• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 is a beautiful game, but ...

the aliasing is borderline criminal.

I usually prefer to play racing titles sitting very close to the screen with a wheel and pedals, but I just can't with FH5. The image quality breaks down completely when you get close - it's just staircases and flickering all over.

Now I sit a couple meters away with the controller and the game looks absolutely incredible at 4k - that combination of distance and resolution makes the aliasing imperceivable.

Topher

Gold Member
the aliasing is borderline criminal.

I usually prefer to play racing titles sitting very close to the screen with a wheel and pedals, but I just can't with FH5. The image quality breaks down completely when you get close - it's just staircases and flickering all over.

Now I sit a couple meters away with the controller and the game looks absolutely incredible at 4k - that combination of distance and resolution makes the aliasing imperceivable.

What are you playing on? Looks fine on XSX for me. I don't see aliasing at all.

FrankWza

The image quality breaks down completely when you get close - it's just staircases and flickering all over.
Eddie Murphy GIF by Coming to America

Certinty

Too right, it's actually shocking how much praise the visuals in this game altogether get.

It's a great looking game but given how some people overhype it you would think it's the best looking game ever made, which it isn't even close to being.

I've actually seen some people get attacked online for saying it doesn't look "next-gen" and in all honesty to an extent I completely agree.

sncvsrtoip

yep, game is for sure one of best looking, like my top 5 probably but aliasing on foliage is not great also visible pop up (especialy on performance mode on xsx)

Markio128

I clearly didn’t learn my lesson with FH4. FH5 looks great (though not perfect because 30fps is not ideal for racing and 60fps has really noticeable pop-in) and sounds great, but I just don’t find the racing itself engaging enough. In racing games, I really do believe less is more, because it allows you to perfect tracks and appreciate their layouts. However, with FH5 I find myself flitting from one race to another without really finding anything to shout about regarding the track layouts, or the races themselves.

Give me Ridge Racer, Project Gotham Racing, Motorstorm or Burnout for my arcade racer fix any day of the week.

FrankWza

Pretty much how it is with a sim rig in front of a big screen. But it works fine with other titles, especially with TAA (Dirt Rally 2 for example..) the image holds up to that scrutiny.
I don’t think they expected many to play this game with a wheel. The game has millions of users and series compatible wheel and pedals stayed in stock the whole period of prerelease through now. That could be a factor when they decided to design it this way. When a big sim game releases it’s always hard to find dedicated peripherals and this isn’t that kind of game

ToTTenTranz

Banned
It's quite apparent even with 4x msaa on my 34" 1440p screen. Let me try higher resolution scaling but it's gonna tax hard

I have a similar screen and I hit the best results with super sampling 3840x1600 + 4xMSAA + FXAA.

I found 8x MSAA to be too taxing on my 6900XT and 4x MSAA alone to have too much aliasing (which is kind of weird to be honest).

TheStam

Agreed Anti-aliasing is pretty bad for a 2021 title. It's been like that in every FH game. Sure 8XMSAA helps but at the same time, this series benefits so much from high frames, does a whole lot for sense of speed, that I just live with 2X or 4X on 1440p with supersampling through the driver. Performance is a lot choppier than FH4 with not being that much better looking really. Micro stutters a lot for me with unlocked frame rate, but hopefully it will get better with patches. I recall perfomance getting better a while after release in 3 and 4. AA gonna be what it is though probably.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Amazing game (series), amazing graphics, but yeah, in almost 2022 such an AAA game should be totally free of jaggies, even on base XBO.

Top Bottom