• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox News Contributor Says Rape Allegation Blacklisted Her

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/business/media/fox-news-lawsuit-charles-payne.html?smid=tw-share

Fox News, which for more than a year has dealt with the fallout from an embarrassing sexual harassment scandal, was sued on Monday by the political commentator Scottie Nell Hughes, who claimed that she had been raped by the longtime anchor Charles Payne and was then retaliated against by the network after she came forward with her allegation.

Mr. Payne, the host of “Making Money” on Fox Business, returned to the air earlier this month after the network suspended him in July pending an investigation into his conduct. Upon his return, the network said that it had completed the investigation, which came after Ms. Hughes brought her allegations to the network in late June.

Representatives for Mr. Payne could not immediately be reached for comment, but he has previously denied claims from Ms. Hughes. In a statement released on July 7, his lawyer, Jonathan N. Halpern, said: “Charles Payne vehemently denies the allegations. He will defend himself vigorously against these claims and will hold those responsible to account.”

In her lawsuit, Ms. Hughes said that Mr. Payne had “pressured” his way into her hotel room in July 2013 and coerced her to have sexual intercourse with him, even though she had refused his advances by telling him “no” and “stop.”

According to the suit, Ms. Hughes was “shocked and ashamed” and did not immediately report the incident. She said that over the next two years she was forced to engage in a sexual relationship with Mr. Payne. In exchange, she said, she received career opportunities, including increased appearances on Fox News and Fox Business and the promise that Mr. Payne would help her land a contributor contract, a job that can pay several hundred thousand dollars a year. Ms. Hughes never became a paid contributor at either channel.

Socivol

The irony is this woman being a Trump supporter that straight up said he commits sexual assault. She defended it as "locker room talk" on CNN.

Fox is a cesspool. There's no doubt.

But this woman apparently received career opportunities and increased airtime over the course of two years, which she seemingly participated in willingly.

None of this changes what happened that first night where Payne allegedly entered into her hotel room. But this fact pattern is a goddamned defense attorney's dream. Her actions cast substantial doubt upon whether the initial encounter was consensual.

On the other hand, even as written, this is some straight up quid pro quo bullshit that underlines the hostile work environment that defines Fox.

So, sleazy and terribly Fox-like, but keep in mind, these are the allegations of Hughes, the plaintiff, in a situation where it seems allegations of rape didn't lead to any criminal prosecution (which itself, while not telling, is a useful data point).

tbm24

The irony is this woman being a Trump supporter that straight up said he commits sexual assault. She defended it as "locker room talk" on CNN.
*Edit*
Sorry y'all, confused her with someone else.

Fox is a cesspool. There's no doubt.

But this woman apparently received career opportunities and increased airtime over the course of two years, which she seemingly participated in willingly.

None of this changes what happened that first night where Payne allegedly entered into her hotel room. But this fact pattern is a goddamned defense attorney's dream. Her actions cast substantial doubt upon whether the initial encounter was consensual.

On the other hand, even as written, this is some straight up quid pro quo bullshit that underlines the hostile work environment that defines Fox.

So, sleazy and terribly Fox-like, but keep in mind, these are the allegations of Hughes, the plaintiff, in a situation where it seems allegations of rape didn't lead to any criminal prosecution (which itself, while not telling, is a useful data point).

You could swap out these two names and insert Student and University teacher and it'd still be wrong. That she was, according to her, coerced into accepting these benefits inexchange for sex puts the power dynamic front and center.

As soon as I googled her and saw her face an image of her defending Trump on that came to mind. It's all great until it happens to you, isnt it?

Pretty sure she isn't a Trump supporter.

Oh yes she is. You better believe it.

tbm24

Oh she definitely was on CNN defending him all the time, she said lots of horrible things and lied a lot
You know, I'm thinking of the wrong person. I haven't seen her on TV for such a long time that I thought we were talking about S.E. CUPP. Sorry y'all.

You could swap out these two names and insert Student and University teacher and it'd still be wrong. That she was, according to her, coerced into accepting these benefits inexchange for sex puts the power dynamic front and center.

Nope. You can't really do that, actually -- at least, not with the facts as presented. This isn't a supervisor-subordinate relationship; it's more of an admittedly twisted mentor-protege one.

I feel like, since I'm staking out a contrarian position, I need to mention the fact that I've actually put rapists in prison.

I'm simply pointing out the weaknesses in the criminal case, which is why said case didn't go forward, and that I think Hughes is going to have a difficult time convincing a jury of her allegations (unless Fox just quietly settles the damn thing).

Edit: Actually, let me be clear. Given Fox's track record, depending on how this actually moves forward, there's a much better shot at a general hostile work environment claim. I've said that from the beginning. I just think that labeling anyone a straight-up "rapist," purely based upon one side's allegations, is a bridge too far.

The Article said:
The lawsuit, alleging gender motivated violence, gender discrimination, retaliation and defamation, was filed on Monday in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. It named 21st Century Fox, Fox News and Mr. Payne.

Yeah, I see the counts on gender discrimination, retaliation, and maybe defamation surviving. Just a ballpark estimate. Obviously, it's just way too early in the game to see how this will play out.

tbm24

Nope. You can't really do that, actually -- at least, not with the facts as presented. This isn't a supervisor-subordinate relationship; it's more of an admittedly twisted mentor-protege one.

I feel like, since I'm staking out a contrarian position, I need to mention the fact that I've actually put rapists in prison.

I'm simply pointing out the weaknesses in the criminal case, which is why said case didn't go forward, and that I think Hughes is going to have a difficult time convincing a jury of her allegations (unless Fox just quietly settles the damn thing).

Edit: Actually, let me be clear. Given Fox's track record, depending on how this actually moves forward, there's a much better shot at a general hostile work environment claim. I've said that from the beginning. I just think that labeling anyone a straight-up "rapist," purely based upon one side's allegations, is a bridge too far.
I'll defer to you since you have the knowledge with regards to the reality of a case such as this. I was more focusing on the fact that what she says she went through is pretty much 1:1 with all the allegations against the other Fox personalities who've since gotten the boot/died. I get that she benefitted, it just reads like this person groomed her for 2 years. Which seems to be the hot thing to do at Fox is you were high in the food chain.

I'll defer to you since your knowledge with regards to the reality of a case such as this. I was more focusing on the fact that what she says she went through is pretty much 1:1 with all the allegations against the other Fox personalities who've since gotten the boot/died. I get that she benefitted, it just reads like this person groomed her for 2 years.

Oh, let there be no doubt: the track record is terrible and pretty much everyone outside of Shep Smith at Fox is presumptively a predatory grade-A asshole.

(God, I really don't want to be on record defending Fox News.)

That pattern of misconduct is absolutely going to help her case.

I'm having a difficult time believing that someone who defended Trump's locker room talk basically exchanged sex for career oppurtunities. She may be a victim but not completely innocent either.

It's insane to me. I don't understand her logic either. She should be ashamed of herself.

It makes me so conflicted. She shouldn't be raped. Helping prop up rape culture via career partisan politics is a step up from wearing something revealing to a bar with men, ya know? LIke she literally helped foster the environment she's deriding.

Socivol

I feel like they should be using their platform to advocate against sexual assault and for paid maternity leave even if they don't get those benefits. I don't understand how someone who is a sexual assault victim could minimize the exact language that leads to sexaul assault.

Socivol

It makes me so conflicted. She shouldn't be raped. Helping prop up rape culture via career partisan politics is a step up from wearing something revealing to a bar with men, ya know? LIke she literally helped foster the environment she's deriding.

100% agreed. She is perpetuating a system that has been very problematic for herself personally.

I have a hard time feeling for this woman, which sucks.

Even though this shit is sad and it happened to her, what are the chances she's still a 100% loyal Trump supporter, believes all Muslims are terrorists, thinks all those that march for BLM are thugs, that Blues Lives Matter, and that all immigrants (or people that look like 'em) should be sent back to their own countries? Even when they are victims, it is hard to feel for people that believe in utterly disgusting things.

So after she was raped, she kept having sex with him for the next two years with promises of a contract with Fox, which never materialized. But she kept showing up for free on Fox to help them make money and support Donald Trump and all the other horrible sexist, racist, bigoted right wing ideas and people Fox loves?

Gonna be hard to convince a jury that she's a victim after all that.

This is why Feminism cant get anywhere smh

So after she was raped, she kept having sex with him for the next two years with promises of a contract with Fox, which never materialized. But she kept showing up for free on Fox to help them make money and support Donald Trump and all the other horrible sexist, racist, bigoted right wing ideas and people Fox loves?

Gonna be hard to convince a jury that she's a victim after all that.

Well she's def a victim, but she's also a flawed human being who's actively helping herself be victimized by internalizing awful expectations of the world.

Thats the one thing conservatives have right, its about them bootsraps and not compromising yourself.

Sometimes you're so in the matrix of bullshit that you dont even see how you're hurting yourself in the process lol.

I mean, at the end of the day, White Supremacy is a danger to white people too (it devolves into eugenics BS) and it causes people to destory their own humanity but some people are so underneath all that bullshit they cant help but perpetuate it

It's a bloody shame. Only way to get out of it is to stop being a victim and start being a warrior.for the righteous

Top Bottom