• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5: Hot Wheels Expansion is out - MS, start a new IP!

Stuart360

Anyone know if the Hotwheels dlc is included in PC Gamepass?. I'm only asking because i'm playing the mian game and the Hotwheels thing is on my map, and when i go into the options, it doesnt show anywhere on the Hotwheels page to buy, almost like its already bought if you get what i mean.
I suppose i could just drive over there and try lol.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The entire point of Forza Horizon is being a husk to fill with DLC it’s full of toxic microtransactions, with shitty rewards for leveling up as a “wheel spin” gambling mechanic, with races that getting first place in is barely more rewarded than finishing in any place.

FH series is all about the dlc and mtx.
Adam Sandler GIF by IFC

Ah yes, the game that's SO chock full of microtransactions that i never noticed a single one during my 24 hours of having played the game.
If they're there, then god damn they must be useless

jaysius

Banned
Adam Sandler GIF by IFC

Ah yes, the game that's SO chock full of microtransactions that i never noticed a single one during my 24 hours of having played the game.
If they're there, then god damn they must be useless
Oh completely useless like buying an expensive OP car with real world money. Most of the menu’s screen space dedicated to selling you shit.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Also your post was the same idiotic shit.

Last edited:
Oh completely useless like buying an expensive OP car with real world money.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Also your post was the same idiotic shit.
Willing to bet that you haven't played the game for more than a couple of hours.

Lmao outside of the corny voice acting, my biggest complaint is that there is no sense of progression, they toss everything in your face immediately, you're making a mountain out of a molehill

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
In all seriousness, wheelspins, super wheelspins and rewards that have to manually "claimed" (after navigation a train wreck of a UI) is just terrible design, straight from some of the worst mobile games.

It hurts the experience. I swear to God that after logging in for the first time in months to play the DLC, most of my game session time was spend on claiming all that stuff.

jaysius

Banned
Willing to bet that you haven't played the game for more than a couple of hours.

Lmao outside of the corny voice acting, my biggest complaint is that there is no sense of progression, they toss everything in your face immediately, you're making a mountain out of a molehill
I’ve played it for 6 hours trying to like it, so you LOSE your shitty ”bet”, all the cars feel the same, the sense of speed is MEH. The driving isn’t good. Forza other series has a great sense of speed.

FH really sucks, I loved FH 1 I bought a Xbox One for FH2 and regretted most of it, at least that one had novelty, they change less in these than in a yearly COD.

OH right they changed that you don’t even have to WIN to clear an event, gotta love that innovation.

Its still better than most racing games, but Dirt 5‘s racing felt better in every regard, from track feel variation to difference in driving each car, to having real motivation to actually WIN.

Before some idiot gate keeps the games enjoyment to difficulty I play
Expert AI(it’s pretty predictable and cheap though) and turn off all the driving asists.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I’ve played it for 6 hours trying to like it, so you LOSE your shitty ”bet”, all the cars feel the same, the sense of speed is MEH. The driving isn’t good. Forza other series has a great sense of speed.

FH really sucks, I loved FH 1 I bought a Xbox One for FH2 and regretted most of it, at least that one had novelty, they change less in these than in a yearly COD.

OH right they changed that you don’t even have to WIN to clear an event, gotta love that innovation.

Its still better than most racing games, but Dirt 5‘s racing felt better in every regard, from track feel variation to difference in driving each car, to having real motivation to actually WIN.

Expert AI(it’s pretty predictable and cheap though) and turn off all the driving asists.
I like Dirt 5 but its pure acade driving. Maybe thats wht you like it becuase you prefer arcade racers?.
Plus you say you like Forza Motorsport but Horizon cars are just Motorsport cars, the same handling. Well it seems that way to me and i play both Horizon and Motorsport series.

Chukhopops

But you do now, you need to win races to get medals. And you get more medals for playing at higher difficulty. They actually fixed that from FH5 main game.

If you don’t like it that’s fine though.

Edit : After reading all your claims I think you’re full of shit.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Is the expansion a toggle in the menu or does it just exist in the world?

It looks fun, but also kind of gaudy hanging in the sky in the context of the rest of the world!

Fredrik

The entire point of Forza Horizon is being a husk to fill with DLC it’s full of toxic microtransactions, with shitty rewards for leveling up as a “wheel spin” gambling mechanic, with races that getting first place in is barely more rewarded than finishing in any place.

FH 1 was amazing,had a completely different feel, and a real sense of progression, cars all felt different to drive, they dropped all that in 2 onwards.

Actually, you can’t progress here without finishing first, that’s how you unlock more events. Plus, you need a certain amount of stars from other events,
But I find it odd to even talk about this. What’s the fun in finishing at the 12th place? You obviously replay an event until you finish 1st.

bender

What time is it?
Is the expansion a toggle in the menu or does it just exist in the world?

It looks fun, but also kind of gaudy hanging in the sky in the context of the rest of the world!

There is a location marked on your map that when you drive to and activate warps you to the DLC.

Banned
The entire point of Forza Horizon is being a husk to fill with DLC it’s full of toxic microtransactions

god forbid that they sell new cars after launch! which is the only thing you can buy btw... literally the only MTX available are additional cars
they bring in new free cars each and every season as well. so if the 300 something cars included and the dozens of free after launch additions aren't enough for you you can also buy some additional ones, which btw. the devs need to pay licensing for and have to model + record sound + add physics that corresponds with how the car handles IRL

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned

FH 1 was amazing,had a completely different feel, and a real sense of progression, cars all felt different to drive, they dropped all that in 2 onwards.

What Microtransactions... Unless they are insanely well hidden & I've some how completely missed them?

Unless we are counting the expansion pass as MTX now? £32 (if your a game pass member and you get all expansions/car packs)

Last edited:

Banned
What Microtransactions... Unless they are insanely well hidden & I've some how completely missed them?

Unless we are counting the expansion pass as MTX now? £32 (if your a game pass member and you get all expansions/car packs)

yeah car packs, the most heinous of MTX! manipulative to the core! I SAY WE GO TO THEIR OFFICES AND SHIT ON THEIR DOORSTEP!

Animated GIF

Last edited:

Banned
No, it's not. Series developed a lot of problems with each new entry but DLC or MTX are not one of them.

Stagnation (it's the same game since FH2), lack of true campaign and player progression, cringe characters and dialogue. These are the main issues with the game.

agreed.
they really have to revamp the formula for the eventual FH6, no more races that just change to suit your car choices (oh you wanna play this off-road race with a super low to the ground hyper car? GREAT now all of the AIs also use hypercars off-road...), no more weirdly splintered events that clutter the map...

we are at a point where their DLCs are better games than the main game. the DLCs often have better campaigns and a better structure... not perfect but better.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I play with no subtitles, no speech. I have no idea what's the deal is with this new "story" for Hot Wheels and I don't care. I just want to race.
The hot wheels story itself is kind of interesting, they go through how they wanted to make faster toy cars and the process they came up with to do it.

As well as how they got the paint to match and other interesting stuff.

Kagey K

Banned

You sure you are playing the same game as the rest of us?

Something sounds off.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
agreed.
they really have to revamp the formula for the eventual FH6, no more races that just change to suit your car choices (oh you wanna play this off-road race with a super low to the ground hyper car? GREAT now all of the AIs also use hypercars off-road...), no more weirdly splintered events that clutter the map...

we are at a point where their DLCs are better games than the main game. the DLCs often have better campaigns and a better structure... not perfect but better.

Horizon should be about 3 things. Celebration of car culture, the pleasure of driving and player expression. There's so much more to cars than just racing. They want to be "inclusive" and invite as many people as possible but at the same time they put all their focus on racing, racing, racing.

Driving itself should be the focus. Horizon should be an ultimate driving sandbox. Playground should learn from this gem developed by 1 (!) person. In Motor Town you can do whatever you like. You can pick up hitchhikers, drive taxis, deliver cargo using small pickup trucks or big ass trucks with trailers. You can be a bus driver. You can get in trouble with police. There's a working traffic rule system with fines. You can be a police man and chase criminals. You can also race or do drift challenges. It's a really chill game with amazing driving physics, highly recommend.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The hot wheels story itself is kind of interesting, they go through how they wanted to make faster toy cars and the process they came up with to do it.

As well as how they got the paint to match and other interesting stuff.

If I want to learn Hot Wheels history, I will read a Wikipedia entry or watch a YouTube video.

How is this information delivered in the game?

Kagey K

Banned
If I want to learn Hot Wheels history, I will read a Wikipedia entry or watch a YouTube video.

There are some story races and she tells it to you in ear as you are doing the events.

I think the events are even called the hot wheels story

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
There are some story races and she tells it to you in ear as you are doing the events.

I think the events are even called the hot wheels story

Yeah, no thanks. That's like the lamest way of delivering story bits. I can also imagine how cringe it sounds when they talk.

Fredrik

Yeah, no thanks. That's like the lamest way of delivering story bits. I can also imagine how cringe it sounds when they talk.
It’s an expansion based on toys, it’s not more cringe than what you can expect, they talk about how Hot Wheels became popular and the thoughts on the specific designs and track types and launchers etc. Nobody is going to go to Wikipedia and read about that and if there was a wall of text everybody would skip it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It’s an expansion based on toys, it’s not more cringe than what you can expect, they talk about how Hot Wheels became popular and the thoughts on the specific designs and track types and launchers etc. Nobody is going to go to Wikipedia and read about that and if there was a wall of text everybody would skip it.

I watched the first story race on YouTube with speech on. It's as bad as I imagined. To anyone who's interested in Hot Wheels history, I would recommend this video from Little Car (awesome channel as well):

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

There’s nearly no microtransactions in Forza Horizon, only like paying for the treasure map and can’t even buy credits if you wanted to. They haven’t even done monthly paid car packs like Forza used to do, choosing to instead release new cars weekly for free.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I watched the first story race on YouTube with speech on. It's as bad as I imagined. To anyone who's interested in Hot Wheels history, I would recommend this video from Little Car (awesome channel as well):

I’m not interested enough that I would watch a video or read a text, that’s why I don’t mind if someone tells me something while I’m racing.
It’s like the barn finds, I’m not going to google the cars to find out more about them but if they tell me something while I watch a cutscene that show my exploration reward then I don’t mind it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I’m not interested enough that I would watch a video or read a text, that’s why I don’t mind if someone tells me something while I’m racing.
It’s like the barn finds, I’m not going to google the cars to find out more about them but if they tell me something while I watch a cutscene that show my exploration reward then I don’t mind it.

Barn finds are infinitely better way to tell a story than someone bumbling into your ear as you're trying to focus on a race and there are engine noises coming from all over the place.

Producing high quality in game cutscenes is time consuming and expensive. Recording few lazy lines with questionable delivery? Not so much.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I think you are in the wrong thread as Forza is not full of MTX, nice try though

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

No, it's not. Series developed a lot of problems with each new entry but DLC or MTX are not one of them.

Stagnation (it's the same game since FH2), lack of true campaign and player progression, cringe characters and dialogue. These are the main issues with the game.
If you said its the same game since FH3 I'd kind of agree but FH2? I don't think so.

Nydius

Most of the menu’s screen space dedicated to selling you shit.
I have the standard version and have only bought the Hot Wheels DLC as a standalone.

Let me look at the menu for all of this supposed screen space dedicated to selling shit...

Hmm, I see one square advertising the car pass and one other square promoting the premium deluxe upgrade pack. Two total squares across the whole of the menu. And neither one of those are "microtransactions", they are standard DLC packs. Microtransactions would be selling individual cars a la carte or selling credits for people to buy cars on the in-game auction house. Those don't exist at all.

So no, Forza Horizon is not
a husk to fill with DLC it’s full of toxic microtransactions.

You're just out here making shit up and acting like a twat when called out for it.

Certinty

Honestly, I think Horizon 4 and 5 suffered by being on Game Pass.

1-3 had their moments of being cringe with the dialogue but 4 and especially 5 upped it to a whole new level which I feel is aimed at a very casual crowd. Coincidence that the latter two were day 1 Game Pass games?

Don’t get me started on the progression systems in the last two games too, more aimed at casuals having fun and doing what they want rather than the actual racing.

Fox Mulder

Played a lil bit. Same old shit. This makes you guys go wow? You barely have to turn or steer. Track design is horrible.

It’s what hot wheels is. A big plastic track you throw cars down and the fastest wins. You win with maintaining top speed and not bouncing off the walls. It’s not meant to be the Nurburgring.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Honestly, I think Horizon 4 and 5 suffered by being on Game Pass.

1-3 had their moments of being cringe with the dialogue but 4 and especially 5 upped it to a whole new level which I feel is aimed at a very casual crowd. Coincidence that the latter two were day 1 Game Pass games?

Don’t get me started on the progression systems in the last two games too, more aimed at casuals having fun and doing what they want rather than the actual racing.

Speaking of cringe.. Those awful casuals huh.

hlm666

Horizon should be about 3 things. Celebration of car culture, the pleasure of driving and player expression. There's so much more to cars than just racing. They want to be "inclusive" and invite as many people as possible but at the same time they put all their focus on racing, racing, racing.

Hmmmmmmmmm, you guys can fight it then let us know who is right.

Driving itself should be the focus. Horizon should be an ultimate driving sandbox. Playground should learn from this gem developed by 1 (!) person. In Motor Town you can do whatever you like. You can pick up hitchhikers, drive taxis, deliver cargo using small pickup trucks or big ass trucks with trailers. You can be a bus driver. You can get in trouble with police. There's a working traffic rule system with fines. You can be a police man and chase criminals. You can also race or do drift challenges. It's a really chill game with amazing driving physics, highly recommend.

Thanks , i tried the demo , i like to find little gems like this , if you have more suggestions please feel free to share !

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Hmmmmmmmmm, you guys can fight it then let us know who is right.

Horizon's current focus is on racing and going fast and because that's the only thing that the game has to offer and must appeal to casuals the racing part of the game suffers.

My proposal would fix it because you would have a lot of activities that just focus on driving so casuals can enjoy it and then you could have hardcore racing.

I know it's not going to happen but one can dream.

If you said its the same game since FH3 I'd kind of agree but FH2? I don't think so.

What makes FH2 so different? Even UI is exactly the same as FH3, 4 and 5. You have boards to smash, speed cameras to beat, roads to discover and barns to find. It's the same game.

Top Bottom