• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future Playstation Games could release to PC

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
"We must support the PlayStation platform - that is nonnegotiable," Layden told Bloomberg. "That said, you will see in the future some titles coming out of my collection of studios which may need to lean into a wider installed base."

So, my problem remains people pretending this signifies the end of exclusivity, looking at the wording here I'm not seeing that. Maybe it's been eroded a bit? And maybe this is a slippery slope? But this isn't comparable to what Microsoft is doing right now.
This so much 👏

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
"We must support the PlayStation platform - that is nonnegotiable," Layden told Bloomberg. "That said, you will see in the future some titles coming out of my collection of studios which may need to lean into a wider installed base."

How is this supposed to push more unit?

tenor.gif

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

How is this supposed to push more unit?

tenor.gif
There's two beliefs:

1. It won't. But sales from other platforms is more than any losses from losing a dedicated PS ecosystem gamer.

2. The clever strategy you'll read sometimes that by teasing PC gamers with some PS games, it will make them switch platforms to PS5 gaming.

Airbus Jr

Banned
There's two beliefs:

1. It won't. But sales from other platforms is more than any losses from losing a dedicated PS ecosystem gamer.

2. The clever strategy you'll read sometimes that by teasing PC gamers with some PS games, it will make them switch platforms to PS5 gaming.

Seriously no sane PC gamer will jump to PS5 once they knew they can get PS5 game on PC

On the contrary it will push PS gamer to jump to PC

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
this is brilliant.

less reason to buy a console now.

the only reason i haven't sold my PS4 is because of Bloodborne + Persona 5.

Xmengrey

There are some SP games that have MP modes. I'd lean more towards the 6-month to 1-yr gap if I were you.
I agree there is no way they are doing a 3 year gap for PS5 exclusives.
Next-Gen if this gen is anything to go off of will end in 2027-2028
They won't be waiting 3 years each exclusive release
6 months to 1 year absolutely
Though I think what's going to happen especially for Sony to get any valuable analytical data.
They are going to within the first 3 years of the generation do 6-1 year exclusivity
They'll see if their hardware sales improve substantially
They'll see if Microsoft hardware sales are at all hampered much by them putting their games on PC day and date
If their hardware sales don't improve or the decrease is very minimal then they'll just do day and date.
As while they still want to sell hardware to people it's clear the console and PC audience are very different from each other so it's not a big deal.

CAB_Life

Only the staunchest console warriors care about this shit. As you get older (with the exception of being like Timdog, I suppose) you have less fealty toward companies and their plastic than towards the artists who create your entertainment. I welcome—finally—the era of mass multi and cross platform gaming. I was hoping we’d achieve this feat last gen, but it seemed we were just laying the groundwork for the next.

P.S. Who is the PlayStation equivalent of Timdog? I’m doing a vid on fanboyism and I’m trying to pick a worthy counterpart.

Myths

Um... I'm a PC gamer... if the PS5 is cheaper than upgrading my PC to equivalent level why wouldn't I jump to it?
You sell your components at a fraction of the original cost and combine it with what you would have bought a new console for. I was certain that’s the typical upgrade path for PC users.

It's funny that they said they realized the PS4 Pro because they noticed that mid gen a lot of people switch to PC just to get extra power, and they wanted those players back.
But now they're making decisions that will push those same players to PC anyway. I think everyone should at least consider it, since in PS5 you will only have Sony games and multiplats, in Xbox you only get Microsoft games and multiplats, but in PC you will get everything (plus PC exclusives like Half Life Alyx) and with better performance.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Gran Turismo on PC would be a dream come true for me. I’d probably go PC-only again next gen and skip the PS5 altogether if this happened. They’d finally be able to have in-game ray tracing. :messenger_sunglasses:

Robins

They may use this to push new PS5 games.

You enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn on PC?

Buy a PS5 if you want to play number 2...

VFXVeteran

Banned

CyberPanda

Banned
You know, all Sony has to do it make it so you buy the PS5 version, which gives you "rights" to then play on PC.

Think of it like a linked account. If you buy a PS5, there should be a seperate store front on PC and any game you buy can be played on both.
Why would they do that? They will make you pay full price for both versions, which in return will maximize their profits.

Kumomeme

dont jump yet...HZD pc version not even officially confirmed ...just rumors...even if it true, assuming the game list coming to pc didnt stop at that...and i doubt sony would port every exclusive on pc...they might keep certain title exclusive to ps5

and the job listing, similliar one being posted 2 years ago..and various job listing at other place (ex. nintendo) also mentioned DX12, Vulkan requirements...its called job listing requirement..also they might be something to do with streaming services in future

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
dont jump yet...HZD pc version not even officially confirmed ...just rumors...even if it true, assuming the game list coming to pc didnt stop at that...and i doubt sony would port every exclusive on pc...they might keep certain title exclusive to ps5

and the job listing, similliar one being posted 2 years ago..and various job listing at other place (ex. nintendo) also mentioned DX12, Vulkan requirements...its called job listing requirement..also they might be something to do with streaming services in future

Except that I know what you just said is false.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Except that I know what you just said is false.
Errrrrr, 5 second google search for Naughty Dog job in 2017. I guess they've been prepping for PC for quite a while, not that the skills are transferable or anything.....

VwudsYL.jpg

Leads to...

Requirements & Skills:
  • Familiarity with OpenGL, DirectX, or other rendering APIs

Errrrrr, 5 second google search for Naughty Dog job in 2017. I guess they've been prepping for PC for quite a while, not that the skills are transferable or anything.....

VwudsYL.jpg

Leads to...

Requirements & Skills:
  • Familiarity with OpenGL, DirectX, or other rendering APIs
Besides that, ND's been teasing some MP project too, and given the article at the top of this thread even made specific mention of MP titles being among those considered for a wider release... idk, I smell a lot of conclusion-jumping all around here.

(Plus I'd think they'd need more than a single person with this experience if they were looking to do a full port job.)

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Seriously no sane PC gamer will jump to PS5 once they knew they can get PS5 game on PC

Yep. I'm not a fan of Microsoft's exclusive games portfolio but there were a few games that had my interest. But since all their games hit the PC, there is no reason for me to ever buy an Xbox. The games I did want, I bought on Steam. (Ori, Cuphead, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, ReCore). The thing is, if MS hadn't brought their games over to PC, I could have been tempted to buy an Xbox One. But then I would have bought more games on Xbox to justify the hardware purchase. That's how these things work.

Well to be fair, Shawn said SOME titles. As in, "give them a taste of what we do and they'll want more".

At least I think that's where the line of thinking behind that presumed "strategy" comes from.

Last edited:
Thinking that all PS exclusives are coming to PC, at launch, with full mod support is delusional in my opinion. We've yet to see what kind of PC support Sony will offer, if any. Salt grains are good for you :messenger_grinning_smiling:

VFXVeteran

Banned
This guy may be vetted, but your unbiased opinion will always trump fake, biased info.

My info is not fake nor is it biased. It is what it is. I don't "wish" these decisions into existence so that I can sit back and gloat. Back in 2017, your argument would have some validity, but we are in 2020 and whatever it's past requirements were then with whatever projects is not representative of what they need now on the current/future projects. That's all I'll say about that.

Last edited:

Shmunter

My info is not fake nor is it biased. It is what it is. I don't "wish" these decisions into existence so that I can sit back and gloat. Back in 2017, your argument would have some validity, but we are in 2020 and whatever it's past requirements were then with whatever projects is not representative of what they need now on the current/future projects. That's all I'll say about that.
Yeah yeah, your bias is only trumped by your complete inability to disguise your motives. Couldn’t care less apart from the fact that some members may be unaware and be falling for it.

Neofire

There's two beliefs:

Both theories are borderline asinine.

Yeah let's risk releasing our main Playstation console sellers to pc and "hope" enough people buy it to make for the individuals that leave the ecosystem.

And getting a PC to jump to Playstation when he or she knows the games will come to pc anyway and be superior? 🤣 Okay

Also buying a game few games made by Sony does not mean you are part of the Playstation ecosystem, especially when some people wish that the developer wasn't tethered to Sony to begin with.

Neofire

Well to be fair, Shawn said SOME titles. As in, "give them a taste of what we do and they'll want more".

At least I think that's where the line of thinking behind that presumed "strategy" comes from.
Yeah Microsoft tried that too and pc gamers demanded that games be released on PC and same day as the Xbox version.

PC gamers aren't stupid, they aren't going to just be milked like some doddering cow. All because Sony wants to try and siphon a few more dollars.

I don't mind pc versions of some games but not at the expense of robbing the Playstation platform of what made/makes it unique to buy in the first place.

Psykodad

Banned
Old news, but it sounds more like mp games, like Layden himself said.

Latest rumors pointing towards TLOU 2 Factions and Killzone: Breach.

I know there are already a few threads on this topic, but I thought I would start one where the words aren't from a journalist or an "insider" but from the horses mouth.

this is an old article and his said this(the title is a bit misleading):
'
'exclusive titles will still be a part of the strategy, but some games, particularly noting multiplayer ones suited to PC, may see a broader distribution'
'

I hope that's the case because I want full focus on my console for the big exclusives. The recipe for success.

I also remember that you used to make threads to downplay PS exclusives. Now you often open new threads showing positive interest in them to have pc ports, indirectly highlighting their value.

P.S. Industry Professional?
:messenger_halo:

Last edited:
GOOD

this how it should always have been

some people don't want a full blown gaming PC, and that's fine, they'll sit on the fucking couch and eat potato chips, fart, get up to pee and perhaps heat up a frozen burrito full of sodium while they masturbate in front of the microwave and then come back to play games in front of the couch using a hand-held controller compatible with their respective console

wtf was i talking about

we should all have access

Top Bottom