• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf Gaming Discussion: Age of users

How old are you?

• 10-15

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 15-20

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 20-25

Votes: 17 4.5%
  • 30-35

Votes: 125 33.1%
  • 35-40

Votes: 98 25.9%
  • 40+

Votes: 89 23.5%
  • 25-30

Votes: 44 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ANIMAL1975

To be honest im a little shocked...Lots of old farts here and i saw some 15yo attitude frequently...
Young in spirit for life!
crys inside while the left knee stings because of the excitement...
Mods seem to think I'm a child based on the tag they kindly gave me.

Maybe 27 makes me a child.
Yeah i could be your father dude

45 in September.
Ouch
45. Started gaming with Atari 2600 and pocket game & watch games when I was like 6.
My brehs 😟

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Anyone who thinks video games are toys for children should probably look at the poll in this thread. So many old farts :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I think it's quite the opposite. You'd be surprised how many adults now, who started gaming in the 80s, play games. We can't just let go of great nostalgic memories that easily. Plus, gaming is still fun :)

And I'm 40.

Agreed. All of us post 40 year olds were around for things like the Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum, up through NES and Master System, SNES and Megadrive. They are as much a way of life for us as TV and movies.

Let's not forget the video games industry is more profitable than any other entertainment medium these days. It's weird how the mainstream media just doesn't understand how huge gaming is, across a wide range of ages.

I'm old enough to tell you there were consoles before those two, and possibly wars..

Look... you banging two rocks together in the street was not a video games console. You know this.

Last edited:
I get the impression a sizable amount of 30+ users here have some fanatical console warring tendencies... I'm going to cast a stone in my own glass house here and say some of you dudes need a serious dose of introspection since like yesterday.

Last edited:
I was playing Rocket League the other day and got asked this question by some random gamer. He laughed when I said I was 40.

Being an older gamer means you've been around since the origins back in the 80s. It's the best, my kids will never know what it means, when they grow up with graphics like Cyberpunk 2077 or Halo Infinite.

Dr.Morris79

Anyone who thinks video games are toys for children should probably look at the poll in this thread. So many old farts :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Agreed. All of us post 40 year olds were around for things like the Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum, up through NES and Master System, SNES and Megadrive. They are as much a way of life for us as TV and movies.

Let's not forget the video games industry is more profitable than any other entertainment medium these days. It's weird how the mainstream media just doesn't understand how huge gaming is, across a wide range of ages.

Look... you banging two rocks together in the street was not a video games console. You know this.

iyWRgIs.jpg

There was bloodshed.

OP do you work for a marketing/research firm? Because all of your Poll threads seem like surveys made by a publisher's marketing team.
No, i work on video editing (tv commercials), and im also a programmer.
I like to make threads when the audience tell something about themselves. Preferences, age, why u think that, those kind of stuff!

Many people do threads to people give opinions about what he/her is asking, so the entire thread is about the OP. I like to do the contrary, thread where the stars are the users.

Sorry my poor English.

Rikoi

Most gamers were in the 10-20 bracket when gaming became mainstream (around the PS1/N64 era) so it's kinda easy to see how 30-40 years old gamers are so common.
I don't think we are a relic of the past, there are a lot of gamers of this age because of that.

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

Yeah, but there wasn’t much of a console war between those two, as people could only communicate by telegram or shouting at each other from across the valley.
Yeah, that seemed more of a skermish that Atari outright won and slowly became old and fat and full of hubris that they outright crashed the entire burgeoning market as it was by themselves!
Then 2 new upstarts from the Far East rose to stake claim in the real war!

Domisto

I'm almost surprised there are that many under 30. Forums have been trending older for a long time now. Youngsters like to do their own thing away from the old folks. Facebook was taken over by parents. It's happening to Twitter. It will happen to Instagram in future.

Reactions: GHG

cormack12

Gold Member
Most gamers were in the 10-20 bracket when gaming became mainstream (around the PS1/N64 era) so it's kinda easy to see how 30-40 years old gamers are so common.
I don't think we are a relic of the past, there are a lot of gamers of this age because of that.

We are the first generation

GHG

Gold Member
I'm almost surprised there are that many under 30. Forums have been trending older for a long time now. Youngsters like to do their own thing away from the old folks. Facebook was taken over by parents. It's happening to Twitter. It will happen to Instagram in future.

I think most of the younger forum users left for Resetera and then stayed there.

dDoc

I still remember my first love - the PacMan and Space Invaders arcade machines. After many a quarter lost I got a ZX Spectrum.

Bryank75

Banned
I'd like to think I'm aging gracefully... I think Dylan Moran sums up my feelings on getting older quite well and how I feel about younger people.

Guilty_AI

Loads of older people here, and still console warring at full strength. I don't know what to think of it.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
29, it feels like i've lived 3-4 lives already. who says life is short? it's really not, not for me at least.

Top Bottom