• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 is back

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Apparently, I am not a trusted G4tv member on Reddit. I think they locked people out of posting.

They did. After banning numerous people and closing close to a 100+ threads that weren't spouting the same tired cliche lines. Take a look at revedit to get a good look at how pathetic they are.

Krathoon

They did. After banning numerous people and closing close to a 100+ threads that weren't spouting the same tired cliche lines. Take a look at revedit to get a good look at how pathetic they are.
The funny thing is that I didn't post anything. They say you can request to post, but I tried that and it seems like I am totally locked out.

Another thing I noticed that is getting less buzz - at one point she lists off some of the "amazing team" that makes this new G4 that are behind the camera. She rattles off like five or six people and implies that's not all of them.

But....their dismal youtube views can't possibly support that many people. Do they have some big sponsorships? Maybe a handful of patreon whales? How is this making any money, let alone enough for a full payroll of employees?

This was actually one of my first thoughts as well. I did some quick searching and it looks like Comcast might be the one funding this, which makes sense. One thing the last few years has shown is is how an independent youtuber can generate a ridiculous amount of views and revenue on a shoestring budget. Something like this pretty much has to depend on funds from a mega corporation.

Interested to see how long they stick around. When you're paying a decent sized crew corporate is less likely to be patient enough to see if they can grow their audience.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
What was arguably worse for me was hearing that they don't actually write their own reviews. They're basically talking heads reading reviews that are done by committee.

I watched about three minutes of Sessler and Froskurrin's review of Death Stranding, and it felt weird. Why should I care about your thoughts and little quips about the game when you probably didn't even play it? It just came off as disingenuous after that.

V291Alm.jpg

Update:

xIkIWhj.jpg

Krathoon

It is funny on Reddit. They are deleting posts over minor stuff.
Start the Gina Darling fan thread.

Last edited:

Krathoon

What was arguably worse for me was hearing that they don't actually write their own reviews. They're basically talking heads reading reviews that are done by committee.

I watched about three minutes of Sessler and Froskurrin's review of Death Stranding, and it felt weird. Why should I care about your thoughts and little quips about the game when you probably didn't even play it? It just came off as disingenuous after that.
It is weird because you don't know how much of it is actually them.

DustQueen

Banned
So...We all have to learn to jerk off to Frost to be more accepting and less sexist....i think that is the only solution to this

Go damn it is hard to be inclusive

Last edited:

Krathoon

G4 used to just be this silly and fun channel. They are trying to get there again, but XPlay is not cooperating.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Remind me, did everyone in these gaming positions have Cluster B personality disorders 20 years ago?

I certainly don't remember it being that way. Seems ever since the popularization of sites like Twitter and Facebook, these mentally ill personalties started to make a massive appearance. Even normal people (at the time) such as Jesse Cox and Adam Sessler, who certainly had their personal views, weren't so massively cuntish.

Neo_Geo

Banned
RIP ZDTV! The transition to TechTV wasn't the greatest, but their content was still halfway palatable. G4TV is a steaming pile of shit for the most part.

Krathoon

TechTV was pretty neat. You learned all these tech tips on the Screen Savers.
I learned about torrents on there.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

She has a point. But It's not really sexism. She (or they whatever pronouns) is not a likeable person. You could be a tomboy or non-binary and still be likeable and charismatic. A TV presenter has to earn the public adoration. It's not a given. People not liking her doesn't equal sexism. Sex appeal exists as a thing whether she likes that or not.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

I get them banning people and deleting threads, but whoever they're allowing to handle their community and social media presence is really dumb. Reddit is one of the chief engagement tools out there for them for the kind of product they're selling, and rather than simply moderate they're literally killing a huge chunk of their engagement by just shutting down the subreddit (which is essentially what they're doing).

I don't disagree with what this Indiana Black woman said (I forget what her dumb internet handle is), but the producers never should have let her say it on air, and now they're double fucking themselves on Reddit. Just a management shitshow all around.

This was actually one of my first thoughts as well. I did some quick searching and it looks like Comcast might be the one funding this, which makes sense. One thing the last few years has shown is is how an independent youtuber can generate a ridiculous amount of views and revenue on a shoestring budget. Something like this pretty much has to depend on funds from a mega corporation.

Interested to see how long they stick around. When you're paying a decent sized crew corporate is less likely to be patient enough to see if they can grow their audience.

It's also a TV channel again, and yes Comcast is funding them. It's why they came out of the gate with the large sets, large crew, etc.

Last edited:
Here's the thing, her main premise is not entirely wrong. Telling someone you like jerking off to them without having a pre-existing sexual relationship with them is gross and weird in real life and is clearly sexual harassment in school or the work place, as is telling someone they're too ugly to fuck or jerk off to. You would not or should not do this in real life and if you do, you're an asshole and if it's in school or the workplace, you should be sued for sexual harassment, lose your job, and be expelled and if it was my wife or our daughter that was the victim, I'd find the fucker that said it and punch him in the fucking mouth. So, if there are people making these kinds of comments in their videos or chats, she's in the right. That being said, this is the internet and not real life and there are at least three very easy solutions to this problem.

(1) You ignore them. Don't read the comments. Don't read the chat.
(2) You state up front you will not tolerate sexist or racist speech or other hate speech and then ban or block people who violate those rules.
(3) You disable comments and chat altogether.

What I find laughable is her revisionist G4 history. Morgan Webb, Olivia Munn, Sara Jean Underwood, Layla Kayleigh, Kristin Holt, and probably 95% of the rest of the female hosts were clearly hired because, number one, they're attractive and, number two, they can talk about tech/games/geek culture. Nearly all of them also either engaged in risque content on their respective shows or did risque photoshoots and modeling in men's magazines. They sexualized themselves. They understood that gaming and tech is a male-dominated hobby and had no issue being eye candy for their male audience.

So that brings us back to the present. The old G4, because of their often risque content and hot female hosts, developed a largely male audience who, upon hearing about the G4 revival, probably expected the new G4 to harken back to the days of Morgan and Layla bikini photoshoots, Olivia shoving hotdogs in her mouth, and Sara Jean going on a naked bike ride. As we now know, that's not what the new G4 is about and the largely male audience is negatively comparing the two G4 eras, which new G4 doesn't like. In that case, you shouldn't have called yourself G4. New G4 invited the comparison by using the name G4, so deal with it.

G4 wanted people to react to this bitch's rant. They want the attention. People like her like the attention because they can use any made-up examples from then on out as a way to grift money and grab more and more of the cultural pie. I'm glad most people realizing she's a massive piece of shit but sending nasty emails and creating videos like that grifter The Quartering is obviously doing is just playing right into her hands.

People like her go nuts when no one's talking about them. You get way more payoff just telling her to shut the fuck up, go sell Subaru's to lesbian tankie communes or something, and maybe she'll find someone who likes 3/10's with bad attitudes and leaving it at that.

Chiggs

Frosk continuing to discuss men jerking off to G4 women tells you all you need to know about a) her personal insecurity and b) what the producers are trying to do here.

Adios, G4. Like most things I remember, you're better off as a memory.

Krathoon

Here's the thing, her main premise is not entirely wrong. Telling someone you like jerking off to them without having a pre-existing sexual relationship with them is gross and weird in real life and is clearly sexual harassment in school or the work place, as is telling someone they're too ugly to fuck or jerk off to. You would not or should not do this in real life and if you do, you're an asshole and if it's in school or the workplace, you should be sued for sexual harassment, lose your job, and be expelled and if it was my wife or our daughter that was the victim, I'd find the fucker that said it and punch him in the fucking mouth. So, if there are people making these kinds of comments in their videos or chats, she's in the right. That being said, this is the internet and not real life and there are at least three very easy solutions to this problem.

(1) You ignore them. Don't read the comments. Don't read the chat.
(2) You state up front you will not tolerate sexist or racist speech or other hate speech and then ban or block people who violate those rules.
(3) You disable comments and chat altogether.

What I find laughable is her revisionist G4 history. Morgan Webb, Olivia Munn, Sara Jean Underwood, Layla Kayleigh, Kristin Holt, and probably 95% of the rest of the female hosts were clearly hired because, number one, they're attractive and, number two, they can talk about tech/games/geek culture. Nearly all of them also either engaged in risque content on their respective shows or did risque photoshoots and modeling in men's magazines. They sexualized themselves. They understood that gaming and tech is a male-dominated hobby and had no issue being eye candy for their male audience.

So that brings us back to the present. The old G4, because of their often risque content and hot female hosts, developed a largely male audience who, upon hearing about the G4 revival, probably expected the new G4 to harken back to the days of Morgan and Layla bikini photoshoots, Olivia shoving hotdogs in her mouth, and Sara Jean going on a naked bike ride. As we now know, that's not what the new G4 is about and the largely male audience is negatively comparing the two G4 eras, which new G4 doesn't like. In that case, you shouldn't have called yourself G4. New G4 invited the comparison by using the name G4, so deal with it.
Yeah. Frosk's statement made them sound like hypocrites and as long as they have Gina Darling on the show, they are hypocrites.
They shot themselves in the foot.
If they are going to do this, they are going to have to directly state it and drop Gina Darling.
I don't know if they have the nerve to do that.

Last edited:

Excess

People like her like the attention because they can use any made-up examples
I've started thinking about this a lot with regards to everything in social media. Whenever you generalize groups of people and point to egregious examples that often represent a fringe demographic, you're not only going to get a response from those who may deserve it, but you're also going to get an unintentional response from the group as a whole, guilty or not. In this case she's referring to men in the industry making no distinction between who or what groups specifically are responsible. And what's the natural response of man who has to sit and listen to that? Well, here you have it.

It seems to apply to almost anything on social media these days, and the worst part is that she's now using a small handful of hate emails to "prove her point". It's all the confirmation bias she ever needed to continue feeling hateful and spiteful of straight men who happen to "jerk off" to beautiful women.

Last edited:

Krathoon

G4 did get kind of creepy with the sex appeal a few times. With Oliva Munn, it was done for laughs. They would have her do something unattractive and it would be funny.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Reddit has been compromised a long time ago. You go to the Joe Rogan sub, and 90% of the posts are bashing him. It’s a complete upside down than what Reddit was 5 years to a decade ago. It’s now CULTivated.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Actually, Joe Rogan has some pretty interesting stuff. I wouldn't follow his health advice.
They like to talk about paranormal stuff and fringe science.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Its disgusting the level of discourse these cunts are pushing. Literally any time you suggest you disagree with frosk, you are immediatley labeled as a sexist. That you are a perverted man. That you are a bigot. These people need to be put into a fucking mental hospital.
Thank fuck she’s wHyte, or you’d also be called a racist.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't disagree with what this Indiana Black woman said (I forget what her dumb internet handle is), but the producers never should have let her say it on air, and now they're double fucking themselves on Reddit. Just a management shitshow all around.

Except she is objectively wrong on everything she stated.

1.) People are not pissed at her because she isn't as "bangable" as previous hosts. A few dumbass trolls may have stated such, but most are pissed at her because she is a flaky dumbass who can't handle criticism. She routinely makes wrong claims, never admits fault, and tries to toss everyone under the "they are sexist!" umbrella.

2.) Gaming does not have an "endemic" sexism problem. Its always a tiny minority that lives on social media. If there were endemic sexist problems, then why is Hololive not also affected? Why are women like Micah from LastStandMedia not constantly bombarded with hate and vitriol like Frosk claims?

3.) Old G4 put attractive looking people because men, women, and others (NB/Trans/etc), like looking at attractive people. They also hired them because they were ENTERTAINING. They had PASSION, they could ENGAGE the audience, and they had basic KNOWLEDGE of the industry they were representing. Something Frosk does not. Frosk has been wrong more often than not and its why she was kicked out of the LoL scene. I don't even play LoL past maybe 1-2 games every few months but even *I* knew what she was saying during streams was complete cockamamie.

Anyone who claims she was "right" is someone who needs to get off social media and actually see what the real world is like.

Top Bottom