• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 Gives You the Ability to Be a Non-Binary Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikolino840

When I saw that option for non-binary while creating a character,
I did not think this:
Z9P2Msz.png

(I just googled SJW and did not really give thought on non binary person because I may just not comprehend it)
Not at all....

I really thought about hims/she/ it/stig
dnXbQpr.jpg

101010101010010101010101001010100101010101010101111111111000010101010000000011010111111111111111
Well i can find 100% ethero and standard male/female ugly as fuck (like me) 🤣

FrankWza

Basically, if you are a good person, that is all I care about. If you aren't, well I file them under the "arsehole" directory as regardless of how someone identifies themselves as, we all have one.
Just to kind of piggyback this and relate it to gaming since this isn’t a political forum.
I think the point of this thread and the overall irony is that many, many people have made comments relating a games inclusive story to its success, both in sales and in awards.
Now, this game, without even attempting to craft or weave this into a story, has just kind of included this inclusive option. One could easily label this as pandering and many in this thread have. Right or wrong and whether or not you agree, these companies are in the business of selling as many copies as they can.
So, to paraphrase you…if it’s a good game, that’s what we should care about.
Right everyone? ;)

ethomaz

Banned
In English "They/Them" is used to describe a group of more than one person that is gender agnostic.

"They went to the park", "Have you seen them at the park"

"It/They/Them" is normally used to describe one or more genderless objects "It" being the singular.

"It was seen in the park", "They were seen in the park", "Have you seen them in the park?"

Calling a person an "It" would be seen as extremely degrading and lacking respect.

Non-Binary parlance says that "They" is to be used in all instances where "It" would otherwise be used.
That is a bit confusion for me to be fair.

"They" is not non-binary in Portugues at all... the translation is "Eles" ou "Elas", it is the plural form depending of the genre.

Non-binary people here are starting now using "Ile" or "Elu" (3rd-person binary) but that is really a big fuck off in either song and gramar so I don't think it will be incorporated to our Language but maybe they will find a better way to create non-binaries pronouns.

Today there is no option in Portugues language like English... there is no non-binaries "It" or "they" here.

Eu = I
Tu/Você - You
Ele - He
Ela - She
Vós/Vocês - You (plural)
Eles - They (feminine)
Elas - They (masculine)

We don't have differentiation between objects/person/animals so Ele/Ela is used to all... no "It" way here... after all Animals and Objects here have genre too... Eg. Machine is an object feminine in Portuguese "Máquina" so you use "Ela"... Clock is an object masculine in Portuguese "Relógio" so you use "Ele".

PS. When I say Portuguese I'me referring to Brasilian Portuguese... maybe there are some differences between original Portuguese.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Wondering what this means for the next Lara croft game. Unless, plot twist, she used to be a bloke.

Tunned

The best solution to this non existing problem? Just abolish the shitty avatar system in FH and focus solemnly on cars...

... But since that won't happen, I'm going to throw on a Stig suit and helmet on my dumbass pixel avatar, mute him/her/dog/it/group-of-chimpanzees, and play the shit out of this game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
For adding the ability for the game's voiceover to be customized to refer to you by either he or she?

Lmao, I was today years old when I found out "he", "she", and "they" were doctrinal, non-biological terms.

What's it like to wake up every day and imagine the existential dread of society falling apart all around you based on personal references made to you by digitized voices?

No drama here, certainly no existential dread.

I've simply got the wit to know when a certain ideology, a certain activist class is being pandered to by including a feature of minimal utility.

If you don't see it for what it is, not my problem.

That you'd immediately jump to the conclusion that I'm some sort of socially conservative nutbag is your problem. Note I made no judgement, I simply stated that it is corporate pandering.

CeeJay

I am a Zee and I will be heard!

I think their introduction of non binary pronouns is stunning and brave.
not sure if /s...

It's just a choice in today's world being reflected in the game for the purpose of inclusion, nothing more than that. I generally pick a female avatar in games so I don't have to stare at a guy's butt.

I'm definitely going to pick a non-binary gender for my Forza avatar and make a point of correcting anyone on chat calling me a "they/them"

Last edited:
Good. Is it a problem for you OP?
Nah... I think maybe he's just surprised that the "This shit WOKE" army hasn't coming in Seal Team 6 style and shit on this game. Everything up to this point that has been "inclusive" at all, being less attractive characters, smaller tits, might be lesbian, might be a trans has been shit on as being "woke." I personally think its mostly fanboy BS and those crying "woke" are actually the most woke. It's like when Mark Wahlberg's character in The Other Guys learned ballet to make fun on ballet and ended up being pretty good at ballet :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"only the woke can recognize the woke" - Steve Jobs (probably... or some other hippy)

FrankWza

the "This shit WOKE" army hasn't coming in Seal Team 6 style and shit on this game. Everything up to this point that has been "inclusive" at all, being less attractive characters, smaller tits, might be lesbian, might be a trans has been shit on as being "woke." I personally think its mostly fanboy BS
Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan.

elliot5

Some of y'all suggesting that the solution to a very tiny, unintrusive, optional selection for more inclusion to specific players is to instead scrap the ENTIRE thing so NOBODY gets anything at all ... is ridiculous

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

This is what NeoGAF is all about, these threads can exists, it's freedom. People can express themselves on how they feel about it without fear of being banned.

If you don't care about them, just ignore them
OP didn't express anything. Just copy pasted an article.

Quick drama grab

Chiggs

I gave my avatar a prosthetic leg and put him in a pink dress. Imagine my surprise when I found myself getting a huge hard-on.

got like ten hours game time already lol..

I say all that to say that a menu I saw before I even really dived in is not going to have me fake outraged…must be a miserable existence being fake outraged about something that has nothing to do with anything.
Pick your choice and move on, it’s going to be okay lol

Ozriel

M$FT
Game set in Mexico

Destroys the Spanish language using inclusive pronouns.

Go fuck yourself Microsoft. You don't respect our culture at all. This is what happens when recruiters go to western college campuses to hire. Proper folk from Latin America would slap these entitled kiddies right on the spot.

And I am not even talking about the biology angle. If you want to respect Hispanic culture respecting the language is a must. Otherwise stick to Forza Horizon Anglosphere/commonwealth/five eyes edition.

I love how Playground spent time detailing how they went to great lengths to respect and project Mexican culture in the game. From the radio stations, to custom murals to showcasing your country.

But you're raving at the mouth because they've put options for prosthetic limbs and pronouns.

Is it crack?

Honey Bunny

Non-binary or gender neutral is when someone feels they are neither male or female by definition. They want to be who they want to be without the default copy and paste that genders entail.

I didn't understand all this stuff (i'm 43 and pretty new to all these recent terms) until I spoke with someone who was gender neutral and they explained it to me. I totally get it and understand.

I also had a transgender friend who transitioned from male to female - she didn't understand this either and her view was "they are attention seekers" - so even within the circles of transgender, there are non-understanding views too.

However someone wants to be known as doesn't impact others - so let them identify as whomever they want to. Even at my workplace, I have to specify in my email signature what my pronoun is as we have gender neutral people within the business. I get external companies question this when I email them.

Basically, if you are a good person, that is all I care about. If you aren't, well I file them under the "arsehole" directory as regardless of how someone identifies themselves as, we all have one.
The pronouns people use to refer to them does not 'define them' in any way. You can be a feminine male, a masculine woman or anything in between or outside those boxes. They're creating a solution in search of a problem. 'Coming out as non-binary' with special pronouns is coming out as a narcissist.

And it's all harmless until someone loses their job for not playing their little pronoun game.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
I love how Playground spent time detailing how they went to great lengths to respect and project Mexican culture in the game. From the radio stations, to custom murals to showcasing your country.

But you're raving at the mouth because they've put options for prosthetic limbs and pronouns.

Is it crack?

Language is part of the culture they are trying so depict. They should have respected that as well. Spanish speakers don't need those pronouns or crap like latinx straight from bored kids American college campuses forced upon us.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Language is part of the culture they are trying so depict. They should have respected that as well. Spanish speakers don't need those pronouns or crap like latinx straight from bored kids American college campuses forced upon us.
This. Besides, from a pure language standpoint, I cant' see how to incorporate Latinx fully into the language.

CeeJay

The El Camino is in the game
Yep

Any more?

OK, i know there are a lot of car factories in Mexico that produce various family saloons, hatchbacks, SUVs and trucks. My point is that there are mostly cars from around the world that make up the roster so the fact that there are pronouns that have no Mexican equivalent doesn't mean that Playground are disrespecting the culture. The premise of the game is that it's a festival that takes place in a different part of the world each time which attracts people and cars from all over the globe. A FH game that was insular and faithfully recreated the culture with nothing from outside would have a pretty shit roster of vehicles. I am sure the game can still respect the Mexican culture while also being inclusive.

ethomaz

Banned
Lógico que tem mano Eli, ili, Ilx, Elx, delis, nosses e por aí vai.
Não são partes da língua Portuguesa… Eli, Ile, Ili, Ilx, Elx, Delis não são pronomes… não são nem mesmo palavras na língua Portuguesa podem ser no máximo nomes/substantivos criados para nomear algo.
Diferente do They/It na linguagem Inglesa.

Last edited:

Banned
so has anyone tried this in non english versions yet? because this stuff doesn't work in most languages, so all I can think off is they might completely try to stop referring to you in any way but with your selected name/nickname

thegame983

Is there an option to not have pronouns? Or do you have to choose one of the options?

If not, then it's not very inclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom