• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frontier CEO David Braben: "Physical games will go away in two to three years"

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The age of physical video games is coming to an end.

That's according to David Braben, founder and CEO of Elite Dangerous studio Frontier Developments, who believes the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the shift towards digital distribution.

Braben shared his thoughts on the virus' impact on the industry during the opening session of today's GamesIndustry.biz Investment Summit Online.

Discussing changes to player behaviour during lockdown in various nations around the world, Braben noted that more and more are turning to digital video games.

"We've seen an acceleration in the transition from physical to digital," he said. "That is a good thing. It's probably two to three years before physical more or less goes away, and it's probably accelerated that timescale a bit."

His comments follow similar insight from Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick, who also told GamesIndustry.biz that he expects the pandemic to accelerate the shift to digital distribution.

However, Zelnick added: "We don't expect physical goods to go away. Nor would we like them to go away."

Following Braben's comments, GamesIndustry.biz publisher Christopher Dring observed that charts data shows digital sales for both PlayStation and Xbox games have increased significantly -- which is "unheard of in a year where new consoles are due to arrive."

Figures from NPD and GfK show that the US and UK markets both saw dramatic increases in sales of physical games last month.

Braben added that the surge in both sales and engagement in games experienced during the lockdown is not necessarily going to diminish completely after precautionary measures are lifted.

"We're very lucky to be in a really great industry where, from a financial point of view, things are going really well," said Braben. "Sales are up, the number of players in our games are up quite substantially, so there's that really positive side [to things].

"Some of this is actually quite sticky. We first saw this in China, where there was quite a big uplift in players during their lockdown back in February. What's interesting is we get foresight of things with China going back to work, and we do see a slightly higher level of sales still persisting than we did beforehand."

He continued: "There's a really strong silver lining here. The difficulty is you don't want to be going, 'Oh, this is all great' because we know some people are finding it hard, some people's partners have been made redundant or are struggling, so there's a balance there. But overall, it's been pretty good for our industry."

Braben also observed, anecdotally, that a lot of consumers have bought consoles for the first time ahead of lockdown, and even when the current crisis has passed, they are likely to continue buying titles for those devices.

"There's evidence that once people become gamers, they're more likely to stay gamers," he said.

A comparison was drawn between games and the other screen industries; while TV and film productions have suffered, games developers and publishers are still able to produce new content while working remotely -- and digital distribution means there are no barriers in reaching their audiences.

This is improving the opinion of the games industry among investors, Braben adds, who see video games as "something of a safe haven" when it comes to investment.

"There's talk of things being a bit recessional afterwards as well, because it might take a while for the wider world to recover from this great big blue," he says. "Historically, our industry -- and alcohol, ironically -- have always been up a bit during times of recession because we're cheap entertainment.

"So we're seen as quite a good port in a storm. There's a lot of positivity towards our industry at the moment."

Last edited:

Stuart360

They wont go away in 2 or 3 years, they will last the whole of next gen, but any future gens will be digital only imo.
I do agree about the Covid problem accelerating it though, its the same with high street shopping. Covid has caused people to basically order online, whether they like it or not, and by the time the whole Covid thing is over, people will be so used to buying online that the end of physical media, and physical shopping, will be much closer than before Covid.
Fucking Covid.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Physical discs will still be around for at least two more gens so probably 15 years minimum. The day physical discs go away is the day you get no more sales and most likely $80 games because they would have no reason to sell games at a discount or put them on sale.

REE Machine

Banned
Thanks. Physical is holding digital back with mandated price parity to keep retail alive and willing to sell games, with street dates that never work, with fixed release dates because of disc production.
Spoiler when all games become digital they will still be the same price because they know people will buy them regardless. I also see way more sales retail wise for games than online as well

Bryank75

Banned
When physical goes, it will hurt the industry, it will weaken how much ownership we as customers have and will make the entire industry less interesting and satisfying. The retail experience / picking up a special or limited edition etc is really nice and should be supported, it's really undervalued.
You think these companies will not take advantage of you not having other options? Don't leave it too late to realize....

Zenaku

Spoiler when all games become digital they will still be the same price because they know people will buy them regardless. I also see way more sales retail wise for games than online as well
Yeah, there may be developers out there who openly state they'd drop the digital price if it weren't for retail, and some of them might actually mean it, but 0% of developers hate having to pocket the retail cut themselves.

Games will still slowly go up in price, we'll still get lots of DLC and we'll move ever closer to that sad day when all games on a system are unusable because the console download servers were turned off. We've already said goodbye to Wiiware, only a matter of time.

Bryank75

Banned
Yeah, there may be developers out there who openly state they'd drop the digital price if it weren't for retail, and some of them might actually mean it, but 0% of developers hate having to pocket the retail cut themselves.

Games will still slowly go up in price, we'll still get lots of DLC and we'll move ever closer to that sad day when all games on a system are unusable because the console download servers were turned off. We've already said goodbye to Wiiware, only a matter of time.
It's up to us to support what we want to preserve in gaming and to boycott anything we see as harmful. We can shape the industry... there is no industry without us. Look at comic books and how they are struggling because they are not catering to their actual audiences needs.

Oddspeak

Same dumb shit was said seven years ago, and a significant portion of the world still has internet too shitty to reliably download 100+ GB games in a timely manner. Or they have monthly caps that'll be half-drained from a single game, which will only get worse when AAA games like Call of Duty start to approach, if not outright pass, 200 GB in size.

Anyone who is, for some reason, eager to get rid of physical media is an utter imbecile.

cryptoadam

Banned
How many PC games do people buy physical ? Steam didnt kill PC deals it probably made it better.

And consoles are basically PCs at this point. MS is pushing game pass GAAS and streaming.

All though Nintendo is to cheap to ever include enough digital storage in their machines so as long as their is Nintendo hardware there will be some sort of physical media.

But if CV sticks around and places like best buys malls and game stops get hurt financially there might be no where to physically buy games. And if your ordering from Amazon you might as well just download it.

jakinov

Lol I remember before this gen started people were saying it was gonna be the last gen with physical. These people keep pushing the goalpost further and further hoping next time they'll be right.
What are they supposed to do? Double down that something they thought was going to happen already can’t happen anymore?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They wont go away in 2 or 3 years, they will last the whole of next gen, but any future gens will be digital only imo.
I do agree about the Covid problem accelerating it though, its the same with high street shopping. Covid has caused people to basically order online, whether they like it or not, and by the time the whole Covid thing is over, people will be so used to buying online that the end of physical media, and physical shopping, will be much closer than before Covid.
Fucking Covid.

This seems the more likely scenario. They may keep disc drives in future gens for HD bluray and whatever its successor will be, but I think game disc releases will be boutique like vinyl.

Bryank75

Banned
Same dumb shit was said seven years ago, and a significant portion of the world still has internet too shitty to reliably download 100+ GB games in a timely manner. Or they have monthly caps that'll be half-drained from a single game, which will only get worse when AAA games like Call of Duty start to approach, if not outright pass, 200 GB in size.

Anyone who is, for some reason, eager to get rid of physical media is an utter imbecile.
Imbecile is an apt word to use. I've seen the same people spout 'anti-consumer' in various threads and then come to this one and want to limit the options available to consumers. It just goes to show that some people will worship a company no matter how rotten their goals are... just to get a short lived 'win'.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I swear I hear this every 2 years and it always turns out to be a wrong prediction. I don't see media you can hold in your hand going away for at least a decade. It may be more limited but there will always be a market for the collector who wants to hold his purchase in his hand.,

Portugeezer

I don't think that any next-gen game will be fully on the disc. They will all need extra downloads, due to size.

Feels pointless collecting physical when they don't even contain the full game.
That is how the industry will apply the lube. Get you nice and ready for when there will be no disc available.

That said, I still believe that is more than 3 years away. Probably a decade even.

Bryank75

Banned
I swear I hear this every 2 years and it always turns out to be a wrong prediction. I don't see media you can hold in your hand going away for at least a decade. It may be more limited but there will always be a market for the collector who wants to hold his purchase in his hand.,
Yup, I have TLOU2 limited edition and GOT collectors to pick up in the next while.... about 300 euro in purchases alone... it pays.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
lol nope

Physical games are doing so well and are so sought after that several boutique brands have popped up in the last generation. Limited Run, Play-Asia, Strictly Limited, etc etc continue bringing more digital-only games to physical.

If this is profitable enough for small boutique stores, it tells me there's enough of a niche to keep selling physical. Heck, there may be certain titles that mostly sell digitally, due to one reason or another.

Physical is here for awhile longer. There's no reason to cut off a profitable revenue stream.

.Pennywise

Banned
They've been away like 10 years ago for me.

Having the disc does not guarantee the game to be yours nor having a 'plug n' play' experience anymore, move on.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
55vdGJy.gif

jakinov

How about re-access the situation and realize how out of touch they are?
They have re-assessed the situation and they have a new prediction. Being out of touch would be for digital to not catch on at all and not for it to grow every year and start to be the most popular way of buying games. More than half of games sold last year were digital on the PS4, 66% for just the last quarter.

Analysts (or people in the industry) are going to get things wrong, as there's a lot of them with different information and opinions. But more importantly anything can happen and they aren't fortune tellers or usually have confidential insider information. Sony and Microsoft both probably contemplated doing disc-less consoles but were probably afraid the other person wouldn't drop it yet; considering digital is now fairly widely adopted, and it cuts out the middle man (i.e. more money for platform owners) so they have a business interest in wanting to do it.

They have re-assessed the situation and they have a new prediction. Being out of touch would be for digital to not catch on at all and not for it to grow every year and start to be the most popular way of buying games. More than half of games sold last year were digital on the PS4, 66% for just the last quarter.

Analysts (or people in the industry) are going to get things wrong, as there's a lot of them with different information and opinions. But more importantly anything can happen and they aren't fortune tellers or usually have confidential insider information. Sony and Microsoft both probably contemplated doing disc-less consoles but were probably afraid the other person wouldn't drop it yet; considering digital is now fairly widely adopted, and it cuts out the middle man (i.e. more money for platform owners) so they have a business interest in wanting to do it.
No having the wrong prediction over and over and over is being out of touch. They have no idea what they are talking about. Its literal insanity, make the same prediction every few years, hoping next time it'll be right.

There is zero chance Sony or Microsoft contemplated going disc-less this gen lol.

Gravemind

I doubt physical copies will be going anywhere anytime soon, but I could honestly care less if they did. I haven't bought a physical game yet this generation, and I doubt I ever will again.

-YFC-

I highly doubt it. As long as there's a viable market for physical, they'll make them. The market for physical is shrinking, no one can question that, but it still sells, not huge volumes like before, but it's still going strong. As long as there's at least 20% of sales that are physical, they'll make the physical copy.

Metnut

If you don’t like the idea of digital only, then buy physical to the maximum extent possible. I vote with my wallet.

Last edited:

EDMIX

In 6 years I could maybe see gaming go all digital but I’m not convinced that’s most likely.

All digital, and to a lesser extent streaming, approaches may grow in popularity but I don’t see physical media completely going extinct

Agreed. Many of us will keep physical alive simply for the rights. I just don't see it going away in our lifetime as we still see Music CDs, Blurays etc. Yet clearly gaming is the one that increases in space exponentially as much as it does.

Who out here is looking to pay MORE MONEY for LESS RIGHTS?

If anyone really wants to see what all digital looks like, tell them look up Call Of Duty prices on Steam lol

and yet..

Ah, and when that happens all digital games are available forever and ever, surely? Right? No game is ever going to be pulled from any service or store again?

And we'll be able to sell our used games digitally, yeah? Even if the games are tied to our accounts, when we sell the console?

Yeah... Whatever, just like a lot of you guys have already replied, if that would ever happen that's when I quit gaming.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Ah, and when that happens all digital games are available forever and ever, surely? Right? No game is ever going to be pulled from any service or store again?

And we'll be able to sell our used games digitally, yeah? Even if the games are tied to our accounts, when we sell the console?

Yeah... Whatever, just like a lot of you guys have already replied, if that would ever happen that's when I quit gaming.

They not ready to have that hard conversation. Could you imagine EA just pulling an old Madden to sell the new version? LMFAO!!! They'd have a sale once a year, be like 1% off the gold edition (goes to the checkout only to find that you actually owe 1% more on top of the regular price)

jakinov

No having the wrong prediction over and over and over is being out of touch. They have no idea what they are talking about. Its literal insanity, make the same prediction every few years, hoping next time it'll be right.

There is zero chance Sony or Microsoft contemplated going disc-less this gen lol.
No it's not. That's just not being a fortune teller. The trend is that most of the industry is going digital. Mobile and PC is already pretty much 99.9% digital. And digital is bigger than ever on consoles where most people are buying digital. The people who control whether or not we go all digital have an business interest in going digital. It's arguably going to happen at one point in the future. They are in touch with what's happening they again just can't predict the future when digital (probably) takes over.

We shouldn't be dwelling on people not being able to accurately tell the future of how fast it gets adopted or what Microsoft and Sony decide behind closes doors. It's more fruitful to explain why you think someones prediction is wrong than it is to point out how many times different people were wrong in the past. I don't even agree with the guy from the article. I just think it's silly to bring up that different people in the past wrongly predicted when something would happen. Yes certain people were wrong before, and so whoever stills believe it probably reassessed and made a new prediction. People make a bunch of predictions about Covid-19 when they'll be a vaccine, how many infected, when they can start opening up certain areas or whatever. People end up being wrong for whatever reason and so they make new predictions. It's not a huge deal as you are making out to be.

Top Bottom