• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FromSoftware making Souls like Exclusive for PlayStation not Bloodborne 2

It's the opposite. They did shut down the 2nd party publishing part of Japan Studio and fired many of their internal gamedev staff, remaining only Team Asobi and some other internal devs who are now part of Team Asobi. They renamed the studio to Team Asobi because it's mostly what remains.

2nd party publishing now will be handled by XDEV, the ones who until now handled the publishing of the European games. XDEV will now handle all 2nd party games developed across the world.

Really? This wasn't what I've heard. I'd heard the 3rd party publishing function in Japan wasn't completely gutted, but a smaller regional skeleton crew were retained to support the global 3rd party publishing team (which as you say appears to now be XDev). But you seem sure so I'll take your word for it.

The idea of a European function handling 3rd party publishing globally sounds like a bad idea to me. Especially because of ethnocentric perspectives through which westerners often view Asian-developed content.

yurinka

Really? This wasn't what I've heard. I'd heard the 3rd party publishing function in Japan wasn't completely gutted, but a smaller regional skeleton crew were retained to support the global 3rd party publishing team (which as you say appears to now be XDev). But you seem sure so I'll take your word for it.
It's what Sony said a couple of times. And soon after they restructured Japan Studio, XDEV did open job positions for producers of 2nd party games developed in Japan and other Asian countries. We know some Japan Studio staff that did work on this (like the Bloodborne producer on Sony's side) left Sony. But who knows, maybe there's some guy who moved to XDEV.

The idea of a European function handling 3rd party publishing globally sounds like a bad idea to me. Especially because of ethnocentric perspectives through which westerners often view Asian-developed content.
They decided to integrate their different 2nd party teams into a single global team, and it's fair to assume they did choose XDEV because they have been the most successful of the three teams. They worked with teams like Media Molecule, Guerrilla, Housemarque or Nixxes, that ended being part of Sony, plus several other very successful games like the Quantic Dreams ones etc. PlayStation is only the only gaming platform where Europe is the 1st market of the world, and part of that success is due to XDEV because in addition to 2nd party publishing and outsourcing support they handle communication and marketing.

Sony Japan and Santa Monica instead managed to release some great 2nd party games but most of them were commercial failures with a few exception like Journey.

They are a multicultural global corporation, so it doesn't matter if a team is originally from some place. They will get people or an office from some region if needed. Jimbo said they want to increase their number of exclusives from Japan and other Asian countries and that were working on it, and that they plan to have more exclusives on PS5 (made everywhere, not only in Japan) than in any other previous console they made. They also got that deal with Kadokawa (From Software's parent company) so make sure they will get games from them. XDEV is also way bigger than Japan Studio was, and are more prolific, so after some time reorganizing and handling covid, make sure they will release a bigger amount of 2nd party Japanese games.

Last edited:
It's what Sony said a couple of times. And soon after they restructured Japan Studio, XDEV did open job positions for producers of 2nd party games developed in Japan and other Asian countries. We know some Japan Studio staff that did work on this (like the Bloodborne producer on Sony's side) left Sony. But who knows, maybe there's some guy who moved to XDEV.

They decided to integrate their different 2nd party teams into a single global team, and it's fair to assume they did choose XDEV because they have been the most successful of the three teams. They worked with teams like Media Molecule, Guerrilla, Housemarque or Nixxes, that ended being part of Sony, plus several other very successful games like the Quantic Dreams ones etc. PlayStation is only the only gaming platform where Europe is the 1st market of the world, and part of that success is due to XDEV because in addition to 2nd party publishing and outsourcing support they handle communication and marketing.

Sony Japan and Santa Monica instead managed to release some great 2nd party games but most of them were commercial failures with a few exception like Journey.

They are a multicultural global corporation, so it doesn't matter if a team is originally from some place. They will get people or an office from some region if needed. Jimbo said they want to increase their number of exclusives from Japan and other Asian countries and that were working on it, and that they plan to have more exclusives on PS5 (made everywhere, not only in Japan) than in any other previous console they made. They also got that deal with Kadokawa (From Software's parent company) so make sure they will get games from them. XDEV is also way bigger than Japan Studio was, and are more prolific, so after some time reorganizing and handling covid, make sure they will release a bigger amount of 2nd party Japanese games.

Well, this is definitely more encouraging.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Because mainline Mario and Zelda games release approximately once every 4 or 5 years while these Souls-type games have become a dime-a-dozen and release almost yearly now.
No one has successfully released a souls like that touches from software. The closest I've played is Mortal Shell and it's not even close (though it is great).

sackings

Don't understand the complaints about FromSoft at all. Are you also clamoring for CoD devs to not make shooters? SE to not make JRPGs? Steven King to not write horror fiction? Makes no sense at all. These are the games they make, and they are damn masters at it.

Flutta

Banned
Noooice, love me some souls exclusives.
This one wont see the light of the day anytime soon if the rumors are true.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
It's closer than the Souless Mortal Shell and it's the closest to From's games.
You would know this if you actually played them.
Closer how? Single unified map where the player doesn't spend a bunch of time in overworld menus? Nope. (Primarily) Western influenced dark fantasy design? Nope. Slow thoughtful combat with weight and impact? Not in my opinion.

They are all souls-like because they feature high difficulty, high-risk combat with hard-hitting enemies, sparse checkpoints, and enemies dropping souls (or some other resource used for upgrading stats and/or weapons that is lost upon death) where the player has one chance to regain the dropped souls.

If you want to quibble that Mortal Shell is less souls like because they call souls "tar" or that you personally don't like it, those aren't really valid arguments to me.

For me personally, I think nioh has built in cheap bullshit that isn't difficult just hidden from the player until you die from it. Like the bats from Nioh 1 in "Deep in Shadow". You literally can't avoid them the first time since you never saw them until they point. This is compared to something like Sen's Fortress where you can see the trap pressure plates and enemies but it's difficult if you aren't good at timing or observation.

You would know this if you actually played them.

Nickolaidas

we don't need remasters of games that aren't even 10 years old. or if you MUST do it, offload it to a third party and let From make something new
*sigh*

A remaster doesn't need any real work. You're talking about remakes. All they fucking need to do is make a fucking patch to boost the framerate to 60 fps and increase the resolution to 4K.

ksdixon

I don't follow Souls games, but isn't this already known? Project Velvet Veil or something like that? Not a named as Souls title because that has certain expectations such as movement mechanics, and they wanna have more freedom in movement, I think horseback riding was mentioned? But it'll be in that same genre style, essentially an outlier/sister game like BB is to DS etc?

V4skunk

Banned
I don't follow Souls games, but isn't this already known? Project Velvet Veil or something like that? Not a named as Souls title because that has certain expectations such as movement mechanics, and they wanna have more freedom in movement, I think horseback riding was mentioned? But it'll be in that same genre style, essentially an outlier/sister game like BB is to DS etc?
Have you seen the Elden Ring trailer?

Orion2

Banned
keep begging and waiting yo, 6 years and counting, let the crying continue

Hopefully not, but if Sony is paying for it completely then that will make up for the lack of sales.
what lack of sales? most sony games sell more than most multiplatform games

I've been playing it on PC.

Keep crying, you don't sound upset at all
yeah you've been playing Biomutant with BB characters cheap mods in it crying troll LMAO make that petition!!!!

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
keep begging and waiting yo, 6 years and counting, let the crying continue
I've been playing it on PC.

Keep crying, you don't sound upset at all

Orion2 said:
yeah you've been playing Biomutant with BB characters cheap mods in it crying troll LMAO make that petition!!!!
Edit: Nice edit. You don't have a very coherent string of words there but it makes sense that you're the type who protests more and more as you get angrier and angrier

Last edited:

EDMIX

3 game deal was reported years and years ago. DeS, Bloodborne, PS5 exclusive. It’s coming, it’s pretty much nailed on.

Agreed.

Plus this isn't really that much of a shock or something to even be seen as a "massive" rumor. I feel at this point, it should be expected unless they state otherwise tbh.

Might as well say we have a rumor that a new Far Cry will be made after 6...but shit, take that with a grain of salt folks =)

Kokoloko85

we don't need remasters of games that aren't even 10 years old. or if you MUST do it, offload it to a third party and let From make something new
Remasters are fine. I think you’re thinking remake. Bloodborne doesnt need a remake like Demon Souls.
But it could do with a nice 4k, 60fps remaster

Orion2

Banned

Bloodborne runs great at 120 fps btw

"Hi, i know that everyone will be surprised and even skeptical about the PC thing, but i can assure you that this was recorded on PC using PSNOW in the highest resolution possible and with detected of 60 Frames"

:pie_roffles:🤣:pie_roffles:🤣
this troll kills me, but not by being funny as he thinks he is, it's funny to see him trying thinking he has a chance at being a successful troll, learn better in my ignore list kid

Velius

Banned
"Hi, i know that everyone will be surprised and even skeptical about the PC thing, but i can assure you that this was recorded on PC using PSNOW in the highest resolution possible and with detected of 60 Frames"

:pie_roffles:🤣:pie_roffles:🤣
this troll kills me, but not by being funny as he thinks he is, it's funny to see him trying thinking he has a chance at being a successful troll, learn better in my ignore list kid
"Haha, I'm really not mad, you gotta believe me, maybe if I put up more emojis"

Orion2

Banned
Most of the sales are on Steam. The Souls community is mostly on PC.
huh, must've imagined the biggest two best Souls games, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne being exclusive to PS and the best Souls clone, Nioh 1/2 being close to a year PS exclusive and selling millions on PS vs few hundreds thousands on PC

I want Miyazaki to make a Berserk game or I would also love to see them make something in the Warhammer universe. Both are obviously pipe dreams

Dream-Knife

Banned
huh, must've imagined the biggest two best Souls games, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne being exclusive to PS and the best Souls clone, Nioh 1/2 being close to a year PS exclusive and selling millions on PS vs few hundreds thousands on PC
Demon's Souls is often viewed as the worst in the series.

DS3 has sold 10 million copies. There are over 182,000 reviews for the game on Steam. On average, 1 out of every 50 players leaves a review. Pretend DS3 has a higher average and 1 out of 30; that's half the total copies sold.

Nioh is a different story. I don't think they sold particularly well anywhere. I only played the first one when it came to PS+ a year or two ago.

Orion2

Banned
Demon's Souls is often viewed as the worst in the series.

DS3 has sold 10 million copies. There are over 182,000 reviews for the game on Steam. On average, 1 out of every 50 players leaves a review. Pretend DS3 has a higher average and 1 out of 30; that's half the total copies sold.

Nioh is a different story. I don't think they sold particularly well anywhere. I only played the first one when it came to PS+ a year or two ago.
1. you don't have the numbers for DS3 PS4 or PC sales, so idk what point you're trying to make
2. Demon's/Bloodborne still best Souls games, not on PC
3. Nioh sold very well, and several times more on PS than PC, of course you "don't" know about that

Dream-Knife

Banned
1. you don't have the numbers for DS3 PS4 or PC sales, so idk what point you're trying to make
2. Demon's/Bloodborne still best Souls games, not on PC
3. Nioh sold very well, and several times more on PS than PC, of course you "don't" know about that
1. Cool
2. Opinion, which isn't held by the majority (although BB is very popular)
3. Cool, that's not a Souls game. It's a souls-like.

COD also sold more on PS4. Your point?

Would be sad for another From game to be locked to a console. Of course they may start day and date PC by then.

Orion2

Banned
1. Cool
2. Opinion, which isn't held by the majority (although BB is very popular)
3. Cool, that's not a Souls game. It's a souls-like.

COD also sold more on PS4. Your point?

Would be sad for another From game to be locked to a console. Of course they may start day and date PC by then.
well, idgaf about PC as PS is my main platform, so it doesn't affect me, and yes, PS is the number 1 platform for Souls games, ain't no NR1 platform for nothing that misses or has to wait for the best games in that respective domain, aka Bloodborne/Demon's/Niohs and more

Last edited:
ain't no NR1 platform for nothing that misses or has to wait for the best games in that respective domain, aka Bloodborne/Demon's/Niohs and more
I dunno, getting a game first is a pretty low on my priority list. I did buy Bloodborne on PS4, but I would gladly have waited another year for a PC version that didn't run like shit.

Orion2

Banned
I dunno, getting a game first is a pretty low on my priority list. I did buy Bloodborne on PS4, but I would gladly have waited another year for a PC version that didn't run like shit.
that's you, most people don't wait, RDR2 sales are proof of that, ppl bought it day one on console then again on PC, Sony got their money, that's all that matters, you keep waiting, real gamers will keep playing, we're not talking bout fake gamers here that don't play games

that's you, most people don't wait, RDR2 sales are proof of that, ppl bought it day one on console then again on PC, Sony got their money, that's all that matters, you keep waiting, real gamers will keep playing, we're not talking bout fake gamers here that don't play games
Yeah, right. If that's what being a Real Gamer™ means I'll gladly hand in my badge 😂

Thanks for beta testing, though.

Orion2

Banned
Yeah, right. If that's what being a Real Gamer™ means I'll gladly hand in my badge 😂

Thanks for beta testing, though.
same thanks for beta testing the PC version of Death Stranding and GTA5 and all the other games that get new PS5 versions now and games like Hades and all the other PC small games you guys QAed for us console Kings

Last edited:
same thanks for beta testing the PC version of Death Stranding and GTA5 and all the other games that get new PS5 versions now
They're about to make you buy an 8 year-old game at full price for the third time to get access to a bunch of features that PC gamers largely got for free and you think that's a good thing?

Top Bottom