• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If it happens, I’ll be thrilled. It’ll be a bit of a miniature megaton for MH to come home again... and I’m kind of fascinated to see what a third party Switch exclusive that (presumably) really uses the hardware looks like.
Vita rn

113cb801af06220cab2aafa6ee1dd6f6.jpg

Saruhashi

Banned
Pretty funny that the next generation is so underwhelming to a lot of people. What did they really expect?

Reminds me that people really forget the hybrid and portable selling points of the Switch.

Otherwise you are just poring over Digital Foundry videos looking for proof that actually the games run better on your Big Boy Console of choice.

For every argument that 3D all stars looks better being emulated on a decent PC there is the fact that it can be played multiple ways on Switch.

Same reason why the Switch ports of Diablo 3, Skyrim and Dark Souls are better than their Big Boy Console counterparts. Portable play. Or at least having multiple options.

New gen comes along and these Graphics Mongs are freaking out because the YouTube video of the new game looked kinda just like last gen. :)

Saruhashi

Banned
Have to say as well I don't really understand WHY people think 64 and Sunshine absolutely should be remasters.

64 is like a piece of history. A remaster would literally just be a complete graphics overhaul to look and run like Odyssey. So you lose all of the history only so you can say "it's better to look at now".

Since when was nostalgia defined as "completly changing the look at feel of something from the past but keeping the name"?

Gaming is a weird hobby in that regard. I have friends who seek out old vinyl records and old editions of books etc. We will rewatch old movies and attend events where old movies are screened with the soundtrack orchestrated live. Move over to gaming and people are appalled when given the option to buy some old games in close to their original form.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Have to say as well I don't really understand WHY people think 64 and Sunshine absolutely should be remasters.

64 is like a piece of history. A remaster would literally just be a complete graphics overhaul to look and run like Odyssey. So you lose all of the history only so you can say "it's better to look at now".

Since when was nostalgia defined as "completly changing the look at feel of something from the past but keeping the name"?

Gaming is a weird hobby in that regard. I have friends who seek out old vinyl records and old editions of books etc. We will rewatch old movies and attend events where old movies are screened with the soundtrack orchestrated live. Move over to gaming and people are appalled when given the option to buy some old games in close to their original form.
Eh, to be fair there's a spectrum of customers in this "retro remake / port" market now

On the one end are people who want to experience the old game for the first time but without stooping down to old graphics/mechanics.

On the other end are people who want to experience the old game as closely to the original as possible, perhaps using original CRT and original hardware.

In between you have plenty of people who maybe liked the old games but are eager to try it again with a new shine, and others who never tried the old game when it released and would like to experience them just like all the other fans have enjoyed the game up to this point. There are also studios like M2 that try to preserve the original feel / look / performance of the old games but adding in enhancements (spindash in Sonic 1) and player-aides (Gadgets in their Shot Triggers series).

And I think a lot of people simply do not care. They are neither thrilled nor disappointed that such-and-such collection does or doesn't contain some feature or some enhancement. They're just happy to play the games on the videogame system they own.

The whole thing kinda reminds me of the Star Wars special edition / original / super Blu Ray special edition / etc etc discussion. I can understand why someone would want the originals, and I can understand why someone would want the new paint job. Just depends on the person, I guess.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think a remake of 64 would have been awesome, but, ehhh. Nintendo has a finite amount of bandwidth to spend on things, and they clearly chose to spend their effort elsewhere, whether that’s BotW2, Animal Crossing, or other games we don’t know about yet.

So, I’m fine with Super Mario 64 mostly as it always was. It’s the most iconic example of 3D retro visuals ever, because it’s synonymous with the era, and defined so much of it. It’s beautiful in its own way, with fantastic art choices to start with, and a bit timeless.

Like I was saying in the Demon’s Souls thread, where I expressed disappointment at the artistic direction, but overall excitement at the product. You don’t always get what you want (within reason). But why not appreciate what you have?

Saruhashi

Banned
Eh, to be fair there's a spectrum of customers in this "retro remake / port" market now

On the one end are people who want to experience the old game for the first time but without stooping down to old graphics/mechanics.

On the other end are people who want to experience the old game as closely to the original as possible, perhaps using original CRT and original hardware.

In between you have plenty of people who maybe liked the old games but are eager to try it again with a new shine, and others who never tried the old game when it released and would like to experience them just like all the other fans have enjoyed the game up to this point. There are also studios like M2 that try to preserve the original feel / look / performance of the old games but adding in enhancements (spindash in Sonic 1) and player-aides (Gadgets in their Shot Triggers series).

And I think a lot of people simply do not care. They are neither thrilled nor disappointed that such-and-such collection does or doesn't contain some feature or some enhancement. They're just happy to play the games on the videogame system they own.

The whole thing kinda reminds me of the Star Wars special edition / original / super Blu Ray special edition / etc etc discussion. I can understand why someone would want the originals, and I can understand why someone would want the new paint job. Just depends on the person, I guess.

I guess. I just think it would take too much away from 64 to have it looking and playing like Odyssey.

Same with FFVII remake. I think they changes TOO much so now it's like a completely different game trying to pretend it's in the same league as all time classic.

Star Wars was like almost a form of vandalism! For me anyway. A cool thing about watching old SW and Jurassic Park etc nowadays is just appreciating all the tricks of the trade and how they cobbled together all this stuff to make all time greats.

That old jaggedy Mario is a part of history.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I guess. I just think it would take too much away from 64 to have it looking and playing like Odyssey.
Fully agree. But do you think the Crash remaster takes away from the original releases too? I can see it both ways. But as a horse-whipped shmup peasant, I have learned to "take what I can get" or to quietly invest the effort to get the game to run... ahem the way that I want. I don't think a re-release or remaster MUST follow one route or the other. I'm simply happy these games aren't being totally abandoned by their IP holders, which is a far more common situation for a lot of these games.

Same with FFVII remake. I think they changes TOO much so now it's like a completely different game trying to pretend it's in the same league as all time classic.

Star Wars was like almost a form of vandalism! For me anyway. A cool thing about watching old SW and Jurassic Park etc nowadays is just appreciating all the tricks of the trade and how they cobbled together all this stuff to make all time greats.

That old jaggedy Mario is a part of history.
Look, I'm still salty about all the dumbing-down of 2K's XCOM compared to the original. I agree with you, but a lot of people are gonna go "oh Star Wars on bluray for $15? Nice" and put it in their cart on the way to the bulk toilet paper aisle. That etherial, time-bound, culture-bound magic is impossible to replicate or even to pass on from generation to generation. The kids/teens who watched Alien/Aliens and then played Super Metroid (cutting edge graphics) are going to have a unique experience that won't be replicated by modern kid/teens who do not have that same pop-culture connection. In a way, though, there is a different satisfaction seeing these old products resonate with a fresh generation with fresh perspectives on it.

I prefer to praise developers when they do a good job, whether that means a faithful port of the original, a slightly-tweaked version, or a full remaster, as long as it plays well.

The unspoken underbelly of all this is that a lot of these ports / collections / remakes just straight up suck, and too bad because it's not like that shmup or that obscure TG-16 beat em up collection or that PC-exclusive strategy game turned into a shooter is gonna get another release anytime soon. It's the "Disney vault" problem multiplied 10,000x times across the hobby, not necessarily because of corporate greed but because of overwhelming volume. You can only remaster so much at a time. 🤷‍♀️

I'm fine with 3D All-Stars being a port collection, but at the very least include all games then. Galaxy 2 is sorely missed here, and there's no good reason not to include it. If they were going to pick and choose, they should've put a bit more effort into these ports.

Although the HD is nice, I'm not even sure the collection is the best way to play Galaxy. the Wii version has pointer controls, and from youtube, seems to have slightly more consistent 60FPS

I've never played sunshine but I think people also mentioned it uses the analog triggers on the GC? So presumably the collection has some kind of workaround for this too

inferior versions all round

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Although the HD is nice, I'm not even sure the collection is the best way to play Galaxy. the Wii version has pointer controls, and from youtube, seems to have slightly more consistent 60FPS

I've never played sunshine but I think people also mentioned it uses the analog triggers on the GC? So presumably the collection has some kind of workaround for this too

Did we ever get confirmation that the switch lite can play these just fine?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So, Hollow Knight Silksong today? Today's the day, right?

Did we ever get confirmation that the switch lite can play these just fine?

Yes, on the store page, it says: "To make use of Joy-Con features on Nintendo Switch Lite, a Joy-Con pair is required and the Nintendo Switch adjustable charging stand is recommended" and the same page clarifies that waggle is optional.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
So, Hollow Knight Silksong today? Today's the day, right?

Yes, on the store page, it says: "To make use of Joy-Con features on Nintendo Switch Lite, a Joy-Con pair is required and the Nintendo Switch adjustable charging stand is recommended."

Cool, thanks. I vastly prefer using my lite for handheld.

I think we will get the MH's and Bravely news. But who knows.

Astral Dog

Pretty funny that the next generation is so underwhelming to a lot of people. What did they really expect?

Reminds me that people really forget the hybrid and portable selling points of the Switch.

Otherwise you are just poring over Digital Foundry videos looking for proof that actually the games run better on your Big Boy Console of choice.

For every argument that 3D all stars looks better being emulated on a decent PC there is the fact that it can be played multiple ways on Switch.

Same reason why the Switch ports of Diablo 3, Skyrim and Dark Souls are better than their Big Boy Console counterparts. Portable play. Or at least having multiple options.

New gen comes along and these Graphics Mongs are freaking out because the YouTube video of the new game looked kinda just like last gen. :)
They are mostly bitching about the cross gen games and XSS

To me the games lineup (well Sony) looks pretty solid, GOW2, Demon Souls, SpiderMan, RE8, Ratchet, FFXVI, Harry Potter, DMC5SE, Horizon, Ratchet, that Xbox horror game etc.

Its not a buy day one lineup if you already have a PS4pro or a decent PC. But thats part of the generation transition imo its not a big deal if the first year has cross gen games if they look good and play well.

Now were is today amazing Direct :messenger_beaming:

StormCell

What's inferior is playing Sunshine and Galaxy in sub 720i in 2020. These games look great in HD, and the controls are improved IMO, at least in Galaxy's case. I hated the motion and IR controls.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Just be glad they can't use twitch chat emotes on there.

It's like Jontron once said: "you can have a sword stuck in your head but you could also have two swords stuck in your head" it's all relative.

Also important to remember, there's no limit to the amount of metaphorical swords that can and probably will be stuck in your head, so just appreciate the one, hahaha.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Grats to MH fans. Not my jam but I know you lot eat that stuff up.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Stories was solid but the post-game was non-existent. For a MH game, that's a cardinal sin. I would've liked to spend more time training monsties but there wasn't enough content/challenge to justify it. I still spent about 50 or 60 hours in it, nearly as much as MHW.

MH Rise..... it looks like Freedom/Portable is truly back. Can't wait for the MH direct in a bit.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Switch owners: play Ori 2. It's one of the best damn games this year. Don't miss out.
How well does the first one run on the switch? I might end up playing both games there.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Empire Of Sin looks like it might be fun. PGA might be fun - I've not had a golf game since Tournament Golf on the Atari ST. Rune Factory 5 has awesome music, the game itself looks weirdly quite fun too. Interesting - I might actually end up buying something from that lot.

Top Bottom