• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From today’s Nintendo Direct, can we say that Switch 2 won’t come until at least 2024?

- MK8 DLC waves will run to the end of 2023. This should provide additional content for 2023

- No BOTW2 news today, it’s more likely that BOTW2 is a 2023 release

- We know they’re still working on Prime 4, which is prolly a 2023 release

- They announced 3 additional heavyweights first IPs today: Switch Sports, Mario Strikers, Xenoblade 3, in addition to all other already planned release Splatoon 3, Bayo 3, Rabbid 2, Kirby. All these solid titles will support Switch sale this year and next year

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I mentioned that Nintendo needed new hardware 3 years ago, I think they’re giving the system a final hug with these “go away” games.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Whatever plans there were for a Switch 2 in 2021~2022 were probably scrapped because Nintendo can make more money just selling their console that uses old hardware (thus fabricated in a less competed lithography process).

Steam Deck & friends might start taking off throughout the next couple of years though, and that may force them to release another console. in ~2024.

Regardless, Nintendo isn't going to budge as long as people keep buying their consoles and software.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Steam deck can only be purchased through Steam or Best Buy. It will never have a chance to gain that kind of traction unless Valve mass markets it.
Steam has over 120 million active users.
Why would Valve sell it to anyone other than the ridiculous amount of people who pay for games in their platform? It's probably the only known way to prevent scalping, too.

Whatever plans there were for a Switch 2 in 2021~2022 were probably scrapped because Nintendo can make more money just selling their console that uses old hardware (thus fabricated in a less competed lithography process).

Steam Deck & friends might start taking off throughout the next couple of years though, and that may force them to release another console. in ~2024.

Regardless, Nintendo isn't going to budge as long as people keep buying their consoles and software.

Steam Deck will be a niche product; Lack of distribution channel, no exclusive content, chips shortage and supply chain bottleneck

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Steam has over 120 million active users.
Why would Valve sell it to anyone other than the ridiculous amount of people who pay for games in their platform? It's probably the only known way to prevent scalping, too.
Again, until you can go into a GameStop, on Amazon, and every other major retailer this will not hit critical mass and will stay the plaything of the Steam user.

Now, it's possible that Valve decides to do this, if they experience success, but that goes against the way Valve has traditionally done things in the past.

They aren't trying to get into the console business.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
- MK8 DLC waves will run to the end of 2023. This should provide additional content for 2023

- No BOTW2 news today, it’s more likely that BOTW2 is a 2023 release

- We know they’re still working on Prime 4, which is prolly a 2023 release

- They announced 3 additional heavyweights first IPs today: Switch Sports, Mario Strikers, Xenoblade 3, in addition to all other already planned release Splatoon 3, Bayo 3, Rabbid 2, Kirby. All these solid titles will support Switch sale this year and next year
I got one better for you. We may not see another Switch for 5+ years. It's going to be the GTA 5 of Hardware. IF it continues to sell well, it makes 0 sense to not continue riding the wave. Also, factor in chip shortages! Sony can't produce enough PS5 to keep up with demand, same with series X.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I got one better for you. We may not see another Switch for 5+ years. It's going to be the GTA 5 of Hardware. IF it continues to sell well, it makes 0 sense to not continue riding the wave. Also, factor in chip shortages! Sony can't produce enough PS5 to keep up with demand, same with series X.
The real time chip the shortages are going to end is 2027.

Switch will be a black and white television by then.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Steam Deck will be a niche product; Lack of distribution channel, no exclusive content, chips shortage and supply chain bottleneck
No. Valve is expecting to sell "millions of units". Van Gogh is a small 150mm^2 chip built on the 4 year-old N7 process, it's not competing for N5 or N4, it's a volume ASIC.

They don't need to put their handheld on a Gamestop or Amazon if they can sell directly to their 120 million recurring customers. They already established (almost) worldwide distribution channels.

Dane

Considering the sales (they still lead as last month), and the fact that Nintendo tends to do a successful console for six years, I think we will hear concrete stuff only later this year, or they'll go the way of Sony and MS and have it at seven years and try to beat PS2 sales record.

And honestly, I doubt that they will reserve stuff for a next gen console if it was far away than the project itself.

Last edited:
LOL yes, Switch’s dashboard and online service is very basic, like I mean early 2000s basic

I enjoy some of their games but the system itself as a whole feels so archaic. What’s worse is you have people getting snarky for suggesting improvements yet these are the types that, should new cool features be added , they would be straight in there praising them.

Last edited:

yurinka

They said this Direct was going to be focused on H1 2022 games. So I think Zelda can be a H2 2022 game. But seeing they will release MK8 DLC unttil the end of 2023 I don't think they would release MK9 before then. So if something, I think they could release the Switch 2 (or at least MK9) at the end of 2023 or early 2024.

If Switch 2 is full BC then it doesn't matter if they release games for the normal Switch because they would also run there.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Nintendo just said it’s just middle of Switch life cycle? That would mean 2026 for Switch 2?

To me, that just means they intend to keep selling the Switch and making software for it for another four or five years. It doesn't mean they wouldn't release a new console prior to the Switch's EOL. The same way Sony and Microsoft release new consoles but then still support the previous models for a few more years (pandemic aside).

I think we'll see a Switch successor in 2024. And it being Nintendo, we can probably look around at whatever Nvidia was working with and capable of in the SoC space back in 2018 or 2019 to guess what the core hardware specs will look like.

We still don't know what the effects of Steam Deck will be. If it's a success it could put a big time dent in Nintendo's little market niche and potentially force a successor.
Not really Nintendo Switch is a well oil machine at this point the only thing that can stop the Switch from becoming the best selling home console is a new Nintendo Console lol

Last edited:
It’s definitely more likely.

And that might mean prime 4 on this dinosaur switch hardware :(

I’m going to hold out hope for spring 2023 because 2024 would be awful.

Last edited:

Xellos

Today's Direct lineup makes it seem like some combination of Zelda/Prime 4/Mario/DK is likely to release late 2022 - 2023, which makes me more hopeful for new hardware in 2023, not less. Those are the typical launch year franchises, and considering they take 4-5 years in development, they're not coming around again for a long time.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Not as awful as mario strikers.
That's like one of Nintendo's only good games at this point.

hey-whoa-mikey-day.gif

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I've given up on Nintendo pushing the industry forward.

Once in a while they'll push the art form forward, but they're just not on the same plane of industry advancement as Sony and Microsoft.

How exactly are Sony or Microsoft "pushing the industry forward"? Do you just mean graphics? Over abundant MTX? Shallow gameplay systems? Overly focused narratives to a detrimental degree? GAAS? Unfinished games released as F2P and filled with predatory mechanics?

Reality all 3 push the industry forward via having amazing games. Suggesting otherwise is silly.

Top Bottom