• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFCliques are the worst thing that can happen to this forum.

Over the past two years, I've went through several phases as a GAF member, both publicly and privately.

I've been on both sides of the spectrum that is "internet forum", and what I learned over the past two years is how destructive forum cliques are to the community of a forum.

It's one thing to have a community with a shared interest, say SonyGAF/XboxGAF/MusicGAF, but when a small group of members form.a clique and isolate themselves from the community at large, things tend to get messy and confusing for the forum in general.

I'll give you an example: say you're in a thread and the topic at hand is either an inside joke between a group of members (i.e. GAFClique) or the thread is about a general topic but gets derailed/bombarded with inside jokes that only the GAFclique understands.

I was a part of this exact problem and it took me a long time to realize how terrible it was for other members to experience once I became an independent GAF member.

Like it or not, members and humans in general don't like to feel left behind on something, whether it's a joke, a running gag, or even a point of discussion/perspective.

I've experienced both sides and enjoyed both sides to the fullest, but I would say that being an inclusive & independent member of a forum is far more rewarding & satisfying than being part of an intimate yet exclusionary GAFClique.

It's important now more than ever to invest your energy and time to get to know your fellow forum community and members, join in on the topics, and don't be tempted to create a GAFClique and develop a false sense of superiority, like I did before.

Human beings are created to know one another.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Well tell me what's going on in this phone call then, I don't like being left behind.

748899.jpg

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I don't know about that. But I don't see a problem if a joked happened on GAFs discord and continued here

Its a public GAF server and I don't think its anyones problem if a member isn't there. I don't feel like I have to explain everything that I say

But if it happened among a group always on the forums, don't expect any of us to actually understand whatever that person is saying
arent you in the islam clique
Its not called a "clique" .. We don't run around saying "hey, as a muslim...." in every post

It happened with conversations so it isn't a "clique"

ManofOne

Plus Member
This is silly.

Where did you learn this sociological phenomenon from, clown school? :goog_rofl:

I'm specifically talking about internet forum cliques.

What did I say wrong there? Its the same for internet forums. Despite me being an old GAF member, I created a new account, pretty sure I was suspected of being a REE. I didn't understand the whole BRAP thing but cliques often disappear fairly quickly in most social groups depending on your level of social adaptability.

Its only unhealthy if you feel bullied, do you feel bullied?

Last edited:
What did I say wrong there? Its the same for interent forums. Despite me being an old GAF member, I created a new account, pretty sure I was suspected of being a REE. I didn't understand the whole BRAP thing but cliques often disappear fairly quickly in most social groups depending on your level of adaptability.

Its only unhealthy if you feel bullied, do you feel bullied?
No, quite the opposite.

I feel a bit embarrassed when I see internet cliques exuding a false sense of superiority over others. I have first-hand experience with this.

This isn't a out being bullied or hurt by cliques, this is about the bigger picture of the forum.

Forums live and die by their communities, and cliques don't help nurture those communities per say.

I think if cliques don't develop the right amount of self-awareness, they increase their chances of becoming outcasts of a forum.

ManofOne

Plus Member
No, quite the opposite.

I feel a bit embarrassed when I see internet cliques exuding a false sense of superiority over others. I have first-hand experience with this.

This isn't a out being bullied or hurt by cliques, this is about the bigger picture of the forum.

Forums live and die by their communities, and cliques don't help nurture those communities per say.

I think if cliques don't develop the right amount of self-awareness, they increase their chances of becoming outcasts of a forum.

Cliques are there as a right of passage, a litmus test for joining that group. It not exuding a sense of superiority if the requirement is a quick understanding of the program.

A good example of this is lets say there is a group of hot guys and all of sudden an incel joins that group and all he says when a girl pass by is " fuck me please, look i'm with the cool kids." That's not

sit well with the group.

Cliques are normative with social groups directly or indirectly.

Cliques are there as a right of passage, a litmus test for joining that group. It not exuding a sense of superiority if the requirement is a quick understanding of the program.

A good example of this is lets say there is a group of hot guys and all of sudden an incel joins that group and all he says when a girl pass by is " fuck me please, look i'm with the cool kids." That's not

sit well with the group.

Cliques are normative with social groups directly or indirectly.
Your confusing groups of likeminded people with "cliques" who look down on other members of the community.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Your confusing groups of likeminded people with "cliques" who look down on other members of the community.

I'm not sure what your definition of a clique (not being critical), all I am saying it natural for groups to form cliques within or through any medium. Removing them is going against a development cycle that existed since humans start walking the earth

Last edited:
Top Bottom