• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport Coming in 2023 | New Details Revealed

Senua

That's literally a 360p YouTube grab lmao wtf
I don't need a super resolution image to tell when a car model is lacking detail but I got the high res one just for you deary!

BWkoj1L.png

Game looks great, but car models need to be more consistent, cars that were added in early games still lack detail especially in head and rear lights

Just watched the Forza show they did today, and it sucked. Nothing new from yesterday. Don't waste your time. The only thing they did say, is that they will reveal more info "in the coming months". We might be a ways off from release?
It's coming out this year and that is good enough for me. I would have liked it today but this year seems to have a ton of games coming out. Starfield, Spider-Man 2, RE4 remake, Dead Space tomorrow, etc.

I think the game is not anywhere near ready yet. It seems it's an Q3 - Q4 launch, judging by some screenshots. Laguna Seca especially looks Beta.

akvE4nY.jpg

Background on the right looks unfinished.

x6FzRkb.jpg

In this picture we can see how the lightning is much better than before, much more natural, and how the cars fit right into the environments. Also, we can see awful background textures on the upper right hand, bad 3D models for the crowd and spectator cars, and on the left, bad shadows.

FAAdPLj.jpg

This is not anywhere near the best looking game to date yet as some were saying. Maybe if they fix all these (imo old build) problems, it can stand a chance. I'm worried that for RT/60 gameplay they needed to cut some corners, but I think/hope it's just a case of an old build showing in these trailers. Also, GT7 had a similar problem with one of its trailers - they showed some awful looking trees that were improved upon launch.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Hopefully GT7 falls to sub £30 digitally in a sale soon. I need a fix and this does look far out IMO. Shame they couldn't get it ready sooner to save me some cash.

Tommi84

When was there an announcement that Starfield is not longer H1 of 2023? I am not saying it is, but nothing has been said. In fact, if anything, it's been reinforced.
At the end of last year, it was HEAVILY suspected that Starfield will release after Redfall

I don't think they plan on modeling 10,000 people accurately.
I hope they improve it. Come on. This is supposed to be a next gen showcase, we need these minor things to look good at least, not have triangle heads. You touched on a good point though - 10,000 people is maybe accurate, there's a LOT of things on the screen there, similar to Ratchet n Clank opening, of course the more models the less the fidelity.

But those things stick out like an eye-sore when you're on a time trial just enjoying the visuals..

Kvally

Banned
I hope they improve it. Come on. This is supposed to be a next gen showcase, we need these minor things to look good at least, not have triangle heads. You touched on a good point though - 10,000 people is maybe accurate, there's a LOT of things on the screen there, similar to Ratchet n Clank opening, of course the more models the less the fidelity.

But those things stick out like an eye-sore when you're on a time trial just enjoying the visuals..
For me, I would rather they cut that to 5000 or even 2500 and focus entirely on physics and performance.

GHG

Gold Member
:messenger_horns: Skipped out on Sport but loved 4, 5 and 6.

Sport is the best one. Yes I'm a heathen.

But seriously, after getting addicted to Sport mode I just can't race against the AI for an extended period of time in any racing game any more. Its just not the same and it's an area where the genre has really failed to innovate.

GT7 disappointed me because they didn't expand on Sport mode from Sport and in many ways it was a step back so it's the least played GT game for me by quite some distance. So now I exclusively play iracing and anything hosted by low fuel Motorsport (ACC and Rfactor 2).

Unless this Forza has made some big changes to the way online races are organised and wheel support then I most likely won't bother. The drivatar system is just bad.

Last edited:
nah mate you are confused, GT is the one with vacuum cleaners sounds lmao

How about you guys actually watch a YT video of these real life racing cars like Le Mans etc. That is how they sound. A Ferrari or Lambo doesnt, but these hyper racing cars do not sound like a road car but like a vacuum as you say. You people talk about this for 20+ years hmmm maybe the developers making these games would by now fix the issue. Oh wait, there never was an issue because they have professionals going out there and recording of real life track focused cars. Some of you really dont know shit about racing cars. You drive a Ford Fiesta and think every car sounds like that:

Last edited:
How about you guys actually watch a YT video of these real life racing cars like Le Mans etc. That is how they sound. A Ferrari or Lambo doesnt, but these hyper racing cars do not sound like a road car but like a vacuum as you say. You people talk about this for 20+ years hmmm maybe the developers making these games would by now fix the issue. Oh wait, there never was an issue because they have professionals going out there and recording of real life track focused cars. Some of you really dont know shit about racing cars. You drive a Ford Fiesta and think every car sounds like that:

Because my issue, has never been about those track only cars that you mentioned. I've played enough of those games and watched enough YT videos to know that they at least got those sounds right or close to reference at least. My issue, is that they stopped there and somehow chose to ignore street legal cars like s2000's, miatas, viper, Lfa and so on and so forth. An issue that Playground , which shares dev material with Turn10 by the way, clearly stated it rectified, by re-recording and using the highest quality engine sound samples.

And yet, the engine sounds of a lot of the cars lacked that oomph, that roar that you get from the real thing and judging from the recent dev update video that Turn10 hasn't touched the sounds that much and that has always been my gripe with Horizon 5 & GT7 and I went into that Forza Motorsport trailer expecting to hear some improvements with those engine sounds. Imagine my surprise when I noticed barely any. The engine sounds of Track only vehicles like 911 rsr's & P1 Gtr's isn't the problem (they got those right some time ago), it's the sounds of street legal cars, that sound just ok and have been an issue within the racing genre as the major franchises struggled to get them right for generations now and while I accepted that last gen, I won't give anyone a free pass this gen, since they have all the processing "horsepower" to use the highest quality engine sound samples they could possibly get their hands on, even on the cheap ass street legal cars. This game has been 6 years in the making, the least they could do is iron these engine sounds properly.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I have all the forza games released and I've never cared about the quantity of cars compared to the quality.

I think most players use at the most 30 to 50 cars so I'd always say best to perfect a smaller amount.

It would likely save money for image rights on the cars too.

Forza is not excactly a sim. It's a simcade, just like gran turismo. It strikes the right balance between simulation and fun. Thats why I like it. I'm looking forward to get more information about the campaign mode and how tuning works in the new game. I hope it comes out in the first half. Late 2023 would be a bummer.

yeah that looks so cool. FM7 already had that, but it seems like they took it to the next level.
Not having a release date in this conference is a guarantee it won't ship until late 2023

I think the game is not anywhere near ready yet. It seems it's an Q3 - Q4 launch, judging by some screenshots. Laguna Seca especially looks Beta.

akvE4nY.jpg

Background on the right looks unfinished.

x6FzRkb.jpg

In this picture we can see how the lightning is much better than before, much more natural, and how the cars fit right into the environments. Also, we can see awful background textures on the upper right hand, bad 3D models for the crowd and spectator cars, and on the left, bad shadows.

FAAdPLj.jpg

This is not anywhere near the best looking game to date yet as some were saying. Maybe if they fix all these (imo old build) problems, it can stand a chance. I'm worried that for RT/60 gameplay they needed to cut some corners, but I think/hope it's just a case of an old build showing in these trailers. Also, GT7 had a similar problem with one of its trailers - they showed some awful looking trees that were improved upon launch.
If rt gi and reflections are both in gameplay on the consoles then everything the previous 2 years tells us is that they WILL have to cut some corners. Especially since they're targeting native 4k ...just ..why? Should used FSR like they have with the PC version of FH5 and upscaled that bitch.

Speaking of fsr why the hell havn't they implemented it on the next gen consoles? Feels like the consoles are an afterthought which also makes me question if yesterday's footage was even running on the Series X ...MS has been known to pass off PC footage as Series X footage.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Looks good but not a big enough racing fan to go in on both GT7 and Forza

Especially with GT7 getting VR support

I’ll probably give forza a whirl but not much more
Kind of the same situation for me. It's like sure, I can buy and enjoy FM, but I'll probably just not enjoy it as much as GT7 with VR.

On a side note: I think Pavlov is going to ruin many flat FPS games for me.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Hopefully GT7 falls to sub £30 digitally in a sale soon. I need a fix and this does look far out IMO. Shame they couldn't get it ready sooner to save me some cash.
I picked it up when it went down to $40 on PSN and boy, did I have fun with that game. It's so well done and polished; I found it really difficult to put it down. Exhibit A:

oFKxKZ5.jpg

And I'm not a car racing game fan, to be honest. For reference, I haven't purchased any NFS since Most Wanted, any Dirt game, any Crew game, any Forza game, any Forza Horizon game, etc.

GT7 is the goat! 🔥 You won't regret it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It looks like a marginally prettier version of the last one. What exactly is new? Or is it just minute graphical updates that you never see in a race?
Specs, bro. Typing out the specs in a post. ;)

Does look good, but "best looking game ever" hyperbole. Nah. Looking forward to the video later with more gameplay/modes details. Hopefully not a rerun of last night's specs talk.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

I picked it up when it went down to $40 on PSN and boy, did I have fun with that game. It's so well done and polished; I found it really difficult to put it down. Exhibit A:

oFKxKZ5.jpg

And I'm not a car racing game fan, to be honest. For reference, I haven't purchased any NFS since Most Wanted, any Dirt game, any Crew game, any Forza game, any Forza Horizon game, etc.

GT7 is the goat! 🔥 You won't regret it.
Is it really worth $70? Last racing game I played was Real Racing 3 on mobile lol, sort of lost interest after that in the genre.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If rt gi and reflections are both in gameplay on the consoles then everything the previous 2 years tells us is that they WILL have to cut some corners. Especially since they're targeting native 4k ...just ..why? Should used FSR like they have with the PC version of FH5 and upscaled that bitch.

Speaking of fsr why the hell havn't they implemented it on the next gen consoles? Feels like the consoles are an afterthought which also makes me question if yesterday's footage was even running on the Series X ...MS has been known to pass off PC footage as Series X footage.
It wasn't on Series X. It was on PC. You can see the mouse cursor on the left side of the number plate, where it says "GTLM"

I3RSGWw.jpg

Btw, the existence of a mouse cursor may also indicate that this is a video render playback or a jpeg. I don't see why there would be a mouse cursor on the screen during gameplay in a car racing game.

Last edited:

NickFire

Another game that seems to be slipping to late '23 at best and makes me sad
I gave them the benefit of the doubt and predicted a March 2023 release date this morning. I previously assumed the lack of games at the award show was a litigation strategy. Now I'm thinking that was a really bad assumption.

Second random thought. I'm pretty sure there was robust debate between which game would be better in 2021 and into 2022 (GT or Forza). Those discussions would probably have been different if everyone knew there would be a gap of 1.5 - 2 years between their launches, with one adding VR before the second even launched.

Third random thought. What exactly was MS planning for 1st party this generation before they bought Bethesda?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It wasn't on Series X. It was on PC. You can see the mouse cursor on the left side of the number plate, where it says "GTLM"

I3RSGWw.jpg

Btw, the existence of a mouse cursor may also indicate that this is a video render playback or a jpeg. I don't see why there would be a mouse cursor on the screen during gameplay in a car racing game.
If it didn't say "captured on the XSX" chances are it was the PC.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

I3RSGWw.jpg

It's almost like they're using PCs to create the game. Crazy.

Because my issue, has never been about those track only cars that you mentioned. I've played enough of those games and watched enough YT videos to know that they at least got those sounds right or close to reference at least. My issue, is that they stopped there and somehow chose to ignore street legal cars like s2000's, miatas, viper, Lfa and so on and so forth. An issue that Playground , which shares dev material with Turn10 by the way, clearly stated it rectified, by re-recording and using the highest quality engine sound samples.

And yet, the engine sounds of a lot of the cars lacked that oomph, that roar that you get from the real thing and judging from the recent dev update video that Turn10 hasn't touched the sounds that much and that has always been my gripe with Horizon 5 & GT7 and I went into that Forza Motorsport trailer expecting to hear some improvements with those engine sounds. Imagine my surprise when I noticed barely any. The engine sounds of Track only vehicles like 911 rsr's & P1 Gtr's isn't the problem (they got those right some time ago), it's the sounds of street legal cars, that sound just ok and have been an issue within the racing genre as the major franchises struggled to get them right for generations now and while I accepted that last gen, I won't give anyone a free pass this gen, since they have all the processing "horsepower" to use the highest quality engine sound samples they could possibly get their hands on, even on the cheap ass street legal cars. This game has been 6 years in the making, the least they could do is iron these engine sounds properly.
Yeah man. I was expecting Gt7 to sound amazing with all their talk about 3d audio and such. The 3d audio ain't great in that game on the pulse headset. It's just ok.

Umbasaborne

Banned
When was there an announcement that Starfield is not longer H1 of 2023? I am not saying it is, but nothing has been said. In fact, if anything, it's been reinforced.
If starfield was still coming out the first half of this year they would have said it by now, enough rumors of a delay going around that they would want to nip it in the bud

Kvally

Banned
They didn't say RTGI in game, so only RT reflections?

From Turn 10:

"We’re building our materials and shaders from the ground up for a cutting-edge ray tracing experience"

"Forza Motorsport renders all these environments with real-time ray tracing on-track, which creates true-to-life reflections on all smooth mirror and flat glass surfaces. We also use ray traced global illumination to simulate how hundreds of thousands of light rays accumulate color as they bounce between surfaces."

https://forza.net/news/forza-motorsport-developer-direct

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
From Turn 10:

"We’re building our materials and shaders from the ground up for a cutting-edge ray tracing experience"

"Forza Motorsport renders all these environments with real-time ray tracing on-track, which creates true-to-life reflections on all smooth mirror and flat glass surfaces. We also use ray traced global illumination to simulate how hundreds of thousands of light rays accumulate color as they bounce between surfaces."

https://forza.net/news/forza-motorsport-developer-direct
That part says nothing about real time RTGI on track and shows only in one stationary car. Confusing.

Top Bottom