• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Found a never before seen Samurai Shodown 64 prototype

VGEsoterica

Maybe people on Gaf will care about this...maybe they wont? Lol either way it's not every day a one of a kind piece of development equipment from SNK lands in my lap.

From what I can tell based upon the dates and the differences in the HUD and colors it's the AOU 1997 demo build that SNK showed off when revealing the Hyper Neo Geo 64 hareware to the press for the first time. Either way after a thorough cleaning it booted up first try and it's definitely a beta of one of the rarest Samurai Shodown games around...so that's cool.

Eventually I will get this out to the community so anyone who wants to can check it out. Acquired it to make sure it WOULDNT sit in a collection and never be seen again.

z6brxP0.jpg

BlackSandrock10

Neo Member
Oh, man......I remember playing this many years back alongside Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition. I hope that someone emulates the Hyper Neo-Geo 64 properly but....that's been in development hell for so many years!

Aldynes

Eventually I will get this out to the community so anyone who wants to can check it out. Acquired it to make sure it WOULDNT sit in a collection and never be seen again
Good work man, I'm sure some FGC fans will find that interesting, i'll always remember when RE 1.5 got in the hands of PLAYSTATION MUSEUM guy and he never shared it with the community... Years of waiting.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that looks surprisingly good.

VGEsoterica

Good work man, I'm sure some FGC fans will find that interesting, i'll always remember when RE 1.5 got in the hands of PLAYSTATION MUSEUM guy and he never shared it with the community... Years of waiting.
Lol that whole 1.5 boondoggle. Has it ever actually been released? I know one build released at like 40% done but I kept hearing about some 75% version

Aldynes

Lol that whole 1.5 boondoggle. Has it ever actually been released? I know one build released at like 40% done but I kept hearing about some 75% version
Exactly, the one that got released is the 40% build, there's certainly a more completed build somewhere since in many of the trailers that had been made you can see cut scenes (in game models not pre-rendered) with voice acting, and Birkin in a more advanced form in the lab killing a spider/human BOW

So yes it exist, since all of that is not present in the 40% build we got, I can't tell you more I didn't keep up either with the whole story, if someone here know more please share with us.

VGEsoterica

Exactly, the one that got released is the 40% build, there's certainly a more completed build somewhere since in many of the trailers that had been made you can see cut scenes (in game models not pre-rendered) with voice acting, and Birkin in a more advanced form in the lab killing a spider/human BOW

So yes it exist, since all of that is not present in the 40% build we got, I can't tell you more I didn't keep up either with the whole story, if someone here know more please share with us.

That’s what I don’t understand. The mentality of just letting something languish on a shelf. What fun is there to be had when only one person gets to experience something?

Its like art. I don’t understand why someone would pay 10 million to hang a painting in their house but I DO understand why a rich person would spend 10 million to buy and donate that same painting in the permanent collection of a museum.

Acquiring rare items that you can share seems way more satisfying than just shelf queening them

This is one of those games that I always had an interest in. As a kid it popped up in EGM and GameFan a couple times but I never saw it "in the wild". Really interesting piece of SNK's history

BTW I love your videos man.

VGEsoterica

This is one of those games that I always had an interest in. As a kid it popped up in EGM and GameFan a couple times but I never saw it "in the wild". Really interesting piece of SNK's history

BTW I love your videos man.
Same. The only Hyper game I ever saw in the wild during the release era was Beast Busters. Never saw any others

also glad you like the videos!

VGEsoterica

How does it play?
I’ll show all the gameplay off in a vid on weds of next week but really well. The camera is a lot more zoomed in and I actually prefer it that way to the retail release.

also some of the gameplay elements like locking your weapon with your opponent and having to button mash to overpower them happen a lot more in the beta which I rather enjoy

nkarafo

Man, those C&VG magazine scans...

5th generation of consoles was by far the best era for this magazine.

kunonabi

A zoomed in camera is interesting but considering how big a deal ringouts were in that game not to mention some of the other issues with the camera zooming out is probably still the better choice. Sword locks were frequent enough in my local scene but that tends to happen when you got Ukyo players around.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

A zoomed in camera is interesting but considering how big a deal ringouts were in that game not to mention some of the other issues with the camera so zooming out is probably still the better choice. Sword locks were frequent enough in my local scene but that tends to happen when you got Ukyo players around.
I’ll show more next weds but weirdly I could not get a ring out to occur. You can knock someone out of the arena but they grab and pull themselves back up almost instantaneously.

when I was knocked off the edge I didn’t even have to push anything for the game to bring me back to the arena

I can’t say ring outs aren’t programmed into this version but if they are it’s MUCH harder to make it happen

VGEsoterica

Crazy, if ringouts were that much rarer character balance would have been super different.
Right? It seems like ringouts are much harder (if not impossible) to make happen but lockup’s seem more common from my limited experience.

I mean in one match I’ll show on weds I was fighting right up against the end of the rope bridge on the canyon level and I never even once fell and grabbed the ledge. Normally that would have been a pretty much guaranteed L

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yeah it should be fun. Granted the dumping of the game won’t be fun lol. I wish it was more like a SNES prototype where there were two chips to deal with. This thing has 96 roms to dump so...that’ll be fun 🤣
I don't know anything about dumping ROMs, but that sounds miserable.

Top Bottom