• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 Gives You the Ability to Be a Non-Binary Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honest question: Why don't they give us some non-human characters too? Like a grey alien or a dog.

I want to play as this dog. 👇

IC2oc2y.gif

DqHSMcx.gif
this so hard...

Barakov

Gold Member

Forza Horizon 5 Gives You the Ability to Be a Non-Binary Driver​

Forza Horizon 5 Gives You the Ability to Be a Non-Binary Driver.

The character creator allows you to use neutral pronouns as well as give your driver prosthetic limbs.

Forza Horizon 5 is out today on Xbox One, Xbox One S, and PC, and it's the first game in the series to feature gender-neutral pronouns.

Forza Horizon 5 is released today, following a day of positive press for the new racing game earlier this week. The latest game in the series has received such good reviews from critics that it is currently the highest-rated game of 2021 on various websites. This year's Game of the Year could be a racing game.

The causes for Forza 5's positive reception go beyond the game's primary features. There's a degree of detail in there that hasn't been seen previously in the series, as well as a level of inclusion that most people wouldn't expect from a racing game. Forza 5 is the first game in the series to allow neutral pronouns as an option, as shown in the screenshot below.

The character creation screen is the first thing players see after being introduced to the game, and it allows them to personalize a variety of aspects of their driver. Their hair, skin, and the tone of their driver's voice, but also how they will be addressed in-game. You can use he/him, she/her, or they/them.

Playground Games' use of neutral pronouns isn't the only way Playground Games has made Forza 5 the most inclusive game in the series through character creation. You can even provide your driver with artificial arms and legs. Creating a character in your own image is important for many players, especially if they intend to play the game frequently. The more components that are included in the development process that allows users to accurately replicate themselves in-game, the better.

Source: toisthe

01010111 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01100001 01100010 01101111 01110101 01110100 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100010 01101100 01101001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01100100 01110010 01101001 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01100001 01110011 00100000 01110111 01100101 01101100 01101100 00111111

Don't like it but in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. Thankfully it doesn't impact my enjoyment of what really matters about FH5 : The racing and exploring the open world.

Bragr

Banned
It reminds me this old nerd joke :

"There's TEN sort of people on earth :
1- People that understand binary
2- The others."

Ps : I don't care myself and if that make some people happy good for them.
The "happy argument" doesn't hold water though, I agree that I don't see too much issue with this particular case, and I'm fine with it generally, but the problem in how we define people is a lot bigger than this.

If someone decided that they don't want to be called by male or female, can they also decide they don't want to be called other things? why is it only sexes that we can choose to define based on happiness?

Considering the number of people on this planet and all the different opinions we have, should we really change our terms because some groups want to? what if I came up with a reason why I don't want to be called male, female, trans, non-binary or anything like that, should I expect people to conform to my feelings?

Should we accept that a small minority of people demand that we change scientific definitions because it "makes them happy"? some people don't feel they fit into the roles defined for them, but these roles are not defined by feelings and ideology, but by biology. Isn't the problem here that a small minority can't accept being called male or female, and it's really them that should change, not us.

This is not a big deal in this case. The Forza devs can do what they want, but the discussion around genders are braindead as hell, and mostly because people get attacked as anti-trans if they try to discuss it, so the discussions that need to happen aren't happening, and people are just adding options for non-binary without really thinking it through or knowing why they do it.

For example, if some people find "boys" or "girls" to be offensive because it assumes roles, and games started to refuse to use words like boys or girls, would you accept that? the reason why I say that, is because I just watched the new Survivor, and the host stopped using "guys" because it assumed roles.

DeaDPo0L84

This forum is starting to piss me off with all the “anti-woke” comments all the time.

It’s GREAT that Forza 5 is giving people the CHOICE.

If this doesn’t apply to you, then move on. Seriously…

Stressed Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation
The thing is it's NOT a choice, it's forced upon the player to choose. I can't stand this pronoun nonsense but I'd still be playing this very moment if I could simply not select pronouns, instead it forces me to, therefore I refunded.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Wonder if the wheelspins will give extra pronouns. Rewards were shitty AF in FH4 already with all that stuff for your avatar.

Cars/Money/XP. Simple.

thegame983

A week from now microsoft will be able to brag how 100% of their playerbase availed of the ability to choose their own pronouns.

ethomaz

Banned
Oh no, a word now has more than one meaning! Whatever will you do? It's a good thing that's NEVER happened before with the English language.

Seriously, if you want to be a fucking intolerant asshole, at least have the decency to own up to it, and stop hiding behind this 'they changed the meaning of the word' bullshit.

By the way, I work with someone who identifies as non-binary. THEY're extremely pleasant to be around, and have a really positive attitude. Unlike a lot of the shit heads posting in this thread.
But your coworker is a single person or a group? You started with someone that means one but ends with a group 🤔

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The thing is it's NOT a choice, it's forced upon the player to choose. I can't stand this pronoun nonsense but I'd still be playing this very moment if I could simply not select pronouns, instead it forces me to, therefore I refunded.
ROFL

Last edited:

tmlDan

Me on my 3090, all settings maxed in 2K with it locked to 72fps. Might hook my 4K monitor up today(Its downstairs and im lazy lol)

Looks beautiful! but really off topic.

I wonder how my 3080 will hold up.

It's funny to have gender associated to a game that has basically no story and your character is a generic soulless creature - They/Them should be the only option for Forza since you're basically a robot.

GymWolf

so has anyone tried this in non english versions yet? because this stuff doesn't work in most languages, so all I can think off is they might completely try to stop referring to you in any way but with your selected name/nickname
Yeah can someone post the italian selection screen please?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Serious question sorry if this derails, I'm curious as I've never referred to a single being as "they/them". Sure I've come out with "they" as it can be singular but "them" is used when referring to more than one being, If i said "them over there" it would infer there is more than one person? How can one person be a "them" i don't get it, maybe im just too old these days.
It's called not being insane.

Soodanim

Gold Member
If they wanted to spend more money on recording more voice lines, that's their lookout. None of my business.
Serious question sorry if this derails, I'm curious as I've never referred to a single being as "they/them". Sure I've come out with "they" as it can be singular but "them" is used when referring to more than one being, If i said "them over there" it would infer there is more than one person? How can one person be a "them" i don't get it, maybe im just too old these days.
I don't like they/them for linguistic reasons. "They/them" is indefinite (when you don't know who a person is) or plural for a group. When you know who it is, it's a plural term that only serves to confuse.

Ezekiel_

Banned

Holy fuck that's simultaneously funny and sad.

Why the fuck would you proclaim to have glasses and a beard while presenting yourself? In case someone blind is listening? Is that so much part of your core identity that you have to state it? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

clarky

Gold Member
If they wanted to spend more money on recording more voice lines, that's their lookout. None of my business.

I don't like they/them for linguistic reasons. "They/them" is indefinite (when you don't know who a person is) or plural for a group. When you know who it is, it's a plural term that only serves to confuse.
Thanks, also well explained.

Wonko_C

Oh no, a word now has more than one meaning! Whatever will you do? It's a good thing that's NEVER happened before with the English language.

Seriously, if you want to be a fucking intolerant asshole, at least have the decency to own up to it, and stop hiding behind this 'they changed the meaning of the word' bullshit.

By the way, I work with someone who identifies as non-binary. THEY're extremely pleasant to be around, and have a really positive attitude. Unlike a lot of the shit heads posting in this thread.
What the hell dude, chill. Can't you see I ended the sentence on a joke? It's such a non issue either way.

I don't even know where the intolerant angle came from, I don't care what people do with their sex life, I only see the person, that's all. you're barking at the wrong tree, amigo.

Last edited:

mekes

If there is a glitch that gives you a false pronoun will Microsoft Studios be cancelled?

”OMG my Xbox just misgendered me”

”Playground games denies my lived experience”

Last edited:

Old Retro

I fucking LOVE how these kind of threads trigger people. :ROFLMAO: I hope one day a AAA game has a character create mode that has different gayness levels based on various traits:

Dan Levy, Adam Lambert <----------------> Ricky Martin, Ian McKellan

Ellen DeGeneres, Megan Rapino <----------------> Cara Delevigne, Jameela Jamil

I'd buy it just to spite the haters. Shit I've never owned an Xbox and I'd buy Forza 5 just because.

Stuart360

I fucking LOVE how these kind of threads trigger people. :ROFLMAO: I hope one day a AAA game has a character create mode that has different gayness levels based on various traits:

Dan Levy, Adam Lambert <----------------> Ricky Martin, Ian McKellan

Ellen DeGeneres, Megan Rapino <----------------> Cara Delevigne, Jameela Jamil

I'd buy it just to spite the haters. Shit I've never owned an Xbox and I'd buy Forza 5 just because.
ru-pauls-drag-race-drag-queen.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom