• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 is back

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm not that familiar with the black hokage (gay name btw)? Is he really that bad?

Before G4 I had never heard of him. I don't know if he comes from the Twitch world, competitive commentary, or what.

As a host he's perfectly fine, he knows how to conduct a live session and read lines in a natural manner - all that. As an opinionator and critic, or at least someone pretending to be that while reading material written by someone else, he's not insightful or entertaining.

Krathoon

Even if Gundam always mispronounces half the things he says I always love his take on these things. His editing and clip choice always does it for me lol.

Yeah. This is more of a deep dive. I did not realize Oliva Munn had a deeper tie to G4.

Reactions: Isa

Krathoon

Well, it looks like I can't post a video because G4 is not allowing it to be posted on other websites. Go G4.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

No it's not back, Sessler pretends to be hard hitting but ends up being just as toothless a whore as any other mainstream review padder.

This is all G4 was... see what this talentless hack would lick or deep throat.

hot dog GIF
And what's wrong with that? I liked watching Olivia Munn fellating food on camera with a little gaming and tech stuff on the side.

Krathoon

People want to slap all these negative connotations onto Olivia Munn. It did not help that she had a relationship with the man in charge of G4.

• Thoughtful

Krathoon

G4 does have some well crafted humor with AOTS and Boosted. I also enjoy the level of writing on the XPlay reviews.
The stuff in bettween seems like they are just goofing around and it gets tedious.

Humdinger

Is there really an audience for this? What do they offer that just watching your regular round of youtubers/streamers don't?

They're mostly trying to capitalize on the nostalgia and recapture some of G4's original audience. If you compare it to what other Youtube gaming channels offer, it's not great; in some ways, it's worse, despite the large staff. There is a very low signal to noise ratio. Tons of filler.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Even if Gundam always mispronounces half the things he says I always love his take on these things. His editing and clip choice always does it for me lol.

These cringey, anime-avatar having, dorkingly cynical and contrarian for the sake of being contrarian mid-aged millennial YouTuber takes are just as bad as the worst parts of what they're criticizing.

For example he missed a lot. After G4TV went off the air Blair Herter bounced around various media companies before landing a swell corporate job as some kind of cultivator for a talent agency. Kevin Pereira went on to continue doing pretty much the same with his own company The Attack, which produced a show on some kind of internet Disney channel for a few years (as well as other ventures). They both had a hand in bringing back G4TV as a hybrid content provider banking on both linear / traditional TV content and milking revenue streams from new media like Twitch and YouTube (pretty cool idea in my opinion, though trying to leverage the G4 brand was probably a good three years too late). They both, from their positions in the industry, were lobbying for a return of G4. These are really important things to miss because the Comcast nepotism angle is only a small part of the relaunch, lost completely if one only listens to this YouTuber (And I digress but seriously, he sounds like a 30 year old man doing his level best to sound like a teenager while having an anime avatar and weeblord handle - why do people watch these YouTubers?).

Anyways, I think the shit is being blown way of proportion by two camps: those who are essentially closing in on one side of the horseshoe where the purple-hairs live and think life must involve constant drama and victimhood, and those who hated Olivia Munn and Morgan Webb a decade ago because they were too attractive to be "actual gamers" - whatever that means - and now complain because this Indiana woman isn't hot enough. :/

The rest of us are just watching it, taking the good for the bad.

Last edited:

Krathoon

They played Donkey Kong Country 2 yesterday which was nice. Jirard gave a breakdown on how the gameplay worked.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
G4 seemed to do better recently. It was getting 22K viewers on Twitch.

That is piss poor. A single Hololive stream gets 10x the amount of viewers on average. Would make Frosk’s mentally ill head spin.

Last edited:
  • LOL

Tschumi

Oh hum, she took time at the start of her first appearance on the show to lay out some opinions, i couldn't care less i don't watch gaming tv shows

That is piss poor. A single Hololive stream gets 10x the amount of viewers on average. Would make Frosk’s mentally ill head spin.
I'm not entirely certain comparing anyone's average viewers to Hololive is really fair. That said, 22k for G4 is still nevertheless bad, as indies can get better viewership or make more for themselves bank off of a tenth of such.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm not entirely certain comparing anyone's average viewers to Hololive is really fair. That said, 22k for G4 is still nevertheless bad, as indies can get better viewership or make more for themselves bank off of a tenth of such.
I am more referring to how “gamers are sexist” and yet a company who almost entirely (aside from HoloStars) focuses on female streamers, gets a lot of views and adoration. It completely destroys Frosks “Argument”

K' Dash

When I was young I always dreamed of watching videogame related content on TV (I'm not American), I found out about G4 when it was practically over and when they announced they where coming back I was excited.

This is not what I wanted to watch.

It would have been better for that lady if she owned it or ignored it... You think that you're going to get anything positive for ranting on the internet?

Last edited:

Krathoon

Ah back before everyone was overtly sensitive.
Yes. I am starting to worry about this next generation. They are not realizing that some things are just entertainment. Reading too much into things.
I am sure they are complaining about that Peacemaker show.

Last edited:
I am more referring to how “gamers are sexist” and yet a company who almost entirely (aside from HoloStars) focuses on female streamers, gets a lot of views and adoration. It completely destroys Frosks “Argument”
Still not really a fair comparison when you considering that Hololive panders to fans of Anime, J-pop Idols and, well, other intrinsically Japanese media in a way that G4 would not only never do, but also have even actively rallied against in the past. (take their negatively bordering on disdain for any JRPG that wasn't made by Square Enix for example. Or their lack of coverage on Nintendo which became glaring as the Wii gained success. Or, as was usual in the era, complaining in a bafflingly focused way about Japanese media's portrayal of women in the "Dudebro" era of American videogames, of all times.)
Sometimes I wonder how the hell they managed to care enough for Ninja Warrior for that to become their slippery slope of network decay leading G4 into hours of COPS and Cheaters reruns.

Krathoon

G4 was pretty sucky towards the end. They made fun of showing COPS when they started it back up. I just get annoyed with all the advertising and the breaks in the new format. It is worse than cable.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
How long do yall see the new g4 lasting? Kinda hard to imagine it lasting what with how much they hate their own audience.

Krathoon

How long do yall see the new g4 lasting? Kinda hard to imagine it lasting what with how much they hate their own audience.
They don't really hate the audience. If they really hated them we would have a problem. So far, they are not constantly attacking the audience.

K' Dash

They don't really hate the audience. If they really hated them we would have a problem. So far, they are not constantly attacking the audience.

I don't want to watch a videogame channel that has politics infused into them, that's I'm trying to run from.

I just want silly videogame entertainment like before.

It's already dead. I was hoping to see the same humor the old show had but that's not allowed anymore so instead we have them pandering to Twitards. I find the current G4 unwatchable. It's boring.

Unk Adams

Banned
G4 is getting a big bag of money from somewhere. They got a huge building with a huge fake controller in the lobby. Some sort of major player is funding them.
They need to rein in their hosts.
I'm just curious as to why they wasted so much money hiring a celebrity like Machine Gun Kelly to yell about sexism instead of just reporting about games.

Top Bottom