• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 Gives You the Ability to Be a Non-Binary Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigSquanch

Neo Member
No drama here, certainly no existential dread.

I've simply got the wit to know when a certain ideology, a certain activist class is being pandered to by including a feature of minimal utility.

If you don't see it for what it is, not my problem.

That you'd immediately jump to the conclusion that I'm some sort of socially conservative nutbag is your problem. Note I made no judgement, I simply stated that it is corporate pandering.
Of course you would deny it, but your misuse of the word "pander" reveals much of your ideological perspective on the matter. You can try to dismiss the feature as ideological, but your perspective is no less the sort.

Though I invite you to find and quote where I stated the conclusion that you're "some sort of socially conservative nutbag". You wouldn't be projecting there, would you? You might just be a plain nutbag.:messenger_winking:

I'm curious though, what you thought of the fact that the past 4 games exclusively referred to the player as "they"? Was that ideological pandering?

MacReady13

People can say what they want, but having this pronouns bullshit in a massive release like this is pushing the narrative that this stuff is normal! It's fucking crazy shit! You are born a boy you are a MALE. You are born a girl you are a FEMALE! If you believe you are in the wrong body then fine, you are transgendered MALE or FEMALE.
But to sit here and say you would like to be identified as they/them... what the FUCK is that shit? I see you and I call you "mate", "bloke", "sir", "madam", and I might even call you by your fucking name. But fucked if i'm calling you by a god damned pronoun. The sooner we stop with this horse shit the better off this world will be. Stop feeding into this fucking insanity, but what would I expect from Microsoft? Very disappointed as I really do love Horizon 5, but it left me really pissed off that I HAD to choose my fucking pronouns.

SquillieDee

It is hilarious to me how so many people on this site use "woke" over and over and over again and have no idea what it means. lls....

BigSquanch

Neo Member
This planet is fucking retarded.

I won't ever refer to someone as 'they/them'.

You're either a he or she.
So when you read these words, and want to refer to the person typing them, do you just assume its a he? she? Do you flip a coin to pick one? Either would be idiotic when you could just refer to the ambiguous person on the other side of these words as "they".

I really doubt you'd never refer to someone as "them/them".

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I don't have a problem with it, i don't care, but it made me wonder if that was the reason for the generosity of the reviewers. We all know the gaming industry these days.

Hunnybun

This series features a radio host that will frequently refer to the player's "character" and has ALWAYS referred to the player as they/them"

What this game has added is the ability to have the game refer to you as he or she.

But of course anti-woke idiots will eat this up as pandering.

Not to mention the anti-anti-woke idiots who'll then reflexively deny the pandering.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Of course you would deny it, but your misuse of the word "pander" reveals much of your ideological perspective on the matter. You can try to dismiss the feature as ideological, but your perspective is no less the sort.

Though I invite you to find and quote where I stated the conclusion that you're "some sort of socially conservative nutbag". You wouldn't be projecting there, would you? You might just be a plain nutbag.:messenger_winking:

I'm curious though, what you thought of the fact that the past 4 games exclusively referred to the player as "they"? Was that ideological pandering?

Its the additional inclusion of a third, non-gender specific pronoun set that makes it ideological pandering. There is no use-case requirement for it, and it serves no purpose because you cannot be misgendered by a software program!

The entire notion of misgendering as an offence requires intent to offend, by denying that person's self-affirmed gender identity. Code cannot do that, it has no sapience and can only respond to the input its given.

Factoring in pronoun choice in this way is a purely political gesture, one which flatters by paying lip-service to a specific ideology. Hence; pandering, by definition.

As to the claims about my mindset and projection, allow me to quote the post to which I responded:

BigSquanch said:
What's it like to wake up every day and imagine the existential dread of society falling apart all around you based on personal references made to you by digitized voices?

Is that not describing the sort of individual for whom being represented "correctly" in a driving game matters?

Obviously you meant that in a pejorative sense against anyone critical of this particular implementation, but it inarguably shows the caricaturist version of what you think might motivate anyone who dares to proffer even mild disapproval.

Sadly it appears that like a lot of people these days, you have unwittingly become the thing you purportedly hate.

clarky

Gold Member
So when you read these words, and want to refer to the person typing them, do you just assume its a he? she? Do you flip a coin to pick one? Either would be idiotic when you could just refer to the ambiguous person on the other side of these words as "they".

I really doubt you'd never refer to someone as "them/them".
Serious question sorry if this derails, I'm curious as I've never referred to a single being as "they/them". Sure I've come out with "they" as it can be singular but "them" is used when referring to more than one being, If i said "them over there" it would infer there is more than one person? How can one person be a "them" i don't get it, maybe im just too old these days.

Last edited:
Smart-Select-20211105-140520-Chrome.jpg

Smart-Select-20211105-140604-Chrome.jpg

Mt-Z9-N-1.gif

Both 5 pages haha

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

why there is no thread about male avatars in the game of female avatars in the game?

why these idiots have to keep bringing this shit up ? shut the fuck up about it. we don't need a thread about this. seriously this is annoying as fuck.

" oh hey look we are here !! look at us !! . we are in the game look at us !! " the word pathetic doesn't even cut it man.

Queera quality thread.

DonJorginho

Banned
it's hilarious that on a gaming forum the only threads that last are ones like this that tackle "woke" topics, or threads about PS5 v XSX performance so people can console war.

why do any of you care about this? I'm all against having sjw shit pushed down my throat but this is a simple and harmless OPTION, if it ain't for you, ignore it and play it how you normally would.

that being said I'm not against free speech so I'll never go against those speaking their minds, just don't get it sometimes is all

BigSquanch

Neo Member
Serious question sorry if this derails, I'm curious as I've never referred to a single being as "they/them". Sure I've come out with "they" as it can be singular but "them" is used when referring to more than one being, If i said "them over there" it would infer there is more than one person? How can one person be a "them" i don't get it, maybe im just too old these days.
"I taught this person on Neogaf the usage of ambiguous pronouns. They picked it up very quickly. I'm glad I had the opportunity to teach them."

This is how the sentence would be constructed since I have no clue whether you're a man or a woman. Does that explain it well?

Dream-Knife

Banned
Mental illness, but this isn't that big of a deal.

That being said, I wish these games didn't have characters. In 4 they all look terrible.

Banjo64

cumsessed
However someone wants to be known as doesn't impact others - so let them identify as whomever they want to. Even at my workplace, I have to specify in my email signature what my pronoun is as we have gender neutral people within the business. I get external companies question this when I email them.
So it does impact others because as you say, you now have to include this in your email signature. I don’t subscribe to the theory of gender neutrality, and I won’t have my language dictated to me.

clarky

Gold Member
"I taught this person on Neogaf the usage of ambiguous pronouns. They picked it up very quickly. I'm glad I had the opportunity to teach them."

This is how the sentence would be constructed since I have no clue whether you're a man or a woman. Does that explain it well?
Well explained thanks.

BigSquanch

Neo Member
Its the additional inclusion of a third, non-gender specific pronoun set that makes it ideological pandering. There is no use-case requirement for it, and it serves no purpose because you cannot be misgendered by a software program!

The entire notion of misgendering as an offence requires intent to offend, by denying that person's self-affirmed gender identity. Code cannot do that, it has no sapience and can only respond to the input its given.

Factoring in pronoun choice in this way is a purely political gesture, one which flatters by paying lip-service to a specific ideology. Hence; pandering, by definition.

As to the claims about my mindset and projection, allow me to quote the post to which I responded:

Is that not describing the sort of individual for whom being represented "correctly" in a driving game matters?

Obviously you meant that in a pejorative sense against anyone critical of this particular implementation, but it inarguably shows the caricaturist version of what you think might motivate anyone who dares to proffer even mild disapproval.

Sadly it appears that like a lot of people these days, you have unwittingly become the thing you purportedly hate.
I said from the very beginning comment that you replied to, "they/them" was the implementation from the very beginning. It isn't an "additional inclusion" It's always been there. If that entire argument you just duct-taped together relies on the premise that "they/them" pronouns is an "additional inclusion", you're confused, way off the deep end, and wasting your time and mental capacity.

And unfortunately in your chosen quote, I'm making no mention or assumption of your political affiliation. If that's what you got out of that quote, that's your issue.

Wonko_C

Who cares but calling someone they/them is still ridiculous. I prefer this over Body type A or B tbh.
As a non-native speaker, I can't get over that. All my childhod I went to English school my teachers taught me "they" is plural, so when someone calls a single person "they" I can no longer know if it's referring to one or many people they're talking ab-wait a minute...

FingerBang

I don't think the game is woke enough yet. How about having a specific set of names that you get called if you're not a progressive? Center left? Fucking idiot. Center right? Piece of shit. Conservative? The game automatically shares your Twitter handler, so an army of people with anime avatars, antifa symbol and some new LGBTQ+ flag you've never seen before can directly doxx you online.

This forum is starting to piss me off with all the “anti-woke” comments all the time.

It’s GREAT that Forza 5 is giving people the CHOICE.

If this doesn’t apply to you, then move on. Seriously…

Stressed Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation
"I'm pissed off at you people but move on and ignore the message if I piss you off"

Gediminas

Banned
Game set in Mexico

Destroys the Spanish language using inclusive pronouns.

Go fuck yourself Microsoft. You don't respect our culture at all. This is what happens when recruiters go to western college campuses to hire. Proper folk from Latin America would slap these entitled kiddies right on the spot.

And I am not even talking about the biology angle. If you want to respect Hispanic culture respecting the language is a must. Otherwise stick to Forza Horizon Anglosphere/commonwealth/five eyes edition.
(y) (y) (y)

Fredrik

As a non-native speaker, I can't get over that. All my childhod I went to English school my teachers taught me "they" is plural, so when someone calls a single person "they" I can no longer know if it's referring to one or many people they're talking ab-wait a minute...
Yup it mess with my head as well. But it’s such a non-issue imo, people usually give you some kind of hint with the clothes, behaviour, voice. I’ve not once met a person I didn’t know the gender of after seeing them or hearing their voice or seeing their name. Where I live women look feminine and men look masculine, even a feminine man still look masculine compared to women. And 99% of all names are gendered. So I can’t relate to what I assume is some kind of confusion where you feel like you have to ask them about their gender, it would be seen as an insult to ask such a thing.

Last edited:

marjo

Oh no, a word now has more than one meaning! Whatever will you do? It's a good thing that's NEVER happened before with the English language.

Seriously, if you want to be a fucking intolerant asshole, at least have the decency to own up to it, and stop hiding behind this 'they changed the meaning of the word' bullshit.

By the way, I work with someone who identifies as non-binary. THEY're extremely pleasant to be around, and have a really positive attitude. Unlike a lot of the shit heads posting in this thread.

DeaDPo0L84

Does the game force you to provide your pronouns or is it completely optional?
It's forced which is my main issue. I'd be less annoyed if it was included as an option for the mentally unstable but even after choosing a blatantly obvious male character I'm then brought to a "identity" tab to choose my pronouns, and you can't opt out of it which is bullshit.

Last edited:

Banned
By the way, I work with someone who identifies as non-binary. THEY're extremely pleasant to be around, and have a really positive attitude. Unlike a lot of the shit heads posting in this thread.

serious question, what would such a person do if they went outside of the English speaking world, where there often is no "they"... it's he or she and that's it... what then?

this is one of the many things that annoys me about this crap, not only is it pure nonsense but it also completely breaks down internationally

I frequent the Apex Legends subreddit often, and in apex there is Bloodhound, who uses They pronouns in the English version, but internationally it's either he or she depending on country/language, so there was more than once the issue of ignorant Americans who can't fathom that people outside of the US might not know about this shit and instantly start piling on people who refer to Bloodhound as he or she

Last edited:

Sinfulgore

it's hilarious that on a gaming forum the only threads that last are ones like this that tackle "woke" topics, or threads about PS5 v XSX performance so people can console war.

why do any of you care about this? I'm all against having sjw shit pushed down my throat but this is a simple and harmless OPTION, if it ain't for you, ignore it and play it how you normally would.

that being said I'm not against free speech so I'll never go against those speaking their minds, just don't get it sometimes is all
If I had to guess it's because these users love gaming and they are afraid wokeness/PC culture will ruin gaming like it did the comic book industry and like it's currently doing to other forms of entertainment. Sure this is just a harmless option but you're naive if you think it just stops here. You give these people an inch and they will take a mile, we all know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom