• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Favorite 'Far Cry' Game? Vote inside! Get...at....a..thread (GAAT?!?!?!)

Which Far Cry game is YOUR personal favorite?

• Far Cry

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Far Cry Instincts

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Far Cry Instincts: Predator

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Far Cry 2

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • Far Cry 3/Blood Dragon

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • Fry Cry 4

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • Far Cry Primal

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Far Cry 5

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Far Cry New Dawn

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
giphy.gif

So I have Uplay+ but I rarely used it and decided I need to start taking advantage of it more so recently.

I have been running through Far Cry titles (while finally playing some AC:Odyssey on the side, what a great game)

I remember loving Far Cry and Far Cry 2 when I was younger. I remember the sense of scale, draw distance, felt very impressive/

giphy.gif

Far Cry 3 seemed to take it to a whole new level. The characters in that game, memorable moments, compelling villain.

giphy.gif

The last few weeks I tried out Far Cry 4, Primal, and 5 (haven't gotten to New Dawn yet)

I couldn't get past 6 hours of FC4, just wasn't interested/into it

Far Cry Primal is awesome so far, loving it, 14 hours in and playing every day

giphy.gif

FC5 has impressed me with the visuals (maxed out settings with the ultra texture pack installed), only played fora couple hours though, am gonna finish Primal first, then after FC5 will try New Dawn.

I like the XP system of earlier FC games. I do not like the perk system in FC5 and, from what I read, New Dawn has too.

Something about seeing XP tick up after a kill just keeps me going for more. I am just one of those "needs a carrot dangling in front of me" gamers I guess.

I have never really gotten into the MP portions these games offer, in various forms. From what I understand some offered PvP, some offered PvE, some both. I really don't know how well any of that played out.

If I had to vote, I would say so far Primal is my favorite, but FC3 is SO good too. Spent a LOT of time with that game back when it came out. FC5 seems like it has promise, need to play it more though

What say you, fellow gamers (SteveBuschemiGif)?

Thanks for reading!

giphy.gif

EdIt

Side Question

Side question:

why does FC5 with ultra texture pack run better on my PC with maxed out settings than FC3, FCP, and FC4?

Poor optimizations with the earlier games? Or is TAA that much of a performance saver over the prior AA solutions? It looks way better than the other games and runs noticeably better on my 2070 Super

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For me, it's Far Cry 4.

Second would be Far Cry 3 and third would be Far Cry Primal.

Side question:

why does FC5 with ultra texture pack run better on my PC with maxed out settings than FC3, FCP, and FC4?

Poor optimizations with the earlier games? Or is TAA that much of a performance saver over the prior AA solutions? It looks way better than the other games and runs noticeably better on my 2070 Super

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'll do a short overview of what I played:

Far Cry - Played this on PC for only a few minutes. Don't remember much, but clearly wasn't very fun.
Far Cry 2 - My introduction to the series. Tough some aspects were cool, while other things like the checkpoints and weapon jamming was annoying. Had really cool fire spreading mechanics.
Far Cry 3 - Had a great time with this one and still remember specific moments like the drug field mission. Crafting was okay and wasn't overdone this early in the series. Peak of the series for me. Blood Dragon was amazing as well and a fantastic addition.
Far Cry 4 - never played this one
Far Cry Primal - Went into this with low expectations, but was surprised how much fun it was. The overall map was a little bland, but the missions weren't too bad. Taming and using the beasts was awesome.
Far Cry 5 - Very bland overall and left me disappointed. Played through most of it with a friend otherwise I doubt I would have finished it. I actually tried the online modes for this one and that was a complete mess. Didn't bother with any of the DLC.

EDIT: Totally forgot about New Dawn, which I also haven't played.

Best: 3/Blood Dragon
Worst: 5
Didn't play 4 and never finished 1.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Going to have to go with 4.

The setting was great and the game didn't suffer from a lot of the limitations that 3 had (my runner-up) because it was made for the PS4 / Xbox One generation of consoles. Pagan Min was a pretty good bad guy and they made it really easy to hate him. Helicopter flight was easily the best part of the game. Crafting was present but still not a huge deal.

I felt like five was a huge step backwards - it just wasn't that fun.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Having recently finished FC5, FC2 will forever be the upper most point of the series. The experimental ideas, pc focused technology and focus on emergent gameplay makes it unforgettable for me. I put FC2 on the same pedestal as stalker and deus ex.

yeah i voted 2. i saw this video when 5 came out and i went and bought 2.

damn that game is awesome. also kinda feels the least like a Far Cry? quite experimental.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I want to say 2, but had to go with 3 for story and gameplay. I hated how the incredible and perhaps still best ever fire mechanics were essentially made superficial from 2 to 3, but 2 had a lot of other issues.

After 3, its just been the same game with worse stories.

Far Cry 3 has the best content, but FC2 felt like the most authentic game of the bunch:

Realistic gameplay
Graphics are beautiful even nowadays
Weapons felt different from one another
You really felt like you were fighting in a dangerous place where everybody wanted to kill you

I will go back and check it out again

been forever

Played fc1, it was okay.
Played fc2, I did enjoy it but the malaria thing was shit.
FarCry 3 was my most fav.
One of the best games Ubisoft ever put out during last gen. Blood dragon is pure gold.
I hated primal, I thought it was pure shit.
I also loved fc4, it was enjoyable. Pagan Min was a cool character. Can't hold a candle to Vaas but still pretty good. Kyrat was a good setting.
I liked fc5 but didn't enjoy the open ended mission structure. It felt off.
Didn't play that standalone dlc for fc5, it looks like crap with all the forced leveling.

I really liked the "perk" challenges in FC 5 that gave you skill points. They felt like actual designed levels and were really great with puzzles and platforming. The haunted house one in particular was really good. I also really dug the setting.

I’m really surprised how much I’m enjoying Primal. It’s just simple fun. Feels like a nice chance of pace after burning out on FC4 pretty quickly

I really liked the taming system in Primal, it's pretty dope once you get some of the unique pets. It's kinda crazy how fast cave man Jensen can run to.

The thing about Primal is the MC is really kind of a murderous rampaging monster if you stop and think about it lol.

FC2 with a few QoL mods (such as the annoying respawning enemy camps that follow you all over the world) is my personal favorite. It's hard but extremely fun once you git gud. Also the only one (to my knowledge) that has no hud.

I got bored with Primal, but I've yet to give it a proper shot.

Disliked 4 & 5.

Haven't played Blood Dragon yet.

FC2 with a few QoL mods (such as the annoying respawning enemy camps that follow you all over the world) is my personal favorite. It's hard but extremely fun once you git gud. Also the only one (to my knowledge) that has no hud.

I got bored with Primal, but I've yet to give it a proper shot.

Disliked 4 & 5.

Haven't played Blood Dragon yet.

I can’t remember if I played FC2 with mods. I’ll have to check into this when I replay it

I'm going to be the weirdo who votes for New Dawn.

3 was great for its time, but it just went on for too long, after the 'incident' with Va'as I just lost all desire to finish the story.

Blood Dragon is my 2nd favorite, but as much as I love it I can't bring myself to get back into it. I missed the freedom of perk choices, though I understand time and budget.

4 was boring IMO, and I take issue with storytelling that paints the Big Bad as the legitimate least worst option. Pagan Min was a slightly off-kilter dictator, but he wasn't a theocratic nightmare of a totalitarian, or narco-state terrorist who uses enslaved child soldiers.

Primal was entertaining, but forgettable IMO.

5 was excellent gameplay wise, but absolutely unforgivable in the way it snatched you out of whatever task you were up to, and force you into the story missions. All they had to do was unlock the story mission once you built that mayhem bar up enough, and let you do them at your own pace.

New Dawn, on the other hand, had everything I loved about 5's gameplay, none of the forced story mission nonsense that I can remember, and gave both insight and closure to one of gaming's most fucked up villains.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
5 is the best one for me, so far. Best gunplay, open-world activities and variety in missions. Gorgeous HDR. Best soundtrack by a mile. I had a great time with it.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I’m really surprised how much I’m enjoying Primal. It’s just simple fun. Feels like a nice chance of pace after burning out on FC4 pretty quickly
The game was fun, but you could tell it wasn't given a full FC treatment. And those mammoth missions 🤮.

I would absolutely love a sequel though, especially if treated like a mainline FC as far as development. Put dinosaurs in it and make it a bit more fantastical and it could be really amazing.

I never played Far Cry 1, started with 2 and thought it was pretty meh. 3 was such a huge improvement in every regard and I think it might be the best game Ubisoft has ever released.

4 was good but it felt like they had the formula with 3 and they just rinse/repeat'ed it. Didn't play Primal.

5 was okay but the open world aspect (go anywhere at anytime) just hurt the game. It was 20 hours of the same thing with no challenge. New Dawn was a bit of an improvement but still nothing special.

I'll probably skip FC6 unless they do some major overhauls, it's become pretty stagnant

Verchod

I remember really liking FC2, it would be good if they could go back to that area and play style. 3 & 4 were both great, and fairly similar in style. I bought 5 last year but I haven't finished it. Some of the story stuff is irritating and puts me off.

I feel the series is getting a little tired now, it needs something to shake it up.

D3SCHA1N

4 is my favorite. ironed out some of 3's rough edges and there was some time between it and 3 so I wasn't playing them back to back and burning myself out on FC like it seems OP is doing. The additions of new takedowns, shooting whilst driving, coop and fortresses just bumped it up a peg. 3 is still really good and blood dragon was a great little side title to it. Primal was ok but would've been a lot more fun if it had full coop throughout the campaign. 5 was underwhelming to me, didn't like many of the higher level changes (removal of XP and a few takedowns, gun for hire focus, silent protag)

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I got FC5 Gold in the sale, was going to get the standard version but it was only £4 more and ive had some free credit given to me so no brainer in the lockdown. To my surprise FC3 came with the dlc and downloaded first so I gave it a whirl while the main course has downloaded. Wtf I was a bit meh for 30 mins but wow, i can't put it down and after reading this thread I'm a bit err, is 5 not as good as I don't want to play it until I've finished 3, which I had no intention of playing.
I have played FC4 but couldn't get into it. I also played the original back on the PC but the AI was awful and I also have FC2 which was free with GWG but haven't played that.
But anyway I'm really enjoying this 8 year old game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom