• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frogwares on Next-Gen: SSD a Life and Time Saver; 60FPS Standard? Optimization Isn’t Easy for Indies

thelastword

Banned
In our recent interview with Frogwares, besides inquiring about the success of their open world investigation game The Sinking City, we also asked about the newly revealed next-gen console specifications.

Sergey Oganesyan told us that the development of an open world title will be much simpler thanks to the SSDs included in the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. When we asked if the specs will be enough to warrant 60 frames per second as the standard for next-gen, though, he was a bit skeptical.

We are happy we are moving to a much faster SSD storage. For open world games, that’s a life (and time) saver.

I think more and more devs will offer you a choice between resolution and framerate. I personally hope 60 FPS will become the standard, but optimization is not that easy, especially for smaller studios.

Overall, he expects we'll have to wait a bit in order to see truly mindblowing next-gen games, due to the fact that cross-generation titles will dominate at first. After all, Microsoft itself said Xbox Series X exclusive titles will only start to appear one or two years after its launch.

Looking at what happened when the current-gen was first introduced, we probably shouldn’t expect an absolutely mind-blowing jump in terms of game quality being the standard, because cross-gen titles will be a thing for some time. I just don’t think developers can momentarily drop their support of an enormous fanbase that has grown during the current-gen life cycle unless they have the financial incentive of the console makers to make up for the potential missed out sales.
But we should all definitely look forward to things like better textures, better framerate, better lighting, better loading time, bigger maps, more detailed environment, etc. Which is a lot and the improvements will be more than noticeable.
We already have absolutely gorgeous games like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Horizon Zero Dawn, and I can’t even begin to imagine how good these games would look on the next-gen hardware.

Both next-gen platforms from Microsoft and Sony are still scheduled to hit retail stores in the Holiday season, though delays aren't entirely out of the question just yet.

Very interesting the highlighted though, how he says the SSD is proving a lifesaver for his/or open world games. Yet another developer chalking it up to the SSD.....No open world issues on PS5 here it seems.......Who would have thought...

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting the highlighted though, how he says the SSD is proving a lifesaver for his/or open world games. Yet another developer chalking it up to the SSD.....No open world issues on PS5 here it seems.......Who would have thought...

the quote

Sergey Oganesyan told us that the development of an open world title will be much simpler thanks to the SSDs included in the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.

makes it sound like “no open world issues” on either console, nice!

And I agree with the dev about 60fps. I think it will be nice, and more common, but not minimum standard gen-wide, as much as I would love it to be

Last edited:
In our recent interview with Frogwares, besides inquiring about the success of their open world investigation game The Sinking City, we also asked about the newly revealed next-gen console specifications.

Sergey Oganesyan told us that the development of an open world title will be much simpler thanks to the SSDs included in the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. When we asked if the specs will be enough to warrant 60 frames per second as the standard for next-gen, though, he was a bit skeptical.

Overall, he expects we'll have to wait a bit in order to see truly mindblowing next-gen games, due to the fact that cross-generation titles will dominate at first. After all, Microsoft itself said Xbox Series X exclusive titles will only start to appear one or two years after its launch.

Both next-gen platforms from Microsoft and Sony are still scheduled to hit retail stores in the Holiday season, though delays aren't entirely out of the question just yet.

https://wccftech.com/xbox-series-x-exclusives-launch/

He mentioned both consoles in that statement.

You know that everything needs to be spinned in favor of his console.

I think literally everyone in this forum is looking forward to the SSDs in the next-gen. Literally. Everyone.

It is kinda odd to me because the thread seemed perfectly fine and relevant up until the little unnecessary extra added at the end. I guess that’s just how it rolls in wartime.

Just imo, of course

GHG

Gold Member
You know that everything needs to be spinned in favor of his console.

I think literally everyone in this forum is looking forward to the SSDs in the next-gen. Literally. Everyone.

It was so unnecessary lol.

He was so close to posting a perfect news thread without any spin but failed at the last hurdle. I was pleasantly surprised to see the title hadn't been molested in any way.

Sounds familiar

What are you doing?

Romulus

The standard xbox one tag along is the most crushing part of all this. People wait years to play games built around a new system, yet this extremely dated machine is part of the "next gen" equation for another year or more.

thelastword

Banned
We should see the 1st next gen only titles from Sony so it should be interesting to see what the leap is.

Thanks for sharing the interview.

Edit: Wrong link OP
I'm on it, should be sorted shortly.....I had several threads open in the browser, linked the wrong one in the end, but the content is all there in the OP.....

The standard xbox one tag along is the most crushing part of all this. People wait years to play games built around a new system, yet this extremely dated machine is part of the "next gen" equation for another year or more.
I honestly reckon that’s only going to potentially impact MS 1st party, and even then I don’t think it’ll be by much. Third party would’ve been supporting current gen for a while longer anyway so MS saying what they said wasn’t actually as wild as people like to make it sound, and has no bearing on Sony.

Dory16

Banned
Only for MS first party titles.

thelastword

Banned
Why would there be issues with open world games on PS5?

The big [difference] really is the amount of CUs (compute units) that’s pretty…that’s pretty huge when you start to look at real time ray tracing and things like that…Where PS5 is potentially going to struggle is some of those big third party games like open world [games].

There’s only one next-gen console that will be able to do real time ray tracing. That’s a bit of a controversial statement…but Cerny skipped over it and didn’t talk about it…it comes down to CUs, consistency, what’s on the hardware.

This is what an Ex Developer said about PS5 on an XBOX Podcast......He is no longer in the industry......On the flip, we have had many articles today dispelling such information from several sources who are actually in the industry and working on PS5 games or even Series X......In case of Quantum Error, no issues with raytracing on the PS5 and in the case of Frogwares, they are ecstatic for the SSD in general for it's benefits especially for Open World Games across the board......

Entroyp

This is what an Ex Developer said about PS5 on an XBOX Podcast......He is no longer in the industry......On the flip, we have had many articles today dispelling such information from several sources who are actually in the industry and working on PS5 games or even Series X......In case of Quantum Error, no issues with raytracing on the PS5 and in the case of Frogwares, they are ecstatic for the SSD in general for it's benefits especially for Open World Games across the board......

Well I’ll be damned... A meager 18% more TFLOPS seems to open a world of possibilities for games.

Was that the podcast of one of those discord losers?

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I hope Frogware continue with a sequel to Sinking City or at least continue adapting H.P Lovecrafts work together with their style of detective work. Loved the Sinking City. Sleeper hit of the gen for me.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

Allandor

Oh, I'm positive surprised. A neutral thread from the thelastword
But it is another SSD thread.
Could a mod please Join all those SSD-Threads to one mega-thread?

Sergey Oganesyan told us that the development of an open world title will be much simpler thanks to the SSDs included in the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.
OP :

Never change boy.

thelastword

Banned
Well I’ll be damned... A meager 18% more TFLOPS seems to open a world of possibilities for games.

Was that the podcast of one of those discord losers?
Well he definitely was on a Podcast with guys who may have been on that Discord...…..Dealer Gaming has no semblance of fairness and balance when it comes to these consoles.....

OP :

Never change boy.
So quote me where I said he never mentioned the Series X SSD...….I mentioned the PS5 SSD because Grannell said PS5 would struggle with Open World games and another detractor said the faster SSD would be a bottleneck to PS5, but here an actual dev is saying not only is PS5 fine with openworld games, but the SSD is a huge factor towards that possibility...….How hard is that to understand......By all indications from these guys, Series X would never struggle with open world games, I'm only now showing that PS5 won't struggle with open world games and the SSD wont infact be a bottleneck....

By extension, if openworld games benefits this much from the SSD, then we can infer that the faster SSD would in fact generate better results in open world titles than the slower SSD......It is what it is....

By extension, if openworld games benefits this much from the SSD, then we can infer that the faster SSD would in fact generate better results in open world titles than the slower SSD......It is what it is....
Never change boy, you took Sony reveal real hard, what happened to 32GB HBM3 & 14+TF GPU ?
All we see is you creating 20 SSD threads since GDC, i'm sure there is more to come.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never change boy, you took Sony reveal real hard, what happened to 32GB HBM3 & 14+TF GPU ?
All we see is you creating 20 SSD threads since GDC, i'm sure there is more to come.
Too bad I'm too lazy to find the post, but after PS5 was revealed it was 10 tf and he was heartbroken, it's amazing he believed the troll posts leading up to the reveal where someone (probably pastebins) perked up the bogus tf to 14. I think one even said 15.

Pretty sure whomever pasted them was joking around thinking nobody would believe it (some are clearly so outrageous it's impossible anyone would believe it like 32 gb HBM), but lastword took it to heart.

Amazing.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Lets stay on topic, that was the speculation thread, get it "SPECULATION"......Everybody had their predictions…...It's so strange seeing how you and Sleep Doctor keep saying that as if it means anything in the here and now, he is even in another thread saying he owned me because of it......It's so strange seeing you guys flail all about as if me believing in the possibility of 13.3TF and 15.05TF was a crime.

I have accepted 10.28TF and seen the genius in the custom hardware behind it. Looking at it now, I'd take this vision of a 10.28TF piece of custom hardware over a straight up 13.3TF or 15.05TF without so much custom silicon and revolutions in; controller, SSD and Sound...…..It was definitely the right decision made and I think the benefits will speak louder in real-time than on what's seen on paper and hastily concluded on forums without careful consideration of all the dynamics.....

In any case, many people try to downplay the faster SSD......If you can indicate that 16 extra CU's will have it's benefits and 1.82TF more will have it's benefits for Series X. Then you can also concede that 2.23Ghz will have it's benefits, an SSD that is 129% increase over the one in Series X will have it's benefits, and that the custom hardware in PS5 will mitigate some of the Series X benefits too......So that's my stance now......As you can see, now that we have official specs I'm not obfuscating real info, unlike the people who I see are still bringing up 9.2TF and trying to downplay everything on one side....So 18% on one metric is huge, but 129% on another is nothing...

So beyond that, yes, it's nice to see more devs coming out and speaking out....It would indicate that many next gen projects are well underway and progressing nicely.....No huge issues from any actual devs is what I'm seeing, so I'm stoked.....Seems that the people that have the most issues replicating on PS5 are those with no devkits for the console or guys who have not developed in over a decade or guys who barely sold 5 copies of their last game on Steam......We should be happy that real devs with real dev kits are surfacing more and more...I'd like to hear more from them....

Top Bottom