• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUCK!!! Those graphic card prices are insane

VFXVeteran

Banned
Working out for them, AMD managed to lose market share with their most competitive gpu line up in years

While nvidia turned lemons into lemonade.

Doesn't send a good message to them that we want cheaper prices that's for sure.

Way to show that Ampere is a significant jump from Pascal cards as far as technology/performance goes. I keep telling people that mid-gen next-gen consoles won't come close to the capabilities of the RTX 3090.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Nah, admit it. PC gaming is simply not at as cheap as console gaming. I just built a new PC and had to throw my old graphics card in it because of how high the prices are. Without a new card I still spent $1300.

PC gaming is awesome, but cheap it is not.

And it shouldn't be, in comparison to console gaming. A console is a specialized device, a PC is a general purpose device. The fact that the PC can go head to head with a console as a game platform is either a miracle or says a lot about how little effort is put into console performance.

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
Me and my 2080Ti are doing just fine in the meantime. Spending $1300 for a GPU was hard to swallow back in 2018, but then I see what's happening now... No thanks. Thankfully, I won't be looking to upgrade till at least the 4000 series.

We live in an era where pre-built pcs are cheaper than a whole graphics card. I think it's time to sell my full-on dust 1080ti that is somewhere in my room. These prices are getting ridiculous.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Will probably finish up The Witcher 3 and sell my 3070. Gonna be playing mostly WoW TBC Classic on PC for the next year, seems pointless owning one for now when most of the other big games are on PS5 as well.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Will probably finish up The Witcher 3 and sell my 3070. Gonna be playing mostly WoW TBC Classic on PC for the next year, seems pointless owning one for now when most of the other big games are on PS5 as well.
You will regret that decision. The consoles are grossly underpowered compared to the new 3000-series based cards and graphics demands are only going to go up from here. Look at the recent gaming reviews on DF.

You will regret that decision. The consoles are grossly underpowered compared to the new 3000-series based cards and graphics demands are only going to go up from here. Look at the recent gaming reviews on DF.
Here this right here, we are barely into the new "gen" and consoles are already looking not that impressive power-wise. Give it 1 to 2 years and we'll see that our current generation might get another mid-gen refresh/update, but the 3000s will still be more than competitive against the new games. I wouldn't sell it for another 6 months if I were the guy.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I wrote out a post about how it's not gonna be worth it for me as someone who will mostly be tied down to WoW for a while, but then a lightbulb went off and I checked whether RTX will be supported in the Burning Crusade re-release. Looks like it is. Never mind, card is staying.

iQuasarLV

I just checked pcpartpicker after the latest Linus video.

5w25PsS.png

They also sell a 1660 TI for 700 Dollars now. I paid 250 Dollars two years ago during black friday for my spare pc. This is crazy.

Well, according to this forum's membership, we are all old enough to be secure in our careers enough to afford these prices. Right? Right??? So suck it up buttercup, and pull out that wallet cause you're just a cheapskate if you complain about PC prices on this forum.

Last edited:
I recently sold my 980ti for £250 on FB marketplace.... Which is about the average price they are going for on ebay.

I also think that seems about the right price. Doesn't seem to be a price hike on GPUs in the UK?

Well, according to this forum's membership, we are all old enough to be secure in our careers enough to afford these prices. Right? Right??? So suck it up buttercup, and pull out that wallet cause you're just a cheapskate if you complain about PC prices on this forum.
I mean, sure. Everyone with a decent job can afford this. It still doesn't make sense to buy that overpriced shit.

Ribi

fuckiing hell you just reminded me i thought about buying a prebuilt from redux with a 3070 in it to resell the gpu and basically pay for 3/4 of the pc... if i had and sold now i would have gotten a free pc minus a gpu

iQuasarLV

I mean, sure. Everyone with a decent job can afford this. It still doesn't make sense to buy that overpriced shit.
Sheeeeit son. You're just rationalizing. You got the money, buy it. Fuck the price.

Personally, I wish they would go to a car sales model anymore. If the card's cost is more than 49% of your paycheck you cannot afford it and sale denied. Upload that paycheck bitch lets put our money where our mouths are.

MiguelItUp

I know I've mentioned it previously, so if you've seen me say it before, my bad, lmao. But, right before the prices really started getting bad, I sold my 1080 for the price I originally got it for, and then tacked on $100 to get a 2080. It was pretty weird to me.

But yeah, much like the next gen console issues a few months ago. People are price gouging the hell out of GPUs because people ARE buying them. It's completely ridiculous.

If my GPU dies I'm straight up building a PC via CyberPower to get a decent prices GPU, getting a good warranty cause they're iffy AF these days, and calling it a day, lol.

iQuasarLV

I bought a 1650 LP a year ago for 180CAD, and just sold it to someone for 330. I don't know if that makes me a scalper, but someone wanted it for more than I thought it was worth

ccvzrbwha9tx.jpg

I got a 660Ti and a RX470 4GB. Real talk, what can I sell these for? I feel like I can unload old tech for a hell of a profit Lord of War style.

Needlecrash

A few months ago, I paid $900 (buyer bought it at this cost plus shipping and insurance for) a new 3080. Bought it from a user from the PC parts discord, who didn't need it as he had a 3070.

A 3080 now runs for over $2,200 on eBay. These prices are insane!

Last edited:

JayK47

Wow. It is getting worse, not better. My GPU needs to last for years now. If it breaks I am screwed. Not paying over $500 for a GPU. This will kill PC gaming.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
that's what happens when you have zero competition.
This has nothing to do with "competition", this is stores fucking customers over because they want to make a big profit; nvidia/amd don't set these prices.
Go check PS5 prices...
MSRP, i can go into any store that sells them, put myself on a waitlist and pay msrp for it.
The picture in the OP isn't scalpers/ebay, it's actual stores, they are ground zero for trying to make a massive profit.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Its all that stimulus money. People simply cannot afford these cards at those prices in normal times. Unless this whole economic anxiety thing was just a big fat lie, and millennials are swimming in cash.

WakeTheWolf

Despite RX 5700 xt being sold for 800 I decided to sell mine for 550 which was above what I paid fuck being a stingy scalper. And it's why I've gone from pc gaming now if any parts screw up the cost is going to be too much to get back into

LordOfChaos

I got a 660Ti and a RX470 4GB. Real talk, what can I sell these for? I feel like I can unload old tech for a hell of a profit Lord of War style.

Just looking quickly on the Canadian/US ebay 250 for the 470, seems like the 660 isn't going for that much, maybe 100. 350 dollars towards something else though

Now if you're in a country with even more GPU scarcity, you could do better.

I was selected in the queue I put in for with EVGA (in November) yesterday, for one of their 3090 hybrid cards. I really wanted a 3080 but that isn't going to happen, so I bought the 3090 and I guess it was a "deal". Which I guess I can sell....but like, that wouldn't help me get a 3080 and not pay through the nose. I don't want to mine, I just want to play video games man.

Danknugz

Yeah they can fuck themself with these prices.

I wanted to upgrade at the beginning of the year but i'm gonna wait for the next intel cpu and ddr5 rams to come out, maybe by then the prices are gonna be less absurd.
I’m in the same boat. Just had to buy a prebuilt pc to get a 3090, but just taking the card and gifting the pc.

This has nothing to do with "competition", this is stores fucking customers over because they want to make a big profit; nvidia/amd don't set these prices.

MSRP, i can go into any store that sells them, put myself on a waitlist and pay msrp for it.
The picture in the OP isn't scalpers/ebay, it's actual stores, they are ground zero for trying to make a massive profit.
So is there a lack of supply because of manufacturing issues brought on by COVID?

I'm praying my 980Ti survives for another year, to hell with paying these kind of prices for an upgrade. Most likely will have to hold out until the 4000 series and sit there refreshing pre-order pages like a mofo.

YCoCg

I like how some people act like those prices are the norm.
How long does it have to go on before it becomes the norm? Nvidia have already hinted the shortages could last up to late 2022, which in turn could keep this going through 2023.

We'd be at roughly a quarter of a console generation where the average PC Gamer can not upgrade for MSRP.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
So is there a lack of supply because of manufacturing issues brought on by COVID?
There's that, that's certainly a factor.
But there's also a crypto mining resurgence, so demand is doubly high atm.
However amd/nvidia don't set these prices, they sell them to suppliers in bulk for cheap, because they have an MSRP. So it's either suppliers trying to make a big profit when they sell them to stores, or the stores trying to.

It wouldn't even surprise me if the suppliers and stores have some shady deals going so they can maximise profits together.

Top Bottom