• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 Hot Wheels - DF Tech Review - Another Brilliant DLC? - All Systems Tested Digital Foundry

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

*Same rendering tech present in FH5 is back in full force.

*Minimun pop in
*No snow deformation that was found in FH4
*The new hot wheel tracks give its Gi system a workout.
*Much improvement environmental geometry and better materials compared to FH3 hot wheels
*The cars seem to have the same geometry as FH3 hot wheels, however lighting is better in FH5
*Same rock solid 30+60fps on the series consoles in the two modes.
*TAA on PC but still 4x MSAA on consoles.
*Rt reflections on the forza car viewer not in gameplay, can hack it in gameplay on PC.
*Overall still visually very impressive

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
It looks really good and runs very smooth but i hoped they would enable RT in game like they showed in the trailers (atleast on pc).
Forza-Horizon-5-24-07-2022-2-30-43.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-24-07-2022-2-32-11.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-24-07-2022-2-33-41.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-24-07-2022-3-21-08.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-24-07-2022-3-10-27.jpg

Stuart360

I wonder why no TAA on console, it looks way better than even 8xmsaa on PC ,and obviously way less demanding.

Last edited:

fatmarco

It is sad that even the DLC these guys create have better art, technical qualities and production than basically every other other Microsoft studio game.

They could fart out work in a few months that would destroy Halo Infinite's "over 5 years in development" assets. It's almost a generational difference between what Playground does to what 343 is doing.

I do think that speaks to their business historically being run incredibly smoothly more than anything, although I guess Fable will test that production pipeline heavily.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's almost a generational difference between what Playground does to what 343 is doing.
This is less a testament to how absolutely phenomenal of a studio playground is and moreso a testament to just how absolutely incompetent 343 is. At this point there's really no reason to keep them around if they're gonna keep dragging halo through the mud. Besides, ninja theory, the coalition, double fine, ID software, and obsidian have all proven their worth in one way or another. I honestly think it's just 343 holding them down. Id should take control and rid MS of that disaster studio

Zathalus

TAA on my PC looks way better and has less impact on FPS as well. Not sure why my Xbox doesn't have the toggle.

Stuart360

This is less a testament to how absolutely phenomenal of a studio playground is and moreso a testament to just how absolutely incompetent 343 is. At this point there's really no reason to keep them around if they're gonna keep dragging halo through the mud. Besides, ninja theory, the coalition, double fine, ID software, and obsidian have all proven their worth in one way or another. I honestly think it's just 343 holding them down. Id should take control and rid MS of that disaster studio
To be fair, Halo Infinite on PC at amx settings is a very impressive looking open world imo. I get the point about Playground, and i get the point about the incompetence of 343, but IMO Infinite on PC is a good looking open world game.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
To be fair, Halo Infinite on PC at amx settings is a very impressive looking open world imo. I get the point about Playground, and i get the point about the incompetence of 343, but IMO Infinite on PC is a good looking open world game.
i think halo infinite looks fine but it definitely looks like a 2015 game visually, and with a game that's had the development time and budget that it has as well as the years of experience from the studio, there's no good reason it should come out looking like that. besides, infinite has FAR more issues than just looking mid

fatmarco

i think halo infinite looks fine but it definitely looks like a 2015 game visually, and with a game that's had the development time and budget that it has as well as the years of experience from the studio, there's no good reason it should come out looking like that. besides, infinite has FAR more issues than just looking mid
I think its also the fact that it's also only got one biome. With such an unambitious target and so few assets to create and manage, it is really strange how amateur it still was.

And I mean we aren't even talking alien flora, it's all pine trees and generic grass and bushes, rocks etc. for which there's plenty of pre built tech, assets etc. to work from, even within Microsofts own studios.

With all that said, I still liked Infinite, thought it looked aesthetically pleasing at points, but it was just so technically archaic and overall incompetent for the time and money that had been spent.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Downloaded this last night after watching the DF vid and Wow, I forgot how good horizon 5 looked.

This is my first hot wheels expansion even though I played all the horizon games to death. This almost feels like a wipeout or fzero in many respects. Why was I never told this before? lol

Fredrik

It is sad that even the DLC these guys create have better art, technical qualities and production than basically every other other Microsoft studio game.

They could fart out work in a few months that would destroy Halo Infinite's "over 5 years in development" assets. It's almost a generational difference between what Playground does to what 343 is doing.

I do think that speaks to their business historically being run incredibly smoothly more than anything, although I guess Fable will test that production pipeline heavily.
Yeah for me Playground Games is by far Microsoft’s best studio, they’re just pumping out quality stuff, reminds me of Insomniac for Playstation.

Can’t wait to see what they can do with Fable. I think the critical point there is the animations. We know they master world building and can create some seriously impressive vistas. But animating humans? The only Microsoft studio that does this really well is Ninja Theory. Hopefully Playground ask them for help. The Sony 1st party studios are sharing lots of tech and knowledge with each other in this area, that’s why all their third person games are so well-animated.

Fredrik

Downloaded this last night after watching the DF vid and Wow, I forgot how good horizon 5 looked.

This is my first hot wheels expansion even though I played all the horizon games to death. This almost feels like a wipeout or fzero in many respects. Why was I never told this before? lol
Yeah it’s awesome, on my top 5 for the year. Should’ve been a standalone release.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Good video from DF. I’m glad they did comparisons to FH3. When you stop and look it sure can look dated but when you’re in a race FH3 still impresses me to this day.

ZywyPL

Banned
It looks really good and runs very smooth but i hoped they would enable RT in game like they showed in the trailers (atleast on pc).

For real, while date-and-day PC releases are great, they're more or less just straight console ports, while PC stuff like DLSS, FSR, RT etc. is absent, even months/years after launch.

I'm really starting to like Sony's approach more, where sure, you have to wait a year or two for the game but all the PC tech you would expect is there, they even patched in FSR 2.0 into GoW later on when the tech launched, that's the kind of approach I advocate for.

Fredrik

I'm really starting to like Sony's approach more, where sure, you have to wait a year or two for the game but all the PC tech you would expect is there, they even patched in FSR 2.0 into GoW later on when the tech launched, that's the kind of approach I advocate for.
I’m really starting to hate Sony’s approach, I’ve already played their games when they come to PC and I really don’t like double dipping, especially not at full price. I bought HZD and while it was great to play at 100fps when it was 30fps on PS4 I still only played for … checking Steam … 16 hours, before I was bored and stopped. Waste of money. Never bought God of War because of that experience. It’s an old game, I already know all that is happening, I want the sequel now.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Couldn't find a single dropped frame on any console, got to be one of the best developers in the world. This on One X is probably the best looking last gen game ever made, just wish they could manage a 60fps like the next gen consoles.

Certinty

Not exactly surprising.

I mean, just look at their first game, Forza Horizon which released on the Xbox 360, that game had no right to look and perform the way it did.

ZywyPL

Banned
That would not work unless Steam gets rid of their 30% cut.

Yeah, why would MS give that 30% cut to Valve instead of taking it themselves. It is what it is, if have to choose between barebones Steam version vs PC+XB+cross-saves/progression, the choice is really simple for me. Granted, very often the Steam version is better, if not flawless at launch compared to the MS store one, but the benefits are worth the wait IMHO.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
For real, while date-and-day PC releases are great, they're more or less just straight console ports, while PC stuff like DLSS, FSR, RT etc. is absent, even months/years after launch.
best solution to this would be to just straight up develop the game around PC and then port down to console like most manufacturers used to back in the 2000s. That way PC gets all the features and the absolute best experience while console players get their version fully intact as well.

Top Bottom