• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell prefers Xbox Series X to PS5

teezzy

Banned

If he had to choose, the head of Valve would go for Xbox Series X over PS5.

Valve co-founder Gabe Newell has been stuck in New Zealand since the coronavirus outbreak. When the team wrapped up on Half-Life: Alyx, Newell went on a break in the country.

Shortly afterwards, the virus hit and Newell found himself essentially stuck there since March. Newell has been guesting on national TV to promote a concert he’s putting on in New Zealand for free, with the help of his friends, as a way to thank the country for hosting them.

Asked directly which of the two consoles – PS5 or Xbox Series X – he considers the better one, Newell went with Xbox without hesitation.

“Why?” asked the host. “Because it’s better!” replied Newell.

“I don’t have a stake in that race,” he clarified. “Obviously, we do most of our development on personal computers, but of the two I would definitely go with an Xbox.”

EeAy0WBWAAAOKrm.jpg:large

EPIC VS VALVE IN THIS CONSOLE WAR
SWEENEY VS GABEN
CERNY VS SPENCER

WHO SHALL WIN

This reminds me of the time when Gabe said PS3 was terrible to develop(which it was due to it's complex architecture which was hard to comprehend by those outside of first party studios), then fast forward to 2010 he walks up on stage at Sony E3 and announces a slew of exclusive features for PS3 version of Portal 2. Good choice though, Xbox is a beast a platform today more so than they ever were thanks to game pass and backwards compatibility services going for it's consoles.

How crazy would it be if Xbox Series X somehow turns out to be compatible with Steam and Series X ends up letting you play pc games on Series X with no need for porting them over? Steam + Game Pass, Series X would be the defining console and Xbox would be the second most preferred platform for gaming outside of PC for years no?

Mista

Banned
I see where this is going. After EPIC preferring the PS5 now we have Valve preferring the XSX

Those two aren't going to make it look any better. They'll just make the matter worse

Also I don't understand what Valve is going to offer for the XSX, at least we have Epic games on consoles

We don't need to separate the players community over such absurd thing honestly

Lets get this straight, both the PS5 and XSX are powerful consoles that will take console games to another level

Its fine to have a preferred system, this is normal as a human being. Sweeney is human and so is Gabe at the end of the day

Don't let such claims add fuel to the fire.

Entroyp

Wasn’t valve very critical of Windows 10 and tried to create their own Linux OS for games? Glad he came around, that was a stupid move.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well to be fair, Valve & MS are fairly cosy these days.
Newell is former employee of Microsoft.

I see where this is going. After EPIC preferring the PS5 now we have Valve preferring the XSX

Those two aren't going to make it look any better. They'll just make the matter worse

Also I don't understand what Valve is going to offer for the XSX, at least we have Epic games on consoles

We don't need to separate the players community over such absurd thing honestly

Lets get this straight, both the PS5 and XSX are powerful consoles that will take console games to another level

Its fine to have a preferred system, this is normal as a human being. Sweeney is human and so is Gabe at the end of the day

Don't let such claims add fuel to the fire.
But one did not receive 250m paycheck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom