• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Musicians Community

What is your musical talent? (select 2 or more)

• Stringman: I play violin, guitar, bass, mandolin, ukulele, etc

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Keys: I play piano, synthesizers, organ, electric piano, etc

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Woodwind: I fancy myself a flautist, sax player, clarinet, etc

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Brass: I'm noisy and play trumpet, french horn, tuba, trombone, etc

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Percussion: I like to hit things...drums, toms, congas, tambourine, etc

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Voice: I like to sing professionally, in my car, in the shower, in karaoke, in chorus, etc

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Programmer: I have a knack for producing, engineering music, I'm good with MIDI, etc

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Collector: I don't play anything but I listen to and collect a ton of music

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Songwriter: I don't always play but I can write lyrics, poetry, etc

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
GAF Musicians Community

I've noticed that many members on NeoGaf have various talents or skills that span beyond gaming. I thought to myself...maybe we need a place for those musicians to freely share their music (freely also means no charging money for music). We're going to get this started with a poll. What kind of musical talent are you? Everyone should select at least one but you have options up to 4 poll choices. If you're a multi-musician...share with us your gift.

There are many threads already for those who just want to share the music you like in a YouTube video link; however, let's try to keep this to your original music. If you have videos of yourself jamming, practicing, or studio recordings...by all means, share them! Tell us what got you started into music and what musical genre (s) you prefer to play. Were you a band geek in high school or college? If you're not a musician...what's a musical instrument you want to learn? Not certain about what instrument brands, types, and such you should buy/rent? Ask us here (just no advertisements...only references). Do you like to play original songs or covers? What instruments do you own (even if you don't play them)...share pics if you like?

Keep it simple and within NeoGAF guidelines and I'd say we have the making for a great thread here!

About me: I'm a multi-musician and I started playing brass at like age 9. At age 10, I switched to percussion and played until I was 11 before switching to guitar. I had piano lessons at age 6 but never learned anything back then beyond middle-C; I came back to piano when I was 15-years old and it's one of my main instruments. I started playing flutes (concert, shakuhachi, hulusi, ocarina, Irish, pan, etc) when I was in college in my later-teens. I started playing electric bass and double-bass when I was 21. I also play: mandolin, marimba, drums, percussion, auto-harp, saxophone, melodica, harmonica, organ (I've got a vintage Hammond), dulcimer, dobro, steel guitar, and timpani. I suck at writing lyrics and have an extreme shyness of singing. I love gaming soundtracks, anime soundtracks, instrumentals, and play music written before my time mostly. Here are a few tracks I've written or played multiple instruments on (free to listen to):

Electronic music (written mostly on MIDI...I love using obscure time signatures and loops)

Peruvian sounding music (flutes, classic guitar)

Jazz (The other musicians didn't show and I ended up playing all instruments)

Folk cover (this is not my song and is the most you'll hear of me singing)

Funk-fusion

Electronic soundtrack

Anime cover (Harlock Saga ending)

Great thread idea!

I'm a professional musician based out of Toronto, Canada. I started playing drums when I was 9, started to take it seriously around 15 and pursued music as a career. Went to one of those expensive music schools before dropping out because I was pretty much gigging and teaching full time. I gigged in original and cover acts across Canada and the USA before doing the hotel circuit in Asia for about a year and a half. Started working cruise ships after that before coming back home for the past few years. I was about to go back on ships but then corona hit.

I also play guitar, bass, keys/piano and sing. Did trumpet and flute in high school but haven't played either in years. I started messing around with music production at the start of the new year and quarantine turned out to be very productive for me to learn a new skill. I've been recording covers by myself and mixing them, and am also taking an online mixing course which I'm learning a lot from. Just another nice skill to have in my bag of tricks I suppose. I'm going to record an album once I feel my production skills have improved to the point of my mixes sounding radio ready.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Great thread idea!

I'm a professional musician based out of Toronto, Canada. I started playing drums when I was 9, started to take it seriously around 15 and pursued music as a career. Went to one of those expensive music schools before dropping out because I was pretty much gigging and teaching full time. I gigged in original and cover acts across Canada and the USA before doing the hotel circuit in Asia for about a year and a half. Started working cruise ships after that before coming back home for the past few years. I was about to go back on ships but then corona hit.

I also play guitar, bass, keys/piano and sing. Did trumpet and flute in high school but haven't played either in years. I started messing around with music production at the start of the new year and quarantine turned out to be very productive for me to learn a new skill. I've been recording covers by myself and mixing them, and am also taking an online mixing course which I'm learning a lot from. Just another nice skill to have in my bag of tricks I suppose. I'm going to record an album once I feel my production skills have improved to the point of my mixes sounding radio ready.
Percussion is something I admire but am not the greatest in. Sorry to hear the guys were shut down due to the virus. Sounds like you're multi-musical, too. Which instrument comes second in line when you're not playing percussion? Ever listen to Bill Bruford, Carl Palmer, or Simon Phillips? If I were interning as a percussion major...I'd follow their work. Good luck with production! It's tougher than it looks but it can be fun in the studio.

Percussion is something I admire but am not the greatest in. Sorry to hear the guys were shut down due to the virus. Sounds like you're multi-musical, too. Which instrument comes second in line when you're not playing percussion? Ever listen to Bill Bruford, Carl Palmer, or Simon Phillips? If I were interning as a percussion major...I'd follow their work. Good luck with production! It's tougher than it looks but it can be fun in the studio.

I'd say I'm pretty equal skill wise when it comes to piano/guitar. Able to play those pretty slkid but nothing flashy, I don't have serious chops on either but I do practice the odd thing here and there to keep progressing at a snails pace. I was actually going to go back on ships as the pub guitarist, just solo acoustic sets each night. I got into singing by learning how to sing harmonies, then over time singers started saying "you should sing a song", then that evolved into "sing a few songs so I can take a smoke break". Eventually I started to play solo acoustic gigs on the side because the money is better and I don't have to lug a kit around.

And yeah, I've listened to those guys. I've never been too big into prog stuff aside from guys like Danny Carey from Tool and Jon Theodore from the Mars Volta but I recognize the talent and have learned some of their licks here and there. Bruford has a lot of cool paradiddle groove/fill sticking ideas which I occasionally will shamelessly steal :p

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
As a musician it pisses me off when soundtrack artists and even those who write jingles for commercials don't put effort into it. Around about 2010 this new hipster-style music started to become trendy. You know what I'm talking about? It's literally in every T.V. commercial / advert you hear.

Commercial music was a bit flaky in the 70's and 80's but someone had to write and compose that type of music. So, this is what we're hearing in everything today. For the record this cheap hipster whistling, clapping, ukulele crap is being used in everything (including TV shows and movies). Here's the nauseating sample:

After 10-second of that, you need to ask yourself questions as a musician or music fan. Who writes this crap? Why is it all the same? Why is this now a new form of pop music (if the whole synth-autotune-pop of the 2010's wasn't bad enough)? I might have an answer but I'm not going to dis this guy too much.

Sir Paul McCartney. Yeah, he wrote a song demonstrating how-not to play a mandolin (playing it ukulele style) that quickly picked up and got a lot of airplay. I remember hearing this song quite frequently from Starbucks stock music when I lived in the States. Paul McCartney is a great multi-musician and song writer. He's written some amazing songs and is one of maybe 7 English musicians to have mastered the "sale formula" for song writing. Having such a big influence leads me to believe that the below song he wrote had somewhat of an influence on this new retard-pop music (the whole whistling, clapping, uke crap) that we're hearing on everything. I don't think McCartney intended to make this a thing but it became commercial overnight and since the 2010's you literally hear this crap in everything. It's worse when a guy or girl is trying to sing to it. The singing is usually flat, nasally, monotone whisper-singing.

Thoughts? Opinions musicians?

As a musician it pisses me off when soundtrack artists and even those who write jingles for commercials don't put effort into it. Around about 2010 this new hipster-style music started to become trendy. You know what I'm talking about? It's literally in every T.V. commercial / advert you hear.

Commercial music was a bit flaky in the 70's and 80's but someone had to write and compose that type of music. So, this is what we're hearing in everything today. For the record this cheap hipster whistling, clapping, ukulele crap is being used in everything (including TV shows and movies). Here's the nauseating sample:

After 10-second of that, you need to ask yourself questions as a musician or music fan. Who writes this crap? Why is it all the same? Why is this now a new form of pop music (if the whole synth-autotune-pop of the 2010's wasn't bad enough)? I might have an answer but I'm not going to dis this guy too much.

Sir Paul McCartney. Yeah, he wrote a song demonstrating how-not to play a mandolin (playing it ukulele style) that quickly picked up and got a lot of airplay. I remember hearing this song quite frequently from Starbucks stock music when I lived in the States. Paul McCartney is a great multi-musician and song writer. He's written some amazing songs and is one of maybe 7 English musicians to have mastered the "sale formula" for song writing. Having such a big influence leads me to believe that the below song he wrote had somewhat of an influence on this new retard-pop music (the whole whistling, clapping, uke crap) that we're hearing on everything. I don't think McCartney intended to make this a thing but it became commercial overnight and since the 2010's you literally hear this crap in everything. It's worse when a guy or girl is trying to sing to it. The singing is usually flat, nasally, monotone whisper-singing.

Thoughts? Opinions musicians?

It's super annoying hearing it for every commercial. It is peak laziness and takes zero effort to write. I think if you get good at writing jingles, people are going to take notice since they get stuck in your head and then advertising people are going to start asking "hey who wrote that jingle for X?" You can seriously grow your bank account too if you write a jingle that sticks around for a decade or so because you just get royalties everytime it airs. Meanwhile if you just whistle and clap it gets lost in the background and no one cares.

Interestingly enough I feel the same thing could be said about music in games over the past 2 decades. It's become more and more forgettable because composers are writing stuff as background music and not something central to the games.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It's super annoying hearing it for every commercial. It is peak laziness and takes zero effort to write. I think if you get good at writing jingles, people are going to take notice since they get stuck in your head and then advertising people are going to start asking "hey who wrote that jingle for X?" You can seriously grow your bank account too if you write a jingle that sticks around for a decade or so because you just get royalties everytime it airs. Meanwhile if you just whistle and clap it gets lost in the background and no one cares.

Interestingly enough I feel the same thing could be said about music in games over the past 2 decades. It's become more and more forgettable because composers are writing stuff as background music and not something central to the games.
Soundtracks have been dwindling into nothing, too. Film scores that were written by something more than a few piano arpeggios mixed with MIDI simply don't exist now. MOVIES ALSO USE THE WHISTLE CLAP CRAP! Not to mention degenerate music like dub-step winding its way into soundtracks, advertising, and other visual media.

Were my speculations that Paul McCartney's "Dance Tonight" may have had something to do with this whistling wiener music that seems to have vomited itself on every form of video media in the past decade?

I'd love it if they went back to writing jingles because it made commercial advertisement seem like it was still part of creative film work.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I am producing EDM, mainly trance, I am not that good even after like a million years of doing it, so I am mainly co-producing music and also helping writing lyrics and shit. I also trying to play piano better then I do now, however it's tough.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I am producing EDM, mainly trance, I am not that good even after like a million years of doing it, so I am mainly co-producing music and also helping writing lyrics and shit. I also trying to play piano better then I do now, however it's tough.
Feel free to share the music, software or hardware you use, etc. What got you into playing? Did you start with keys?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Feel free to share the music, software or hardware you use, etc. What got you into playing? Did you start with keys?
I only play on keys having M-Audio Axiom 49 Pro, which is nice keyboard, I guess. Then my daw of choise is Ableton, however I am experimenting with connection of Propellerhead Reason to Ableton live. I mainly work with Roxanne Emery and sometimes with her brother. So my music where I controbuted are listed here:

(Main lead, lyrics /with Roxanne E./ and delivering vocalist)

(My life story and lyrics and the piano intro)

(Lyrics with Christinna Novelli and Roxanne Emery)

(Lyrics with Christinna N.)

(Main Lead idea, which was then edited further by Gareth Emery)

Well these are the notable ones.

Have some more in the pipeline and sadly I have to sit on my ass and cannot fly to UK, to do it personally.

Also my absolute favorite vst synth is Reveal Sound Spire and best vst for learning how it works is Synapse Audio Dune 1 and Dune 3 is best for doing basslines.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I only play on keys having M-Audio Axiom 49 Pro, which is nice keyboard, I guess. Then my daw of choise is Ableton, however I am experimenting with connection of Propellerhead Reason to Ableton live. I mainly work with Roxanne Emery and sometimes with her brother. So my music where I controbuted are listed here:

(Main lead, lyrics /with Roxanne E./ and delivering vocalist)

(My life story and lyrics and the piano intro)

(Lyrics with Christinna Novelli and Roxanne Emery)

(Lyrics with Christinna N.)

(Main Lead idea, which was then edited further by Gareth Emery)

Well these are the notable ones.

Have some more in the pipeline and sadly I have to sit on my ass and cannot fly to UK, to do it personally.

Also my absolute favorite vst synth is Reveal Sound Spire and best vst for learning how it works is Synapse Audio Dune 1 and Dune 3 is best for doing basslines.

You have a great talent and the work sounds professional enough to where you could probably market it toward growing businesses.

Alright Musician-GAF I humbly ask you for assistance in improving my mixes. I've only been at this for a few months but I feel like I'm hitting a wall and need some good ears to help me progress. Here's a few mixes I've done using free multitracks on the Cambridge site

Jpop? Song

Indie rock song

Don't hesitate to tell me what's wrong with these mixes, you don't get better in this industry without harsh criticism. I need some ears with a lot of experience to help me out here!

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Alright Musician-GAF I humbly ask you for assistance in improving my mixes. I've only been at this for a few months but I feel like I'm hitting a wall and need some good ears to help me progress. Here's a few mixes I've done using free multitracks on the Cambridge site

Jpop? Song

Indie rock song

Don't hesitate to tell me what's wrong with these mixes, you don't get better in this industry without harsh criticism. I need some ears with a lot of experience to help me out here!
I've a bit more time tomorrow morning to check the tracks. You may also share pictures of the WAV editor and software screens so I can check the details. A quick tip, don't believe modern studio recorders who recommend 33.1 kilohertz to master tracks. Stick with 44-48 kHz / 24-bit for masters.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Jpop? Song

Indie rock song

From just a listen I can say that the tracks are recorded generally at medium-medium high quality for demos. I'm not a producer and won't pretend to be. However, I had to work with a 65-year old friend of mine for many years who is a producer and musical engineer. Rather than criticize the work (the work itself is very clean-cut sounding and is far above most audio people share to me on SoundCloud).

If the mixes are not yet complete but you need help; I'll need a screenshot of one of the RAW files with all of the inputs. I also need to ask the following:

Are you using a DAC for the master?
Are you trying for lossless for the master?
Are you mixing 44.1 kHz for 16-bit or 24-bit?
Before mixing are you making sure you have the purest DAC first?
Which instruments, samples, etc do you want driving the track? Low-end bass / rhythmic sections? High-end treble tones or voices?

As long as you haven't published the tracks and you still have the RAW source arrangement files, you can still return and do this. You need to organize in writing either by chart or otherwise how you want the final mix to sound. Listen to the different tracks in the multi-track mix and pick which ones you want enhanced. Don't master to 16 or 24-bit / 44.1 kHz until you have this sorted out or it may result in a poorer quality FLAC or WAV. I cannot stress enough...DO NOT COMPRESS YOUR SOURCE FILES BEFORE OR AFTER THE MASTER! Compression may be nice if you're trying to save memory on your hard drive but it destroys music and it's the reason why generally great instrumental music will go completely unnoticed by any audience. MP3's, AiC, and other compressed file-types are a big NO in professional recording. Don't even offer to sell people the music in MP3 format unless you have a higher-quality WAV to offer to the customer and the H.Q. MP3 is only being used to promote tracks.

Not much criticism but I would recommend that you bring up the rhythmic section on the tracks and be very selective about percussive pieces complimenting bass synthesizers or bass guitars. This helps by cutting down on the typical snare - hi-hat - bass kick percussion. The catchiest rhythmic sections are ones which few artists are utilizing now. They focus on soft gated reverb and focus the percussion to the toms only with softer bass kick. Try to substitute cymbals with claps, reversed cymbals, or tambourine. Let the bass tracks ride synchronized with each beat of the toms and bass. Having that basic fundamental down, you can start adding back the vocal tracks, instrumental, and effects if you're going to use them. Try using only light reverb on vocals and focus more on getting the stereo mix corrected on vocals and instruments. Slight echo is okay for vocals when as long as it's not used during non-instrumental sections. Also try to reduce call-response vocals or choral repetitions. To surprise the listener (if you're going to use repeat chants to verses or choral lines), add quick-fades to those repetitions and try use them only a couple times per track.

I'm a big supporter of how Steve Lillywhite produced albums in the late-70's and early-80's. He knew that if the music was going to sell to focus on the rhythmic sessions. In the case with the Scottish-English band Big Country, he put 46 mics on the drum kit alone during the 1983 Crossing recording sessions. Many guitarists will start creating tracks percussion first and put their signature instrument on last.

Here's an example of a track with "fat" percussion, bass, and poor mixing. This producer recorded these tracks in 1982 for Big Country's debut album and was fired before completing. The percussion writing was nice and the bass was flowing. However, that doesn't change the fact that this is not commercial quality and this was supposed to be a master...not a demo. So, Steve Lillywhite got hired to re-record everything in 1983 and this is why he did to help this same song. They had to demo about 10 versions before finding the right master. This often happened with the young Lillywhite getting up to move things around on the drum kit and remix the bass several times. The guitars and vocals were added last.

The percussion and bass are much smoother and mixed not to overpower the other instruments but to add a complete and noticeably better rhythmic section.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the detailed response! I'll try to answer to the best of my ability, some of the stuff I'm not sure of so I had to google it :p

Are you using a DAC for the master? No, I'm mixing entirely in the box right now.
Are you trying for lossless for the master? Had to google what this was so I'm going to lean towards no. My knowledge of mastering is extremely limited currently, I really only aim for loudness and try to add more dynamic to the track. I often don't use a compressor on the mastering chain unless it helps the mix noticeably.
Are you mixing 44.1 kHz for 16-bit or 24-bit? 44.1 kHz at 24 bit. Although I am doing a track right now on 16 bit. It all depends on whatever files/audio I get for the session.
Before mixing are you making sure you have the purest DAC first? Not sure on this one, as stated above, I only use whatever files I get. I use Cambridge Multitrack Library to find this stuff to practice on so I have no idea how these songs are recorded/produced etc...
Which instruments, samples, etc do you want driving the track? Low-end bass / rhythmic sections? High-end treble tones or voices? Generally the mixes are what I want them to sound like in terms of what will drive the track (example, Japan Song I wanted the bass/drums to be back a bit, the guitars to be way forward and the vocal to fit in the middle). I'm good at getting the overall shape of everything, it's just the finer details I have to learn now to create more space/contrast and make my mixes sound fuller.

Not much criticism but I would recommend that you bring up the rhythmic section on the tracks and be very selective about percussive pieces complimenting bass synthesizers or bass guitars. This helps by cutting down on the typical snare - hi-hat - bass kick percussion. The catchiest rhythmic sections are ones which few artists are utilizing now. They focus on soft gated reverb and focus the percussion to the toms only with softer bass kick. Try to substitute cymbals with claps, reversed cymbals, or tambourine. Let the bass tracks ride synchronized with each beat of the toms and bass.

I only use what is provided in the sessions but I think I should try to get a sample library or some triggers and mess around with them in the mixes. I am a drummer mainly by trade so I always lean towards a full drum sound (it just makes the track pump more IMO) but I have mixed some pop/EDM stuff before where I had to use more non-traditional percussion elements to create the beat for the song. It would probably be a good idea to try more tracks like that as I find it a lot harder to get the beat really breathing/pumping when using claps/snaps/shakers etc... as opposed to the regular drums/cymbals approach.

Try using only light reverb on vocals and focus more on getting the stereo mix corrected on vocals and instruments. Slight echo is okay for vocals when as long as it's not used during non-instrumental sections. Also try to reduce call-response vocals or choral repetitions. To surprise the listener (if you're going to use repeat chants to verses or choral lines), add quick-fades to those repetitions and try use them only a couple times per track.

This is another area I'm pretty bad at but sort of by choice at this point. I really want to get comfortable with EQ/Compression before I start going hard with the FX and whatnot. The good news is I feel like my mixes are starting to sound pretty sharp by the time I am done the EQ/Compression stage so now is the time to start learning how to use Reverb/Delay/Other FX to add some texture to my mixes. I am taking a course with Michael White (best known for Whitney Houston) and it's helped me out tremendously. It's the bootcamp program which he just started this year. I signed up a couple weeks late so I'm a bit behind the actual course but in a few weeks I'm starting the 3rd quarter which focuses a lot of FX processing, so that should get me headed in the right direction. Japan Song was the first time I ever tried to do delay throws, they sounded a bit sloppy and I wasn't going to pull my hair out trying to get it perfect, but it was a good concept for me to try out.

And if you're interested in what I use in terms of DAW/plugins etc... I am using Cubase 10 (I was on 10.5 but it seems buggy as hell so I went back down for the time being). I mainly use Slate Digital plugins for the majority of my mixes with some Waves plugins and stock plugins as well just to create more tonal differences between different elements. I'm also mixing on Sennheiser 600s and my room isn't acoustically treated, which is why I have a lot of problems with the low end sounding nice (also combined with inexperience on my part). I use the Abbey Road Studio plugin from Waves as it really helps when I'm mixing so it doesn't sound flat, but I really wish I lived in a place where I could use proper monitors. Oh, and I should mention I've been mixing in mono for the past couple months for about 80% of the mix. I find it really helps me get all the elements in the mix carved out since you can't just pan stuff hard left or right and forget about it. It really makes you aware of if certain things are masking other parts of the track.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Wow thanks for the detailed response! I'll try to answer to the best of my ability, some of the stuff I'm not sure of so I had to google it :p

Are you using a DAC for the master? No, I'm mixing entirely in the box right now.
Are you trying for lossless for the master? Had to google what this was so I'm going to lean towards no. My knowledge of mastering is extremely limited currently, I really only aim for loudness and try to add more dynamic to the track. I often don't use a compressor on the mastering chain unless it helps the mix noticeably.
Are you mixing 44.1 kHz for 16-bit or 24-bit? 44.1 kHz at 24 bit. Although I am doing a track right now on 16 bit. It all depends on whatever files/audio I get for the session.
Before mixing are you making sure you have the purest DAC first? Not sure on this one, as stated above, I only use whatever files I get. I use Cambridge Multitrack Library to find this stuff to practice on so I have no idea how these songs are recorded/produced etc...
Which instruments, samples, etc do you want driving the track? Low-end bass / rhythmic sections? High-end treble tones or voices? Generally the mixes are what I want them to sound like in terms of what will drive the track (example, Japan Song I wanted the bass/drums to be back a bit, the guitars to be way forward and the vocal to fit in the middle). I'm good at getting the overall shape of everything, it's just the finer details I have to learn now to create more space/contrast and make my mixes sound fuller.

Not much criticism but I would recommend that you bring up the rhythmic section on the tracks and be very selective about percussive pieces complimenting bass synthesizers or bass guitars. This helps by cutting down on the typical snare - hi-hat - bass kick percussion. The catchiest rhythmic sections are ones which few artists are utilizing now. They focus on soft gated reverb and focus the percussion to the toms only with softer bass kick. Try to substitute cymbals with claps, reversed cymbals, or tambourine. Let the bass tracks ride synchronized with each beat of the toms and bass.

I only use what is provided in the sessions but I think I should try to get a sample library or some triggers and mess around with them in the mixes. I am a drummer mainly by trade so I always lean towards a full drum sound (it just makes the track pump more IMO) but I have mixed some pop/EDM stuff before where I had to use more non-traditional percussion elements to create the beat for the song. It would probably be a good idea to try more tracks like that as I find it a lot harder to get the beat really breathing/pumping when using claps/snaps/shakers etc... as opposed to the regular drums/cymbals approach.

Try using only light reverb on vocals and focus more on getting the stereo mix corrected on vocals and instruments. Slight echo is okay for vocals when as long as it's not used during non-instrumental sections. Also try to reduce call-response vocals or choral repetitions. To surprise the listener (if you're going to use repeat chants to verses or choral lines), add quick-fades to those repetitions and try use them only a couple times per track.

This is another area I'm pretty bad at but sort of by choice at this point. I really want to get comfortable with EQ/Compression before I start going hard with the FX and whatnot. The good news is I feel like my mixes are starting to sound pretty sharp by the time I am done the EQ/Compression stage so now is the time to start learning how to use Reverb/Delay/Other FX to add some texture to my mixes. I am taking a course with Michael White (best known for Whitney Houston) and it's helped me out tremendously. It's the bootcamp program which he just started this year. I signed up a couple weeks late so I'm a bit behind the actual course but in a few weeks I'm starting the 3rd quarter which focuses a lot of FX processing, so that should get me headed in the right direction. Japan Song was the first time I ever tried to do delay throws, they sounded a bit sloppy and I wasn't going to pull my hair out trying to get it perfect, but it was a good concept for me to try out.

And if you're interested in what I use in terms of DAW/plugins etc... I am using Cubase 10 (I was on 10.5 but it seems buggy as hell so I went back down for the time being). I mainly use Slate Digital plugins for the majority of my mixes with some Waves plugins and stock plugins as well just to create more tonal differences between different elements. I'm also mixing on Sennheiser 600s and my room isn't acoustically treated, which is why I have a lot of problems with the low end sounding nice (also combined with inexperience on my part). I use the Abbey Road Studio plugin from Waves as it really helps when I'm mixing so it doesn't sound flat, but I really wish I lived in a place where I could use proper monitors. Oh, and I should mention I've been mixing in mono for the past couple months for about 80% of the mix. I find it really helps me get all the elements in the mix carved out since you can't just pan stuff hard left or right and forget about it. It really makes you aware of if certain things are masking other parts of the track.
It really depends on your preference for the music. The catchy part of music is actually not becoming part of the "loudness wars." I know people want WAVs being converted to higher out-put MP3 but it's not what the buyers or studios are after. To get studio attention, they want to hear the rhythmic section done well. Once a song is published, it's difficult if not sometimes impossible to fix any mistakes at that time. That's why, you have to work with the RAW files strenuously until you hear them exactly how they need to be. If you're recording long hours, take breaks from the monitors and mixers. Just 10-minutes outside away from your console will refresh the mind so that you're able to go back and listen to things again to see if there's anything more you can do to fix it. If you ever get to masters, try to save in Lossless (FLAC). The FLAC is what big shots will want or if someone wants to remix your material (obviously paying your royalities); they'll need the final arrangement files and a FLAC to hear the pure audio. This is sorta cheating (I did it too)...you can record many things in mono and sneak stereo by-pass filters onto those sequences to simulate stereo. The only catch is that real professional producers will hear the difference.

Share the progress as things move along! Sounds got so far!

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I was just thinking the other day based on reading music posts from GAF members and what people living in the 2010's/20's play the most when I'm going about work or in public:

- A vast majority of GAF members seems to have an attachment to 90's-early 2000's alternative rock and hybrid rock music such as: Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park, etc.

- A larger group seems to still thing heavy metal from either the 80's-present actually sounds good. No offense, but I always placed death/scream/gore metal into the same category as country, rap, and polka.

- The majority around me are confirmists and will listen to any popular...pop/rock from any given decade and can literally be categorized either by a cheap soundtrack they heard or by an individual song. I nearly killed my co-workers for attempting to triple play "Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix" a few weeks ago. It's nothing but the trashiest, wimp rock, and cliched "hits" of the 70's and reflects more how some loser in Disney pictured they could try to bring culture to their audience. What a horrible selection of singers...I'm surprised they didn't cliche it further and put "Tiny Dancer," "The Smoker," and "Sweet Home Alabama" in there; it would have gone Diamond with those trash karaoke hits. With the conformists there's also an obsession with "Take on Me" by A-Ha. I'll give them this..."The Sun Always Shines on T.V." is okay for 2 listens before getting old but Take on Me is a type of repetition I hear everywhere that even molded one of the new "hits" (to which I have no idea the name of this obnoxious song...I've only seen the music video which is of some idiot wearing a red jacket with fake bandages on his face).

- The last category is one that I have the pleasure of not meeting many people locally here in Mexico that are obsessed with. This was more an annoyance I heard daily at coffee shops and colleges back in Illinoiis. This is the indie/folk/pop fan group or basically "coffee shop music." The singers often sing about left-wing political jargon, play ukelele's, acoustic guitars, and will obnoxiously whistle or just repeat "oh-oh-oh's." They also all tend to sing in either a monotone, with a scratchy voice, or something nasally.

If your music genre isn't there...congratulations! You're a minority music listener. You're not following the masses and are likely a musician yourself!

Just made this post for the fun of it and I don't condemn anyone who listens to those genres.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Can someone recommend a resource (I'd prefer anything except an app, if possible) to practice my scales, do drills for scales, etc on 6 string guitar? I would like to noodle around and build up my callouses and finger flexibility again.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Name a musician who inspired you - that may not be a virtuoso (maybe even far from it); someone who is average but respectfully good at what they write/play. Here's mine:

Growing up listening to Neil Young made me adapt some of his piano, harmonica, and acoustic guitar playing techniques. Some people think he sucks at guitar but it's a personal skill set he taught himself and was happy with. The part I noticed that I do when just playing basic chord-driven songs on acoustic guitar is pounding out the tempo (back beats) with the back of my hand to the bridge.

Who do you nominate? R Rock And Roll Neil Young Neil Young N NeoGAF

Great question. Drums being my main instrument I have dozens of influences but I'd say Ringo/Hal Blaine/studio guys are really who I modelled my playing after, I try to just lock things down tempo wise and keep a good groove going. The whole gospel chops thing is great for modern drummer festival but if you overplay on gigs most people won't want to work with you unless it's a jazz fusion gig. I've had countless singers tell me they prefer me for gigs because I don't overpower them and I set things up nicely for them, that just comes from taking the approach of the less is more studio players.

Other instruments is a bit of a mixed bag, since I'm not too skilled at any of them I gravitate towards more unorthodox guys, kind of like you were saying with Neil Young. I think McCartney when I play bass for fun, roots are boring and I play enough of that on piano/guitar so I tend to play bass more melodically and view it as almost a counter melody instrument at points.

Guitar would be Elliott Smith. I really like his finger picking style and his playing inspired me to get good at Travis picking. He also does a lot of self accompaniment with walking up to chords with bass lines, I find myself doing that a lot when playing guitar. Why just go from E to A when you can go E F# G# A, or from G to C when you can walk down G F E D C etc...

Piano I try to copy Elton although I'm obviously nowhere close to being as skilled or proficient. But I do like the ways he'll play rhythmically and use inversions to create movement. Also drummers playing piano (Phil Collins, Dennis Wilson) is something I lean towards, again due to the rhythmic ideas and not being technically skilled but making it sound interesting through rhythm/dynamics/simple fills.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Great question. Drums being my main instrument I have dozens of influences but I'd say Ringo/Hal Blaine/studio guys are really who I modelled my playing after, I try to just lock things down tempo wise and keep a good groove going. The whole gospel chops thing is great for modern drummer festival but if you overplay on gigs most people won't want to work with you unless it's a jazz fusion gig. I've had countless singers tell me they prefer me for gigs because I don't overpower them and I set things up nicely for them, that just comes from taking the approach of the less is more studio players.

Other instruments is a bit of a mixed bag, since I'm not too skilled at any of them I gravitate towards more unorthodox guys, kind of like you were saying with Neil Young. I think McCartney when I play bass for fun, roots are boring and I play enough of that on piano/guitar so I tend to play bass more melodically and view it as almost a counter melody instrument at points.

Guitar would be Elliott Smith. I really like his finger picking style and his playing inspired me to get good at Travis picking. He also does a lot of self accompaniment with walking up to chords with bass lines, I find myself doing that a lot when playing guitar. Why just go from E to A when you can go E F# G# A, or from G to C when you can walk down G F E D C etc...

Piano I try to copy Elton although I'm obviously nowhere close to being as skilled or proficient. But I do like the ways he'll play rhythmically and use inversions to create movement. Also drummers playing piano (Phil Collins, Dennis Wilson) is something I lean towards, again due to the rhythmic ideas and not being technically skilled but making it sound interesting through rhythm/dynamics/simple fills.
I guess I only listed my mediocre preference for acoustic guitar.
For basic electric guitar I imitate the playing style of Carlos Santana (I know to some he sounds big but once I learned complex playing from Eric Johnson, Steve Howe, and Mike Oldfield...he became more regular)
For basic bass I always liked Bruce Palmer or Tony Butler
For basic drums prefer the playing of Terry Chambers
Basic piano and key influences are Mark Mothersbaugh and Neil Young

JCK75

I've been playing and writing for about 30 years now (since I was 15), only since the pandemic started did I pick it back up again and start learning audio production.. I'm very green at recording and mixing but I'm getting better each time I do it. Musically I'm pretty much all Rock but I'm all over the place inside the genre. I do vocals, guitar and bass.. drums I only play when it's simple enough for me (Ramones covers) but I usually program them into Reaper.

Few Covers and Originals I've done recently.

Last edited:
I've been playing and writing for about 30 years now (since I was 15), only since the pandemic started did I pick it back up again and start learning audio production.. I'm very green at recording and mixing but I'm getting better each time I do it. Musically I'm pretty much all Rock but I'm all over the place inside the genre. I do vocals, guitar and bass.. drums I only play when it's simple enough for me (Ramones covers) but I usually program them into Reaper.

Few Covers and Originals I've done recently.

This quarantine has actually worked out pretty well for me in terms of being able to practice more than ever and being able to pick up new skills. Learning how to mix/record over the past year has been a lot of fun. Your original song is really nice too man, keep it up!

Kev Kev

Hey everyone, I thought I'd bump this thread to shamelessly promote my debut single. I've been hard at work over the past year learning production skills and getting my guitar/bass/piano/singing more solid and this is the result of it. Please listen to it a couple thousand times so I can earn a nickel.

sounds great buddy. excellent recording, mixing and mastering! it really sound clean and professional. nice use of the full stereo spectrum, the balance is on point. writing and musicianship is solid. theres some fun little extra stuff like the claps and bongos, little reverb/echo effect. the background vocals toward the end are great.

really good stuff here man. im seriously impressed. keep creating, youre really good at it!!!

sounds great buddy. excellent recording, mixing and mastering! it really sound clean and professional. nice use of the full stereo spectrum, the balance is on point. writing and musicianship is solid. theres some fun little extra stuff like the claps and bongos, little reverb/echo effect. the background vocals toward the end are great.

really good stuff here man. im seriously impressed. keep creating, youre really good at it!!!

Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate the kind words! I did everything except the mastering which I got done professionally since I wanted it to sound semi-pro. I've got an albums worth of stuff that needs to be recorded, it's just finding the time to get it all done!

GeekyDad

Added a few more tunes to my Youtube channel over the past months. Here are a couple, including one from a band I was in during the 90s.

Recorded with my friend Larry back in 2001.

This is from 1992.

I was still on my medical leave, and got bored. So, I was digging through my hard drive to find old photos, songs, writings, etc. Dug up a bunch of stuff. There's even one from a live show I did when I was, like, 20. :D

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Added a few more tunes to my Youtube channel over the past months. Here are a couple, including one from a band I was in during the 90s.

Recorded with my friend Larry back in 2001.

This is from 1992.

I was still on my medical leave, and got bored. So, I was digging through my hard drive to find old photos, songs, writings, etc. Dug up a bunch of stuff. There's even one from a live show I did when I was, like, 20. :D

With "Walk As One By Thee" what DAW or equipment was used for the rhythm lines and percussion? It's a very relaxing track and seems like it would be fitting for an open world video game (I'm not one of those people who hates open world games).

The whole Freeman E.P. I made were experimental tracks and your track got me thinking about a strange technique I tried out...twice. In my first interview with Brad Fiedel (composer of the original Terminator soundtrack); he told me that the arpeggiation heard in a lot of the white noise percussion was due to him bypassing his Prophet 10 synthesizer directly into a (Linn???) drum machine and feeding that back out through a mono speaker all done in his garage at that time. I tried this and it does come out strange. I used to collect keyboards and did something similar here GeekyDad GeekyDad . I wrote the treble clef for a small coda on my old Korg DW-8000 and noticed that if you masked the timbre of the notes...it was oddly percussive. So, I took stereo mixed WAV of that coda and fed it into a drum machine emulator. Mine is very different than the masterpiece Fiedel created with the Terminator soundtrack because I cut out all tonality from the notes and added congas to part of the percussive piece.

Meka Kiki (which roughly translates into English as "Mechanical Crisis") from the E.P. Denki (Electricity)

Last edited:

GeekyDad

With "Walk As One By [Tree]" what DAW or equipment was used for the rhythm lines and percussion? ...
The other guitar player was using a drum stick on his electric guitar to get that sound you hear throughout the track. I was doing the lead guitar using an envelope filter. The drummer was just using common drum set. We were all probably on LSD, or at the very least experimenting with inspirations from a recent trip. The recording is close to 30 years old now :D , recorded in the drummer's basement.

EDIT: Just for clarification, there was also a bassist and keyboardist. Tree had five members.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Tried something new today. I set aside some time to put some new strings on my guitar. It's literally been a few years. I stopped playing much when I got sick, so in the last three years, I haven't picked it up much. But feeling better now, and I want to play some here and there. Typically, I've kept my guitar tuned in DADGAD for quite some time. However, after treatment, I just don't have the strength and dexterity I used to. So, I tuned down low when putting the new strings on, using the same tuning structure, but to AEADEA instead. It will take me some time to master the finesse necessary to keep the vibration of the strings from getting too buzzy, but it feels so much more comfortable for me. I like it. I have to approach songs differently with my voice, too, since it's such a lower register, but I can also now reach higher with certain passages of songs where I might have normally held back. It's pretty cool. Something new to tinker with.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Tried something new today. I set aside some time to put some new strings on my guitar. It's literally been a few years. I stopped playing much when I got sick, so in the last three years, I haven't picked it up much. But feeling better now, and I want to play some here and there. Typically, I've kept my guitar tuned in DADGAD for quite some time. However, after treatment, I just don't have the strength and dexterity I used to. So, I tuned down low when putting the new strings on, using the same tuning structure, but to AEADEA instead. It will take me some time to master the finesse necessary to keep the vibration of the strings from getting too buzzy, but it feels so much more comfortable for me. I like it. I have to approach songs differently with my voice, too, since it's such a lower register, but I can also now reach higher with certain passages of songs where I might have normally held back. It's pretty cool. Something new to tinker with.
For tunings, I used to use Open E tuning quite often. I still use D module (double dropped D) for acoustic folk. All of my acoustic guitars are tuned down half-a-step or a whole step from Standard.

About new strings -- I'm that person who changes strings once every 3-years unless they break. I know it's not good but it's been a habit.

GeekyDad

For tunings, I used to use Open E tuning quite often. I still use D module (double dropped D) for acoustic folk. All of my acoustic guitars are tuned down half-a-step or a whole step from Standard.

About new strings -- I'm that person who changes strings once every 3-years unless they break. I know it's not good but it's been a habit.
Well, I did get some advice on Youtube here a few minutes ago that didn't really occur to me. He uses a higher gauge string, so that when he tunes lower it doesn't buzz like it does with my extra-light strings. Only problem I foresee with that is the fact that it would, again, add the tension I was looking to relieve myself of. I just don't have the strength anymore to press down on the frets the way I used to.

I did fool around with bringing it back up to B and then C. Right now I have it at C. But I really do love that lower register. I don't know...I'll probably fool around a bit more, I guess.

Last edited:

Ionian

Well, I did get some advice on Youtube here a few minutes ago that didn't really occur to me. He uses a higher gauge string, so that when he tunes lower it doesn't buzz like it does with my extra-light strings. Only problem I foresee with that is the fact that it would, again, add the tension I was looking to relieve myself of. I just don't have the strength anymore to press down on the frets the way I used to.

I did fool around with bringing it back up to B and then C. Right now I have it at C. But I really do love that lower register. I don't know...I'll probably fool around a bit more, I guess.

Higher gauge was a pain in the ass for me. Could do it when learning but was far slower. Then again I learned from a Yamaha keyboard as a child (4 or 5 age). Learned Guitar by ear as well. Sucked balls as no theory but managed to do it. Was amazing to be honest as it was genuinely freedom. Could play the Star Wars theme as a kid by ear. Was forgotten and later found again and was amazing. Wrote many stupid songs just for the fun.

GeekyDad

Well, I went back down to the A tuning yesterday, and I think I'm gonna stick with it. It matches my voice, and I love the sound of the guitar itself -- almost like a koto. I was able to see the approach I need to take better this time. It demands a very light touch in order to keep the strings from buzzing, and again, a light touch is really well-suited for my current physical state.

Ionian

Well, I went back down to the A tuning yesterday, and I think I'm gonna stick with it. It matches my voice, and I love the sound of the guitar itself -- almost like a koto. I was able to see the approach I need to take better this time. It demands a very light touch in order to keep the strings from buzzing, and again, a light touch is really well-suited for my current physical state.
Could never really get into alternate tuning myself and did try. Drop D (I think?) for metal. My Les Paul would go out of tune so quickly. Had a few guitars, one with a stock that you could lock the strings in, bloody de-tuned the thing everytime I did. Sold that one quickly. A cappo on a 12-string though was amazing. Essential for playing "Breaking the Girl
" in the original Chili Peppers "Blood Sugar Sex Magik". Then they released the book again with no capo on it. Whoever did the first book was an idiot as it was full of mistakes.

GeekyDad

Could never really get into alternate tuning myself and did try. Drop D (I think?) for metal. My Les Paul would go out of tune so quickly. Had a few guitars, one with a stock that you could lock the strings in, bloody de-tuned the thing everytime I did. Sold that one quickly. A cappo on a 12-string though was amazing. Essential for playing "Breaking the Girl
" in the original Chili Peppers "Blood Sugar Sex Magik". Then they released the book again with no capo on it. Whoever did the first book was an idiot as it was full of mistakes.

It definitely takes some time to, well, I don't wanna say master, but to become accustomed to the various tunings. For a time, Orkney was also one of my most-used tuning (with a low C). I would say, in the past 15-20 years, altered tuning have pretty much been a staple for me.

GeekyDad

My wife dug out my old Roland VS-880EX workstation while we were on vacation, and this morning I was able to hook it up and power her on. So far, so good. The system was searching for the external drive. I'm off from work today, so I may try and dig around the garage in search of it. This is getting good...! I have had some ideas I'd like to record.

Can't believe I never popped in here! I write/produce downtempo/electronica - probably for fans of Boards of Canada/Christ/Autechre/Aphex Twin/Tobacco. Musically I am competent in keys and drums. I've played drums for many years, but took a very long break from everything musically (like 15+ years). I now work with synthesizers, samplers, tape (cassette/reel to reel) in my music. I pay particular attention to drums because of my love for them.

I've released on some smaller netlabels (digital and physical) and will actually be releasing my next LP on vinyl this year, so I'm pretty stoked about that. I also create all my art and have done some 'full album videos' for my recent EPs. Here's one if anyone wants to skim through and check it out:

Music is about the only hobby I have time for anymore, oddly enough. Gaming has mostly taken a back seat because it is so rewarding to create something tangible myself.

GeekyDad

Can't believe I never popped in here! I write/produce downtempo/electronica - probably for fans of Boards of Canada/Christ/Autechre/Aphex Twin/Tobacco. Musically I am competent in keys and drums. I've played drums for many years, but took a very long break from everything musically (like 15+ years). I now work with synthesizers, samplers, tape (cassette/reel to reel) in my music. I pay particular attention to drums because of my love for them.

I've released on some smaller netlabels (digital and physical) and will actually be releasing my next LP on vinyl this year, so I'm pretty stoked about that. I also create all my art and have done some 'full album videos' for my recent EPs. Here's one if anyone wants to skim through and check it out:

Music is about the only hobby I have time for anymore, oddly enough. Gaming has mostly taken a back seat because it is so rewarding to create something tangible myself.

Saved it to my watch later list to give it a thorough listening to, but that opening is just beautiful. I could listen to that for hours. Really beautiful.

Saved it to my watch later list to give it a thorough listening to, but that opening is just beautiful. I could listen to that for hours. Really beautiful.
Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to listen. That release sort of marked a change in my approach. Really proud of it.

JCK75

About 2 years I started writing a basic little song about how much I hate my wife(super abusive to me and my son), I picked it back up and finished it last week as I filed for divorce... I'm aware it sounds like shit from the 90's because I'm old as shit and I'm also stuck in the 90's

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Found the (almost?) finished version of a song I already had on my channel. Another from around 2004 with a couple of friends.

GeekyDad

GAF Musicians Community

I've noticed that many members on NeoGaf have various talents or skills that span beyond gaming. I thought to myself...maybe we need a place for those musicians to freely share their music (freely also means no charging money for music). We're going to get this started with a poll. What kind of musical talent are you? Everyone should select at least one but you have options up to 4 poll choices. If you're a multi-musician...share with us your gift.

There are many threads already for those who just want to share the music you like in a YouTube video link; however, let's try to keep this to your original music. If you have videos of yourself jamming, practicing, or studio recordings...by all means, share them! Tell us what got you started into music and what musical genre (s) you prefer to play. Were you a band geek in high school or college? If you're not a musician...what's a musical instrument you want to learn? Not certain about what instrument brands, types, and such you should buy/rent? Ask us here (just no advertisements...only references). Do you like to play original songs or covers? What instruments do you own (even if you don't play them)...share pics if you like?

Keep it simple and within NeoGAF guidelines and I'd say we have the making for a great thread here!

About me: I'm a multi-musician and I started playing brass at like age 9. At age 10, I switched to percussion and played until I was 11 before switching to guitar. I had piano lessons at age 6 but never learned anything back then beyond middle-C; I came back to piano when I was 15-years old and it's one of my main instruments. I started playing flutes (concert, shakuhachi, hulusi, ocarina, Irish, pan, etc) when I was in college in my later-teens. I started playing electric bass and double-bass when I was 21. I also play: mandolin, marimba, drums, percussion, auto-harp, saxophone, melodica, harmonica, organ (I've got a vintage Hammond), dulcimer, dobro, steel guitar, and timpani. I suck at writing lyrics and have an extreme shyness of singing. I love gaming soundtracks, anime soundtracks, instrumentals, and play music written before my time mostly. Here are a few tracks I've written or played multiple instruments on (free to listen to):

Electronic music (written mostly on MIDI...I love using obscure time signatures and loops)

Peruvian sounding music (flutes, classic guitar)

Jazz (The other musicians didn't show and I ended up playing all instruments)

Folk cover (this is not my song and is the most you'll hear of me singing)

Funk-fusion

Electronic soundtrack

Anime cover (Harlock Saga ending)

Went back and revisited your tunes. Really love that second tune in particular. Sounds like flamenco is perhaps a natural fit for you. Your flute playing is lovely -- guided and heartfelt.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Went back and revisited your tunes. Really love that second tune in particular. Sounds like flamenco is perhaps a natural fit for you. Your flute playing is lovely -- guided and heartfelt.
Thank you sir! I stopped recording music in 2019 and the last two instrumental albums were compilation from years past. I wrote and played that in one night. There was no guitar and it's played with low key fife. I wanted it to sound Spanish and showed it to some people in Mexico years ago. They said it sounded Peruvian and that's what I put on it.

Somedays I wonder how well I can play guitar. I've been playing piano as a hobby and organ but haven't it's all been in house. My passion for music seems to have grown less in recording. I think the whole project (s) listed above was me trying to see if my catalog of old recordings would sell back in 2018/19 (when they were uploaded). A few sold but I've more or less abandoned those albums. It's all free now, so disregard the price if there's something you'd like via DM.

Top Bottom