• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaffers may want to search & archive images and gifs from important threads over the last 10 years before Imgur deletes ALL guest posts on May 15th.

Imgur has been the fastest and primary site to host images for over 10 years for many websites, gaming websites especially. Neogaf is no different, just throwing a few random search terms I can find threads using Imgur hosted gifs and jpgs going back years.

Fanmade creations, important information, interviews, scans, sales data, leaks, scandals, deleted social media posts, well-researched educational stuff, images from big gaming events, all of these are about to be permanently deleted in LESS than 4 days because Imgur has decided to delete ALL images uploaded since its inception that aren't connected to an account. Most imgur uploads are not from registered accounts.

With the internet archive sites recently becoming useless for preserving images and gifs the last few years because they aren't consistent in what they save, people need to start searching and archiving now if they don't want stuff to be lost forever. I've posted this on several other sites as well, feel free to copy this and spread it around yourself because the news about Imgurs decision has flown under the radar of millions of people, and there's about to be a lot of trouble when people see that over a decades worth of community is erased overnight. May15th is the deadline, so just wanted to remind people that once it passes, that's it. It's done.

The site could convert this stuff and save in-house, but I assume that costs a ton of money and isn't feasible, which may be why the Image tab when making a post or reply just takes your image and uploads it to imgur, instead of saving it to the site itself based on the FAQ.

Might need to create some archive threads and save what people can. What's ironic is that the threads archived on the site also have Imgur stuff so those could become empty too.

The cloud is a lie.

This is a huge slap in the face. A bunch, if not all OT's use a bunch of imgur links.

Hope this backfires on them somehow, sorry.

I was hoping the backlash would be enough for them to delay or to change their mind. It never made sense, why not keep what's out there and make it so that images uploaded after the 15th erase after a month or something? Why erase everything up until May 15th and limit what guest users can post after?

But they are still going through with it so that's it. Spread it around other sites and let them know, less than 4 days until the nukes.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
This is sad. One of the things i love about Neogaf are the funny gifs.
Happy Like A Dragon GIF by SEGA

I'm somebody who uses many animated gifs as reaction posts on NeoGAF, so naturally I'm bummed about this whole thing. I understand the reason behind it as accounts allow for some order within the chaos.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Imgur has been the fastest and primary site to host images for over 10 years for many websites, gaming websites especially. Neogaf is no different, just throwing a few random search terms I can find threads using Imgur hosted gifs and jpgs going back years.

Fanmade creations, important information, interviews, scans, sales data, leaks, scandals, deleted social media posts, well-researched educational stuff, images from big gaming events, all of these are about to be permanently deleted in LESS than 4 days because Imgur has decided to delete ALL images uploaded since its inception that aren't connected to an account. Most imgur uploads are not from registered accounts.

With the internet archive sites recently becoming useless for preserving images and gifs the last few years because they aren't consistent in what they save, people need to start searching and archiving now if they don't want stuff to be lost forever. I've posted this on several other sites as well, feel free to copy this and spread it around yourself because the news about Imgurs decision has flown under the radar of millions of people, and there's about to be a lot of trouble when people see that over a decades worth of community is erased overnight. May15th is the deadline, so just wanted to remind people that once it passes, that's it. It's done.
If people want to preserve something they shouldn't put it on some free online service to begin with.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Speaking of data preservation, is there a GAF thread on home NAS’s? I’d love to see what some people’s setups are and learn more about them as well.

-Zelda-

Banned
Can we get whoever runs this site to post and let us know if there are any plans to preserve this stuff and also access to this stuff?

bitbydeath

People still use imgur?
I recall always seeing broken image posts on here that referenced it. Figured most moved onto something better like abload.

theHFIC

Mods: Moving forward, am I allowed to link to images from my own personal hosting or does it have to come from a public "trusted" place like Imgur / giphy / etc?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Reached out to Imgur but they’re going through with this as planned, and we’re not able to download every image in time thanks to rate limits Imgur has put up.

ZoukGalaxy

I wish pictures where hosted directly on neogaf when using the +Image function.
Reached out to Imgur but they’re going through with this as planned, and we’re not able to download every image in time thanks to rate limits Imgur has put up.
If not too late, maybe we can all help if a public list of imgur link used here (format txt, xls...etc) is posted ?
So we can share the task by using any download manager and since we have all different IPs, it will dilute the rate limit. Just an idea.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I wish pictures where hosted directly on neogaf when using the +Image function.

If not too late, maybe we can all help if a public list of imgur link used here (format txt, xls...etc) is posted ?
So we can use any download manager and since we have all different IPs, it will diluate the rate limit. Just an idea.
There are 8.5 million imgur urls to archive.

It's starting, some websites thought it would be gradual because earlier it seemed like it was slow, and then poof all their content was gone. But it's not happening all at once on every website, so you still may be able to grab what you can.

All unregistered images have an unspecified time limit before removal now. I would register an account if you're still planning on using it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom