• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From 1999 to 2018, which Halo reveal trailers do you remember?

The Halo series is something of a cultural phenomenon in video games. Most people immediately think of its main character Master Chief or the beautiful music by composers Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori. The original Halo (or "Covenant" as it was almost titled) was a revolutionary first-person shooter when it released, although from my personal experience it wasn't until I played Halo 2 with a friend that I got into the series. Both the single-player and multiplayer were lots of fun. No modern gaming bullshit either. But I digress...

Which reveal trailers do you remember and which ones are your personal favorites? Beginning with the original announcement of Halo more than two decades ago all the way to Halo Infinite two years ago:

Halo for MacOS and PC PC (July 1999)

Halo 2 Xbox Xbox (September 2002)

Halo 3 Xbox 360 Xbox 360 (June 2006)

Halo Wars Xbox 360 Xbox 360 (September 2006)

Halo 3: ODST Xbox 360 Xbox 360 (October 2008)

Halo: Reach Xbox 360 Xbox 360 (June 2009)

Halo 4 Xbox 360 Xbox 360 (June 2011)

Halo 5: Guardians Xbox One Xbox One (June 2013)

Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Xbox One and PC PC (June 2016)

Halo Infinite (June 2018)

Tiamat2san

3, to think of it still raise the hairs on my arms.
5 piano notes then the powerful music ...
Best trailer ever.

Codes 208

While it wasnt until halo 2 that i got into the series, I got my xbox and rewatched the reveal trailer on disc so many times. That said: halo 3’s was and still is the best. The setting, the build-up, the music. Absolute hype.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
The Halo 3 E3 one. A great trailer. Looked next gen too. Gave me goosebumps. I remember that, along with the fake KZ2 trailer and Crysis trailer were my go to trailers to show to everyone :)p). Memories!

h00ters

Halo 3 gave me chills.

ODST I remember purely because it was supposed to run during Microsoft's E3 conference (08 I think it was) and was pulled literally hours before the conference when MS decided they didn't want to run it.

I definitely agree that Halo 3's first trailer was the most memorable in part because I started with Halo 2. That and I remember thinking Cortana's dialogue was cool. But the first trailer for the original Halo is also pretty great showcasing some impressive graphics for 1999.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Everything 2. Halo had taken over the world with one of the best single player games ever, and became a multiplayer phenomenon to boot. People already couldn’t be more excited to see the next one for the first time, then this trailer hit:

At that point, the hype leapt into the stratosphere for me, and a lot of others.

The epicness of the Halo story coming to Earth, with the teased last stand of humanity across the books and the first game, actually happening, in conjunction with mind blowing visuals that looked a generation ahead of anything at the time — the stage was set for the most amazing game ever.

Then gameplay came out, and was somehow even more impresive:

Everyone, including me, was absolutely losing their minds.

...The catch being, of course, that the game never existed. Lol.

The visuals took a massive drop, the E3 mission never happened, most of the game doesn’t even take place on Earth, and the single player game in general was a big letdown from expectations.

That said, sometimes it’s the journey that matters, and I’m hard pressed to think of any ride as amazing as this one. Twilight Princess maybe?

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member

I dont think I've ever seen a game yet still to date do trailers as good as Halo ever did.

Halo Infinite with gamepass, pc crossplay with SeX and previous gen will be an absolute fucking monster with this type of advertising again.

Last edited:

Manji Uzuki

Halo 3 without a doubt. All the trailers and advertisements for that game (and also ODST and Reach) were pure hype... and in the end it turned out to be the best game in the saga IMO. Great campaign and addictive online. Probably the FPS that I spent more hours into.

Radical_3d

3, to think of it still raise the hairs on my arms.
5 piano notes then the powerful music ...
Best trailer ever.
It happened to me right now. What music. What momentum. The cinematic composition of that trailer is so good. It still gets me hyped. Halo 3 is the reason why I’ll buy a SX as soon as I can to play it at 4K with HDR.
Halo 3 Finish the Fight was not only the best Halo trailer but also one of the best trailer ever made.
I can’t think of none better.

Last edited:

CaptainClaw

"Gamma Station, this is Fermion RSO. Uninconfirmed reports of an in-system slipspace rupture."

"Impossible check your source."

"Reading multiple pings below the orbital defense grid."

"Oh this can't be happening."

"Make no mistake, it's them"

I don't care every single one of those reveal trailers are Legendary.

Last edited:
As a huge Halo player with probably 4digit hours of playtime: Not a single one of them. I feel like the most recent one was the one with chief in the desert... Halo 4?

But I also don't remember movie trailers...

Top Bottom