• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Impotaku

My UK G&W arrived this morning feels really nice, despite the people on youtube making it look like it's hard to play it's actually really nice in the hands the button positions haven't hampered me in the slightest gave SMB a spin and it feels good. The speaker is quite nice too despite it's size it's not that tinny at all. Screen is stupidly sharp and bright it's gonna work great as my new clock i can see the numbers great i have turned off the ticking noise though as that would make it impossible to sleep.
N3hcRfI.jpg

And on it's specially made stand
C6RD5Ha.jpg

Made the right choice on the USB cable the one in the box is stupidly short it's like a couple of inches in length plus it sticks out the side looking stupid, the one i got sits flush to the side and blends in. Now in it's final place it will be interesting to see how long that screen holds out for seeing as it will be on all the time now. The only thing remaining to do is pick up a couple of screen protectors from Japan now that they have got ones out there designed to fit that screen. The unit powers off after a few mins if you are not using it you get a little mario sleeping pic then it powers down apart from if you are charging it, if you are charging the screen will stay on permanently so you can have it running as a clock.
vt5TyVU.jpg

As for the 35 hidden touches Nintendo said are in this thing the only 2 i have found so far is holding down the A button for about 5 seconds brings up the how to draw mario song and while on the time screen holding A&B in makes the time blocks flash gold for a second.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
I think Switch + PS4 is gonna be the combo for the next 3+ years. Most devs are too cashpoor (esp with the lockdowns and economic downturns) to jump right into 4k / 120fps asset generation, so hopefully we'll keep getting more "current gen"-tier games.

Also, the craftmanship in Luigi's Mansion 3 is absurd. A lot of 1st party Switch games have felt phoned in (personally) but this is really solid, coming from someone who never bothered with the series on prior systems.

This is basically my worry with buying a new console these days and if Switch Pro is a thing it'll make me hesitate in any future Switch 2.

If a mid gen upgrade is all but guaranteed then I feel that buying a new console at launch only to get last-gen level content for the first while is not preferable to just waiting for the inevitable upgrade.

Thinking with PS4 that Horizon, RDR2, Sekiro, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, Resi2 Remake and FFVII Remake all came after the PS4 Pro was out there. It seems like there isn't a massive incentive to jump in early on a launch console. When will we see PS5 Pro? 3 years? So some trailers we might see at, for example, E3 2021 will actually be games that play far better on PS5 Pro.

Same with BOTW 2. If it comes out as a Switch Pro game then I'd be thinking next time around that I would hold off on Switch 2 because ultimately there will be a mid gen update and it might even be worth the wait.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This is basically my worry with buying a new console these days and if Switch Pro is a thing it'll make me hesitate in any future Switch 2.

If a mid gen upgrade is all but guaranteed then I feel that buying a new console at launch only to get last-gen level content for the first while is not preferable to just waiting for the inevitable upgrade.

Thinking with PS4 that Horizon, RDR2, Sekiro, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, Resi2 Remake and FFVII Remake all came after the PS4 Pro was out there. It seems like there isn't a massive incentive to jump in early on a launch console. When will we see PS5 Pro? 3 years? So some trailers we might see at, for example, E3 2021 will actually be games that play far better on PS5 Pro.

Same with BOTW 2. If it comes out as a Switch Pro game then I'd be thinking next time around that I would hold off on Switch 2 because ultimately there will be a mid gen update and it might even be worth the wait.
My key issue is that the low- mid-tier content always takes a long time to transition over to the new platforms. Heck, 3DS didn't die very long ago and is still transitioning over to Switch. Certain genres lag further behind compared to others, e.g. I wouldn't expect a fighting game like Guilty Gear STRIVE to go next-gen-only for several iterations (if ever) because of the massive PS4 installed base. Nintendo gonna slurp up allllll of this late-gen/cross-gen deliciousness for years while the big boys get their footing on the new boxes.

I owned a base PS4 from 2015 to 2020, then I bought a Pro. That'll carry me for awhile as I replay favorites and pick up new titles. A Switch Pro would be a similar purchase, incentivizing me to go back and replay favorites and extending the lifespan of that generation.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
My UK G&W arrived this morning feels really nice, despite the people on youtube making it look like it's hard to play it's actually really nice in the hands the button positions haven't hampered me in the slightest gave SMB a spin and it feels good. The speaker is quite nice too despite it's size it's not that tinny at all. Screen is stupidly sharp and bright it's gonna work great as my new clock i can see the numbers great i have turned off the ticking noise though as that would make it impossible to sleep.
N3hcRfI.jpg

And on it's specially made stand
C6RD5Ha.jpg

Made the right choice on the USB cable the one in the box is stupidly short it's like a couple of inches in length plus it sticks out the side looking stupid, the one i got sits flush to the side and blends in. Now in it's final place it will be interesting to see how long that screen holds out for seeing as it will be on all the time now. The only thing remaining to do is pick up a couple of screen protectors from Japan now that they have got ones out there designed to fit that screen. The unit powers off after a few mins if you are not using it you get a little mario sleeping pic then it powers down apart from if you are charging it, if you are charging the screen will stay on permanently so you can have it running as a clock.
vt5TyVU.jpg

As for the 35 hidden touches Nintendo said are in this thing the only 2 i have found so far is holding down the A button for about 5 seconds brings up the how to draw mario song and while on the time screen holding A&B in makes the time blocks flash gold for a second.
Neat stand. Wasn't aware of the new things they added.
Jooxed Jooxed
Looking at this thread from purgatory was depressing. I wanted to contribute, but couldn’t. I felt useless, like Toad in Super Mario Bros 2. That ban bet was a poor decision.

Lionel Richie Lionel Richie
OutrageousFacts OutrageousFacts wouldn’t stop talking about lolis and Xenoblade games.

Evangelion Unit-01 Evangelion Unit-01 N Nicktendo_
Thanks for the well wishes.
Glad you're back. Xenoblade and Fire Emblem chat started out great and then devolved into degeneracy.
You can get the Game & Watch from Best Buy if you’re patient. It takes about 5-10 minutes for the site to let you buy it.
Seems like these are well stocked. I was expecting trouble snagging one. That Fire Emblem LE is nearly impossible to find though.

Speaking of Fire Emblem it is currently $35 physical/$40 digital at Amazon and Best Buy. If anyone doesn't have it already then go buy it. If BOTW didn't exist it would be the best Switch title.
I'm tempted to buy it, but I'm behind on the games I already own. Also, I can't imagine starting a game like Fire Emblem when Hyrule Warriors 2 comes out in a couple weeks. My attention is divided enough as it is now. I'm afraid that if I start Fire Emblem, I'll end up like Shaqazooloo Shaqazooloo with hundreds of hours clocked before I know what happened.

Shaqazooloo

I'm tempted to buy it, but I'm behind on the games I already own. Also, I can't imagine starting a game like Fire Emblem when Hyrule Warriors 2 comes out in a couple weeks. My attention is divided enough as it is now. I'm afraid that if I start Fire Emblem, I'll end up like Shaqazooloo Shaqazooloo with hundreds of hours clocked before I know what happened.
Buy it anyway even if you don't play it right away, who knows if it'll ever go on sale again.

btw all this talk of Fire Emblem is making me want to start my 6th playthrough.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Fire Emblem is the better game though. I say this as a Zelda fan. Like Shaqazooloo Shaqazooloo said buy it anyways!
btw all this talk of Fire Emblem is making me want to start my 6th playthrough.
Do it.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Last edited:

Astral Dog

Im not too worried because the Series S leaves more juice for the launch consoles to work with resolution and effects, but i didn't found the framerate difference between PS4 and Pro that impressive 🤷‍♂️ because mostly base PS was good.

I agree that waiting is for the best, if you don't want to spend a lot of money at launch im waiting to see what happens with VILLAGE because thats my most hyped sequel in years :p if not i could easily wait a couple years for a no bulky version

Andyliini

Just finished Three Houses the other day, definitely agree that it's a great game, almost a masterpiece. Hopefully IS can deliver another great game like this in the future.

While waiting for Hyrule Warriors, I decided to play Wallachia: Reign of Dracula, I bought a physical version of it. I'm a bit disappointed, as Castlevania is mentioned as it's inspiration, but there's not much of in here. It plays like those old Arcade run n' gun games, where stages throw enemies at you and you must survive the onslaught. I can be fun, but I anticipated a bit different game with that style of logo.

Shitposting aside, it's a truly fantastic game. It's one of the many reasons why the NINTENDO IS COASTING shitposting gets under my skin so much. Like almost every Nintendo franchise that saw a game released on the Switch got arguably the best game in that franchise. If they had spaced out that insane schedule between Crafted World and Pokeymans to the first half of this year, instead of releasing them all in 6 months spacing them out for a year, this conversation wouldn't even be feasible.

Just tell them its doing better than Wii U + 3DS numbers.

NOW there's some good stuff, it hadn't even crossed my mind lol.

This is going to be Nintendo's most profitable year ever. That will be good evidence against that.

I mean this HAS to be a coordinated effort at some level, I'm seeing this Wii + DS thing too much for it to be a coincidence. People are already ramping up the shitposting in anticipation to the Switch outselling the PS5/SEX.

Woopah

NOW there's some good stuff, it hadn't even crossed my mind lol.

I mean this HAS to be a coordinated effort at some level, I'm seeing this Wii + DS thing too much for it to be a coincidence. People are already ramping up the shitposting in anticipation to the Switch outselling the PS5/SEX.
People see it and think it's a good argument, without realising why it isn't.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Nah, the DS, not 3DS. DS is insane at like 146 million or something. Combine that with the Wii and its absurd thinking.
The DS + 3DS era was intense. I love the library. My DS broke so fucking early...I only played Super Mario 64, got all the 150 stars, then played Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and that thing was busted. I think it was that fucking shell bowling minigame for Super Mario 64 extras that did it lmao

The Wii was unique, everyone had one. I think the motion aspect sold a lot of people bc honestly, the library did not impress me

Switch is 6.1 million units away from the Wii total sales apparently, so maybe by Spring of next year it passes that, which would be impressive

If Nintendo brought gameboy games to Switch, GCN, N64 and made changes to their online experience they could dominate the globe. Add to that, making a console that can handle all the games a PS or XB could they’d be unstoppable. I don’t know what’s holding them back? They can do it and do it their way but they insist in lagging behind decades...Really don’t understand their business model but somehow they always manage to do well no matter what’s happens

Eevee86

The DS + 3DS era was intense. I love the library. My DS broke so fucking early...I only played Super Mario 64, got all the 150 stars, then played Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and that thing was busted. I think it was that fucking shell bowling minigame for Super Mario 64 extras that did it lmao

The Wii was unique, everyone had one. I think the motion aspect sold a lot of people bc honestly, the library did not impress me

Switch is 6.1 million units away from the Wii total sales apparently, so maybe by Spring of next year it passes that, which would be impressive

If Nintendo brought gameboy games to Switch, GCN, N64 and made changes to their online experience they could dominate the globe. Add to that, making a console that can handle all the games a PS or XB could they’d be unstoppable. I don’t know what’s holding them back? They can do it and do it their way but they insist in lagging behind decades...Really don’t understand their business model but somehow they always manage to do well no matter what’s happens
No way thats right. Wii was like 102 million and Switch is at 68 I believe.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Wii and DS were a different time.

DS was hot on the heels of the GameBoy. It also pre-dated the iPhone/Android era. The iPhone didn't come out until 2007. 3DS was already on the market before Apple released iPad. Mobile gaming didn't really begin to mature until 2010/2011 when titles like Angry Birds were huge.

Wii had the novelty factor with the motion controls. A ton of non-traditional games were buying them. They were even showing up in nursing homes. Games like Wii Sports, Guitar Hero, Wii Fit, and Just Dance managed to find completely new markets.

Both consoles had backwards compatibility which gave it an immediate market to sell to.

You also had a few externalities that contributed to success. The 2008 financial crisis had people pulling back on their vacation and other entertainment plans. More people were choosing to find cheaper options like video games. It helped that Wii was priced cheaper than Xbox and PlayStation. There was also the TV writer's strike in 2007 and 2008 which led to a drop in TV viewership. Not too long after that Netflix began to take off with streaming and a lot of people began to leverage their Wii to watch videos.

All of that to say, it was a perfect storm in a market with fewer competitors. Its a bad comparison.

MagnesG

Banned
This is going to be Nintendo's most profitable year ever. That will be good evidence against that.
It's possible for the next year to top it with BOTW2 and MH Rise. I even expect Rise to sell more than MH World's 16 millions in its lifetime with higher attach rate of its expansion compared to World's 6 millions.

BOTW2 is a no brainer with a new Switch model coming. It's gonna be a repeat of Switch launch numbers again.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Still waiting on Leon S. Kennedy, Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, and Claire to enter the fray ....

Maybe they can’t decide which one to introduce first?

If fucking Steve can get in, there has to be a Resident Evil character in. It’s only a matter of time

2nd random thought:

Shaqazooloo Shaqazooloo , all i have to say is that your winning percentage is in danger when Mario Party decides to go fully online

you will never encounter another Mario Party general like I. I’m feared in MP games, i’ll burn the nearest cornfield and the fire will take the shape of a Wiggler as the helicopters make their way into the sky to report on it. Then you’ll know just how serious Mario Party can get boy

Top Bottom