• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gach-a-me, Mario! Mario Kart Tour (iOS/Android) unveiled

Chittagong

Gold Member

Mario Kart Tour, the smartphone debut of Nintendo’s long-running kart racing franchise, has started its closed beta in Japan and the US, and it hasn’t taken long for videos and screenshots to start appearing on the web. But Kotaku reports that the game also features lootbox-style (or “gacha”) systems where you spend virtual currency for a shot at unlocking new items which offer different degrees of rarity and functionality.

For five green gems, for example, you get a random chance of earning a new driver, kart, or glider. Certain equipment and characters get you bonuses on different tracks, but other characters seem to have a better average bonus across all the game’s courses. There’s also a stamina system involving hearts, and once these run out, you’ll have to wait for them to replenish or pay money to purchase more hearts.

DrNeroCF

It looks like Mario Kart, it sounds like Mario Kart...

Sure it's not like my kids and I would have loved Mario Kart 9 on the Switch or anything Nintendo :|

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
While I’m not thrilled about that I could still probably deal with it, but Mario Kart Tour also contains something that’s my most hated thing in any free to play game: A stamina meter. It’ll cost hearts to begin races, and of course there’s a cool down timer for those hearts, so once you’re out you’re stuck not playing until the timer refills your hearts or you pay for a refill IAP. Stupidly, these timers also pop up when you’ve unlocked a new Cup, making you wait for some reason before you can play a new set of courses. Why developers ever want to actively prevent you from playing their games I’ll never understand.

Touch arcade preview

Fuck mobile games

juliotendo

Looks great for a simple mobile game and will probably be popular. Nintendo is smart making a few mobile games here and there that can act as marketing tools for their real games on switch.

stranno

Mario Kart GP 1, 2 and Deluxe have been beaten as the worst Mario Karts ever.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Mario Kart Super Circuit immediately became only the second worst Mario kart game, by a wide margin. This is something historians claimed would never happen.
Lol what?
That game was so fucking awesome when it came out on gba.

That shit on an handheld? With pseudo 3D item blocks. Damn 4 vs mode and cup modes

All nes racing tracks too??
YOU MAD.

woopWOOP

Looks dull, but I guess most of these are 50CC and 100CC?
150 or 200CC might be better.

and gacha sucks, but maybe they'll atleast add more characters down the line to keep the new content flow going.
... It's gonna be new characters like cat toad and pink gold toadette isn't it, goddamnit

Holammer

1N0UjV3.jpg

They'll still make millions.

Fbh

I was actually somewhat looking forward to this but it looks terrible.
It's an oficial Nintendo approved Mario Kart game that somehow looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Why the hell do you go so slow? Why are there no other racers? Why does this game exist?

Apparently, NIntendo is trying to cash in one of their most popular intellectual properties (Mario Kart) to people who have a smart phone, but not enough money or sense to buy a Switch + Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

It looks like Mario Kart, it sounds like Mario Kart...

Sure it's not like my kids and I would have loved Mario Kart 9 on the Switch or anything Nintendo :|
You really think Mario Kart 9 on Switch would be better? Going back to a measly 32 tracks after we got... what, 40 or so with 8 Deluxe? They're never gonna top that character roster, either.

Wait until the next Nintendo console, the Switch-U, to get a new Kart. Meantime, you'd best keep playing that same game, cause it's EVERGREEN, baby.

The graphics look decent enough but that's about it.

I'm still waiting for Nintendo to announce Mario Kart 9 for the Switch. I can't imagine they'll go an entire console generation with only an enhanced port of the Wii U entry available.

Last edited:
The graphics look decent enough but that's about it.

I'm still waiting for Nintendo to announce Mario Kart 9 for the Switch. I can't imagine they'll go an entire console generation with only an enhanced port of the Wii U entry available.
They never make more than one Mario Kart game per console. When you've been a loyal Nintendo player since the mid-90's, you pick up on some very obvious patterns.

Never more than 1 Mario Kart. The Switch game being MK8 "Deluxe" does NOT matter.

Never more than 2 3D Zelda games, ports excepted. N64 had two. GCN had two. Wii had two. WiiU had Breath and the TP+WW ports. Switch has Breath and likely at least one more before we call it quits, and it seems people want an "improved" Breath sequel, so yeah. Could be a 2021 title!

Never more than 1 Smash Bros. game. Even now, people look at Ultimate as "For WiiU/3DS done right", and there is almost no reason to go back to previous Smash titles beyond the SSE of Brawl(Even then I'd argue only for the cutscenes, so barely even that) and the "particular" gameplay of Melee. Oh, I guess barring nostalgia also, but that shouldn't be a factor here.

Regarding Pokemon games, there is never more than two new "sets" of games. GBA had only one set and one remake set. GameBoy had two sets. DS had two new sets and one remake set. 3DS had two new sets and one remake set. Switch currently has one remake set of sorts, and will have the first new set this holiday. Likely we'll get one more new set and maybe another remake set before the end of the console's lifespan. Personally, I'm waiting on a proper hedgehog pokemon. =P

3D Mario games are ALSO usually only 1 per system. Galaxy broke the trend in a way with Galaxy 2, but that has been the only exception thus far, and there was a good reason behind the decision.

Other series like Mario Party, Star Fox, Metroid, etc tend to be more inconsistent with their release patterns. There's always at least one Kirby game on each Nintendo console, but GameCube only had one kinda okay spin-off, so again, kinda shaky. Donkey Kong has also had a shaky history, but there has been at least one platforming DK game on each console I'm pretty sure. If there's something I'm missing, feel free to let me know.

tl;dr Mario Kart 9 AIN'T HAPPENIN' until Switch-U, but I will eat crow if it somehow does happen on Switch and Nintendo breaks their established patterns again.

cabbage5k2

So they're literally inserting gacha elements into this game without understanding why those elements worked in their most successful mobile offerings. It works in Fire Emblem Heroes because it's the only non-modded option to play with characters from multiple entries from the series while offering somewhat similar gameplay as the main series. Dragalia Lost works because the characters in that game are actually interesting with fun, if overly repetitive, gameplay to go with it. But, more importantly, a lot of great art also comes with it, and from what I've seen thus far, this game... lacks the style the two I've mentioned do.

One thing truly going for it as of right now is the continual streams of small rewards (the coins, Grand Stars, tour gifts, etc) to encourage playing frequently, hence making the stamina that much more annoying, and paying to ignore that an unfortunate possibility. Mind, both Fire Emblem Heroes and Dragalia Lost throws so many stamina boosters at you that it barely matters, so I would anticipate something similar happening here.

Gameplay wise this looks far better than I anticipated, very much in the same vein as Fire Emblem Heroes; a less complicated form of a full $60 game. Not much more to say here, as the videos provided throughout this thread pretty much says everything.

Essentially in the long term this game will, probably, need to stylistically differentiate itself from its main entry siblings to become as successful as Fire Emblem Heroes and Dragalia Lost.

That being said, if there are any beta testers here, I have two questions:

1.) What purpose do the coins serve in this game?

and 2.) Underneath every character you "unlock" in this game there seems to be an item attached to them underneath. Is this an item exclusive to that character, or does unlocking the character also unlock the item for any character to earn during a race?

Top Bottom