• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what are your parents like?

Mondai

As much as I love my parents , they can be a pain to deal with. I am very grateful to them since they have helped me a lot but man they have very little empathy for others, especially my father. I can’t talk to him about my issues or anything or he’ll go on a boomer rant (back in my day, we used to deal with stuff like real men, etc), he’s stuck in that old way of thinking and refuses to change so I pretty much gave on on him ever seeing my point of view.

My mother is nice but very scatterbrained, you can talk to her better but she also has her own old way mentality.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
- Old ass immigrants dirt poor and knew zero english. Half the family tree killed. They had no parents when they were teenager age

- Not the most fun people to hang around as they are super boring, but mean well

- As long as all us kids went to school, got a job, didnt smoke or do drugs or crime, that's basically good enough for them as they assumed the rest of our lives would shake out fine (which they did). Dinner time was nothing but nagging. If my siblings werent there to make it fine, it's be like getting lectured all through dinner

- They live in a giant house, but still live like paupers buying everything on sale. My dad's point is to hoard money since they dont like spending and to give it all to us when they die. I estimate my share to be worth $200-300k assuming he splits it evenly among my siblings, nephews and nieces. But I dont know exactly what dad has planned, but he did say to us at one time "everyone gets 1 share"

- Despite their boring Scrooge personalities, the most honest people you'll ever meet. They believe in education a lot, so they have no problem doling out money to help you out even though they really have no idea what you'll do with it. For example, the second they hear someone's kid in the fam tree is going to university, my parents would likely give them $1000-2000 as a gift. This is the only thing I know which goes against the Scrooge part (anything to do with school). Growing up, I never missed one $10 field trip or end of year $300 trip the schools did. They scrimp and save on buying socks on sale, but have no problem signing the waiver and paying for school stuff. I paid for my own student loans, but if I needed money they'd pay it off for me if I really wanted it. But if I asked them for money to buy a big TV, they probably tell me to fuck off

- Their political views are the same as mine. I think all of us have similar views. Be a man and pay for your own shit and get a job. Dont be a deadbeat or loser. But for sake of all people, universal healthcare and good schooling for all kids. I believe the same. I have no kids, but I believe if my tax money is going to be funneled somewhere, every kid deserves a shot at good education even if they live in a poor neighbourhood. Same with healthcare. Were all pretty healthy and I never need to go to the hospital. But I think a lot of bad healthcare comes from bad luck getting diseases out of nowhere or a broken leg so people need a break on that

Last edited:

MastAndo

My parents are generally pretty great. Very nice people, though far from perfect. They're well up there in years, but still active and looking great for their age.

Growing up, my mom was always an overprotective worry-wart. She showed love by smothering and keeping me away from anything that could hurt me, which was basically everything (in her world). My dad was the exact opposite. He showed love by providing and working crazy hours, but has always been very hands off. No hugs, no affection or warm worlds or games of catch. Very old school Italian. While I wish it was different, there are no hard feelings. I appreciate having grown up in a home where there was love, and we all get along well now.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Jesus. This is like group therapy.

Anyway, I didn't really know my mum. Not properly anyway. She got sick when I was 10 and died a few years later.

My dad, I get on with him now because I don't want to cut him off from his grandson, but I have no respect for him. He was a poor father and never took any interest in what I wanted to do or took any interest in how I was doing at school.

The only lesson my dad gave me was a lesson on how not to be a father.

lem0n

My mom is a total sweetheart. Would do anything for anyone, especially me. We have a strong bond as she raised me on her own. Lots of mutual trust and respect from an early age, I never really got in much trouble and she never really gave me a hard time. No screaming matches, hateful words or lying in our house. She unfortunately suffers from severe depression so her life has always been a roller coaster. I've seen her lowest lows and her highest highs. Her dogs help keep her grounded these days.

My dad is an interesting fella. Strong Irish mob ties in Boston, MA and spent years robbing banks and jacking armored trucks back in the 70s and 80s. Spent 15 years in prison 4 years after I was born, hence the single mom thing. To counter that though, he's one of the most level headed, solid dudes I know. Always positive, always willing to lend a hand to anyone. Regrets what he did only because it limited our time together. He's currently writing a book.

I love them both, and they love me. I was initially going to say, 'I wish things were different' but after thinking a moment, lots of tough life experiences kept me grounded and made me who I am today. For that, I am grateful.

NinjaBoiX

I have a very small family, even extended. Outside my dad, my brother and my step mum, I only really see one Aunty and uncle and their kids, but even that’s pretty rare. Making the effort to see them all this year though!

Mum - she died around 15 years ago, but we were estranged long before that. She was an alcoholic so my dad brought me and my brother up single handed throughout most of our life after the divorce. I honestly don’t really have any real memories of her, but she was apparently a good woman that just had this disease. I’m ok with that.

Dad - we didn’t always have a great relationship, he was always quite a cold and detached parent, tough love mentality that never manifested as anything worse than maybe a lack of emotional support that I don’t blame him for. But he’s brought me and my brother up with strong morals, and we’ve grown closer since. He’s a good man that I have a lot of love and respect for.

Stepmum - she’s been a mother figure to myself and my brother for the 20+ years she’s been in our lives, she’s a wonderful mother and a loving and supporting wife. An absolute diamond.

Brother - he’s my best friend, we’re incredibly close. Lived together for nearly 10 years since I moved to Manchester, he’s probably the most important person in my life.

I always regret that I was never really close to my grandparents, they both had incredibly tough lives that manifested in them never really coming across as cuddly, supportive grandparents. Truth be told, I was always very uncomfortable around them which sucks, so I never built a very strong bond with either of them.

My Aunty, Uncle and their kids are wonderful though, they really helped to bring us both up to help support my dad as a single parent. I love them dearly.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be who I am without my family. That applies to an extent to my extended family too.
My mom and dad are lovely people overall that I respect despite our differences sometimes.
My siblings are there for me in crucial moments of my life, shout out to them. My oldest sister got me into gaming a long time ago :]
My cousins helped shape me further into the gamer I'm into today. Series I love such as Sonic, Megaman X, Resident Evil, can be traced back to the times they played them and taught me how to play them myself. I retained that classic Japanese game taste, but they've moved on mostly to other genres as far as I know

Thank you to my family and extended family :]

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'm northern Irish, my dad was a typical old skool dad, no shows of effection but utterly dependable and would burn the earth down for you if he needed too but for my kids it's fucking hugs, kisses and I love youse all the time the cunt, my ma is the sort of person I can share WhatsApp jokes I get sent from my mates, she's as cool as they come and the absolute polar opposite of my dad

Mr Hyde

Very good relationships with my parents. My father passed away six months ago in cancer and that was very difficult for me to handle. My dad was a really good person. He was kind and generous to everyone, always level headed and patient. He taught me a lot of valuable life lessons growing up. My dad had a troubled childhood and a rough upbringing. He was a blue collar worker and didn't have a lot of money, but he was always there for me, 100% no matter what it was. He made damn sure we children wouldn't go through what he did as a child. I miss him so much.

My mom has always been there for me too. She has always supported me, my hobbies and kept pushing and encouraged my choices in life, even if some of them didn't pan out the way I wanted. She also helped me get through a severe depression I had 10 years ago when I suffered ptsd from an accident I was involved in. She helped me bounce back and see the light. I'm so grateful for my parents, they're fucking awesome.

My mom regularly 'threatens' my stepdad with the Archie Bunker line, "One of these days Joseph, POW, to the moon!"

My dad is the definition of overall nice guy that never got shit on for it. I don't think I've ever seen my father legitimately angry.

Water and oil with those two, no wonder they split before I was a year old.

En Sama

I have found that I have turned into my father which is weird. Cos I used to say what a knobhead he is but it turns out the auld bastard was right about most of everything.

Amory

I love my parents. They’ve set me and my sister up for success, and I like to think we’ve made them proud. 10 years ago I would’ve said they’re perfect supportive role models and blah

Now I’m 35, they’ve gotten older and I’ve gotten older and I know now that they’re flawed and I’m flawed and it’s all alright. Our relationship has changed but I still think the world of them

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My mom is a first gen immigrant. My father is an immigrant who joined the US Navy to have a life here.

They divorced when I was a freshman in high school. Kind of distant. We get along just fine I guess - it's certainly not the horror show I've heard of other people having with their parents.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Very lucky to have my parents. My father moved from India to the UK when he was about 7 years old, my mother when she was about 20. They're both very simple, humble and hard working people. My father is a factory worker to this day, my mother a cleaner. Even with such basic work they've managed to purchase two properties, support me and my sisters through education / early adulthood and accumulate wealth as they saved their entire lives through home cooking, no thrills and purchasing used clothing and goods. They have good traditional values.

Growing up, observing them I learned of the importance of basic things like cooking, saving, hard work, avoiding unncessary conflict and being good to people and the local community. I feel well intergrated in this country more so than some of my cousins I think. Very lucky in reflection seeing as the modern world is an attack on their way of life.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Father died in a car accident when I was 7 years old.

I find it kinda hard to judge my mother as I don’t speak with her at all any more even though she lives across the street. I guess she used to be good but I don’t think she did a good job raising me and my brother after dad died. I mean, she cooked and cleaned but I wouldn’t say she thought me anything valueable - and then later when my brother died she became unbearable to the point where I had to break off contact completely. Moving out was such a relieve that it took me more than 3 years to realize that I actually don’t like living alone that much. So you imagine the stress.… The mindfuckery and the constant financial crap because she could not hold onto a single Euro… Just thinking back sends chills down my spine. Years later when I got in touch with her again briefly I would visit her in her flat and, I shit you not, it was overflowing with utter crap she bought to the point you could hardly move in there... Really wish her the best but I do not want anything to do with her.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Very lucky to have my parents. My father moved from India to the UK when he was about 7 years old, my mother when she was about 20. They're both very simple, humble and hard working people. My father is a factory worker to this day, my mother a cleaner. Even with such basic work they've managed to purchase two properties, support me and my sisters through education / early adulthood and accumulate wealth as they saved their entire lives through home cooking, no thrills and purchasing used clothing and goods. They have good traditional values.

Growing up, observing them I learned of the importance of basic things like cooking, saving, hard work, avoiding unncessary conflict and being good to people and the local community. I feel well intergrated in this country more so than some of my cousins I think. Very lucky in reflection seeing as the modern world is an attack on their way of life.

Your parents sound a lot like my fiance's parents. They're both immigrants but run a business while the father is in the merchant marines. I get a kick out of how average Americans speak down to them like they're some kind of struggling foreigners. Meanwhile they're literally millionaires given their property holdings, and have a few hundred thousand in the bank.

Go_Ly_Dow

Your parents sound a lot like my fiance's parents. They're both immigrants but run a business while the father is in the merchant marines. I get a kick out of how average Americans speak down to them like they're some kind of struggling foreigners. Meanwhile they're literally millionaires given their property holdings, and have a few hundred thousand in the bank.
Sounds the same yeah, think my parents essentially have about £1mil in both assets and cash savings and a bit of inheritance and then their pensions coming their way, both state and private. This is whilse my mum cleans the offices of businesses where people earn way more than my parents do, but they have luxury goods like cars worth 20-30x the value of my dads £800 car and go on several holidays a year which destroys their disposable income.

Top Bottom