• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

French Retailer Leaked PS5 Prices Plus Launch Lineup Maybe

Jose92

[Membe
PS5 price
- 499 € for the classic model (with Blu-ray player)

- € 399 for the PS5 Digital Edition (without Blu-ray player)

Pre-order the PS5 from Micromania
- Pre-orders open Thursday, September 17 from 9 a.m. (French time)

- Pre-order possible from a single console

- 4 games available for pre-order: Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Destruction All-Stars, Demon's Souls Remake and Sackboy Adventures

PS5 release
- Micromania expects ultra limited quantities in France

- The consoles will be reserved in priority for "Premium" customers

- A second wave of stock will arrive in December and January

- One console per customer, number of accessories also limited

[Update - 5:06 pm] Despite Micromania's denials on Twitter, we stand by our words. Many of you have contacted us to confirm that sellers have called you to offer you a pre-order of PS5. Other brands have confirmed the same information to us, including mass distribution.

https://playerone.tv/news/v/12192/i...verture-des-precommandes-chez-micromania.html

But later they denied it over twitter

PS5 Digital Edition For € 399
PS5 Disc Edition For € 499
First Party Launch Lineup:

1. Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  2. Destruction All-Stars
  3. Demon's Souls Remake
  4. Sackboy Adventures

Last edited:

Kuranghi

giphy.gif

prag16

Banned
100 dollar/euro spread between digital and 'classic' is pretty brutal if true. It probably shouldn't even be $50, but that would be more understandable. $100 for a damn disc drive (before I get jumped on by people citing retail prices for 4K bluray players, you know damn well sony is not paying anything remotely close to those types of prices).

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I think its fair to say quantities might be limited on release in certain areas/countries.

Hopefully we see a decent amount ot supply here in Canada... Will be preordering ASAP

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Meh, rumors. We’ll know in less than 3 hours. But it would be fucked up (and funny) is Sony opened pre-orders TOMORROW just to totally fuck with Microsoft’s plans.

100 dollar/euro spread between digital and 'classic' is pretty brutal if true. It probably shouldn't even be $50, but that would be more understandable. $100 for a damn disc drive (before I get jumped on by people citing retail prices for 4K bluray players, you know damn well sony is not paying anything remotely close to those types of prices).

You could buy an Xbox One S (UHD Blu-Ray) for $150

Stuart360

Really surprised if it does end up $100 cheaper for the diskless machine, it really doesnt make sense. They must really want you to buy that version.

Paracelsus

The digital is the PS5 - Fifa/Madden/CoD edition.
It quite simply makes zero sense to any avid gamer that buys more than 2-3 games a year, you wouldn't get a nickle back from the games you buy, you wouldn't be able to collect them either.

It's a good move because it's the full hardware instead of a nerfed version.

Sony gets $6-7 more per full price game bought digitally instead of physical, and for first party games it's more like $20 extra per game. I'm guessing with the DE at $399 they will take a loss on each console for the first 1-1.5 years. Most people buying a console that early will likely buy the equivalent of at least 10 full price games over the console's lifetime. So that's $60-70 extra for Sony and potentially much more with a few first party games in there. Then they save maybe $20 on blu-ray hardware. And the benefits of no second hand sales is also worth quite a bit to them. But maybe the biggest benefit is that customers get even more locked down to the Sony ecosystem.

The rub of course is that some buyers will have bought all their games digitally anyway, but I think there are enough benefits to compensate for that, and $399 is clearly the magic number that Sony wants.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Really surprised if it does end up $100 cheaper for the diskless machine, it really doesnt make sense. They must really want you to buy that version.

They just need to confirm that game sharing will stay the same and I'm snapping up that baby so fast. $399 and $30 ( or $35 i guess) for every new release? Hell yes! me and my gamesharing buddy will be there day 1.

Sony gets $6-7 more per full price game bought digitally instead of physical, and for first party games it's more like $20 extra per game. I'm guessing with the DE at $399 they will take a loss on each console for the first 1-1.5 years. Most people buying a console that early will likely buy the equivalent of at least 10 full price games over the console's lifetime. So that's $60-70 extra for Sony and potentially much more with a few first party games in there. Then they save maybe $20 on blu-ray hardware. And the benefits of no second hand sales is also worth quite a bit to them.

The rub of course is that some buyers will have bought all their games digitally anyway, but I think there are enough benefits to compensate for that, and $399 is clearly the magic number that Sony wants.
That's wrong. That is assuming people who buy a disk version buy zero digital games.
But as we know, people who buy a disk version, buy between 50 and 70% of all games digitally.

You never make up the losses if you look from that point of view.

Iced Arcade

Anything leaked at this point is probably right.

They really want people to get that diskless version since they are willing to give digital consumers a better deal.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
$399 for digital will kill XSS for $299 because here it will be full next gen specs not some downgraded stuff and only 100 more
Sure, but try explaining the tangible value of that extra $100 to the average consumer. I think the Series S will be fine either way.

T-Cake

My thoughts are with anyone that won't be able to get a PS5 at the time they want to. (I'm going to go for Xbox first to give things a chance to calm down on the PS5 side. I am not expecting low stock situations with the green team. 😂)

Last edited:

Blond

Banned

It worked for me if true, 400 dollars is great impulse territory for me because the backwards compatible rumors didn't pan out so I'm not really interested anymore in disc, especially now that there's gonna be SSDs that fit Sony's spec coming way sooner than expected.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

I think the likely scenario is that they are subsidizing the discless edition on account of the increased profits from digital game sales.

FunkMiller

Demon's souls..... Heavy breathing...

I really do think that when we see it, it could be the game that everyone hails as the beginning of next gen. If the fidelity of the graphics as seen in the promo shots is matched in movement, with the fast loading times and high frame rate, it's going to kick everyone's ass.

Dynasty8

If it does end up true, I think it makes a lot of sense. Long term, digital is more profit for Sony since consumers have no choice but to buy digital games. More importantly for Sony, they skip out on retail fees and used game sales which they make 0% profit on. I'm glad we have the choice, but $100 less is more than reasonable.

DeaDPo0L84

I'm still probably gonna hold off but Spiderman Morales & Demon Souls Remake are two games I legit want to play,plus I haven't played Ghost. So I might be in for one dicless.

We keep seeing these prices coming up over and over, and I really don't think that can be a coincidence. Honestly, anything else would be stupid at this point too.

Meh, rumors. We’ll know in less than 3 hours. But it would be fucked up (and funny) is Sony opened pre-orders TOMORROW just to totally fuck with Microsoft’s plans.
I suspect that Sony will open preorders either immediately after the event or tomorrow; this would explain the off wednesday event.

TheUsual

Gold Member
If that pricing is true...they really want us to go all digital. I will still stick with the disc drive version though.
I just don't want to download games at times. (I.e., RDR2 and FF7 Remake).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
We keep seeing these prices coming up over and over, and I really don't think that can be a coincidence. Honestly, anything else would be stupid at this point too.
Yeah - at this point if Sony isn't able to hit these prices a lot of people are going to be really upset.

chonga

If it does end up true, I think it makes a lot of sense. Long term, digital is more profit for Sony since consumers have no choice but to buy digital games. More importantly for Sony, they skip out on retail fees and used game sales which they make 0% profit on. I'm glad we have the choice, but $100 less is more than reasonable.
Posted this before but the numbers don't really work out.

At $100 gap they'd likely break even by generation end. You could argue that makes it worth it, but it is risky.

Depend on the estimates you want to believe you're looking at about $10 extra in Sony's pocket from a digital sale vs. physical. The trap is to say that means all they need to do is sell 10 titles to make that $100 gap up. But that's forgetting that firstly it isn't a $100 cost gap as there's no optical drive, it is more like a $70/80 cost gap. But it would still be a mistake to say they only need to sell 8 titles as people are already buying digital games so Sony already gets those juicy 10 extra dollars. You would instead need to convert 8 physical sales into digital ones to generation an additional $80 beyond what you already would have done.

Also consider who is the type of person that might readily switch to a digital only console. It is important to note that whilst someone might buy a lot of digital it doesn't mean they'd be willing to go exclusively digital. The user is likely going to be someone who already heavily buys digital. And if that turns out to be true then there's not going to me many physical purchases that you're converting into digital for that type of user.

It may be that they have some additional revenue streams to announce (something like a Game Pass or cloud product) that could yield additional revenues to make that profit elsewhere.

mckmas8808

Banned

It makes plenty of sense, considering the $500 console is the default console from Sony's perspective.

CAB_Life

$399 would be ideal for this market, but they’re definitely eating a sizeable loss (who cares, not me, and neither should you). I wonder if MS will pivot and offer the XSS for $249/ $279.

The $100 markup for a disc drive is just silly, however. I’m all digital anyway, so I wouldn’t choose that for myself—nor would anyone I know in my gaming circle tbh.

Top Bottom