• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future of Final Fantasy XI press conference ended [OP updated with details]

ZetaEpyon

For anyone who's thinking of returning or picking this up to experience it for the first time, we've got a thread over in community with a lot of information:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=844328

You are, of course, also all welcome to join us on Sylph if you don't have a home server, or all your friends have moved on from the game. Let one of us know, and we'll be happy to get you a pearl for the IHOP linkshell.

We're also planning on creating a new thread once there's more information about Rhapsody, so look for that as well.

who is suposed to be the one in the middle?
I would be willing to bet that this is some form of Altana herself.

Taruranto

Too bad we'll never see the southern continent lol.

I hope the storyline for the final event isn't too silly. What they did for Apocalypse Nigh was rather lame.

Eh, I liked Apocalypse Nigh. I don't have much hope for this kind of stories, though.

Didn't Abyssea rape the lore already anyway? You know with
Promathia turning into a dragoon god into an alternate vana or something. (After all the deal with the two vana in WotG).

Ferr986

I would be willing to bet that this is some form of Altana herself.

But Altana should look vastly diferent, like the Amano arts or
Lilith final form.

Hell, Altana should probably look like an Aern.

Didn't Abyssea rape the lore already anyway? You know with
Promathia turning into a dragoon god into an alternate vana or something. (After all the deal with the two vana in WotG).

Didnt play Abyssea but for what I did read the story seems terrible. Same as the crystal addon thingy. Overall the add-ons had bad stories (except the Shantotto one, but only because Shantotto is awesome).

ZetaEpyon

High-res version of the poster:
1fc57ae3c63a713f29eade5831f87a9d.jpg

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Abysses didn't rape any lore. It was an alternate timeline where in the battle with Promathia, you died. You failed to defeat it and it when on to savage the world. Wong of the Goddess was also an alternate timeline but was one that could effect your present.

A final main scenario for FFXI huh? Man, I want to see it...

Portalbox

I think you'd find a lot of people disagreeing with you that Chains of Promathia had a bad story...

Chains of Promathia is not an add-on, though.

He's referring to the 3 mini expansions (Crystalline Prophecy/Moogle Kupo d'Etat/Shantotto Ascension) and the 3 "battle" expansions (Abyssea) that they released.

Ferr986

I think you'd find a lot of people disagreeing with you that Chains of Promathia had a bad story...

As Portalbox said, I was refering to the mini add-ons (Abyssea, Crystaline Prophecy, etc..)

The expansions itself are great. Hell, I consider the XI-RoTZ-CoP storyline (I really consider them as one) one of the best FF stories.

Abysses didn't rape any lore. It was an alternate timeline where in the battle with Promathia, you died. You failed to defeat it and it when on to savage the world. Wong of the Goddess was also an alternate timeline but was one that could effect your present.

It made no sense that Promatia turns into Shynriu though.
Also, I remember the WoTG alternate timeline to be a creation of Altana, right? but in Abyssea we have... even more timelines?

Although honestly I think it's more fault of messing with timelines in the story, that never goes right.

weird to know the day is really coming. The day I take a seat on blueblade fell, turn Memoro d'la s^tona on, throw my feet up on the desk and just wait a few more minutes

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
In that poster, shouldn't Maat be a giant shadow, looming over all. He's still the baddest Mofo around, right?

Right?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
SE was pretty good at remembering old characters, since they still had my original character when I came back on that big Welcome Back campaign a few years back. That way, if I do come back, can feasibly start in on some of the higher level stuff.

ZetaEpyon

SE was pretty good at remembering old characters, since they still had my original character when I came back on that big Welcome Back campaign a few years back. That way, if I do come back, can feasibly start in on some of the higher level stuff.

Yeah, I don't think they've done any inactive character purging in a very, very long time, so you should still be able to use your old character if you decide to come back.

Seigyoku

Oh my goodness, the OT "questions about project" thread is a non-stop example of how schools have failed to teach reading comprehension!

Help!

Jomjom

Banned
Anyone know where i can read or watch the entire FFXI story up till now?

Stopped playing right before abyssea. I've forgotten a lot of the details of the story before abyssea and would also love to read up on what's happened since.

Also is there anyway to tell if your character is still active in the world? I gave my account away but if it's not being used at all I'd maybe consider reactivating.

Baleoce

I find it curious in that poster that Tenzen and Selh'teus are so prominently positioned.
I wonder if that unknown character in the middle is the reincarnation of Phoenix? It's been a while, but a remnant of Phoenix lives in Tenzens blade, and also Phoenix allied with Selh'teus at one point. So I don't think it's a coincidence.
Then of course you have the flames. Feel free to correct me on this as I'm very out of touch with current lore.

Taruranto

Didn't Atomos try to shallow Vana because two timelines were causing an imbalance or something? But suddenly more timelines are fine? More so, the two timelines only existed because of Althena intervention, not because time works like in the Chrono series.

Also
CoP made a point of Promathia was the God of death and wanted to die (with the emptiness consuming everything?), but suddenly it turns out him winning means he turns into a Dragon God? I mean, I can concede the "alternate timeline" thing, but this is freacking silly.

I'm gonna be the guy who embarrasses himself and admits he's kinda interested in seeing the mobile version

This of course is coming from someone who hasn't played this in 9 years

So no single player version?

no and people need to stop thinking this will ever come to fruition

it would need to be completely overhauled for a single player experience which would have never happened to begin with since there's basically a skeleton group (barebones) maintaining the game as is

that's a lot of work and time-let alone money I imagine SE's willing to put into a game that who knows if they'd break even.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
no and people need to stop thinking this will ever come to fruition

it would need to be completely overhauled for a single player experience which would have never happened to begin with since there's basically a skeleton group (barebones) maintaining the game as is

that's a lot of work and time-let alone money I imagine SE's willing to put into a game that who knows if they'd break even.

Oh. Okay :(

ZetaEpyon

I mean, if the goal is simply to experience the story without needing to find parties and get people to do things, you can pretty much do that now, with the exception of a few missions in the latest expansion.

Obviously, it's not a "proper" single-player experience, since it's soloing in an MMO and things are still structured in a certain way, but it's absolutely doable within a pretty reasonable timeframe.

Shouta

Single Player FFXI isn't just about experiencing the story, it's about being able to play the game offline, without intrusions, at your own pace, no monthly fee, etc.

I'd love to have it someday to give the game a bit of permanence.

Tagyhag

I can't believe people were expecting an offline version.

Either way, it's just crazy that they're still supporting the game.

Reveirg

Single Player FFXI isn't just about experiencing the story, it's about being able to play the game offline, without intrusions, at your own pace, no monthly fee, etc.

I get that.

I know most of vanilla XIV sucked but part of me wishes we could still play it somehow, one day. It's the only mainline FF we can't play anymore.

ViciousDS

Banned
I get that.

I know most of vanilla XIV sucked but part of me wishes we could still play it somehow, one day. It's the only mainline FF we can't play anymore.

Private server with adjusted gains not insane would be great. Only problem with ffxiv was its lack of stuff to get to the real content. Leveling was such a bore and terrible.

Loona

In that poster, shouldn't Maat be a giant shadow, looming over all. He's still the baddest Mofo around, right?

Right?

Atori-Tutori might disagree with that depiction.

Also, is it me or the mystery lady's weapon sort of feels like an energy scythe?... Maybe the sense of doom from today just makes me see it that way...

Darryl

Banned

Yea, kinda like having old retro carts. I've been coming back to FFXI for like 10 years now. Infrequently, but it's sad thinking that maybe if I went 3 years without playing it the game would just be gone. Playing the game is so natural to me, as depressing and strange as that emotion feels. If they aren't going to supersede the games properly, it'd be nice if they just let us keep the original.

The news that active development is coming to an end really hit me hard. I haven't even played the game much over the last couple years but the game was a huge part of my twenties. I have hundreds upon hundreds of days of playtime invested in my character. I've met countless people and spent even more time on message boards talking about the game. I have so many fond memories of my time playing, and it all came rushing back when I read today's news.

While I'm sure the game will carry on for a while after the story ends, as far as I'm concerned today is the end. I can't imagine investing more time in something like an MMO when the end is in sight. As pathetic as it sounds, it almost brings tears to my eyes thinking about it.

RuGalz

crazy to think that it's coming to an end. FF11 is probably the only MMO I have played seriously and probably the only one in my life time o_O

Arzehn

Pretty disappointed in the outcome!
The finality of Rhapsodies rubs me the wrong way. :( But it sounds like they will keep the servers up for a good while longer. PS2 and 360 dropping in 2016, so I'd think PC will last much longer, thinking at least 2017, probably 2018.

Genuinely surprised about no mergers.

The mobile FFXI sounds really weird though. Why Nexon Korean? It's different enough that I can't import my character? Will the missions be the same? Will have to see.

Last thing I would have ever guessed would have been 2 mobiles games revealed at this thing, lol. SE gonna SE.

Stimpack

It does sound appealing, but I just honestly can never see something like that happening. I honestly don't understand where that idea came from and why it continued to float around. Would it be the first instance of an MMO having a single player conversion? I feel like it may have happened once in the past, but I can't remember. Also, I wouldn't really count KoA.

That aside, the mobile stuff sounds.... peculiar. I'll have to read up more about it. I honestly think I'm okay with anything they want to do with FFXI. I want that game to flourish as much as possible.

Khrno

I honestly don't understand where that idea came from and why it continued to float around.
From the very first days. People that didn't like the mmo part but still all the good things the game had.

Or even from the same players that got tired from the multiplayer aspect, from the community or from gaving to deal with all the bullshit there was around (rmt, botters, mpk, etc), and still wanted to play the game but couldn't enjoy it anymore because of pepole.

Moonkeis

The news that active development is coming to an end really hit me hard. I haven't even played the game much over the last couple years but the game was a huge part of my twenties. I have hundreds upon hundreds of days of playtime invested in my character. I've met countless people and spent even more time on message boards talking about the game. I have so many fond memories of my time playing, and it all came rushing back when I read today's news.

While I'm sure the game will carry on for a while after the story ends, as far as I'm concerned today is the end. I can't imagine investing more time in something like an MMO when the end is in sight. As pathetic as it sounds, it almost brings tears to my eyes thinking about it.

Out of all the MMOs I've played through over the years, FFXI has really been the only one where I've made friends that I still keep in contact with to this day. From the states, Thailand, Japan, and Canada, that is part of the FFXI experience I really enjoyed.

Top Bottom