• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 in-engine footage shows weather and lighting effects

MastAndo

Gold Member
Impressive stuff. I hadn't been into a driving game since the Project Gotham series way back when, but I tried FH4 on a whim and fell in love. Really looking forward to this one!

JackMcGunns

Banned
Yeah i don't know dude, i always pronounce forza without any other letter, it's a pretty simple italian word to pronounce, it's not something like supercalifragilistichespiralidoso or some shit.

Because for you, that sound rolls off effortlessly, but for an English speaking person, adding a T is the closets approximation. In Spanish it's Fuerza, and depending on your region, it's either Foo-air-tha or Foo-air-tsa. At the end of the day it's a name and should be pronounced the way it was given. The developers say it's For-tsa, so we'll go with the author.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
What's an opinion worth when it's a house made out of Play-Doh?

UE5 is literally just a demo, and Metro is a completely different type of game artistically. The only thing it has that's "next-gen" that this doesn't is RT in-game and you don't really need RT to achieve photorealism.

Just like how you don't need "next-gen" game design (honestly what even quantifies as "next-gen" design. Genuinely curious if folks can back this up with examples that sound like they make any sense) to have great game design, otherwise almost none of Nintendo's games the past decade or so would be considered good.
You need to go thru a random portal in a Mclaren at 250+mph to visit mars in 0.0015 sec where you race against 100 aliens that destroy skyscrapers to stop you from winning. Otherwise we can't call a racing game next gen, its just more of the same.

Prison Mike

Banned
To all these numb nuts, my comment was nothing about console warrioring, only your feeble little minds would think that.
My comment was about a no news OP about tech that exists for a loooong time in other games, also there are numerous other Forza 5 threads this could be inserted.
Take care fellow kids.
Brady Bunch K GIF

He's entitled to his opinion, even if it's wrong.
To all these numb nuts, my comment was nothing about console warrioring, only your feeble little minds would think that.
My comment was about a no news OP about tech that exists for a loooong time in other games, also there are numerous other Forza 5 threads this could be inserted.
Take care fellow kids.
I think you'll find no other developer does the sky like Forza Horizon. They've literally taken huge amounts of 12k pictures of the sky around Mexico and put it in the game. It's the most authentic sky in any game, also the open world has multiple biomes which all have different weather conditions that occur dynamically. What other game does that since its existed in other games for soooo looooong😅

the_master

You need to go thru a random portal in a Mclaren at 250+mph to visit mars in 0.0015 sec where you race against 100 aliens that destroy skyscrapers to stop you from winning. Otherwise we can't call a racing game next gen, its just more of the same.
I like this idea. I. Wish they made it :D those would be great side missions

Pedro Motta

He's entitled to his opinion, even if it's wrong.

I think you'll find no other developer does the sky like Forza Horizon. They've literally taken huge amounts of 12k pictures of the sky around Mexico and put it in the game. It's the most authentic sky in any game, also the open world has multiple biomes which all have different weather conditions that occur dynamically. What other game does that since its existed in other games for soooo looooong😅
Red Dead Redemption 2?

Pedro Motta

Well I am of the opinion that RDR2 is still the greatest technical achievement in gaming so far, so I'm not going to disagree but it still doesn't take away the fact that Horizon 5 looks amazing, you must agree with that?
I do agree with that, never said anything otherwise. I love FH4 and I look forward to this one. But like I said before, opening a new thread to say this game has weather and lighting is a bit lame. But I guess I hate the game now.

Sooo like..Spy Hunter meets Godzilla? Yeah that'd be super next-gen by that point x3.

I do agree with that, never said anything otherwise. I love FH4 and I look forward to this one. But like I said before, opening a new thread to say this game has weather and lighting is a bit lame. But I guess I hate the game now.

At least it's not like the million SSD threads that kept popping up last year, and a lot more informative than most of those to boot.

Last edited:
You do realize there are threads with less exciting or less technologically interesting things than this? There are threads for random Twitter posts from someone with 21 followers. If you don't find the weather system interesting, why not show or provide a racing game with a better weather system, that implements anywhere close to this level of scale, quality, resolution, lighting, etc, as this game?

Take care fellow kids.
What's this console warrioriong non sense? I don't even know an Xbox, I own a PS5. Actually I've never owned an Xbox.

*boots up driveclub*
Aside from FH's technical superiority, the other thing FH has over DriveClub when it comes to weather and skies is authenticity, because having lived in both FH3 and FH4 settings, I cannot stress how accurately the FH dev technique translates into the game.

Neo_game

Does somebody in the know want to tell me what exactly is meant by next-gen graphics, because I’ll be fucked if I know?

Game is looking pretty amazing to me, so far!

Metro Exodus enhanced edition. CP2077 IMO was also not meant for last gen consoles. FS2020 also is coming to SS and SX only. I would say any demanding game or using rendering techniques that is going to struggle on last gen console. If devs compromise the gfx engine to make sure it runs on it. Then these games are obviously cross-gen games.

Tschumi

Aside from FH's technical superiority, the other thing FH has over DriveClub when it comes to weather and skies is authenticity, because having lived in both FH3 and FH4 settings, I cannot stress how accurately the FH dev technique translates into the game.
I should hope so :) with years, hindsight and better hardware to go for, it would suck if they didn't hear driveclub... Good for them.

.. but still, i had to pay lipservice to that piece of art

Fredrik

I tried to play it linear but didn't feel any tension or excitement since I could progress however badly I raced. It got to the point that I didn't care if I got overtaken or hit a corner because it literally makes no difference

Honestly asking, how do you reconcile that issue?
I understand your thinking but there are events you can fail miserably and events you can finish last and still unlock another event. You progress by doing events to unlock more events and to level up and unlock and finish showcase events and there is star cards and all kinds of X out of X lists to complete. It definitely matters how you play, even in the just-for-fun jumps, speed cam, sign smashing map activities. While I agree that the progression is diffuse it’s not like there is no progression. It’s just not Outrun-linear.

If you find all of it boring then, well, it’s just not your type of game. It happens. Don’t worry about it. 🤷‍♂️

The IP has been at the top of the racing genre for over two generations on metacritic, now that it’s on Steam it’s getting glowing reviews as well. There is no point to question if all the fans and game critics are unable to get what makes a game fun. It’s just not for you. Or maybe you’ve not played enough? or seen updates that has added completionist features?

I understand your thinking but there are events you can fail miserably and events you can finish last and still unlock another event. You progress by doing events to unlock more events and to level up and unlock and finish showcase events and there is star cards and all kinds of X out of X lists to complete. It definitely matters how you play, even in the just-for-fun jumps, speed cam, sign smashing map activities. While I agree that the progression is diffuse it’s not like there is no progression. It’s just not Outrun-linear.

If you find all of it boring then, well, it’s just not your type of game. It happens. Don’t worry about it. 🤷‍♂️

The IP has been at the top of the racing genre for over two generations on metacritic, now that it’s on Steam it’s getting glowing reviews as well. There is no point to question if all the fans and game critics are unable to get what makes a game fun. It’s just not for you. Or maybe you’ve not played enough? or seen updates that has added completionist features?
Thanks, you're actually making me want to give it another go with the correct expectations. Perhaps there is some sort of progression within that can hook me.

I don't have pc gamepass anymore though but maybe if/when I subscribe again I'll try FH4 one more time. Perhaps I'll give it a bash in VR now I have Vorpx. It'll probably be awful nightmare fuel using that though lol. (Side note, Death Stranding is fantastic in vorpx).

Fredrik

Thanks, you're actually making me want to give it another go with the correct expectations. Perhaps there is some sort of progression within that can hook me.

I don't have pc gamepass anymore though but maybe if/when I subscribe again I'll try FH4 one more time. Perhaps I'll give it a bash in VR now I have Vorpx. It'll probably be awful nightmare fuel using that though lol. (Side note, Death Stranding is fantastic in vorpx).
Wait what can you play FH4 in VR? 😲
I used to play FH3 a ton on PC since it was 30fps on console, and I had a triple screen setup. But FH4 has mostly been played on console. I need the check what’s possible on PC!

Last edited:

Outlier

I like my games to have some semblance of achievement and progression. And some tension. Forza has very little of those things.

I have no interest in fooling around in a sandbox.
100%

For me games that have no sense of direction will quickly turn me off.

FH4 is on sale on Steam and I thought about buying it, but I asked myself... "What if driving around is boring? What if the game LOOKS more exciting, than it actually is? OMG at that download size". Then I just decided not to add to the list of unfinished games, in my life.

I CAN get into playing a game like FM or GT, because the sense of progression comes from getting better at driving the cars, tracks, or both.

Wait what can you play FH4 in VR? 😲
I used to play FH3 a ton on PC since it was 30fps on console, and I had a triple screen setup. But FH4 has mostly been played on console. I need the check what’s possible on PC!
Well not really. Vorpx is a program that lets you play non vr games in 'vr' but you really need to have sensible expectations. It doesn't do motion controls for example, you'll still need your usual inputs. I'm new to it but I've found the 'immersive screen' mode for third person games works the best - it's like a huge 3d screen right on front of you so I'm playing Death Stranding with a 3d Sam and landscape etc rather than my laptop screen. It's awesome.

I've seen a video of someone using it with FH and it seems ok. The car is flat apparently but the view through the window is 3d. Overall vorpx can be fun if you like tinkering and seeing if you can get a VR type experience from normal games but results vary massively.
100%

For me games that have no sense of direction will quickly turn me off.

FH4 is on sale on Steam and I thought about buying it, but I asked myself... "What if driving around is boring? What if the game LOOKS more exciting, than it actually is? OMG at that download size". Then I just decided not to add to the list of unfinished games, in my life.

I CAN get into playing a game like FM or GT, because the sense of progression comes from getting better at driving the cars, tracks, or both.
Probably a sensible decision. I played it free on Gamepass PC and got less than 10 hours out of it.

I'm glad it's not just me that needs direction in a game to get hooked.

Top Bottom