• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future Mario Games to Incorporate the Movie Designs

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

All of this comes from Zippo, who is a leaker with an iffy track record. It's hard to pinpoint exactly, but maybe half of their leaks have been proven true over time. They are usually attached to Nintendo products, with this Mario movie design adoption being one of three major rumors to come from this source. One of these is that a Nintendo Direct will take place soon, but that's an easy guess. Nintendo almost always kicks a new year off with a Direct presentation.

Mario products such as toys and video games will gradually adopt design elements from the movies, including the brother's updated outfits. As proof of this, Zippo posts an image of a Mario toy where, upon close inspection, it's clear that Mario has the shoelaces from the movie. This would imply stuff like the proportions of Mario's face could change over the coming years, though it's doubtful that this means Chris Pratt could play Mario in future, non-movie products. Rumors such as these should be taken with a healthy grain of salt, as even if Zippo's leak is true now and this is the plan, plans change. Surely, the Super Mario Bros. Movie's reception will weigh in on such decisions to some degree one way or another, after all.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Super Mario Luigi GIF by Sound FX

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I could see them trying one game like that. Anything beyond that is fantasy until they see the reception. And honestly, I don't think they'd even try one game like that.

Holammer

Nope dream on, that's so stupid it burns.
The redesigns for the movie are done so Universal/Illumination can produce their own licensed movie merch, the old "25% different chestnut".

716e78f5-2d2d-43af-97fc-bd4d229127de_text.gif

How Zippo imagines Nintendo's reaction to the new designs.

That Mario toy was sold with the opening of Universal Studio Japan's Super Nintendo World area. That was back in February 2021, and likely produced way before that. I doubt the shoelaces have anything to do with the movie.

In other words: seems fake.

MagnesD3

I wouldnt be surprised, especially with donkey kong, I personally think the new design looking closer to miyamoto's original donkey kong work is a way to try to reclaim his old character design, miyamoto probably hates that his design wasnt the beloved one over the Rare DKC look.. damn westerners ruining MY franchise.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I would be thrilled if the next game was titled:

Mario: The Movie: The Game

Starring: Mario (based on the movie, from the game)

Top Bottom