• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free Comic Book Day 2015 (Saturday, May 2nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
fcbd-logo.png

Hey everyone! This is just a quick reminder that Free Comic Book Day 2015 is TOMORROW! FCBD is one of the biggest comic events of the calendar year, and is a wonderful way to connect with dozens of other like minded comic fans, gamers, and cosplayers, and is the unofficial kickoff for the summer comic blockbuster season. I implore everyone who even has the slightest interest in comics to head out and have a good time tomorrow. Find a local shop via www.freecomicbookday.com , and let the fun begin! Here's all the details you'll need to get ready for the big event:

Via. Wikipedia:

History
In 2001, retailer Joe Field was writing columns for an industry magazine, and saw how successful feature films based on comic book franchises were providing the comic book industry with a positive cultural and financial turnaround from the speculator bust of the late 1990s,[1] Field proposed Free Comic Book Day in one of his columns, and received positive reaction to it. Then-Image Comics publisher Jim Valentino suggested having the first Free Comic Book Day on the same weekend as the opening of the 2002 Spider-Man feature film, in order to take advantage of the film's heavy promotion and related press about the comic book medium,[2][3] and thus the first event was held May 4, 2002, one day after the film's opening.[2][4] However, not all events have corresponded with the release of a film based on a comic book.[5] In 2004 it was held in July,[6] but it was moved back to the first Saturday in May the following year[7] and has been held on that day ever since.[8] On Free Comic Book Day, participating comic book store retailers give away specially printed copies of free comic books, and some offer cheaper back issues and other items to anyone who visits their establishments.[9] However, retailers do not receive the issues for free; they pay 12–50 cents per copy for the comics they give away during the event.[10][11] In addition to comic books, some stores also give away other merchandise, such as mini posters and other movie tie-in memorabilia.[12]

Purpose

Free Comic Book Day has three main purposes:[21]

To introduce everyone to the joys of reading comics.
To call back former comic book readers.
To thank current comic book buyers for their continued support.
Publishers produce special edition comics geared to attracting new non-comic readers. There is a wide diversity of comics available, from traditional comics fare like Archie and Disney, super-heroes from Marvel and DC, manga from Tokyopop, as well as work from independent publishers

Video

https://youtu.be/GcY44hx64Bw

The Books (ComicGAF Highlights)

Bobs Burgers
STK665731.jpg

Publisher: D. E.
(W) Mike Olsen & Various (A) Bradley C. Rader & Various
Bob's Burgers, the hit TV show created by Loren Bouchard, is now a comic book! The Belcher family - parents Bob and Linda, and their children Tina, Gene, and Louise - appear in this special Free Comic Book Day edition that collects the "Best Of" in-canon stories from Dynamite's first-ever Bob's Burgers comic book series. Thrill to Tina's Friend Fiction, Louise's Unsolved Mysteries and Curious Curiosities, Gene Belcher Presents: The Musical, and more! It's an all-ages extravaganza that captures the feel of Bob's Burgers perfectly - because it's a comic 100% created by show writers and animators!

Dark Horse Presents (feat. Fight Club)
STK666533.jpg

Publisher: DARK HORSE COMICS
(W) Chuck Palahniuk & Various (A) Cameron Stewart & Various (CA) David Mack
Dark Horse Comic's most thrilling FCBD to date . . . Chuck Palahniuk and Cameron Stewart premiere Fight Club! Eric Powell with all-new tragedy in The Goon! And Guillermo del Toro presents an all-new chapter from The Strain! Need we say more?
Rating: Mature Readers

Secret Wars #0
STK666506.jpg

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS
Prepare yourself for the final days of the Marvel Universe as you know it as the march to the biggest comic event of the year continues! From the ashes of a decimated cosmos rises...Battleworld! Amid the strange, patchwork realm, refugees from thousands of obliterated universes struggle for survival. Even if they can endure the horrors of Battleworld - the home they knew has been destroyed! Time has run out, and the opening salvo of Secret Wars has been fired. But can anything restore the Marvel Universe that once was?
Rating: Teen+

****Additional Note****: Secret Wars #0 is one of the most anticipated free comics of the event. Secret Wars #0 is a recap for everyone who wants to read one of the biggest events in Marvel history. Prepare to have your mind blown all summer long with this guide.

2000 A.D.
STK665719.jpg

Publisher: REBELLION / 2000AD
(W) Matt Smith & Various (A) Norm Breyfogle & Various
The galaxy's greatest Eisner-nominated SF anthology returns to Free Comic Book Day with a 48 page zarjaz line-up of stories. In Through the Out Door, a brand new story from Matt Smith and Norm Breyfogle, Judge Dredd uses the iron fist of the law to settle a block dispute; in 3000 AD some jobs are murder, as proved by The Traveller from Mick McMahon; galactic frontiersman Ajax Bloodthirsty meets his match on the astronomical object of oblivion known as the Death Rock in a new tale from Ben Willsher and Barry Krishna; the Grand Master of Termight is sickened to find that his final resting place has been defiled by the legendary alien freedom fighter, Nemesis the Warlock in Tomb of Torquemada by Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill; wizened master of the occult, Doctor Sin returns to pass on his mantle (and battle a demon) in Don't Call It A Comeback by Rob Williams and Luca Pizzari; pilot of the future, Dan Dare, discovers an alien satellite in Star Slayer by Dave Gibbons and Gerry-Finley Day; Celtic warrior Sláine acquaints more enemies with his axe in A Simple Killing by Pat Mills and Simon Davis; Judge Dredd upholds the law in some classic Dredd newspaper strips by John Wagner, Alan Grant and Ron Smith; and Prepare your mind to be melted by Tharg's Alien Invasions from supreme craz-o-naut Henry Flint.

If this wasn't enough each strip comes with a FREE digital story attached!

****Personal Pick****: This has been one of the best deals of FCBD each year. Get a taste of the UK's biggest comic book magazine that all of your favorite writers and artists from overseas got their start in. PICK THIS UP and if you enjoy what you read, subscribe here: www.2000adonline.com/

FCBD Avengers #1
STK666507.jpg

Not going to bother to post the stupid info for this, seeing as how it tries to highlight characters that aren't in the book to push The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Get a sneek peak at one of ComicGAF's most anticipated releases of the year. This isn't your dad's avengers team. It highlights recently universe displaced fan favorite Miles Morales as Spiderman, and cult favorite and Marvel superstar Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel. This is the hypest shit. Get it!

DC COMICS DIVERGENCE
STK666804.jpg

Publisher: DC
A first look at upcoming storylines! DC Comics: Divergence features three 8-page previews for the June releases of Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's Batman, as well as Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok's launch of the "Darkseid War" within Justice League featuring the biggest villains in the DCU - Darkseid and the Anti-Monitor, and Gene Luen Yang's DC Comics debut with celebrated artist John Romita, Jr on Superman.
Rating: Teen

TMNT: Prelude To Vengeance
STK666879.jpg

Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING
(W) Tom Waltz, Bobby Curnow (A/CA) Mateus Santolouco
The Turtles' final battle with Shredder begins here! This book will take us inside the minds of key characters in the TMNT universe, revealing the epic moments that have led to the present, as well as setting the stage for the biggest storyline yet with all new material!

The Rest

FCBD2015%2BSILVER%2BComics%2BGroup.jpg

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/981

What are you waiting for? It's all FREE!!!! Remember though, Comic Shops do this out of their own pocket, and most good LCS go above and beyond to try to put on a good FCBD. There are huge discounts on lots of books, and other things such as food and performances that they all pay for out of their own pockets. They don't expect all of you to return, but at least try to spend a little bit and pick up a new book or two while you're there :)

Don't know what to read/buy? Find out more here: The Big Comic Book Star Up Guide

Ugh, Comics...they make me sweat.

I still can't get over how many people still think this actually means free comics. Like, last year a guy got really upset that he couldn't just walk out of a store with the latest Fables.

Will be doing the annual walk through SF, though.

Zombine

Banned
I still can't get over how many people still think this actually means free comics. Like, last year a guy got really upset that he couldn't just walk out of a store with the latest Fables.

Will be doing the annual walk through SF, though.

That isn't isolated. There's always shit like this lol. People come out of the woodwork for the word "free."

ElNarez

Banned
I'm basically waking up early to try and score Mercury Heat, if they even have it in either of the shops I go to.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its really just a Dark Horse Sampler. It'll probably be up on comic book resources. I bet it's just a couple pages.
Yeah, but I forgot a couple of them. A fried of mine is a big Dr. Who Fan and I forgot her copy. And now I kinda want to read Turtles, too.

I will think about it and maybe order tomorrow again.

sunofsam

Haven't been to one - plan on going around noon with my kids. I have to pick up some of my pulls.

Do the free comics go quick?

Neoxon

Hopefully the character who isn't catching on & can't sell his own comics but Marvel's still trying to salvage Kid Nova is good in ALAD Avengers. Hyped for Kamala & Miles.

As for Uncanny Inhumans, the addition of Human Torch is odd, but I'm guessing the actual comic will make his inclusion make more sense.

Hopefully the character who isn't catching on & can't sell his own comics but Marvel's still trying to salvage Kid Nova is good in ALAD Avengers. Hyped for Kamala & Miles.

As for Uncanny Inhumans, the addition of Human Torch is odd, but I'm guessing the actual comic will make his inclusion make more sense.

Sam was pretty good in New Warriors, I'm sure Waid will make him work with the Avengers.

obin_gam

Does comiXology offer these for free as well or is it just "old media-versions" of comics that are free?

Axiom

Made the rounds of four comic shops in the city today, made a few purchases and ended up with 19 free comics.

Was great fun, folks dressed up, there was an artists alley, a delorean roamed the streets.

Now to actually find the energy to read.

So it's worthless for people outside the us... good call comic makers! :/

I'm outside the US and the trip to the city involved waking up at 5am, it's well worth the time

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Sweden. The only ones who have comic books here are I think 1 Forbidden Planet store down in Stokholm, and ordinary gas stations which dont hold anything other than Donald Duck.
Try archonia.com.

I am not that sure if they ship to sweden, but its worth the try. They should offer all FCBD books.

I live in germany and I was able to get my books this way.

Tizoc

I legit have no idea what this is! I'm sure you're hyped about TMNT.

Gronk is a webcomic, really light, fun adorable
http://www.gronkcomic.com/2010/04/gronk/

Read it!

Also I need to catch up on TMNT, hadn't read it in over a year ToT

Sweden. The only ones who have comic books here are I think 1 Forbidden Planet store down in Stokholm, and ordinary gas stations which dont hold anything other than Donald Duck.

What about Digital?

obin_gam

noquarter

Haven't been to one - plan on going around noon with my kids. I have to pick up some of my pulls.

Do the free comics go quick?

It might, depends on the shop and the comic. Last year, my shop only allowed you to get 4 comics each and at 1 or so I picked up the last 2000AD. They do have to pay for them and order according to what they think people will like/pick up.

The kids comics I wouldn't worry about though. They had lots of those left, Spongebob, I think a Sonic/Mega Man comic and a couple others, so make sure you go to get them some cool comics.

Gazunta

Huge huge apologies if this is against the TOS but my new comic, Rose: Silly Stories About A Silly Girl, is a free download today for Free Comic Book Day.

It's about a girl who loves food and her family and food and friends and getting into strife in her quest for more food. It's like what if Jughead was a girl :p

There's a ton of other great free books today on dollardownloads.com so if you're not near a comic shop and want some free funnybooks check 'em out!

Back on topic: FCBD just finished here thanks to the time zone difference but apparently it was a huge success in my town. 300 people lining up in front of a comic book shop is awesome to hear.

And yes people please remember that your LCS pays for these books, so try to pick up something else while you're there. Get a big Archie book for someone or something :)

Zombine

Banned
Huge huge apologies if this is against the TOS but my new comic, Rose: Silly Stories About A Silly Girl, is a free download today for Free Comic Book Day.

It's about a girl who loves food and her family and food and friends and getting into strife in her quest for more food. It's like what if Jughead was a girl :p

There's a ton of other great free books today on dollardownloads.com so if you're not near a comic shop and want some free funnybooks check 'em out!

Back on topic: FCBD just finished here thanks to the time zone difference but apparently it was a huge success in my town. 300 people lining up in front of a comic book shop is awesome to hear.

And yes people please remember that your LCS pays for these books, so try to pick up something else while you're there. Get a big Archie book for someone or something :)

Good on you! I'll check it out!

Definitely excited to head out and get some books. I'll probably pick up the Moebius Superman Statue while I'm there. It's beautiful here in Upstate New York, and FCB seems to always kickstart the Spring season. I always see to it that I donate to whatever children's foundation is represented at the event, and I pass along whatever the incentive is to donating to the child next in line.

styl3s

I was going to ask why would anyone be hyped for all new all different avengers until i went to google to see who was writing it and discovered it was Mark Waid and Mahmud Asrar doing the art.

Hopefully the 2nd shop i go to later has it in. When i went to the one near me it seemed like most people just wanted Secret Wars, TMNT and the kid stuff.

cj_iwakura

The Street Fighter one is excellent, easily the best of the five I got (Sonic/Mega Man, Wonderland, Fight Club, The Phantom).

Mudcrab

I was going to ask why would anyone be hyped for all new all different avengers until i went to google to see who was writing it and discovered it was Mark Waid and Mahmud Asrar doing the art.

Hopefully the 2nd shop i go to later has it in. When i went to the one near me it seemed like most people just wanted Secret Wars, TMNT and the kid stuff.

I was pleasantly surprised by ANAD Avengers. Definitely willing to give the book a chance now, but yeah SW and Divergence went with a quickness.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Picked up Secret Wars, Avengers, and Sonic/Mega Man. Luckily brought my little cousins so was able to snag 3 more. So also got 2000 AD, Fight Club, and Bobs Burgers. And to support my local shop I bought the first 3 Spider Gwens.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Store ran out of Secret Wars and Avengers by the time I got there. Picked up a really weird Lady Justice thing because Gaiman was on the cover, the Jojo's book, Divergence and a Secret War preview thing to get some Secret Wars thing at least.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
Fun time hitting my local shops like always.

My haul.

SW and Avengers was gone within an hour at most shops. I spent the morning Disc Golfing so it's my own fault.

Grabbed March Grand Prix for my daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom