraft connection will be huge.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Honestly, I feel we were due for a 'weird' character as well.

This is the series that unironically rocks Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and others, pulling on that weirdness to create hilarious movesets and characters that are totally fun, just because of how dissonant they are.

Jooxed

Gold Member

This is the series that unironically rocks Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and others, pulling on that weirdness to create hilarious movesets and characters that are totally fun, just because of how dissonant they are.

I truly believe Jonesy will be in this pack as well.

Eevee86

Piranha Plant?

Eh, while I understand Nintendo wanting to add Minecraft for corporate synergy and player demographic reasons, I don't think it's as important as others do. At the end of the day, how many people are going to buy Smash for Minecraft Steve? I glad Minecraft is added, for the people that like it, but I can't imagine it being a "big deal."

-Arcadia-

Banned

This. I'd be shocked if something like that didn't make it in, as that's the other half of the zoomer equivalent of Mario and Sonic, and has become way too much of an institution over the last three years to ignore.

Gaf will blow up that day, lol.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Eh, while I understand Nintendo wanting to add Minecraft for corporate synergy and player demographic reasons, I don't think it's as important as others do. At the end of the day, how many people are going to buy Smash for Minecraft Steve? I glad Minecraft is added, for the people that like it, but I can't imagine it being a "big deal."

I think you would be surprised at the power of kids wanting to play Minecraft and seeing this guy in smash now.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
This. I'd be shocked if something like that didn't make it in, as that's the other half of the zoomer equivalent of Mario and Sonic, and has become way too much of an institution over the last three years to ignore.

Gaf will blow up that day, lol.
Another one that wouldn't interest me. No hate for the game but no interest in the character. I'm still a couple years away from my 30s so I'm not too far removed from the Minecraft and Fortnite generation (and still probably younger than most of GAF lol). That is to say I recognize how big the games are but I imagine the attachment to those games is more around the experiences had with friends rather than the characters themselves.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Another one that wouldn't interest me. No hate for the game but no interest in the character. I'm still a couple years away from my 30s so I'm not too far removed from the Minecraft and Fortnite generation (and still probably younger than most of GAF lol). That is to say I recognize how big the games are but I imagine the attachment to those games is more around the experiences had with friends rather than the characters themselves.

Touchstones, though. It's tough to lock down a character from a game that makes it's money solely through optional cosmetics, but all the same, I think people would just love to take a Fortnite character into battle in Smash, with all the unique moves snd such. I would imagine they would pack multiple characters into one, as here.

The level could be outright amazing, though. Imagine zooming through both of Fortnite's massive worlds, fighting on the bus, like how some existing levels work, skydiving down and fighting in the air, and landing in each location briefly, before repeat. I'm sure they'd add in all the insane storyline events that have happened as well, which have consistently been some of the most jaw-dropping crazy scale things in gaming.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Nevermind. I'm out of touch.

It was a good question, though, 'Does Fortnite have nostalgia, already?'.

I would say, absolutely, yes. Sometimes, when it comes up, people post about being moved to tears by the music from the early seasons, because they remember all the hours and good times with friends.

Moreover, as a never-ending game, most of us have put ridiculous triple and quadruple digit hour totals into Fortnite. Add in that the game is always changing at a frenzied pace, the storyline always moving forward, old things being destroyed or altered by events, new things coming in, and the last three years feel like a lifetime to most players.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Touchstones, though. It's tough to lock down a character from a game that makes it's money solely through optional cosmetics, but all the same, I think people would just love to take a Fortnite character into battle in Smash, with all the unique moves snd such. I would imagine they would pack multiple characters into one, as here.

The level could be outright amazing, though. Imagine zooming through both of Fortnite's massive worlds, fighting on the bus, like how some existing levels work, skydiving down and fighting in the air, and landing in each location briefly, before repeat. I'm sure they'd add in all the insane storyline events that have happened as well, which have consistently been some of the most jaw-dropping crazy scale things in gaming.
Your zoomer is showing.

I think the hardest thing for me getting into something like Fortnite is not the game itself; rather, it’s not being able to play long enough and regularly enough to have those bonds with my fellow players. I was really into CoD up until the first Destiny. I played many days worth on all of those games. I used to play with my brothers and several friends we met on CoD 4 and beyond. However, I got married and then had kids and my playtime went from every day to next to nothing. I tried to play some of these games when I could but realized it was playing with people that I knew which made them fun. Honestly, my most favorite memories of video games are playing with my brothers at home as kids. It’s just not the same without them.

Top Bottom