• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Bug - Linewrap on Images/Videos a little broken?

CamHostage

Just a small fix-it request, if this is a good place to mention such things: recently it seems like the linebreak on images and videos is not working right.

Text will wrap around the side of embedded content even though it's spaced properly and looks correct in the post editor. It makes it tough to read or easy to skip over details in a post since paragraphs start in a weird place.

Is this bug on the radar of stuff to fix? (Or is it just something wrong with my screwy PC and nobody else is getting this spacing issue? (I'm on Chrome 104.0.5112.102 64BIT using a Windows PC, and I also tried it in Firefox and saw the same thing.) This doesn't break the site, but it'd be nice to not deal with if/when a fix is possible.

6kd26J1.jpg

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just a small fix-it request, if this is a good place to mention such things: recently it seems like the linebreak on images and videos is not working right.

Text will wrap around the side of embedded content even though it's spaced properly and looks correct in the post editor. It makes it tough to read or easy to skip over details in a post since paragraphs start in a weird place.

Is this bug on the radar of stuff to fix? (Or is it just something wrong with my screwy PC and nobody else is getting this spacing issue? (I'm on Chrome 104.0.5112.102 64BIT using a Windows PC, and I also tried it in Firefox and saw the same thing.) This doesn't break the site, but it'd be nice to not deal with if/when a fix is possible.

6kd26J1.jpg
The writer needs to press enter between the embedded item and the text that follows.
BD9mKOt.png

Here's an example:

Blah, blah, blah

Here's an example of the issue:

blah blah blah

CamHostage

The writer needs to press enter between the embedded item and the text that follows.
BD9mKOt.png

I understand that, and I go back and fix my posts when it goes wrong, but you have to add extra spaces that the WYSIWYG doesn't say you need. You add linebreaks in the editor, but that first linbreak is ignored in the post. So you can cheat it with adding even more linebreaks, but there's a translation or style sheet error where lines run together. (And all other bracketed text commands obey linebreaks or lack of linebreaks, except maybe Quote? So it's only embeds that have that BB Code condition.)

I see wrapped text all the time on the site. It's something writers learn to fix (well, some writers; this post has over 260 responses and the OP still didn't fix the embeds) but this issue didn't exist until fairly recently from what I remember, and it's not representative of the text entered into the editor. It's some kind of bug. Just a little one, not an emergency situation, not something that stops people from being able to post or anything bad like that, but if it's possible to fix some day, it'd help make a lot of posts easier to read.

Last edited:

CamHostage

You can tell something is unusual because of the example below: this is typed out as two different BB code lines (one has a linebreak, one runs right after the MEDIA instruction) yet both result in the same result, with text wrapped around the video.
rWumqhu.png

dI6131t.jpg

Top Bottom