• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FromSoftware making Souls like Exclusive for PlayStation not Bloodborne 2

Cool might consider getting a ps5 then. Hopefully it’s a 2023 game. By then we should have a ps5 slim. Don’t wanna buy that ugly ass router

skneogaf

I'll be highly surprised if I like it as much as like bloodborne but I'm more than happy to play it for months and months! 😍

Praise the sun ☀

Tg89

Because mainline Mario and Zelda games release approximately once every 4 or 5 years while these Souls-type games have become a dime-a-dozen and release almost yearly now.

They're hardly yearly unless you count ones not developed my FROM. Hardly FROMs fault that other devs are trying to use their formula.

FROM themselves have released 6 in 12 years, so essentially one every two years. That's if you lump Sekrio in as a Souls-type which I dunno if I would. They've all been of excellent quality, with 2 being the only one you could really argue saw a significant dip. Bloodborne and Dark Souls are both GOTY/GOTG type games and Demon's Souls, DS3 and Sekiro aren't that far behind.

As long as they're able to keep churning out classics, not sure why they wouldn't. It's not as if the genre is oversaturated.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Lmao, not a "Bloodborne rumor" this time, eh? Its just a Souls rumor painted differently.

Well at least this one is something easier to believe, so you can hold your "grain of salt" alongside the hundreds of Bloodborne failed rumors.

They're hardly yearly unless you count ones not developed my FROM. Hardly FROMs fault that other devs are trying to use their formula.

FROM themselves have released 6 in 12 years, so essentially one every two years. That's if you lump Sekrio in as a Souls-type which I dunno if I would. They've all been of excellent quality, with 2 being the only one you could really argue saw a significant dip. Bloodborne and Dark Souls are both GOTY/GOTG type games and Demon's Souls, DS3 and Sekiro aren't that far behind.

As long as they're able to keep churning out classics, not sure why they wouldn't. It's not as if the genre is oversaturated.
Sekiro (revive mechanic, stealth and verticality) and the upcoming Elden Ring (horse traversal, wide open areas) are the only games from FROM Software that deviated from the normal souls formula in any meaningful capacity and both are multiplatform. The rest all just play like expansions that build slightly atop one another yet feel too samey IMO

Tg89

Sekiro (revive mechanic, stealth and verticality) and the upcoming Elden Ring (horse traversal, wide open areas) are the only games from FROM Software that deviated from the normal souls formula in any meaningful capacity and both are multiplatform. The rest all just play like expansions that build slightly atop one another yet feel too samey IMO
I mean you're basically describing a large part of the video game industry. There's plenty of companies that basically release the same game over and over again. Ubisoft releases the same game almost every other year too for example, the difference is FROM is actually releasing great games with consistency. They're also really the only team making those games.

I dunno, not everything needs to be new. There's also the flip side of companies that do try to do new things all the time and end up with long dev cycles and mixed results. The Zelda series is a good example, 3 "mainline" games in 15 years and one of those games is absolutely terrible.

Bloodborne is also quite a bit different than the Souls games in many ways. Maybe more nuanced than the differences you see in Sekiro/Elden Ring.

Last edited:

TheMan

ANOTHER souls
Com on FROM just give us ONE Armored Core this gen. We got none last gen and it's not possible to buy any of the old games digitially which is suuuuch as shame

Bryank75

Banned

Elden Ring is the same as Souls... just open-world. From the looks of it anyway....

Dividing it into something new isn't necessary.

I think it's a bit unfair to call the games 'like expansions' though. That is the formula of their games generally.... they are self contained and new games, being similar isn't justification to call them basically the same game.

A couple of last gen games. We have yet to see if they will port any current gen games or wait for PS6 to do that. Returnal could have sold more if it was also a PC title given the small PS5 user base so far but Sony understands the need for exclusives not just to move consoles but to give the brand it's identity.
Not like it matters if the game is last gen or not. Bloodborne is 6 years old, but if it released on Steam today it'd still sell millions.

Spitfire098

Dj Khaled And Another One GIF

skit_data

People are acting like this is legit but the talent from From is hard at work on Elden ring.

This is fake news rumor.

It's funny how many people are pretending it's real :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I don’t think anyone here thinks that it will release before 2023.

They did release DS2, Bloodborne and DS3 fairly close to each other so either they have several teams working at different stages in production in parallel or they are one of the fastest dev teams in the world. I believe the first of those possibilites seem more plausible.

Last edited:

Tg89

People are acting like this is legit but the talent from From is hard at work on Elden ring.

This is fake news rumor.

I mean, I don't exactly think the rumour is real. But if the Elden Ring date is still on track then it's probably in or close to being in post production, would stand to reason that some of the team is available to start working on the next project, especially folks who are more involved in the story/concept type stuff. The rumour doesn't say anything about the game being in production.

Metnut

Elden Ring is likely a more ambitious project than another Souls type game, even if it’s new IP.

Last edited:

kyoji

This is fake news rumor.

Grain of salt for me in this instance just means i dont expect any official info about the project until elden ring is out or closer to release, unless its a short tease trailer before then or something. You would have to be quite delusional at this point to think from isnt cooking up something new with sony though.

Last edited:

yurinka

I wonder if they got the Castlevania IP. :pie_thinking:
It's just bullshit.

Sony doesn't have any reason to buy the Castlevania IP and Konami doesn't have any reason or need to sell it. As I remember the best selling Castlevania game was Lords of Shadow with 1.7M units, way less than Sony games traditionally sell. As an example, Bloodborne sold more.

The Castlevania IP isn't as popular as the Spider-Man IP.

Last edited:

Yoboman

It's just bullshit.

Sony doesn't have any reason to buy the Castlevania IP and Konami doesn't have any reason or need to sell it. As I remember the best selling Castlevania game was Lords of Shadow with 1.7M units, way less than Sony games traditionally sell. As an example, Bloodborne sold more.

The Castlevania IP isn't as popular as the Spider-Man IP.
The Castlevania IP is probably the most well known its ever been thanks to the Netflix Anime and Konami are doing nothing with it

How would fromsoft + Sony game work now? Both Bloodborne and demons souls were fromsoft + Japan studio things.

From + team asobi?

Japan Studio played no role in development. They acted as producers on the project.

With the re-org, only the Studio function of Japan Studio was shut down. The producer function that operates across Team Asobi, PD and the rest of their third party partnerships still exists as part of SIEJ.

yurinka

The Castlevania IP is probably the most well known its ever been thanks to the Netflix Anime and Konami are doing nothing with it
In this case they should get Ru Paul's Drag Race, I'm pretty sure it must have a bigger audience on Netflix than Castlevania.

Japan Studio played no role in development. They acted as producers on the project.

With the re-org, only the Studio function of Japan Studio was shut down. The producer function that operates across Team Asobi, PD and the rest of their third party partnerships still exists as part of SIEJ.
It's the opposite. They did shut down the 2nd party publishing part of Japan Studio and fired many of their internal gamedev staff, remaining only Team Asobi and some other internal devs who are now part of Team Asobi. They renamed the studio to Team Asobi because it's mostly what remains.

2nd party publishing now will be handled by XDEV, the ones who until now handled the publishing of the European games. XDEV will now handle all 2nd party games developed across the world.

Last edited:

Yoboman

In this case they should get Ru Paul's Drag Race, I'm pretty sure it must have a bigger audience on Netflix than Castlevania.
Oh yeah that makes so much sense I can picture the meeting

Konami exec 1: "30 million people have watched the Castlevania Anime and its been renewed for 4 seasons - maybe we should make a new game to capitalise on this success?"

Konami exec 2: "Yeah but RuPauls Drag Race is more popular so let's do nothing"

Listen to yourself

yurinka

Oh yeah that makes so much sense I can picture the meeting

Konami exec 1: "30 million people have watched the Castlevania Anime and its been renewed for 4 seasons - maybe we should make a new game to capitalise on this success?"

Konami exec 2: "Yeah but RuPauls Drag Race is more popular so let's do nothing"

Listen to yourself
I was talking on Sony's side. I'm pretty sure Naughty Dog would prefer a game about that over making a game with white male protagonist.

On Konami's side it would be:

Konami exec 1: 'Hey let's make another console...'
Konami exec 2: "Forget it, let's make another pachinko or mobile game instead. Now shut up and go to clean the gym toilets'.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I was talking on Sony's side. On Konami's side it would be:

Konami exec 1: 'Hey let's make another console...'
Konami exec 2: "Forget it, let's make another pachinko or mobile game instead. Now shut up and go to clean the toilets of the gym'.
Yeah I dont think Sony will do anything but Konami are completely incompetent sitting on this IP right now

Top Bottom