• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUCK!!! Those graphic card prices are insane

I just checked pcpartpicker after the latest Linus video.

5w25PsS.png

They also sell a 1660 TI for 700 Dollars now. I paid 250 Dollars two years ago during black friday for my spare pc. This is crazy.
Unless you're independently wealthy or mad, you really shouldn't be buying at these prices. Unfortunately it's going to take best part of a year before prices get back to where they should be.

HE1NZ

Banned
I've upgraded somewhat needlessly from 1070 to 2070S in '19, because turned out the bottleneck was RAM, not GPU. I feel really lucky now.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
How long does it have to go on before it becomes the norm? Nvidia have already hinted the shortages could last up to late 2022, which in turn could keep this going through 2023.

We'd be at roughly a quarter of a console generation where the average PC Gamer can not upgrade for MSRP.

It can't become the norm because it'll kill PC gaming deader than a door nail.

It won't be a graphics card industry it'll be a cryptomining industry.

Wouldn't be surprised if the large publishers don't step in and try to do something. Then again they'd rather have you playing on console, so maybe this ultimately works towards their advantage.

Last edited:

dcx4610

Meanwhile XSX and PS5 are going for $750-1000. These are not normal prices. We are dealing with COVID, chip shortages and demand. It might take another year but things will get back to normal.

To me, the real story is the tech itself. We're pretty much going to have almost 2 full years of people not being able to buy this stuff. By the time we can buy them normally, you're already 2 years into the tech. Do you really want to pay full price for a 3090 when a 4090 will be around the corner?

For both GPUs and consoles, it almost feels like a lost generation. We should have just waited.

When are things predicted to relax, was planning on building a gaming pc this year but looks like that isn’t happening.

I heard buying from third party pre build companies is cheaper

//DEVIL//

Some really nice guy off Facebook marketplace sold me a brand new Asus 6900xt LC for 200$ Canadian only above the MSRP. the reason for this extra money is because he drove 5 hours from Ottawa to Toronto to pick it up. so i felt that 200$ is really justified.

I had a 3090 before but I actually thought its way overpriced and i didn't really want to spend that kind of money on it. especially when the VRAM temp and the temp of the card was very high for a FTW3 for some reason ( 80 degrees ftw 3? fuck off )

this card though? temp doesn't go above 58 degrees under super heavy gaming. the fans in not-so-demanding games don't even spin on the water cooler because the temps didn't reach hot enough for the fans to spin. what an amazing card.

I am one of those guy who never turned on ray tracing because in most cases i cant tell the difference. and the frames is more important to me.

and by default I would love to play on native vs dlss.

gaming at 2k with 144 ips monitor on this is heaven.

Reallink

When are things predicted to relax, was planning on building a gaming pc this year but looks like that isn’t happening.

I heard buying from third party pre build companies is cheaper
Unless crypto and/or the general economy craters, it won't relax until new silicon fabs are built (which will take years). Demand is dozens of times higher than the current world wide peak production capacity, and can not be increased without new plants coming online. There will either have to be an exponential increase in supply (again, a multi-year construction and design process), or an exponential decrease in demand (Crypto's increasing value means there is effectively limitless and ever increasing demand).

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
Availability should be determined by a person's last name in alphabetical order. My last name is "A". Just "A". Give me my 3090 RTX, dammit!

I guess on the bright side, I can survive on the 2080ti for the rest of this year since there is nothing earth shattering graphics wise that will be released this year.

I would like to say that by that time I should just wait for the 4090 RTX but it will most likely be in the same situation or worse.

Rikkori

Even after supply starts getting flooded, even after crypto-mining dies down again, I think this will be the new normal. Clearly the demand is extraordinary and there's also a lot of inflation occurring. The MSRPs were a joke to begin with and a total marketing exercise not grounded in any kind of reality. Expect x80 GPUs from Nvidia et al to start at $1000 as the new normal. Ironically the only good deals will be from major OEMs who do get their GPUs for the fake MSRP, but that's limited to the US mostly. Everyone else? Bend over and hope Papa Huang's gonna be gentle with you.

n0razi

i sold my used, old GTX 1080ti for NINE HUNDRED FREAKING BUCKS yesterday and running on integrated... I'll take the cash for now until 3X series prices stabilize

I don't know mining, but what is a rough estimate of $ made vs $ spent on electricity for something like a 1660 super?
I thought it cost more in electricity (depending on your rate of course).

manfestival

The 20 series may have been trash but I sure am glad that I still have my 2080 right now. It may not be the gaming experience I was hoping for but it sure is the gaming experience I am keeping considering how garbage the current market is.

Kataploom

Gold Member
This is why I'm srsly thinking no: 1. Get a Series S or PS4, or... 2. Pray for my internet connection to be good enough for XCloud

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I don't know mining, but what is a rough estimate of $ made vs $ spent on electricity for something like a 1660 super?
I thought it cost more in electricity (depending on your rate of course).
Steal electricity

And yes, mining in your parents home while not paying for electricity is also "stealing".

Last edited:

Danknugz

You can buy a pc with a 3090 with less money than buying only the gpu?!
Of course not, but I have a reason to gift someone a pc who I might have anyway.

Edit: I did however get the gpu for far cheaper than if I had paid a scalper of course. I think after doing the math with what the prebuilt pc parts were worth, I ended up paying a 150-250$ premium on top of msrp of 1400

Last edited:

Mentat02

Banned
GPU prices are high. newer CPUs are expensive as hell. if you want a good PSU you need to backorder one. not a good time to build a gaming PC right now.

llien

AMD managed to lose market share
AMD GPUs are sold en mass at well over MSRP, all that "market share" talk is basically about capacity.
NV should be much less constrained by Samsung 8nm fabs than AMD is at TSMC, with a bunch of products, including PS5 ans XSeX to roll off it.

According to Dave James from PC Gamer, the largest online electronics retailers may consider themselves lucky if they receive one or two units of the latest components .

Dave James is full of shit:

Last edited:
Broke down last year and upgraded from a 1060 GTX to a 2060 RTX. Wanted to go 3070 but it I was able to get that for less than $300.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Steal electricity

And yes, mining in your parents home while not paying for electricity is also "stealing".
Son of a bitch. There goes my plans to mine from my mom's basement.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Can't get a ps5.
Can't get an xbox.
Can't get a videocard for a pc.

More money to Nintendo it is, then :messenger_ok:
I have PS5 but I haven't touched it after I finished Atelier Ryza 2, because I mostly played Bravely Default 2 (90 hours) and Monster Hunter Rise (130 hours).

With NieR Replicant ver 1.22 my PS5 finally gonna get some play time.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like PC gaming is going to die soon if this keeps going long enough.
Not die, but building PCs will become niche again like it was in the late 80s/early 90s, but due to prices this time around. I can see the sales of Pre-builts increasing again and I know those companies are rubbing their hands at this ongoing situation of scalpers and miners.

LeBron%2BBirdman.gif

Whoever can make their Pre-built come closest to a console price will win the race.

Not die, but building PCs will become niche again like it was in the late 80s/early 90s, but due to prices this time around. I can see the sales of Pre-builts increasing again and I know those companies are rubbing their hands at this ongoing situation of scalpers and miners.

LeBron%2BBirdman.gif

Whoever can make their Pre-built come closest to a console price will win the race.

Countries need to be on top of their infrastructure. Semiconductor is central to an economy's success in 2021. This is bad planning.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Countries need to be on top of their infrastructure. Semiconductor is central to an economy's success in 2021. This is bad planning.
I agree with you, but ask the CEOs of AMD and Nvidia if they care as they lay on their furniture made of literal 100 dollar bills.

FritzJ92

Those prices have stopped me from building a moderate computer. Was looking at Ryzen 5 build with 16gb of RAM and maybe a 2060 or 5700xt, but the graphic cards and RAM prices are just outrageous, and I know this time next year shit will calm down.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Bought my 3080 gaming trio on launch day for 720 pounds....was offered 2 grand for it the other day. Shit is insane.

Even the cost price of these cards is through the roof.

I can't even imagine what Sony and ms are losing on manufacturing these new consoles.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
...what?
You do realise amd/nvidia aren't setting those prices right? The cards have MSRP, the stores just ignore it for profit.

This is why it's so messed up and the public genuinely believe what you have just written. Everyone is hiking their prices up. Manufacturers, distributors, retailers. Everyone is charging more. Costs are through the roof.

Amd and nvidia can sit pretty with their msrps and muddy the waters but the AIB partner manufacturers are seeing cost increases on the materials to manufacture and have no option but to increase prices, then it' just flows down the chain.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's just silly at this point, pc gaming is being killed off one month at a time. Imagine being a teenager interesting in your first build? Nope - its console gaming for you.

dave_d

Is this happening because of scalpers? Someone please explain.
Not really. Scalpers react to a market where demands far exceeds supply. I'm sure if you had a cartel artificially constrain supply (which is what debeers does) then you'd have a complaint but in this case as it is in pretty much every case the scalpers are an effect of low supply, not causing it.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Costs are through the roof.
You're gonna have show some receipts for this claim, only amd/nvidia know what it costs to manufacture the cards; even if their costs rose by 25%, that absolutely doesn't explain the 200% increase (that means 3x) on some of these cards.
Nah fam, this is stores going :pie_moneyface::pie_moneyface: from mining demand.

I knew this would happen from the beginning because of the ridiculous shortages of the cards from the scalpers. I anticipated that it would stay this way for a long time. Many people thought they could pick on up in early January last year. I told my friends they were wrong. Now they aren't able to get one at all. With crypto going to 63k and no slowdown in sight, this will be the norm for several years. It also means that releasing any new generation like 4000-series boards is going to be far off. I'm guessing 2024 before we see next-gen GPUs.

No, next year. Nvidia has the greatest year ever and competition from amd. New gen cards are always driven by the competition, not other factors. They already outlined their next releases.

Top Bottom