• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FSR 2 is now hackable into any game with DLSS 2.0 support.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
List of games with DLSS2 -> FSR2 mod:

Cyberpunk 2077:
https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/3001?tab=description

Dying Light 2:
https://github.com/mnxn/DL2FSR2

It looks like AMD made FSR 2 compatible with the motion vector files from DLSS 2.
This means people can just swap a couple of DLL files, enable DLSS 2 in-game and it will run FSR 2 on their game.

It's been implemented in Cyberpunk 2077 already but the mod's creator is saying it should work on every other game.

https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/3001?tab=description

• Is it possible to add this hack to other games?
Yes, any game that uses DLSS 2.0 should work with this technique (after a bit of work).

This is great news for everyone running games on a Steam Deck, AMD and Intel APUs, AMD and Intel GPUs and older or low-end Geforce non-RTX GPUs.
Temporal upscaling, if working properly, is just free performance to everyone.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

That looks like an interesting thread, but any chance you can add in a native reference image without FSR too? so - assuming the images perfectly align their backgrounds/frustum it would then be possible to difference (the top 2/3rds of) the images for noise analysis, to see if gains in detail are actually closer to native, or false enhancements of the DL algorithm - beyond opinion of what people think is the better looking result - and to see if enhancement in one area damages PSNR in lower frequency areas of the image as a side effect in the comparative versions of FSR.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Reizo Ryuu Reizo Ryuu The first quote doesn't mean anything. Has nothing to do with my comment too. But the second part of your quote is interesting. Does that mean if I run the reg file. That grayed out dlss toggle can be selected ?

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
But cards below 20 series have that dlss option grayed out .. so it's kinda pointless. Who is the idiot that will replace a dlss with inferior product ( no offense )

I don't think you understood what the mod does.
Replace the file and the DLSS option won't be greyed out anymore on any GPU. Selecting DLSS in the game options will get the engine to run FSR 2 instead.

Gamers with RTX cards are better off without this mod, but this was never for them anyway.

op22

My GTX 1080 is able to run Cyberpunk in 4k with about ~45 FPS which is a 2x improvement compared to the native 4k performance while having a very minor quality impact. Also, yes! this is mod is compatible with any AMD, Intel, and Nvidia GPU that can handle Cyberpunk.
Nice. Can't wait to see if it can do anything for my 770.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I guess this is a per game mod and not at driver's level, so Game Pass games can't take any advantage of this

Reizo Ryuu

Reizo Ryuu Reizo Ryuu The first quote doesn't mean anything. Has nothing to do with my comment too.
It has everything to do with your comment, since dlss isn't supported on amd or intel, so the option is always greyed out there. How could the mod be compatible with intel, amd, and sub 2 series nvidia, if you couldn't even enable it?

Banned
I guess this is a per game mod and not at driver's level, so Game Pass games can't take any advantage of this

Microsoft Store games can now be installed like any other game. meaning if the developers aren't doing anything stupid with the files they totally couod work with this

Kataploom

Gold Member
Microsoft Store games can now be installed like any other game. meaning if the developers aren't doing anything stupid with the files they totally couod work with this
But does that apply to every game? Because I thought only if developers wanted

Crayon

I wonder if valve can weave this into proton somehow. I'm sure Nvidia wouldn't be thrilled with just anyone flipping the dlss on.

//DEVIL//

It has everything to do with your comment, since dlss isn't supported on amd or intel, so the option is always greyed out there. How could the mod be compatible with intel, amd, and sub 2 series nvidia, if you couldn't even enable it?
Your first quote was about the mod being supported by all cards manufacturers. But that was given since fsr2 is open source. So no it didn't have anything to do with my comment .

Not saying you are wrong though your comment how it works corrected me. Which is all good.

mhirano

Nice but unfortunately I expect a cease and desist takedown by Nvidia. They wouldn't give away one of them biggest exclusive perks.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Nice but unfortunately I expect a cease and desist takedown by Nvidia. They wouldn't give away one of them biggest exclusive perks.

I don't really get your point. This is not DLSS. Unless I'm mistaken this is for cards where you can't use the superior DLSS option anyway.

ZywyPL

Banned

I think with FSR2 and XeSS being right behind DLSS, NV will either have to offer a significant IQ/performance gains over the two software solutions soon, or resign from Tensor cores all along and use that transistor budget for eg. more RT cores instead.

As great as DLSS 2.X is, it's slowly but surely starting to become less and less relevant while eating up a lot of the die size, which doesn't come cheap. But since 4000 series are right behind the corner, eith newest Tensor core iteration, I guess we will find out very soon.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Cease and desists to who?

The FSR DLL is made by AMD and freely available (The joys of open source)
The DLSS DLL comes with the games.

So who exactly are they gonna tell to stop replacing DLLs when they even let us update DLSS versions by replacing DLSS DLLs.

For anyone with a DLSS capable card DLSS is still the better solution, for people who dont have DLSS capable cards Nvidia dont give a fuck what you are doing cuz you wouldnt be able to use DLSS anyway?

mhirano

Cease and desists to who?

The FSR DLL is made by AMD and freely available (The joys of open source)
The DLSS DLL comes with the games.

So who exactly are they gonna tell to stop replacing DLLs when they even let us update DLSS versions by replacing DLSS DLLs.

For anyone with a DLSS capable card DLSS is still the better solution, for people who dont have DLSS capable cards Nvidia dont give a fuck what you are doing cuz you wouldnt be able to use DLSS anyway?
My bad. I mistakenly thought this was a modification of DLSS code but is more like a wrapper.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
With the settings I'd been using on my 6900XT (3440*1440, RT on everywhere except lighting) I'm getting:

Native: 31 FPS
Quality: 45 FPS
Balanced: 55 FPS
Performance 64 FPS.

I only see discernible visual degradation with Performance, but it's still pretty good.

yamaci17

at this point this should be a cue for devs. its so easy to add that it is even hackable into dlss/taa or whatever.

why not patch it for uself?? farm easy karma points from video gamers, video gamers also benefits, its win win.

op22

Unfortunately it crashed during the loading screen when I set DLSS to auto or performance on my AMD 8350 CPU and GTX 770 with 2 gigs of video ram. The good news is I did get to see Cyberpunk at 3440x1440 on low settings at 4 frames per second and still managed to get a headshot.
VfKmHWS.jpg

Last edited:

Banned
With the settings I'd been using on my 6900XT (3440*1440, RT on everywhere except lighting) I'm getting:

Native: 31 FPS
Quality: 45 FPS
Balanced: 55 FPS
Performance 64 FPS.

I only see discernible visual degradation with Performance, but it's still pretty good.

jesus, RT performance really is just about on the edge of being usable on AMD, isn't it?

Last edited:
For other games, it's simply not as easy is taking the mod files and putting them in the relevant folders, right? I'm curious to try FSR2.0 on Gotg.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
at this point this should be a cue for devs. its so easy to add that it is even hackable into dlss/taa or whatever.

why not patch it for uself?? farm easy karma points from video gamers, video gamers also benefits, its win win.
Youre probably gonna see FSR2.0 at the very least in most major titles going forward, AMD have tried to make it as easy as possible to implement.
What needs to be tested is doing the reverse.
Since FSR2 also needs the engine to report motion vectors it should be possible to replace FSR2 with DLSS2.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
After playing a bit, I found visible ghosting in the back of the car when driving. I don't see this when playing in FPS mode.
Obviously FSR 2 is in its infancy and so is this type of modding/hacking. This is still very promising but there are some issues here.

jesus, RT performance really is just about on the edge of being usable on AMD, isn't it?

Honestly, the game doesn't even look that good even with RT maxed out. Super detailed and accurate shadows don't compensate for the stiff animations and lack of texture/shader detail on secondary NPCs.
The game's visuals excel on darker indoors or night time, but during daytime the characters look pretty bad comparing to your typical UE4 videogames.

Also, the in-game benchmark is a lot more demanding than most of the actual game, so you can safely put +5-10FPS in real-world performance on the numbers I posted.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Techpowerup did a comparison article:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/cyberpunk-2077-fsr-1-0-vs-fsr-2-0-vs-dlss-comparison/

There's also a comparison video of the integrated benchmark.

Unfortunately, that doesn't show the ghosting while driving that I mentioned.
According to them, this was also a problem on earlier versions of DLSS 2.

However, as this mod is not an official implementation, it has some of the issues FSR 1.0 or DLSS 2.4 do not. The most noticeable of those with this FSR 2.0 mod is excessive ghosting while driving a car. The level of these ghosting issues is similar to DLSS 2.1 or even worse in some scenarios, which most people will find quite distracting.

Crayon

Techpowerup did a comparison article:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/cyberpunk-2077-fsr-1-0-vs-fsr-2-0-vs-dlss-comparison/

There's also a comparison video of the integrated benchmark.

Unfortunately, that doesn't show the ghosting while driving that I mentioned.
According to them, this was also a problem on earlier versions of DLSS 2.

1:46 is about the only place you get to see foliage, which is where the difference tends to be more pronounced. Otherwise, FSR2 is closer to DLSS than itr is to FSR1. Edges look a tiny bit more stable and I don't think FSR2 would do as good on the performance mode. Overall though, I'm happy.

Top Bottom