• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Theft Auto | GTA Community

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
This is your one stop shop for Grand Theft Auto news, nostalgia, memes, videos or anything else you wish to share. Mainline series and spin-off discssion are all welcome. Feel free to discuss GTA Online also, if you so wish.

2D Games

Grand Theft Auto/London, Grand Theft Auto 2, Grand Theft Auto: Advance, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.

6mf57tb0fr921.jpg
91JFX3MmFJL._SL1480_.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
61vPDfW1bOL._AC_SX522_.jpg

The original 2D top-down games. Very different from the GTA you see today, but very influential and fun for it's time. You also have GTA Advance and Chinatown Wars for Nintendo and Portable.

3D Era

Grand Theft Auto: III, Vice City and San Andreas

Bbst3agIcAA7vH8.jpg

Perhaps the most famous and popular GTA games. I imagine a lot of users grew up with these games. Incredibly influential games that made the open-world genre hugely popular and spawned many similar clones such as The Getaway and Saints Row.

3D Spin-offs

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty and Vice City Stories.

actual_1363900508.jpg

A little more less known, but great games in their own right. Especially Vice City Stories. They were basically expansions, but very worthy ones. Great picks if you ever had a PSP console.

HD Era

Grand Theft Auto IV and Grand Theft Auto V

r4kcayL_350x200_1x-0.jpg
mobile-cover.jpg

Of course these will be the most familiar to most GAF members. I would say they are both excellent games, but GTA Online could have been handled better. V could have benefitted from some quality expansions like IV received. No extra story content was unfortunate.

I hope the OT is good enough for such a great series. Happy discussing! If you are interested in the series at all, give the thread a Watch and share some thoughts. I would love to read it.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Good OT.

I've sunk quite a bit of time in GTA:O myself. I'm taking an indefinite break after getting into a yelling match with a kid over a race.
Thank you. I'm glad to see that people have found this thread, I had sort of gave up on it after a few days.

gta GIF

I still play GTA:O from time to time as well. Not as much lately, but been solidly since Launch and I still enjoy dipping my feet back in to it. I enjoy doing Races mostly, stopped trying to treat it as a money grind.

I still have Vice City and San Andreas installed on my PS4. I often boot up Vice City just to drive around and listen to some 80's tunes.

Tuff McNutt

I have GTA III, VC, and SA on my PS4 and the games on my tablet, along with Chinatown Wars and Liberty City Stories. I wish they would release Vice City Stories on either PS4 or mobile. It's one of the best in the series. I can get it to play on my modded PS1 Classic but the sound is choppy.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I have GTA III, VC, and SA on my PS4 and the games on my tablet, along with Chinatown Wars and Liberty City Stories. I wish they would release Vice City Stories on either PS4 or mobile. It's one of the best in the series. I can get it to play on my modded PS1 Classic but the sound is choppy.
For sure. There was a rumour a while back that it was coming to PS2 on PS4 section, but nothing came of it. I loved Vice City Stories, it was more vibrant and had empires you could obtain. I was bummed out. I wish we could get more Rockstar classics on the store. Midnight Club would be great, too.

TexMex

Great OT.
My GTA love affair has been up and down over the years. But man - I probably put more time into the PSOne original than any. Knew almost nothing about it when I picked it up but was obsessed. Had never played anything like it.

When 3 came out, it was one of the coolest moments for me. I couldn’t believe how well they realized the original in a huge 3D space.

I kind of fell off after 3. Enjoyed Vice City well enough but after that was pretty done (though I’ve at least played them all). They became a little too bloated for their own good for me.

Hudo

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
So, what do you guys think about those rumours swirling around about a GTA Trilogy remaster?

Rockstar if you're listening:

Reaction Gif GIF by Brett Eldredge

It seems too good to be true. That would like be a dream come true for me.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
It would be cool, especially if they updated the controls in III, but I think it will probably just be an upscaled version of the PS2 games.
Damn, I hope they would do a bit more than that. They basically already have upscaled versions on the PS4 store, I own those. I wouldn't expect them to radically change the games or anything, but would love to see some proper effort and care go in to it.

Cutty Flam

Banned
GTA V had a good story and was a great game, but I think Rockstar has more in them. Trevor was the highlight of the game, along with the heists. I loved how each one was a full on operation. They weren't just street smart criminals like the McRearies in GTA IV, they were professionals. Mike was a mastermind. Every single heist was crazy. The type that would probably leave a buzz for days after while laying low. You could feel it as the player and that was something special. Cannot wit to see what GTA VI is going to be like when the bar has been set so high with GTA V's missions. All they need to do now, is create better characters and put together better radio stations. GTA V's radio stations were okay. Nothing compared to Vice City and San Andreas

I hope there's an option to add our own radio stations like PC players had, that would be incredible

Soodanim

People have ported Vice City Stories to San Andreas, so you can play it using the San Andreas iteration of Rockstar's engine! (PC obviously):

https://www.moddb.com/mods/vice-city-stories-pc-edition

There's also a similar project/mod that ports Liberty City Stories to the Vice City itertation of Rockstar's engine (you need Vice City to play it) but I haven't tried it out:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/gta-re-liberty-city-stories-pc
Cheers for this, I actually came to say that I want to play the Stories games again but after the fixed PC versions (not the recent reverse engineered ones, just patched copies) the PS2 ports might feel a bit horrible.
It would be cool, especially if they updated the controls in III, but I think it will probably just be an upscaled version of the PS2 games.
That's be nice, and might be possible on PC now. At the very least I know you can give cars proper right analog camera movement instead of the L2/R2 looks with a mod.

Hudo

But now having thought about those recent rumors regarding remasters of GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas, I do hope that they'll use that chance to actually port Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories over. But then again, 5 games in one collection might be too generous for R*...

But it's a shame that the Stories-games are kinda "trapped" on the PS2 and PSP.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
But now having thought about those recent rumors regarding remasters of GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas, I do hope that they'll use that chance to actually port Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories over. But then again, 5 games in one collection might be too generous for R*...

But it's a shame that the Stories-games are kinda "trapped" on the PS2 and PSP.
Dude, being a GTA fan during that era was pure heaven.

Now all we get is GTA V vomit for over a decade.. "lollipop_disappointed:

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, being a GTA fan during that era was pure heaven.

Now all we get is GTA V vomit for over a decade.. "lollipop_disappointed:
I do like GTA V, but I can only stomach Online for so long. It just gets dull fast. I basically only race these days.

It's a shame we never got an expansion like Episodes from Liberty City in IV. Rockstar was pumping out quality content back then.

I really hope this GTA Trilogy is true as I'd probably play that for months. I love the old games.

Another funny thing to do would be city based collections at a discount price

San Andreas collection: San Andreas, Gta V
Liberty City collection: LC stories, Gta 4
Vice City Collection: VC Stories, Vice City
With gta 1-2 as a free download ( gta 1 had Liberty, Vice and SA
not a good idea I know, but funny haha

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Another funny thing to do would be city based collections at a discount price

San Andreas collection: San Andreas, Gta V
Liberty City collection: LC stories, Gta 4
Vice City Collection: VC Stories, Vice City
With gta 1-2 as a free download ( gta 1 had Liberty, Vice and SA
not a good idea I know, but funny haha
That's actually an interesting idea, depending on how they priced the individual collections. Out of those, I would likely buy the Vice City collection first.

I'm still doubtful these remasters are real, I'll be honest. It seems like a lot of work to bring those old games up to the standards of today, as much as I wish it was true. I would believe one of the games getting a remaster treatment, but all of them seems like a stretch.

clem84

Gold Member
I keep seeing these streamers on Facebook playing these mini games over the city in GTAV. Some of those challenges involve driving a car across some kind of obstacle course high over the city. Other games involve walking through a long path and not falling down while being shot at. What are these from? Is this some kind of DLC for GTAV on PS4 and XB1?

Star-Lord

I keep seeing these streamers on Facebook playing these mini games over the city in GTAV. Some of those challenges involve driving a car across some kind of obstacle course high over the city. Other games involve walking through a long path and not falling down while being shot at. What are these from? Is this some kind of DLC for GTAV on PS4 and XB1?
I watch these too. These are missions created in the Onlinr content creator, and some are mods on PC.

Marvel14

Banned
Just had a great Sumo session in GTA Online lost and won in close 4-3 matches despite being outnumbered each time. Left for freeplay and 4 of the people I was playing with followed me.

Next thing I know these 4 dudes are ganging up on me on hover bike, fighter jet, sniper and motorbike, trying to kill me ( and succeding) repeatedly.

I managed to pick off a couple with proximity mines, sniper and assault rifle.

One dude managed to kill himself with his own hoverboard missiles one time which was hilarious. And I managed to evade fighter jet strafing so dude switched to tank.

Finally got tired so went into passive mode. Dude in tank messages me to call me a pussy ( completely oblivious that 4 vs 1, tank vs pedestrian is hardly a brave look). Then in final act of frustration that I'm out of the fight, the posse kicks me off the session. (Saving me the effort of doing it myself).

All in all highly satisfying to have burned sore losers so effectively...

Fun times!

Last edited:
I've been replaying Vice City to get ready for the trilogy coming out. Pretty excited, just hope the enhancements are actually noticable. Hearing that it has GTA 5 driving potentially is promising though as the old games are showing their age with vehicles.

Top Bottom