• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 Gives You the Ability to Be a Non-Binary Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I just spent an hour and a half beating the speed trap at the start. It's a good place to learn controls and speed management if, like me, you play with your finger full on the gas in every race.

But it is pandering.

I remember there was a time when including non-white options in a character creator was "pandering."

. . . and honestly, who cares? As far as I can see this has zero impact on another players experience. So what if MS did the absolute bare minimum to give non-binary players a sense of inclusion? The game is still the same.

elliot5

I just spent an hour and a half beating the speed trap at the start. It's a good place to learn controls and speed management if, like me, you play with your finger full on the gas in every race.

I remember there was a time when including non-white options in a character creator was "pandering."

. . . and honestly, who cares? As far as I can see this has zero impact on another players experience. So what if MS did the absolute bare minimum to give non-binary players a sense of inclusion? The game is still the same.
The time is the present to a lot of people, sadly. You make the default character type a woman and its "pandering", too. It's annoying.

Exoil

Do it right, Microsoft

KInK446.jpeg
Where's my attack heli you bigot?

Saber

Gold Member
I fucking LOVE how these kind of threads trigger people. :ROFLMAO: I hope one day a AAA game has a character create mode that has different gayness levels based on various traits:

Dan Levy, Adam Lambert <----------------> Ricky Martin, Ian McKellan

Ellen DeGeneres, Megan Rapino <----------------> Cara Delevigne, Jameela Jamil

I'd buy it just to spite the haters. Shit I've never owned an Xbox and I'd buy Forza 5 just because.

Wow, so brave.

MacReady13

People upset ITT over stuff that doesn't affect them is sooooooooo weird.
Weird in what way exactly? Affecting the way we are expected to refer to males and females as they/them? Fuck is that shit? Just because you have issues and want people to refer to you as some bullshit doesn't mean we have to accept it in real life. Funny how when a game shows boobs certain sections of the fandom get upset with glorifying women yet this made up bullshit is acceptable because a very tiny % want to be known by something other than male/female? Fuck off with this shit. You wanna use pronouns, go ahead. Just don't expect me to fucking conform. And I don't want it forced upon me in video games. Some don't want boobs and asses. I don't want this fucking SJW/woke bullshit.

Swift_Star

Banned
Weird in what way exactly? Affecting the way we are expected to refer to males and females as they/them? Fuck is that shit? Just because you have issues and want people to refer to you as some bullshit doesn't mean we have to accept it in real life. Funny how when a game shows boobs certain sections of the fandom get upset with glorifying women yet this made up bullshit is acceptable because a very tiny % want to be known by something other than male/female? Fuck off with this shit. You wanna use pronouns, go ahead. Just don't expect me to fucking conform. And I don't want it forced upon me in video games. Some don't want boobs and asses. I don't want this fucking SJW/woke bullshit.
Because I don't care how people want to be called or regonized as 😂 it's petty and childish to get triggered about this. It's not my life and not my problem. If a person wants to be called they, it, he or she is not my problem at all. Sorry, I'm not a kid who worry about petty stuff.

Last edited:

JayK47

Rather than pay for price for this, I may simply play it during the $1 one month Game Pass promotion. I really do not see what this adds to a racing game. I do not want to waste any time on my stupid driver. I just want to race. It is all about exploring the world and the cars, not the driver.

MacReady13

Because I don't care how people want to be called or regonized as 😂 it's petty and childish to get triggered about this. It's not my life and not my problem. If a person wants to be called they, it, he or she is not my problem at all. Sorry, I'm not a kid who worry about petty stuff.
I'm happy for anyone to be called what they want- just not by me. Unfortunately putting it in a Forza game now normalizes it and it's there to cater for people who really don't play games! This is to appease those retards over at Resetera who would be so excited over this i'm sure they ALL went out to buy a copy of this game in support...
This is just a try hard move by microsoft to appease to the lowest form of scum. I don't want my kids to be referring to people with 10's of 100's of different pronouns, just because they "feel" like being something different today. Get the fuck outta here with that deranged bullshit.

Boss Mog

I can't believe we're at the point where we have to pick pronouns when creating a character, it seems like parody but it's real. There should be an "opt out of all woke bullshit" option in console system settings, that way the majority of people don't have to deal with this kind of nonsense in their games.

rolandss

Who cares
I mean options are cool but will it not just be a never ending slippery slope with requests for every gender possible?
who really cares as long as you have the option to make your character whatever you want it to be? This stuff is all such a non issue.

These issues affect all of us because they shape the society that we live in. There is also tremendous harm being done to young people by this gender bullshit; a decent member of society has a responsibility to care about things that harm others, particularly the young or vulnerable. 'Blah blah doesn't affect me' is a shitty attitude.

Nothing good will come from normalizing and promoting this bullshit.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I'm happy for anyone to be called what they want- just not by me. Unfortunately putting it in a Forza game now normalizes it and it's there to cater for people who really don't play games! This is to appease those retards over at Resetera who would be so excited over this i'm sure they ALL went out to buy a copy of this game in support...
This is just a try hard move by microsoft to appease to the lowest form of scum. I don't want my kids to be referring to people with 10's of 100's of different pronouns, just because they "feel" like being something different today. Get the fuck outta here with that deranged bullshit.
Yep, i mean people can identify as a gay Klingon jedi from the planet Vulcan for me, but dont then expect me, and society as a whole, to just accept that, and then 'cancel' anyone who doesnt, or make it a hate crime (which is already happening with some of this stuff in the UK).
Plus its all pandering for brownie points with the Twitter loons, and Ree, etc. Does anyone really think all these devs, and these mega corporations suddenly 'woke up' 5 years ago and are all amazing human beings now that love this shit?.
Dont be nieve people.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm not familiar with this game. When you create a character, is the pronoun thing optional, or are you forced to pick one of the 3 options listed in the screenshot?

Exoil

Imagine you have a person that wants to be called it or they. Now imagine you call them he or she. Do you see how it becomes your problem?

Pull n Pray

Banned
Nothing good will come from normalizing and promoting this bullshit.
I agree to an extent, but you also need to choose your battles. Public school indoctrinating our children into this nonsense ideology? That's when you fight back. But the nonbinary stuff in FH5 causes relatively little harm. Mock it and move along. And don't let it keep you from enjoying what is a really fantastic game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

What? No there wasn't because there are whole continents worth of people with dark skin since the beginning of time!

Please. Do not conflate immutable characteristics with ideological constructs.

Seriously you'd have to be living under a rock for the last few years to fail to recognize the political dimension! However unwittingly one is to get into their usage, its undeniable that any game offering 3 pronouns is planting a flag firmly on a side in terms of the ongoing cultural debate over gender identification and compelled speech.

By taking a side, its pandering to (perceived) supporters of that cause.

To pander simply means to gratify or indulge. How is that inaccurate?

As to the sincerity of that, let me relate a little anecdote about Playground Games CEO Gavin Raeburn. This guy's had a great career and worked his way up from doing tossed off £1.99 quicky titles on the C64 in the mid/late 80's. He ended up at Codies and worked his way up the ranks to producer, along the way he acquired the sobriquet "the burner". Partly because allegedly he could be somewhat of a hard-ass, but mainly because his name infamously is an anagram of "Vagina Burner". A nick-name I'm sure he acquired by being super-progressive back in the day! Honest Guv.

tommib

Yep, i mean people can identify as a gay Klingon jedi from the planet Vulcan for me, but dont then expect me, and society as a whole, to just accept that, and then 'cancel' anyone who doesnt, or make it a hate crime (which is already happening with some of this stuff in the UK).
Plus its all pandering for brownie points with the Twitter loons, and Ree, etc. Does anyone really think all these devs, and these mega corporations suddenly 'woke up' 5 years ago and are all amazing human beings now that love this shit?.
Dont be nieve people.
Corporate activism is the worst and it’s all damage control so that they’re not cancelled on Twitter by whatever mob. It’s normal that there’s pushback because it’s ending up with people announcing their pronouns at the start of meetings as we can see from the Microsoft conference.

I work for a megacorp and they’re slowly recommending signature pronouns after all the hours of diversity training. It’s all BS because they know that a corporation can easily fall due to some nonsense scandal on Twitter. If they do, they can always defend themselves saying that they gave training and recommended pronouns. It’s an ultra-defensive HR/legal move.

SZips

Some of you all get upset over the dumbest shit. This has next to no impact on your personal lives what someone else chooses to identity as in a game or real life. If it makes a person happier to identify one way or another, let them. Don't be gatekeepers on someone else's happiness or identity.

mckmas8808

Banned
Did you guys see the Ignite conference? Microsoft is going easy on us with Forza Horizon 5.

This CAN'T BE REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why oh god why?!?! And I'm what most of you would consider "woke" and this is the 2nd worse thing I've ever heard all year. Makes me want to throw up.

Ivory Blood

If I had to guess it's because these users love gaming and they are afraid wokeness/PC culture will ruin gaming like it did the comic book industry and like it's currently doing to other forms of entertainment. Sure this is just a harmless option but you're naive if you think it just stops here. You give these people an inch and they will take a mile, we all know this.
This. It'll never stop until everyone is a grey blob with a 'xe/xir pronouns'.

tommib

This CAN'T BE REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why oh god why?!?! And I'm what most of you would consider "woke" and this is the 2nd worse thing I've ever heard all year. Makes me want to throw up.
Hang in there. I’m gay and considered Woke on GAF and this shit makes me want to quit my job and live in the woods eating berries until I starve to death.

In what way do we ONLY need to feel about this, though? ;d

This whole notion how people should "only" feel is stupid af. Let people feel how they want about certain things lmao. The fuck is this.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What? No there wasn't because there are whole continents worth of people with dark skin since the beginning of time!

Are you legitimately arguing that games have always represented the diversity of their playerbase when allowing avatar customization? Really. Really?
Please. Do not conflate immutable characteristics with ideological constructs.

Literally what gender is. And no, I have no interest in arguing this point further.

Seriously you'd have to be living under a rock for the last few years to fail to recognize the political dimension! However unwittingly one is to get into their usage, its undeniable that any game offering 3 pronouns is planting a flag firmly on a side in terms of the ongoing cultural debate over gender identification and compelled speech.

How is PG/MS compelling your speech in FH5? By forcing you to choose a representation. . .that aligns with your own perspective as close as possible? The tyranny of it all!

Lokaum D+

Well, when they don't put a gender option in the game some people are affected by and go cry on internet, why wouldn't the opposite affect ppl too?

PS: my pronous are that thing/ chair

Last edited:
Looks beautiful! but really off topic.

I wonder how my 3080 will hold up.

It's funny to have gender associated to a game that has basically no story and your character is a generic soulless creature - They/Them should be the only option for Forza since you're basically a robot.
That 3080 is going to fly, I got a 2080 Super in my other PC here and its hooked up to a monitor with 144hz refresh rate. With all settings maxed I was hitting like 80-90 frames per second in 1440P, and going above 100 with the MSAA turned down to 2x with all settings on ultra. CPU in that one is a 5600x

As far as the gender thing...I actually agree with you, I hate the whole "Make a character" thing in Forza horizon and I've always felt it was pointless(The music too since I put my own music on my phone and my earbud)..but more customization options and more choices should always be welcome. They want everyone to spend their money on the game so they should try to have representation that mirrors that goal as much as possible. I've now logged about 15 hours game time in Forza horizon and a screen about pronouns I was on for all of 5 seconds really has no bearing on my experience.
I'm black, and if I really had to complain about how anything looks or is represented in games it'd be the overwhelming majority of games released throughout gaming history thats consistently gotten our hair wrong for the most part(Some do a good job, most dont lol)....but even then I really don't care, I just play the games

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Are you legitimately arguing that games have always represented the diversity of their playerbase when allowing avatar customization? Really. Really?

Literally what gender is. And no, I have no interest in arguing this point further.

How is PG/MS compelling your speech in FH5? By forcing you to choose a representation. . .that aligns with your own perspective as close as possible? The tyranny of it all!

There is a difference between natural diversity and pandering to the mentally ill. Male/Female customization with the option of pronoun usage for transgender individuals? That is natural diversity and a welcome inclusion. Pushing for “non-binary” nonsense? That is pandering to mentally ill individuals who need to feel “special” and “unique”. The millennial effect.

PG/MS is enforcing the normalization of these mentally ill folks by pushing “nonbinary” options. Full stop. And let’s be real here, the only reason driver customization in a game like this exists is to push for MTX options for gullible dipshits. It’s a racing game, FFS. The only thing that matters is the cars, not the person inside of it that you literally never fucking see during a race.

GHG

Gold Member
0ff57ef8ed3b19631ab542582e775be2.gif

I actually shudder a little when i think what the world could be like in 20 or 30 years.

1514597154612.jpg

We are long overdue some hard times. Anyone who thinks covid is bad and struggled to cope hasn't seen shit yet. When climate change takes hold it will weed out the very people who are screaming the loudest at the moment to try and stop it. Glorious irony.

Last edited:

Stuart360

1514597154612.jpg

We are long overdue some hard times. Anyone who thinks covid is bad and struggled to cope hasn't seen shit yet. When climate change takes hold it will weed out the very people who are screaming the loudest at the moment to try and stop it. Glorious irony.
I was actually going to say earlier that the world needs somehting like an asteroid strike, not extinction level, but something that is going to wake the world up from this lunacy and to what is important, not this nonsense.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Imagine you have a person that wants to be called it or they. Now imagine you call them he or she. Do you see how it becomes your problem?
Only if that person corrects me and I keep using the wrong pronoun. Now why would I do this? Most people (irl, forget era) will not come for you if you misgender them because they know you're not obligated to know what they want to be called. But of they tell you and you insisting on the contrary, it's on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom