• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free this week from the Epic Games Store: Control

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Most people will probably ignore this advice, and it seems kind of working against itself. But Control has really awesome atmosphere and interesting story beats and really great combat, but to really immerse yourself in the game you have to stop and actually READ the logs/reports/etc. It adds a lot of flavor text and contextualizes a lot of what's happening in the game, but a lot of people will just blow past it. Take the time, don't rush through the game, read the shit littered about and appreciate the AWEsome atmosphere of the game. It's a great time.

Javthusiast

Banned
Nice, my potato can't run it for shit, but will claim it anyway as with all egs games.

Thankfully I also have the game through ps plus and gamepass so I can actually try it out.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Most people will probably ignore this advice, and it seems kind of working against itself. But Control has really awesome atmosphere and interesting story beats and really great combat, but to really immerse yourself in the game you have to stop and actually READ the logs/reports/etc. It adds a lot of flavor text and contextualizes a lot of what's happening in the game, but a lot of people will just blow past it. Take the time, don't rush through the game, read the shit littered about and appreciate the AWEsome atmosphere of the game. It's a great time.
Played it when it was free on PS+ for PS5. It has one of the most creepy atmosphere in a game I have ever played. The gameplay is great too.

Buggy Loop

Yup, I really enjoyed it and read through the files which had some really interesting stories. The lore that Remedy built around their franchises, the weirdness of David Lynch sprinkled on top, makes them one of my favourite devs. You’re kind of thrown in and have to accept this fucked up alternate world without too much introduction. You get the juicy parts from files you have to read.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Yup, I really enjoyed it and read through the files which had some really interesting stories. The lore that Remedy built around their franchises, the weirdness of David Lynch sprinkled on top, makes them one of my favourite devs. You’re kind of thrown in and have to accept this fucked up alternate world without too much introduction. You get the juicy parts from files you have to read.
I was just telling my buddy that it's like a perfect mix of the best X-Men game never made with X-files and Twin Peaks thrown in.

MikeM

Enjoy PC peeps. Platinumed this game on PS5, PS4 and also finished it on Xbox (yes- I liked this game a lot).

tkscz

Is Control a good game gameplay wise? Whenever I see talks about this game it's always about it's graphics, but no one really talks about the game itself.

Forsythia

IIRC there are differences between the standalone version and the Ultimate Edition, and you're locked out of UE if you have the standalone.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
FYI, the Season Pass is only $7.49

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Dungeons And Dragons Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

Is Control a good game gameplay wise? Whenever I see talks about this game it's always about it's graphics, but no one really talks about the game itself.
The shooting feels good, it has nice particle/physics going on... but the little I saw made me think that there was probably not enough weapon/power variety (maybe ask someone who finished it). So maybe not cream of the crop, but definitely close enough, especially at this price (+ it has DLSS 2.0 and RTX support, so if you have a card that support those it's one of the very few games that actually shows off what your hardware can do).

The game for me is tedious as hell, but free is free i suppose.
Another one to add to the other 150 free games i got on Epic. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I got tired of paying hunble bundle and Steam to build up my collection of games I don't play! Now I get my backlog of games I don't play exclusively on Epic Games Store!

Majukun

already free on gamepass for a while, but it's always good to have a game with nostrings attached

still doesn't seem like my kind of game, i didn't really like alan wake and people told me they are similiar in terms of gameplay

tkscz

The shooting feels good, it has nice particle/physics going on... but the little I saw made me think that there was probably not enough weapon/power variety (maybe ask someone who finished it). So maybe not cream of the crop, but definitely close enough, especially at this price (+ it has DLSS 2.0 and RTX support, so if you have a card that support those it's one of the very few games that actually shows off what your hardware can do).

I do (RTX 3070 Laptop), and free is a great price, I just don't want to waste storage space if the game isn't that fun to play.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Noted, but I keep wondering why anyone should feel compelled to stop the action and read a wall of text in an action/shooting game. Feels like two kinda mutually exclusive things. From all the videos I’ve seen, Control doesn’t look like a game where you want to stop the action.

Stuart360

Noted, but I keep wondering why anyone should feel compelled to stop the action and read a wall of text in an action/shooting game. Feels like two kinda mutually exclusive things. From all the videos I’ve seen, Control doesn’t look like a game where you want to stop the action.
Most of the time you are not shooting. In fact most of the time in the game is spent trying to navigate the changing environment by using the god awful ingame map.
Its very tedious.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
It has a decent amount of down time between fights. It's like I said in my post, it kinda works against itself as the combat/shooting is a lot of fun and you are more or less going from "arena to arena" in regards to how most of the action plays out, in between or after you clear an area you'll find all the supplemental material.

But PLAYING it and being immersed in it kinda work against each other because to really get into it and appreciate the story, you have to read. And it's a decent amount of reading too, but it really REALLY adds to the atmosphere and the gameplay.

A.Romero

It's a well made game. I enjoyed a lot despite some technical flaws with what I'm guessing is texture filtering.

Fun gunplay, engaging story, good art direction (except for the MC which is a bit generic IMO).

Well worth the time.

BabyYoda

Banned
Nice, my potato can't run it for shit, but will claim it anyway as with all egs games.

Thankfully I also have the game through ps plus and gamepass so I can actually try it out.
It's a very well optimised game, runs well on my FX8370 and GTX670 with 8GB's ram, yeah, that's what you call a real potato!

Javthusiast

Banned
It's a very well optimised game, runs well on my FX8370 and GTX670 with 8GB's ram, yeah, that's what you call a real potato!

I have a ssd,16 gig ram and a i5 processor, but no gaming graphics card, just the shit that was there buid in on the motherboard or whatever. I have zero hope to run games like that well even on lower settings. I basically use the pc only for some indies or old games and am mainly a console plebian.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
I have a ssd,16 gig ram and a i5 processor, but no gaming graphics card, just the shit that was there buid in on the motherboard or whatever. I have zero hope to run games like that well even on lower settings. I basically use the pc only for some indies or old games and am mainly a console plebian.
Ah Ok, sorry to hear, do you know what the built in gfx is exactly? I also have an old arse HDD btw...

-MD-

I'm nearing the end of the game and just never cared about anything that was happening in the story, the dialogue/cutscenes really drag but the combat is kinda fun.

Top Bottom