• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 8 Ray Tracing Will Be A Part Of Next Generation.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to an announcement from Turn 10 Studios, Forza Motorsport 8 ray tracing will be part of a talk being given at the Game Developers’ Conference this year, likely meaning the game will be pulling out all the stops for the Xbox Series X and Forza Motorsport 8 itself in the next generation.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’m really looking forward to finally seeing games running on next-gen hardware itself. This is pretty high up there, given how good these games (both genre and this series) tend to look.

JLB

Banned
Ray tracing in a racing game will be a game changer. There is no better genre to show off the tech.

Indeed. Just imagine Forza Motorsport 8 with highest level of detail on cars, and ray tracing. Just that would be mindblowing.

DrNeroCF

Ray tracing in a racing game will be a game changer. There is no better genre to show off the tech.

Still haven't seen anything ray traced that's convinced me it's that much of a step up. Aren't racing games full of correct reflections already anyway?

Banned
Dynamic bumper reflections incoming?

well they already have that in Horizon 4...

which is honestly why I hope they use it conservatively and only on surfaces that actually need it like big bodies of water and windows on buildings.
the reflections on the cars themselves are already almost perfect, slight enhancements to their already implemented solution would most likely save a lot of resources and wouldn't look much worse than raytracing.

Dory16

Banned
well they already have that in Horizon 4...

which is honestly why I hope they use it conservatively and only on surfaces that actually need it like big bodies of water and windows on buildings.
Well I guess with true ray tracing they no longer need to select what projects a reflection. I may have an idealist view but the existence of reflections should now be automatically determined by the nature of the surface and the current position of the source of light. Just FM8 is reason enough to upgrade a far as I'm concerned.

Banned
Well I guess with true ray tracing they no longer need to select what projects a reflection. I may have an idealist view but the existence of reflections should now be automatically determined by the nature of the surface and the current position of the source of light. Just FM8 is reason enough to upgrade a far as I'm concerned.

most games don't use 100% accurate raytracing tho. many engines still have checks for objects and effects that should be reflected. for example, in Battlefield 5 decals like bullet holes in walls do not get displayed in RT reflections.

RT could improve the car reflections in Forza, for example if there is a smaller tree reflected on your car in Horizon 4 and you run it over, it will instantly disappear in the reflection instead of correctly reflecting how it falls over... but those are really small details.
but all I'm saying is that I hope they don't push raytracing to the max and therefore sacrifice more important stuff.
less pop-in would be my priority if I was them, that's the only big issue I have with Horizon 4's graphics honestly

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I am sort of looking forward to this game since always the first entry in a generation is the coolest. My beef is that I know that if I wait a little Microsoft will just give away the title.

Does it come free with GamePass?

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
most games don't use 100% accurate raytracing tho. many engines still have checks for objects and effects that should be reflected. for example, in Battlefield 5 decals like bullet holes in walls do not get displayed in RT reflections.

RT could improve the car reflections in Forza, for example if there is a smaller tree reflected on your car in Horizon 4 and you run it over, it will instantly disappear in the reflection instead of correctly reflecting how it falls over... but those are really small details.
but all I'm saying is that I hope they don't push raytracing to the max and therefore sacrifice more important stuff.
less pop-in would be my priority if I was them, that's the only big issue I have with Horizon 4's graphics honestly
I concur. It's easy to imagine it being very demanding in resources and let's be honest, when you're trying to win a race, you're not exactly focused on the 100% accuracy of the reflections on your back bumper. VRR should help balancing the budget in a way that makes sense.
I hope that the overall illumination in the game will also benefit from ray tracing and hopefully look a bit more life like. You can still tell pretty easily that FH4 is a video game and in FM7 it doesn't take long. Hopefully we're getting closer to the point where you have to scan longer to be sure.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
They had this planned since 2011, they even gave us a teaser back then :)
This is the same model they use right now in Forza Motorsport 7 since Forza Motorsport 5 but with ray tracing
forza-motorsport-4-ferrari-458-italia-68671.jpg

forza-motorsport-4-ferrari-458-italia-68665.jpg

forza-motorsport-4-ferrari-458-italia-68666.jpg

DrNeroCF

Have you watched this?

Forget about that one, definitely the most impressive I've seen so far and looks as good as a pre-rendered cutscene. The scale is so small on it though I can't imagine it would be difficult to fake those reflections without raytracing, though. Small scale tech demos like that have always looked incredible.

Racing games specifically are already a showcase for reflections and lighting, how much better could raytracing make those look?

Neo 007

Really looking forward to the next Forza title.
New tyre model,ray tracing....Just hope they make the replays better.

JLB

Banned
Forget about that one, definitely the most impressive I've seen so far and looks as good as a pre-rendered cutscene. The scale is so small on it though I can't imagine it would be difficult to fake those reflections without raytracing, though. Small scale tech demos like that have always looked incredible.

Racing games specifically are already a showcase for reflections and lighting, how much better could raytracing make those look?

well, i guess we will have the answer this holiday!

Dory16

Banned
This is the same model they use right now in Forza Motorsport 7 since Forza Motorsport 5 but with ray tracing

Goddam. Trying not to get too excited. Let's wait for the demo from Turn 10.

GustavoLT

What do have in mind?

Personally I don’t want a stupid boring story about someone becoming the greatest champion ever known.
no story, no cutscenes... but something that make me fell like i´m progressing in game, most of all... give us lots of tracks!
start at button... make money, buy better parts for your car, fix the car from races you have done, by tickets for higher classes championships....

What do have in mind?

Personally I don’t want a stupid boring story about someone becoming the greatest champion ever known.
For me Forza two career mode was the best they've done. I want to feel like I earn my way up to better cars forced to start off in a crappy second hand car that I have to upgrade then can afford something a bit better as I win, needing to get licenses to race faster cars. When did this stop being a thing? Now it's like you get 500 super cars thrown at you the moment you start and for me the fun is working your way up there.

Dontero

Banned

It won't for simple reason. Most of features of raytracing that made it look so good already got emulated in current reprojection methods.

The biggest change raytracing brings to picture is materials that properly defract and interact with light. Which is what gives you leather like look, metalic etc. That aspect is almost completely emulated now with advent of PBR rendering and it is reason why people struggle to see difference between RTX on and off.

The other avenue that raytracing might bring that could make our eyes pop is dynamic lighting. Only in raytracking it is possible to have 1000s of dynamic lights compared to something like 9-10 for current generation games. But hardware is simply not there to run it fast and it won't be for next few years.

All others like reflections are something that can be easily made into fakes that can trick our brains to think they are correct.

Reprojection method games use today is basically already 92% correct and with each advancement it gets closer and closer to raytracing.

Current games look much better than CGI cinematics that were raytraced from games released years ago.

that is autovista model which is already used in games. Games load up better looking asset and changes lighting to higher res.
IT does not use raytracking. Everything you see here is just normal rendering.

But you are still right. Car games are best place to show graphics.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
It won't for simple reason. Most of features of raytracing that made it look so good already got emulated in current reprojection methods.

The biggest change raytracing brings to picture is materials that properly defract and interact with light. Which is what gives you leather like look, metalic etc. That aspect is almost completely emulated now with advent of PBR rendering and it is reason why people struggle to see difference between RTX on and off.

The other avenue that raytracing might bring that could make our eyes pop is dynamic lighting. Only in raytracking it is possible to have 1000s of dynamic lights compared to something like 9-10 for current generation games. But hardware is simply not there to run it fast and it won't be for next few years.

All others like reflections are something that can be easily made into fakes that can trick our brains to think they are correct.

Reprojection method games use today is basically already 92% correct and with each advancement it gets closer and closer to raytracing.

Current games look much better than CGI cinematics that were raytraced from games released years ago.

that is autovista model which is already used in games. Games load up better looking asset and changes lighting to higher res.
IT does not use raytracking. Everything you see here is just normal rendering.

But you are still right. Car games are best place to show graphics.
This was a render for there future targets, and you can clearly see ray traced shadows, ray traced reflections and ray traced GI. Just look in the interior shot, and look at the mirrors and the speedometer. You see light bounce, you see high quality self reflections without SSR errors, you see self shadowing and high quality shadow indirect shadows.

Top Bottom