• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf Gaming Discussion: Age of users

How old are you?

• 10-15

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 15-20

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 20-25

Votes: 17 4.5%
  • 30-35

Votes: 125 33.1%
  • 35-40

Votes: 98 25.9%
  • 40+

Votes: 89 23.5%
  • 25-30

Votes: 44 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Young people don't post on forums. That's old-timer shit. We're the remnant of those that fought the System Wars. First as children on the playground over SNES vs Genesis, then on the web in the early 2000s. Fast-forward 15-20yrs and that asshole kid from System Wars is a parent of 3 while still a glorified child trolling GAF. This is the essence of being a hardcore gamer 4 life.

Guilty_AI

Exactly the same feeling here...lol
NcWGrMp.jpg

ZywyPL

Banned
Young people don't post on forums. That's old-timer shit. We're the remnant of those that fought the System Wars. First as children on the playground over SNES vs Genesis, then on the web in the early 2000s. Fast-forward 15-20yrs and that asshole kid from System Wars is a parent of 3 while still a glorified child trolling GAF. This is the essence of being a hardcore gamer 4 life.

Yup, the young generation is simply too busy actually playing the games, those hundreds of millions of daily players in Minecraft, Fortnite, LoL, CoD etc. don't come from nowhere.

Stuart360

I remember reading 2 or 3 years ago that the average age of a gamer today was 38, so the ages on show shouldnt really be surprising. If you take mobile gaming out of the equation, i bet there are FAR more 30+ year old gamers than gamers under 18.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Siri

Banned
I’m not participating in this survey because of the super annoying 40+ thing.

So everyone over the age of 40 is just some super old fuck who doesn’t matter? Clearly, OP, you believe that the younger age groups should be differentiated because of life experiences.

Okay.... so I’ve got some news for you... even after the age of 40 people continue to mature and change. A 40-year-old does not typically have the same life experiences as a 50-year-old.

How about NOT lumping me in with a group of people who aren’t in my age category. 40 is young for me.

Rikoi

So everyone over the age of 40 is just some super old fuck who doesn’t matter? Clearly, OP, you believe that the younger age groups should be differentiated because of life experiences.

Okay.... so I’ve got some news for you... even after the age of 40 people continue to mature and change. A 40-year-old does not typically have the same life experiences as a 50-year-old.

How about NOT lumping me in with a group of people who aren’t in my age category. 40 is young for me.
Hey man we know it's all about the mental age after all, if you still feel 15 there is no shame in being 60.
Do you feel rotten because he included 40s with 80s?

Humdinger

He's probably a younger guy who figured the percentage of people 40+ would be very small, so he didn't bother differentiating.

I'm surprised as anyone that nearly a quarter of the people voting are over 40. Makes me feel more at home.

I'm a little suspicious of the numbers, though. I notice that only 330 people have voted. That's not a whole lot. Maybe once it gets near 600, I'll trust it more. A typical console preference poll gets 600-700 votes. So I'm wondering about the contingent of people who aren't bothering to vote.

Maybe a lot of younger people aren't noticing the poll or taking the time to vote. It would make sense that people who are older might be more likely to notice and participate in a poll focusing on age. So there may be some skewing there.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Doesn't really make sense that only 4% are in their early 20s. I think the poll is skewed somehow.

As I mentioned above, older people are probably more likely to notice and vote in a poll like this.

Siri

Banned
Hey man we know it's all about the mental age after all, if you still feel 15 there is no shame in being 60.
Do you feel rotten because he included 40s with 80s?

Yeah.... the poll was started by a young guy, obviously.

I don’t feel like I’m in the late 30’s or early 40’s group, but I don’t feel like I’m in the 60’s group either. The OP clearly thinks that anyone over 40 is just.... old.... and that we’re all pretty much the same.

He better not step on my lawn or I’ll spray him with water.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just tried 30 and had to go on the older side of this poll.

Brb...going to kill myself.

I believe you are taking the poll too seriously.

Posts like that just confirm many things...

Last edited:

Isa

36 here. Like any medium I think gaming is timeless. I love finding neat surprises such as that New Zealand elderly lady who discovered gaming a few years back and now she has a bigger and better collection of Jrpgs than me. Plus like she mentioned, its about the games and playing them. Finding new worlds to escape into and be immersed in. What a hobby.

Top Bottom