• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future of Final Fantasy XI press conference ended [OP updated with details]

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nothing lasts forever.

In a funny way I'm almost happy that after all these years, the end finally is in sight. Obviously its a bittersweet feeling, but expecting the game to go on endlessly was never realistic.

All I know is when the lights finally do go out, probably in 2017, I will do my best to be there.

I owe myself that, its been a hell of a ride.

Nothing lasts forever.

In a funny way I'm almost happy that after all these years, the end finally is in sight. Obviously its a bittersweet feeling, but expecting the game to go on endlessly was never realistic.

All I know is when the lights finally do go out, probably in 2017, I will do my best to be there.

I owe myself that, its been a hell of a ride.
emotional_hug_by_sonnerose-d4tqky3.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Liveblog translation:

https://www.reddit.com/live/ulcuizv117qp/

Matsuda was just thanking the players, and will be showing off a lot of things today.

https://www.reddit.com/live/ulcuizv117qp/updates/a09a017e-ce09-11e4-b320-22000b3395fe

Dying at this. Oh, 2chan.

So, no Free to Play announcement from what I'm seeing. Shame, but I guess FF11 will be one (along with 14) of the series I will never play. Oh well, Square. No big deal, not like I wanted to play your title without monthly fees or anything.

Laws00

My mom got me the game for 360

My friend got me the game with the HD/internet thingy

It was ok. It wasn't for me though.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
https://www.reddit.com/live/ulcuizv117qp/updates/a09a017e-ce09-11e4-b320-22000b3395fe

Dying at this. Oh, 2chan.

So, no Free to Play announcement from what I'm seeing. Shame, but I guess FF11 will be one (along with 14) of the series I will never play. Oh well, Square. No big deal, not like I wanted to play your title without monthly fees or anything.

If monthly fees are all that kept you away, you've missed out on some of the best gaming ever created - no hyperbole. Doesn't just apply to 11, but the whole genre. This is the one reason that always irked me as to why people don't play an mmo. The cost to value is insane, especially considering that even this many years later mmo prices have stayed stagnant. $12-15 gets you so much less in the real world now than it did back in 1999-2004, and yet people still get hung up on that even when mmo content now is leagues beyond what it used to be back then.

Valnen

If monthly fees are all that kept you away, you've missed out on some of the best gaming ever created - no hyperbole. Doesn't just apply to 11, but the whole genre. This is the one reason that always irked me as to why people don't play an mmo. The cost to value is insane, especially considering that even this many years later mmo prices have stayed stagnant. $12-15 gets you so much less in the real world now than it did back in 1999-2004, and yet people still get hung up on that even when mmo content now is leagues beyond what it used to be back then.

Pretty much. Once you get hooked on an MMO you find yourself needing to spend less and less money on gaming in general, honestly. Since you always have a game to go back to.

duckroll

Based on FFXI...so something like they did for the DS with FFXII but an MMO?

F497F1B71F16F510442F5F36A462F11668A967C6_large.jpg

Depends on what you're asking about? Grandmasters is comparable to Revenant Wings, sure. It's a spin-off set in the same world, but it's not FFXI. The Nexon one on the other hand is meant to be a full port of FFXI onto smartphones with various changes to the gameplay to make it easier to play on phones and tablets.

Sevyne

That's simply not true for everyone. If you have a really busy life and not much time to play these kinds of games, then paying a sub is simply not worth the content value. This is why many folks would play if it were a F2P model. They like what they see, but cant justify the monthly cost when they'd only get to play so little per month. To shun these people is ridiculous in itself. You have to look at things from more than your own perspective.

Not saying they should have gone F2P btw. I really do agree that MMOs have great value, BUT only if you have the time to make it worth it. I used to play a lot myself, and it was some of the best money I've ever spent on a hobby. Now though? Not so much.

Nope, XII is the sequel. XI -> XII. Dur. ;)

But seriously, I'm just curious what remaining players consider to be better than XIV and worth sticking around for.

It always felt like an actual ff mmo to me. The way you performed combat was exactly like ff1-10 were you selected your ability or just clicked attack waited for the mob to do his thing then did yours again. It also had a world that felt really cool, dangerous, and was quiet expansive bigger than ff14 in a lot of ways. FF14 lost a lot of the charm of ff11 and ended up playing morel ike wow than Final fantasy. They also got rid of the goofy spells that made travelling interesting like deoderize(made you not smell) so any creature that operated by smell wouldn't notice you.

pooptest

It always felt like an actual ff mmo to me. The way you performed combat was exactly like ff1-10 were you selected your ability or just clicked attack waited for the mob to do his thing then did yours again. It also had a world that felt really cool, dangerous, and was quiet expansive bigger than ff14 in a lot of ways. FF14 lost a lot of the charm of ff11 and ended up playing morel ike wow than Final fantasy. They also got rid of the goofy spells that made travelling interesting like deoderize(made you not smell) so any creature that operated by smell wouldn't notice you.

I stopped playing FFXI just before Seekers came out, but I used Deodorize exactly 0 times. Sneak and Invis were pretty much the only travel spells you needed (well, that, and teleport spells). It was funny that they had Deodorize, however.

Anyways, glad to hear this game is getting a conclusion. It's well deserved. I ultimately enjoyed my time in XI far more than XIV. As many have said earlier in this thread, XIV lacks the heart and charm that XI had an abundance of. So many old friends.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
That's simply not true for everyone. If you have a really busy life and not much time to play these kinds of games, then paying a sub is simply not worth the content value. This is why many folks would play if it were a F2P model. They like what they see, but cant justify the monthly cost when they'd only get to play so little per month. To shun these people is ridiculous in itself. You have to look at things from more than your own perspective.

Not saying they should have gone F2P btw. I really do agree that MMOs have great value, BUT only if you have the time to make it worth it. I used to play a lot myself, and it was some of the best money I've ever spent on a hobby. Now though? Not so much.

everyone has their own situation, sure, I can't address every possible one. There are plenty of people though who pass on mmos simply because of the fee.. Even if you played the game for 5 hours a month you would get your money's worth.. considering for most people $10-15 is a 15 minute lunch meal. Everyone values money differently but there are clearly people who dont understand the value proposition for an mmo. Their loss.

Baleoce

I stopped playing FFXI just before Seekers came out, but I used Deodorize exactly 0 times. Sneak and Invis were pretty much the only travel spells you needed (well, that, and teleport spells). It was funny that they had Deodorize, however.

I rarely used deoderize so to speak, but I'd often lose aggro on something using puddles of water, like Crawlers. For some reason I always just assumed this was a scent thing.

dramatis

Woke up and this is the first thing I checked. I'm not particularly surprised by the end of life announcement, but I'm surprised at the Nexon collaboration (not so much the mobile thing...). Of course a single player version of 11 would have been interesting, but it probably wouldn't have made as much money as the project they're going with right now.

Here's to hoping they can get the execution right...

Varna

LOL. The dreams of a single player game get turned into a single player mobile game. Life is just cruel.

Even in my nightmares I didn't expect this... though I shouldn't have been surprised. These are the same guys that gave us a mobile remake of FF6 after all.

EDIT: Maybe we will eventually get a port of this mobile version...

Ploid 3.0

I only did it once with FF11 (subbed for years), and after that I don't want to sub to another one because it feels like something I invested so much time into is locked behind a ransom. Also the sub games seem designed around keeping you paying with time sinks and lockouts. People give F2P stuff a hard time but ignore the things sub based games do.

I like the way Guild Wars 2 is set up, nothing seem to be designed around keeping you paying, and getting around was fast even without mounts. I don't feel any pressure to play to get my moneys worth, and I can go back to it whenever I feel like it. Yet without subs they still put content out for that game on a biweekly bases iirc.

Baleoce

Even though there's going to be no more major updates for XI as we know it, the discontinuation of the console version could be a good thing for the game. They said they'd be doing Quality of Life and balance updates for the PC version going forward. So maybe without the consoles shackling it down it'll finally allow them to throw in a bunch of stuff they were never previously able to do?

In some ways that news in itself could have more impact than any major update could have. That's my positive take on it at least.

Toth

Even though there's going to be no more major updates for XI as we know it, the discontinuation of the console version could be a good thing for the game. They said they'd be doing Quality of Life and balance updates for the PC version going forward. So maybe without the consoles shackling it down it'll finally allow them to throw in a bunch of stuff they were never previously able to do?

In some ways that news in itself could have more impact than any major update could have. That's my positive take on it at least.

It's a good take on it, especially. As most of us know, FFXI's code has reached its limits due to ps2 and xbox 360 limitations. The new version on mobile may give it an actual chance to grow. The key is if those changes will be compatible with the mobile version.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The funny thing is that noone really expected Seekers Of Adoulin, especially after Abyssea 3 years previously basically seemed like an end-of-line blowout to finish the game off.

The question remains as to whether this final 3-part expansion is going to fulfill the same function Abyssea did. I'd imagine it will offer some seriously long-term challenge in order to encourage PS2/360 owners to stick around past the shutdown of those services next year.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The funny thing is that noone really expected Seekers Of Adoulin, especially after Abyssea 3 years previously basically seemed like an end-of-line blowout to finish the game off.

The question remains as to whether this final 3-part expansion is going to fulfill the same function Abyssea did. I'd imagine it will offer some seriously long-term challenge in order to encourage PS2/360 owners to stick around past the shutdown of those services next year.

I have little doubt Abyssea was meant to be the end. I think SE was fully expecting everyone to jump ship to FFXIV.

frequency

Am I missing something?
Why end PS2/XB360 versions if you're done adding content to the game anyway?
Ending those to support only PC would indicate to me that they were going to add content without PS2 limitations. But PS2/XB360 versions are ending service after Rhapsodies of Vana'diel.

Nosgotham

Sweet. I think nexon is a good fit. Love vindictus.

I just hope in the new game, I can enter ronfaure and listen to the same glorious music

Baleoce

Am I missing something?
Why end PS2/XB360 versions if you're done adding content to the game anyway?
Ending those to support only PC would indicate to me that they were going to add content without PS2 limitations. But PS2/XB360 versions are ending service after Rhapsodies of Vana'diel.

Yeah, one last expansion for everyone. Then kill console version, improve PC version for those who still want to play. Pretty much about it. Console players still have a decent bit of time to go through the new expansion. I'm guessing the PS2 version of the expansion will be a JP only release once again, like SoA.

Desi

i4s7PNrRSQKmd.jpg

Also, this is a really cool poster. I'd pay for a blown up version of this xD
who drew that? doesn't look anything like the main FFXI art team. Looks like a anime movie

Still its fucked that we still haven't seen north vanadiel and the far east...

Erasus

So, they are making a mobile version of FFXI. This will probably be free or buy to play (no sub)

Sooooooo will they keep the sub on PC?

Boss Man

FF14 is more fun to play and way less stressful, but FF11 is an incredibly well-crafted game with much more interesting mechanics and a hell of a lot more attention to detail.

I'm an adult now and there's no way I could play a game like what FF11 was with my schedule, but it sure was a lot more special than any other game I've ever played.

I don't think anything will ever live up to it for me. No other game feels "alive" like FF11 did.

Depends on what you're asking about? Grandmasters is comparable to Revenant Wings, sure. It's a spin-off set in the same world, but it's not FFXI. The Nexon one on the other hand is meant to be a full port of FFXI onto smartphones with various changes to the gameplay to make it easier to play on phones and tablets.

I just don't get why they have both? Will Nexon be subscription based and Grandmasters be more typical F2P pricing? It seems like launching two FFXI mobile MMOs around the same time (with one the clearly superior option) is pointless.

Alchemy

11 on mobile doesn't make sense with a sub, and having a F2P mobile MMO (assuming it actually is 11) makes the PC sub not make sense... I'm confused.

Top Bottom