• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Franchises you hated that have grown on you over the years

Shut0wen

Just wanting to hear peoples storys of games they once hated and went back to at some point and ended enjoying them? So i went back to gaming after a 2 year hiatus last year, took out my old xbox one and brought assassins creed unity for less then £2 as i had nothing to play and i thought it was a bargin and i absolutely ended up enjoying the game, it was the first assassins creed that i finished and enjoyed (i had played the first, second, brotherhood and blackflag) i had been playing the games since the first one came out when i was a teen and could never get into them but i feel as i got older i enjoyed them more purely because i never have the time to do side missions and challenges since ubisoft love to fill there games absolutel clutter to waste your time after finding the love for the franchise ive so finished blackflag and origins (origins being my fav game so far) currently half way through revelations, another franchise ive grown fond of is the last of us as well, i remember playing the game when i was younger on ps3, loved the intro found it quite emotional but man i couldnt stand the parts where you grab a bin or a ladder to progress through the next levels but once you get past i found its quite a solid game (havnt played the 2nd yet) i do hope maybe 1 day ill actually finish a gta game and enjoy it as i find the writing and the characters funny and interesting but i remember getting bored of almost all gtas after the 10 hour mark and i do one hope to try and enjoy a final fantasy game as ive been on the edge about gettibg the 15th one but was wondering what games or franchises have grown on you guys over the years?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
the rock wrestling GIF by WWE

A lot of assassins creed quests are empty calories that don’t have a kick, they have stealth and the spirt of being an assassin you could see the franchise go to places like ancient Egypt and ancient Norway and many have finally embraced the franchise after years of hatred.

Shut0wen

Edit

Sorry i forgot to also mention other franchises that ive recently got into since theres been afew since ive went back to gaming. One ive enjoyed alot has been dragon age, again played origins a decade ago, never liked the combat at all but after finishing origins i have to say its one of my top 5 rpgs, absolutely loved it, 2nd game was a chore and inquestion is alot worst imo but the lore is incredibly neat, also enjoyed the tomb raider reboot series so far but havnt started on the 3rd one yet

Shut0wen

the rock wrestling GIF by WWE

A lot of assassins creed quests are empty calories that don’t have a kick, they have stealth and the spirt of being an assassin you could see the franchise go to places like ancient Egypt and ancient Norway and many have finally embraced the franchise after years of hatred.
True but tbf i always liked the idea of the series and have always tried given them a chance but personally i think the reason why the series is great is because they finally added a stealth button, personally i prefer origins to the previous ones, probably because theres more quests then challenges plus the combat is 10x better as well

I wouldn't say I 'hated it' but I never got what people saw in Dark Souls in the past or similar games. I just watched some videos of people getting angry and I was like "I'll hate this"

I played Bloodborne and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Dying wasn't frustrating because you can learn from your mistakes. I would now say I'm a fan of the Souls type games and I'm going to give the others a chance when I can. Just shows how you shouldn't undersell your ability or judge a game by its cover.

The game is very rewarding if you're patient and are okay dying a bit to start out.

Shut0wen

I wouldn't say I 'hated it' but I never got what people saw in Dark Souls in the past or similar games. I just watched some videos of people getting angry and I was like "I'll hate this"

I played Bloodborne and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Dying wasn't frustrating because you can learn from your mistakes. I would now say I'm a fan of the Souls type games and I'm going to give the others a chance when I can. Just shows how you shouldn't undersell your ability or judge a game by its cover.

The game is very rewarding if you're patient and are okay dying a bit to start out.
Yeah i dont hate the dark soul series, ive played all 3 but havnt finished a single one, i found blood extremely hard, could get past gascoigne or whatever hes called, also found the 2nd game my fav which everyone hates on lol

Top Bottom